Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Black August posted:

To this day I have not found another game that quite gives the same satisfaction as the super shotgun. You'd think it'd be easy to recreate but games seem allergic to "giant blast gun". Same with chainsaws. Fallout NV got chainsaws pretty right. Shame Fallout 4 skipped them. They don't look fun in Doom 4. Let me swing the drat thing or just push it out to grind things up, save the execution wank for the minibosses.

It was Raven and not iD proper but the Particle Cannon in Wolfenstein 2009 felt awesome. It was a beam weapon that you had to charge up for a split second before you could fire it, so the Nazis would usually have just enough time to yell out "HE'S GOT A PARTICLE CA-!" before you vaporize them into skeletons with a satisfying WHUMPF. :supaburn:

It's one of the few times where you kill a boss and get their weapon and it's just as powerful and badass as when it was being used against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sleeveless posted:

It was Raven and not iD proper but the Particle Cannon in Wolfenstein 2009 felt awesome. It was a beam weapon that you had to charge up for a split second before you could fire it, so the Nazis would usually have just enough time to yell out "HE'S GOT A PARTICLE CA-!" before you vaporize them into skeletons with a satisfying WHUMPF. :supaburn:

It's one of the few times where you kill a boss and get their weapon and it's just as powerful and badass as when it was being used against you.

Wolfenstein 2009 had a very satisfying arsenal in general, only real change I'd make would be to switch out that assault rifle for a shotgun, cause it was kinda redundant to have both it and a sub-machine gun in the same game(I'd also have the flamethrower show up a lot earlier and have more common ammo, cause it's the best video game flamethrower I've ever used)

Also the Kar-98's bayonet had one of the most satisfying melee kills in any shooter I've played that didn't have a dedicated melee weapon

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think in games the two greatest shotguns ever are of course the Doom II super shotgun and the shotgun in the original Metal Slug. Every time you fire it the entire screen flashes white for a split second as anyone within half a screen of it gets bloodily blown apart and vaporized. :black101:

The "slow but strong" weapon in S.A.R.: Search and Rescue also by SNK deserves some mention, but it's helped by that game's ultra ultra ultra gore for something made in 1989. Sick game plus just like Doom a few of the songs sound like they wished they were making a Black Sabbath album a little too hard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j6JfFNDyLU

Despite it of course being a huge Alien/Aliens ripoff, Konami actually borrowed a couple of things like the yellow acid spitting xenomorphs for their official Aliens game a year later. :D

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 23, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The SSG isn't just satisfying to use, it's effective, to the extent that those are two distinct qualities. Effective and versatile. I can't think of a single enemy in the stock bestiary that it's bad against, unless you count being an inefficient use of ammo against the very weakest enemies, which is only a problem in maps that are stingy with their supplies. I'll often use it against Barons or Cyberdemons even when I have nominally more powerful weapons.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
FEAR had a pretty good shotgun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coFLF3itB5A

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

JerryLee posted:

The SSG isn't just satisfying to use, it's effective, to the extent that those are two distinct qualities. Effective and versatile. I can't think of a single enemy in the stock bestiary that it's bad against, unless you count being an inefficient use of ammo against the very weakest enemies, which is only a problem in maps that are stingy with their supplies. I'll often use it against Barons or Cyberdemons even when I have nominally more powerful weapons.

It's true, it's 50 full on shotgun blasts to kill a Cyberdemon on default so the super shotgun doing 2.8x damage lets it hang against anything.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

JerryLee posted:

I can't think of a single enemy in the stock bestiary that it's bad against, unless you count being an inefficient use of ammo against the very weakest enemies, which is only a problem in maps that are stingy with their supplies.

I don't think its very good against Pain Elementals out in the open since it pushes them quite far away with one shot, at which point its difficult to finish them off because of the distance and the Elemental's ability to spawn Lost Souls as a sort of meatshield.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

echronorian posted:

I wish shooters had level wide nemesis bosses that stalk you and do away with arenas all together

You and me both buddy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Its not the same boomstick of death as the SSG style, but that does feel very satisfying. On that note, I have to give Modern Warfare credit, they do a pretty good shotgun.

