Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Ytlaya posted:

Even though I'm expecting it to happen, I'm hoping Urahara doesn't use his bankai in this fight. He's always seemed like a much more important character than just some guy who will take out one of the boss's "Elite 4." I mean, he was ultimately responsible for defeating Aizen, who is the only other "end boss "this comic has had. Then again, there aren't really enough important enemies to make use of all the seemingly important Soul Society characters (Ichigo, Aizen, Urahawa, and maybe Ishida).

I think it's likely we will see Urahara's bankai here, but if so I doubt that would be the end of him. I have a feeling he has something else up his sleeve for later. It's also possible that instead of Urahara's bankai we might see him figure out a way to get Yoruichi back on her feet and we finally see her do something with her sword (if she even has it anymore?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Hopefully it is the last time we see him and any of this. Bleach is getting into Naruto mode for me right now and it's really sad.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

The extent to which Bleach uses the "good guy thinks they defeated an enemy but then he rises from the figurative ashes in a new form" trope is downright comical at this point. I'm not really angry or upset about it at all since it takes about 5 minutes a week to read this, but it's just nuts that his editor is letting him do this stuff. The way literally every single battle in the past couple years (I think without exception?) has followed this exact same template is downright uncanny. It's one thing to have enemies no-sell attacks; almost all shounen battle comics do that. But it's another thing entirely to have "turns into a new form in response to 'final' attack of the good guy" be so common; usually that trope is only used during fights against the Big Bad.

Even though I'm expecting it to happen, I'm hoping Urahara doesn't use his bankai in this fight. He's always seemed like a much more important character than just some guy who will take out one of the boss's "Elite 4." I mean, he was ultimately responsible for defeating Aizen, who is the only other "end boss "this comic has had. Then again, there aren't really enough important enemies to make use of all the seemingly important Soul Society characters (Ichigo, Aizen, Urahawa, and maybe Ishida).

True. But at least Urahara didn't think this "ultimate" attack finished the guy. Time for the next ultimate attack.

I wonder if he'll change into an owl centaur as well.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Bisse posted:

Like I can understand this show is only about fights at this point, with zero focus on logic or story, but I don't even see what's supposed to be entertaining about something like this.

Kubo doesn't want to entertain. He just wants to keep this final arc going for as long as possible.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Doresh posted:

Kubo doesn't want to entertain. He just wants to keep this final arc going for as long as possible.

More like he dropped the ball on so much stuff he has to cram all the stuff he didn't do earlier into 1 arc cus we needed 500 chapters of Hueco Mundo.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Kild posted:

More like he dropped the ball on so much stuff he has to cram all the stuff he didn't do earlier into 1 arc cus we needed 500 chapters of Hueco Mundo.

God help us all if he starts tackling Hell or "Just how does the Soul Society look in other parts of the world?" all of a sudden. It will never end.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Doresh posted:

God help us all if he starts tackling Hell or "Just how does the Soul Society look in other parts of the world?" all of a sudden. It will never end.

Imagine if all the Sternritter get defeated and the Shinigami assemble in front of Yhwach, then he opens a gate to Hell and drops them all in it resulting in a sub-arc where they have to fight back out.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Shoren posted:

Imagine if all the Sternritter get defeated and the Shinigami assemble in front of Yhwach, then he opens a gate to Hell and drops them all in it resulting in a sub-arc where they have to fight back out.

Or the Shinigami suddenly get reinforcements from German Soul Society, introducing another set of 20+ character and leading to around a year's worth of flashbacks so we know what each of these guys did during every previous arc and what other terribly relevant events happened to them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Doresh posted:

Or the Shinigami suddenly get reinforcements from German Soul Society, introducing another set of 20+ character and leading to around a year's worth of flashbacks so we know what each of these guys did during every previous arc and what other terribly relevant events happened to them.

If we're doing that, I'd prefer Chad's grandpa show up with a crew from North American Soul Society: an Aztec, an old school mountain man, a conquistador, and the extra furious ghost of Andrew Jackson who has been told that his wife was called a whore by Bach.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Gyges posted:

If we're doing that, I'd prefer Chad's grandpa show up with a crew from North American Soul Society: an Aztec, an old school mountain man, a conquistador, and the extra furious ghost of Andrew Jackson who has been told that his wife was called a whore by Bach.

Why not both? Let's make this the Bleach World Tour.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

exploring other ghost civilizations would be rad.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

hiddenriverninja posted:

exploring other ghost civilizations would be rad.

But ultimately be better done as a separate manga. I'd read Bleach 2: Now with more cowboys.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gyges posted:

lol if you think a North American Soul Society would have anything other than a bunch of cowboys and maybe a stereotypical native american

(yes I am aware that North America has more than just the US in it, but anime/manga generally isn't)

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So I think I understand why Ichigo's super factor is his potential or whatever. I remember way back in the storybthat aisen was researching hollowfication to break the barrier of growth that shinigami have or something. And when ichigo fought byakuya, the dude said ichigo hit his peak, he can't just get stronger.

Ichigo, and by extension his sisters probably, doesn't have this barrier. He has hollow powers. Either at birth by being part hollow from his mom, or his zanpaktou (inner powers I guess) was hollowfied to begin with but ichigo wasn't, OR when urahara cut his soul chain and let ichigo hollowfy to unleash his shinigami powers. Whatever, he is it.

And unlike quincy who lack inner power or whatever the gently caress it is that bach fills when he gives powers to quincies, ichigo probably never has to deal with that because he's part normal non-quincy soul and also shinigami ala his dad.

In other words he has no barriers to his growth, or that he has no known barriers and determining his full strength is kinda impossible. That's the reason why bach labeled him a war power, and also explains his protagonist powers I guess.

I think the reason why he was so strong to begin with was due to the fact that he was a naturally born soul from both quincy and shinigami nobility. Byakuya straight up said back when he first fought ichigo in the real world that his strength was similar to a just that, and not a normal human. His growth since then has been enhanced due to urahara's training, yoruichi's training, the vaisard's training and even aisen specifically manipulating his fights to be just enough to push him to the next level, as he said back in the fake karakura arc. Which honestly I'm pretty sure he was bluffing.

Edit: and we just saw yoruichi's bro not only be super strong, but also mastering shunko is what I guess is a short period. Or hell maybe just him mastering it at all. He's a naturally born soul from one of soul society's nobel houses, just like ichigo. And considering that byakuya is known to be a fan favorite pretty freaking tough, I think Ichigo being dunb strong at a young age isn't unheard of. I do think that his growth is the alarming factor that no one can account for.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 22, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

So I think I understand why Ichigo's super factor is his potential or whatever. I remember way back in the storybthat aisen was researching hollowfication to break the barrier of growth that shinigami have or something. And when ichigo fought byakuya, the dude said ichigo hit his peak, he can't just get stronger.

Ichigo, and by extension his sisters probably, doesn't have this barrier. He has hollow powers. Either at birth by being part hollow from his mom, or his zanpaktou (inner powers I guess) was hollowfied to begin with but ichigo wasn't, OR when urahara cut his soul chain and let ichigo hollowfy to unleash his shinigami powers. Whatever, he is it.

And unlike quincy who lack inner power or whatever the gently caress it is that bach fills when he gives powers to quincies, ichigo probably never has to deal with that because he's part normal non-quincy soul and also shinigami ala his dad.

In other words he has no barriers to his growth, or that he has no known barriers and determining his full strength is kinda impossible. That's the reason why bach labeled him a war power, and also explains his protagonist powers I guess.

I think the reason why he was so strong to begin with was due to the fact that he was a naturally born soul from both quincy and shinigami nobility. Byakuya straight up said back when he first fought ichigo in the real world that his strength was similar to a just that, and not a normal human. His growth since then has been enhanced due to urahara's training, yoruichi's training, the vaisard's training and even aisen specifically manipulating his fights to be just enough to push him to the next level, as he said back in the fake karakura arc. Which honestly I'm pretty sure he was bluffing.