Lots of games like Halo, the shotgun is just this weird gun stick that you happen to load individual shells into. But FEAR and Modern Warfare, the shotgun actually feels like a proper shotgun. It kicks like a mule and you really feel the shot expanding out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I really loved Wolfenstein:TNO's auto shotguns; the way they blow off limbs, the fact that it upgrades into a flak cannon, the fact that you can dual wield them...

That said, while the game had a very satisfying arsenal, it was definitely lacking in variety and missed some of the more exotic weapons of its predecessors.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

fishmech posted:

He's your co-op mode pal.
Players 2-4 are grey, brown and red. :colbert:

Zaphod42 posted:

The pump action is good, but the SSG in Doom 2 is the real poo poo. That is the most satisfying weapon in any FPS. Boom, chunk-chunk. Boom, chunk-chunk. Mmm, soo good.
It's certainly a contender. The stake gun in Painkiller is pretty awesome too though. Or Quake's Perforator. Unreal Tournament's Redeemer. Rise of the Triad's drunk missile.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Those are all good, but the SSG is the king. :colbert:

Also personally I would rank the Flak Cannon above the Redeemer as coolest UT weapon, but I'd have the redeemer slightly ahead of the Rocket Launcher. Redeemer was fun times. But man I love that Flak cannon, what a great weapon. The two alt fire modes were very distinct and useful in different situations, but they made sense coming from the same gun and both felt great to use.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Also personally I would rank the Flak Cannon above the Redeemer as coolest UT weapon, but I'd have the redeemer slightly ahead of the Rocket Launcher. Redeemer was fun times. But man I love that Flak cannon, what a great weapon. The two alt fire modes were very distinct and useful in different situations, but they made sense coming from the same gun and both felt great to use.

I think the flak cannon is the best weapon in any game. Its two fire modes make it useful in just about any situation, but it's not overpowered or unfun to play against. And I generally found the redeemer all but useless. But if we're talking about how satisfying they are, the flak cannon is pure functionality whereas the redeemer is big and impressive and really makes its presence felt. Whether you're landing a missile in the middle of a bunch of people and seeing them all obliterated or dodging behind a pillar to avoid the shockwave, it's a weapon that demands your attention.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mordja posted:

I really loved Wolfenstein:TNO's auto shotguns; the way they blow off limbs, the fact that it upgrades into a flak cannon, the fact that you can dual wield them...

That said, while the game had a very satisfying arsenal, it was definitely lacking in variety and missed some of the more exotic weapons of its predecessors.

The New Order really suffered from the action being too split up and inconsistent. It is a problem that The Old Blood expansion rectified. It makes it really hard for me to replay the New Order because I can't just jump in. I have to deal with a bunch of other poo poo.

Zaphod42 posted:

I really like the enforcer? Whatever pistol it was that you start out with in UT99. It was very effective as a starting weapon.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I really like the enforcer? Whatever pistol it was that you start out with in UT99. It was very effective as a starting weapon.

All the guns in that game are good, really. I know a lot of people don't like the GES biorifle, but I think its main flaw is just being outclassed by most other weapons, and even so it still has its uses.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I think the flak cannon is the best weapon in any game. Its two fire modes make it useful in just about any situation, but it's not overpowered or unfun to play against. And I generally found the redeemer all but useless. But if we're talking about how satisfying they are, the flak cannon is pure functionality whereas the redeemer is big and impressive and really makes its presence felt. Whether you're landing a missile in the middle of a bunch of people and seeing them all obliterated or dodging behind a pillar to avoid the shockwave, it's a weapon that demands your attention.

One of my favorite stories of all time from UT was when I was playing UT'99 with friends back in high school, and somebody hit me right in the face with the redeemer, killing me, and then I spammed the respawn button to get back into the action, and actually managed to spawn close enough and fast enough that the shockwave from the redeemer missile that just killed me killed me AGAIN.

I mean drat, I can't even be mad, that's loving amazing.

Tiggum posted:

All the guns in that game are good, really. I know a lot of people don't like the GES biorifle, but I think its main flaw is just being outclassed by most other weapons, and even so it still has its uses.

Yeah Q3 had weapons I wasn't crazy about, like the grenade launcher or even the lightning gun.

But UT's weapons were pretty much all amazing. The alt-fire modes gave you lots of tactical options, and they were pretty much all satisfying to use.
Also, several Q3 weapons looked kidna boring or dumb, but UT's guns all looked cool.

Like if I had to pick my least favorite UT weapon it'd probably be the green-crap gun (I forget its real name since we always called it the green-crap gun, bio gun or something?) and maybe the enforcer just because its kinda simple, although being able to dual-wield the starting gun for more damage is pretty genius. I guess the minigun was kinda boring but it still worked very well.

Stuff like the shock-combo or being able to load 3 rockets into the launcher were loving awesome. Q3 had none of that.
And yet for some reason I probably played more Q3 overall.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 23, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Its funny how you can't remember the exact name of the gun you literally quoted the guy talking about.

Also you could load 6 rockets (or grenades!) into that launcher.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AirRaid posted:

Its funny how you can't remember the exact name of the gun you literally quoted the guy talking about.

Also you could load 6 rockets (or grenades!) into that launcher.

I was writing a review to the first post and then I noticed the second as I was writing it and didn't finish reading it :doh:

Also totally forgot that. In 2003 and 2004 and UT3 it was only 3, but yeah in '99 you could have 6. Good times.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Getting good with the goo gun in UT was a badge of honor

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The ut99 biorifle is also the most OP gun in the UT series for anyone with aim.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Smdh @ zaphod

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I just never liked the idea of laying down goo on the floor, like you were running away or chipping at somebody's ankles. I'd much rather have a rocket launcher or a rifle or a shock.
But like I said, all the UT guns are great! its hard to pick a bad one. Green-crap / bio gun is not bad by any means and laying down a stream of goo on somebody was pretty good times.

Also the new UT lets you do some sick stuff with the green-crap gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3swftlvrYU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the goo gun was an instakill grenade launcher for people who could aim :smug:

even against full shields, they needed to have picked up megahealth the exact second they got hit with it to survive

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The UT rocket launcher's only flaw is that it's not the 8-ball launcher fron Unreal 1. I know why it was toned down a bit for balance but I wish they kept the look of it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Welcome to the Early FPS megathread v2, brought to you by sperglord16!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Blow it out your rear end.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kazvall posted:

Early FPS Megathread v2: No Arivias Allowed

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the goo gun was an instakill grenade launcher for people who could aim :smug:

even against full shields, they needed to have picked up megahealth the exact second they got hit with it to survive

Yeah but so was the flak but it was even cooler. :colbert:

Goo gun is pretty much a worse flak in every way, which is why I don't like it as much. And I live for the flak in UT.

But if you're without a good gun, its better than the enforcer in a pinch.

Kazvall posted:

I made this thread because we kept talking about Doom4 in the Early FPS thread and it felt kinda unrelated, its not an 'Early' FPS.

Of course then we just end up discussing early FPS in the Doom 4 thread :negative:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Kazvall posted:

The aughtism years

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but so was the flak but it was even cooler. :colbert:

Goo gun is pretty much a worse flak in every way, which is why I don't like it as much. And I live for the flak in UT.

But if you're without a good gun, its better than the enforcer in a pinch.
the flak cannon didn't instagib shield users, but the biorifle did

it was sort of balanced because the biorifle took a year to charge and had half of the range of the flak cannon

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

echronorian posted:

The aughtism years

Beautiful

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Zaphod42 posted:

Try reading the thread as we've discussed these points already :effort:

You can run fast, but not quake3 fast. You do have a double-barreled shotgun and you can slap enemies in the side with it to murder them. You can rapid-fire rockets and carry 8 weapons at a time.

We do not know how labyrinthine levels will be.