Edit: and we just saw yoruichi's bro not only be super strong, but also mastering shunko is what I guess is a short period. Or hell maybe just him mastering it at all. He's a naturally born soul from one of soul society's nobel houses, just like ichigo. And considering that byakuya is known to be a fan favorite pretty freaking tough, I think Ichigo being dunb strong at a young age isn't unheard of. I do think that his growth is the alarming factor that no one can account for.

You have already spent more time thinking about this than Kubo.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
People like to joke about it (or not?) but it's really true Ichigo hasn't really felt like the main character since the beginning of the Quincy arc. I've been rereading bleach, he definitely was right up until the end of the fullbringer arc, but starting from the quincy arc he's become this kind of force that is only referred to as such by other characters. He feels more like those sequel series that has the the character from the previous show come back but never really do much (drawing a blank on an example).

e: some more observations:

- The very beginning of the series is so dull, it never really picks up until Ishida is introduced, before then it's this bland typical shonen. Admittedly it's got a lot more humour, but even then the occasional weird jokes now are still funnier. Dunno what series you lot are remembering.
- The Hueco mundo arc before the karakura town section is the best part of the whole manga, even better than soul society, partly due to just Pesche, the best character.
- Even the karakura town section isn't so bad, it completely hits the shitter once Aizen starts inexplicably one shotting everyone though.
- Byakuya is actually pretty cool, a lot more than I remember.
- Hitsugaya is still the worst.

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 22, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ytlaya posted:

lol if you think a North American Soul Society would have anything other than a bunch of cowboys and maybe a stereotypical native american

(yes I am aware that North America has more than just the US in it, but anime/manga generally isn't)

Plot twist, Japanese Soul Society has had it wrong all this time and Hueco Mundo was actually just Mexican Soul Society

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Does that mean Hell is really just Australia? That's where the criminals go.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

sharktamer posted:

People like to joke about it (or not?) but it's really true Ichigo hasn't really felt like the main character since the beginning of the Quincy arc. I've been rereading bleach, he definitely was right up until the end of the fullbringer arc, but starting from the quincy arc he's become this kind of force that is only referred to as such by other characters. He feels more like those sequel series that has the the character from the previous show come back but never really do much (drawing a blank on an example).

e: some more observations:

- The very beginning of the series is so dull, it never really picks up until Ishida is introduced, before then it's this bland typical shonen. Admittedly it's got a lot more humour, but even then the occasional weird jokes now are still funnier. Dunno what series you lot are remembering.
- The Hueco mundo arc before the karakura town section is the best part of the whole manga, even better than soul society, partly due to just Pesche, the best character.
- Even the karakura town section isn't so bad, it completely hits the shitter once Aizen starts inexplicably one shotting everyone though.
- Byakuya is actually pretty cool, a lot more than I remember.
- Hitsugaya is still the worst.

Hueco Mundo is only good in hindsight because you don't feel that Kubo is just stalling. Reading it just felt like filler if you kept up with event. It really doesn't help if you also watched the Anime first (which I think most people did) since they threw a ton of filler in there. It's aggravatingly slow paced but I'm sure read fine when you are actually reading it. The current arc might also read pretty good when the entire manga is all over with.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Ichigo just has all the markers of all the powers introduced as far:

1. Dad's a shingami
2. Mom's a human Quincy
3. Mom was attacked by a hollow pre-his birth and bonded to her (born with hollow powers AND fullbringer marker)
4. Mom was attacked post-his birth by hollow but killed by Quincy siphoning (fullbringer marker)

He's basically the spiritual mutt that trumps all others on some level (Quincy "allergic" to hollows, human souls turn into hollows...).

The only power not greatly explained was the soul King and the left hand/right hand thing exactly, though one was Quincified.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

sharktamer posted:

So you're saying he's Joseph Joestar in Part 3, or Jotaro in Part 4.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

AnonSpore posted:

Plot twist, Japanese Soul Society has had it wrong all this time and Hueco Mundo was actually just Mexican Soul Society

Possible. Though I think it would be funny for the Mexican Shinigami to have to fend off Yokai-themed Hollows.

hagie posted:

1. Dad's a shingami
2. Mom's a human Quincy
3. Mom was attacked by a hollow pre-his birth and bonded to her (born with hollow powers AND fullbringer marker)
4. Mom was attacked post-his birth by hollow but killed by Quincy siphoning (fullbringer marker)

In short: Since he already got his final sword upgrade ages ago, Kubo had to introduce more and more weird stuff to his backstory in order to justify further power-ups. If Ichigo were a Dungeons & Dragons character, you wouldn't be able to find a character sheet whose race and class entries had enough space to fit his absurd munchkin build.

(Though I am glad this backstory stuff is limited to only his mom and dad. Just imagine the possibilities of Ichigo gaining a nother set of powers because some demon-thing looked at him funny when he was crossing the street as a little kid. Or maybe his grandmother was a half-angel and the genes skip a generation.)

sharktamer posted:

Don Kanonji would like to have a word with you.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 22, 2016

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

sharktamer posted:

If you wanna reference it from other stuff besides JoJo, this is kind of Legend of Korra's actions towards Toph and Katara; they're refereed to as enormously powerful and like they could solve all problems but circumstances or refusal makes them not.

The JoJo comparison is probably way better if you compare him to Jotaro in Part 4 since there isn't really any reason why he isn't the protagonist other then 'it's not really his story anymore'

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

sharktamer posted:

People like to joke about it (or not?) but it's really true Ichigo hasn't really felt like the main character since the beginning of the Quincy arc. I've been rereading bleach, he definitely was right up until the end of the fullbringer arc, but starting from the quincy arc he's become this kind of force that is only referred to as such by other characters.

Yeah, but in this arc I really feel as though the baddies are going out of their way to avoid him/keep him out of the focus as they really don't want to have to deal with that. This actually fits with bach being able to see the future or whatever bullshit.

hagie posted:

Ichigo just has all the markers of all the powers introduced as far:

1. Dad's a shingami
2. Mom's a human Quincy

He's basically the spiritual mutt that trumps all others on some level (Quincy "allergic" to hollows, human souls turn into hollows...).

The only power not greatly explained was the soul King and the left hand/right hand thing exactly, though one was Quincified.

Well yeah, actually. Him having all the powers is kinda an unkown as well. Hollow and quincy are supposed to destroy each other, but Ichigo doesn't.

Ichigo's potential is more than him having no barriers to his growth, which is totally a thing it makes too much sense and has been foreshadowed enough. What do you get when you mix hollow and shinigami? We know this, you get vaizard and arrancar. What about quincy and hollow? Technically you can't, but bach did give some arramcar quincy poo poo to test that out maybe. What about everything together? No one loving knows. Due to aizen's loving about with bad science, and urahara's loving about with pretty solid science, ichigo as he is now exists. The baddies don't know what he can do, hell ichigo doesn't know what he can do. But urahara, the dude who the bad guys really don't want to be analyzing poo poo, has been analyzing ichigo from who knows how long. Can't say he knows either, but that's why ichigo is a war power. What can he potentially do? No one loving knows. I can't say it's good writing, but it makes sense for the villian's reaction. Honestly in a game where your enemies have stupid super bullshit powers, not knowing what someone can do is bad. Having someone who breaks all the current rules, and who operates in a way you just don't know yet, that is bad.

Bach has counter measures for the shinigami, for traitorous quincy, for the hollow and for whatever the gently caress. What was his counter measure for ichigo? Sit back and use him as the weapon to kill the soul king, knock him down to the basement and go to sleep. It's not that ichigo has all the powers, it's that the powers shouldn't work together but now they do and nothing works against him correctly and he won't stop growing and

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 22, 2016

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

It's going to turn out that the Zangetsu spirits within Ichigo aren't actually reflections of Bach but instead the Soul of the Soul King, and that he didn't kill them off when he spirit bombed Aizen. Ichigo gets control and presses swords with Bach for 40 chapters.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Doresh posted:

In short: Since he already got his final sword upgrade ages ago, Kubo had to introduce more and more weird stuff to his backstory in order to justify further power-ups. If Ichigo were a Dungeons & Dragons character, you wouldn't be able to find a character sheet whose race and class entries had enough space to fit his absurd munchkin build.