You can ignore the kills and no, it isn't like you can't kill them without them. However, killing them seems to give you some bonus like healing you, so it may be harder without.

Its not going to be anything like Brutal Doom, and Brutal Doom isn't even all that much like Doom. Go ahead and stick to Brutal Doom nobody cares.

I am satisfied with this answer. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So if I want to play Final Doom and Master Levels Of Doom 2, am I better off doing the Steam/Dosbox version, or going with a source port?

I want as close to a vanilla old school Doom experience, no new bells and whistles like new lighting or jumping or new textures and poo poo. So I'd prefer to not have to grapple with a source port that added in a bunch of new poo poo, just so I can turn all of the new features off.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Xenomrph posted:

So if I want to play Final Doom and Master Levels Of Doom 2, am I better off doing the Steam/Dosbox version, or going with a source port?

I want as close to a vanilla old school Doom experience, no new bells and whistles like new lighting or jumping or new textures and poo poo. So I'd prefer to not have to grapple with a source port that added in a bunch of new poo poo, just so I can turn all of the new features off.

I recommend source ports, I love GZDoom myself. You can set various lighting settings, some of them looks a lot like the original software renderer. Do you like mouse aiming, looking up and down? I do, so the feel of GZDoom is the best for me.

You can also play GZDoom in software renderer, or just use ZDoom. Or there's a more oldschool-ish styed one called ChocolateDoom. So you could probably get what you're looking for in a source port, and they don't change the textures or anything (as long as you choose unfiltered textures in the options)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Sourceports are the way to go always.

Skulltag or Zandronum for deathmatch, ZDoom, GZDoom or Doomsday for single player and co-op with fancy graphics and lighting,

But if you want strictly OG doom experience with no bells n whistles, the answer is clear:

Chocolate Doom.

https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Downloads

Named such because its as close to vanilla doom as you can get without being literally vanilla doom which doesn't always run nice on modern hardware.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What's my best source port if I don't want to waste time fiddling with options in order to recreate vanilla, unmodified Doom? Like surely there's a source port of Doom out there for purists, with default settings that are just like the original game, right?

Like I want to play Doom, not the Star Wars Special Edition of Doom with new stuff tacked on.

Is Chocolate Doom my best bet?

Edit-- took too long to click Post! :downs:

Edit again--

If I'm using Chocolate Doom and I own Final Doom on Steam, is it easy to take the WADs from Steam and drop them into the source port or whatever?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 23, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Yes. Grab Doom.wad, Doom2.wad, Plutonia.wad or TNT.wad and chuck them into the directory with chocolate doom's exe. Do it one at a time and it'll autodetect them just fine, otherwise use a shortcut with the "-iwad whatever.wad" commandline switch.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

If I'm using Chocolate Doom and I own Final Doom on Steam, is it easy to take the WADs from Steam and drop them into the source port or whatever?

This is definitely the case because every computer I've ever had to the present I've been able to use DOOM/II/Heretic/etc. WAD files of mine from like 1995.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yep, WADs were a custom format and all source ports have to implement that format, so the same WADs from forever ago still work great. Good job Carmack.

There are a few modern WADs that won't play nice with old engines / ports, but everything should at least be forwards-compatible. A source port could say "we're not going to handle X" so they could focus on Y or whatever, but there's not much reason to ever do that. You just add whatever you want to do instead as something around the original WAD options, there's no need to make old WADs incompatible like, ever.

But really fancy modern WADs that do stuff like room-over-room will require a specific sourceport and won't work on others at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zaphod42 posted:

Sourceports are the way to go always.

Skulltag or Zandronum for deathmatch, ZDoom, GZDoom or Doomsday for single player and co-op with fancy graphics and lighting,

But if you want strictly OG doom experience with no bells n whistles, the answer is clear:

Chocolate Doom.

https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Downloads

Named such because its as close to vanilla doom as you can get without being literally vanilla doom which doesn't always run nice on modern hardware.
Is the Chocolate Doom link not cooperating for anyone else? The page keeps timing out for me, but "downforeveryoneorjustme" insists that it's up.