Although there would still have been a lot of plot threads hanging, the defeat of Aizen and Ichigo losing all his powers to accomplish it would have really been the best place to end Bleach.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

alkanphel posted:

Although there would still have been a lot of plot threads hanging, the defeat of Aizen and Ichigo losing all his powers to accomplish it would have really been the best place to end Bleach.

Who's to say that isn't how it will end? Ichigo even has more powers to lose now.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

chumbler posted:

Who's to say that isn't how it will end? Ichigo even has more powers to lose now.

Well it might end like that again but we would have had to sit through the nonsense of everything that's happening so far.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sprite141 posted:

It's because he's the protagonist.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sprite141 posted:

Well yeah, actually. Him having all the powers is kinda an unkown as well. Hollow and quincy are supposed to destroy each other, but Ichigo doesn't.

it's probably the same reason that his mom was spritually tied to his dad, shinigami apparently can balance out the quincy/hollow interaction

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

dordreff posted:

So you're saying he's Joseph Joestar in Part 3, or Jotaro in Part 4.

Yeah, that's a perfect comparison, the avatar one is good too.

Doresh posted:

Don Kanonji would like to have a word with you.

What does that even mean? I just said the beginning is boring as poo poo and Don Kanonji isn't even funny. Kubo's sense of comedy and timing improves much later and Pesche is the best and funniest and you're wrong please realise that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Early Bleach is good and Grand Fisher is still the best villain in the series. He doesn't have much competition but the point stands.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kenpachi vs Ichigo will always be my favorite fight in the series.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Bacontotem posted:

It's going to turn out that the Zangetsu spirits within Ichigo aren't actually reflections of Bach but instead the Soul of the Soul King, and that he didn't kill them off when he spirit bombed Aizen. Ichigo gets control and presses swords with Bach for 40 chapters.

Didn't we already see that the spirits were still alive in him when ichigo got his new sword forged from the cool dude? But yeah unironically I'd like to see some more sword pressing, kubo's battle scenes have been pretty ok. Or maybe I'm thinking of the anime?

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 23, 2016

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Early Bleach is good and Grand Fisher is still the best villain in the series. He doesn't have much competition but the point stands.

Too bad his conclusion was bad.
It was basically:
He's an Arrancar, they're mighty!
Here's Ishin
And now he's dead.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth TNT posted:

Too bad his conclusion was bad.
It was basically:
He's an Arrancar, they're mighty!
Here's Ishin
And now he's dead.

You know what had a good conclusion?

Kenpachi versus Ichigo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's this really strong dude. He's a captain, like that Byakuya guy who chumped Ichigo in the real world.

Kenpachi's thing is that he's got super spirit power. Ichigo has a lot, but Kenpachi has even more. This is bad for Ichigo because he lacked control and pretty much relied on his absurd strength to make up for his lack of experience.

But wait. Despite being a captain, Kenpachi doesn't have a bankai. Hell, he doesn't even have a proper shikai. A sword is just a tool for him.

But Ichigo's not alone. He's got his buddy Zangetsu helping him.

There's no tricks. No weird powers.

Just two dudes going at it with all their strength.

But Ichigo wins. With the help of his sword, he was able to cut Kenpachi and ultimately overpower him.

Kenpachi reflects on his relationship with his sword.

Regrets it. Sets the line down for something special, when Kenpachi understands his sword.

And then his sword responds....??????

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And then nothing comes out of it for like 400 loving chapters because gently caress YOU KUBO TITE YOU HACK.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Kenpachi vs Ichigo will always be my favorite fight in the series.

This is what caught my interest watching the anime one random night on Adult Swim.

Then I saw Mayuri vs Uryuu and was sold at Mayuri getting a massive hole blown out him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Saddest character in the series nowadays? Orihime? Nanao?

• Locked thread