Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

xzzy posted:

If bumping dudes was illegal, I would have been blacklisted from my league my first game.

Your refs need to lighten the gently caress up.

edit - well, maybe my second game. my first game I probably wandered aimlessly trying to figure out what the gently caress to do with myself.

It's so jarring, my last league actually allowed checking, and was mainly staffed with big dudes like myself, and in this league I really have to take that edge off.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Pinky Artichoke posted:

My first time in goal is coming up next Saturday. I look forward to being some poor beginning women's team's sober but oblivious goalie.

Have fun out there! Make sure to master yelling "SCREEEEEN!" whenever somebody skates in front of you.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
After every game I am certain that my team is saying all the "goalie-hate" stuff about me, behind my back.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

delpheye posted:

Our painkiller addicted goalie gave up after the 2nd goal, a high point slapshot he had all the time in the world to see, and texted the captain on his way out of the locker room that he quit. he's done this once before and rescinded his retirement the next day but so far I haven't heard anything. While getting a sub goalie every game for the next 20 sucks I'd rather have someone who tries instead of yelling "screen" and "skate harder" for 45 minutes while giving up the most basic shots all night.

I loving hate that poo poo. I hate hearing poo poo in between periods like, you gotta come down and cover the slot, or the wings have to cover the points or you gotta move your feet, etc, etc, all while he's letting in those no angle shots from below the bottom of the circles.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I'm aware of that, but anything that would be called bumping gets called as a check.

That just isn't possible or true, sorry

Officials don't call every infraction of every game and either your bumps are checks or you're being hyperbolic.

That being said adult leagues are overwhelmingly no check. So get over it and learn how to play with contact that is deemed acceptable. Or git gud and play with better people.

By chance what is your hockey experience and what level do you play at

Wooty posted:

After every game I am certain that my team is saying all the "goalie-hate" stuff about me, behind my back.

I'm too busy talking poo poo about everyone else to worry about you

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 23, 2016

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Whats the point of hockey anyway if not to feel superior to others?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We had the late game tonight, and telling the ref to "drop the puck, it's past my loving bedtime" got me an unsportsmanlike. Oops.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Anyone ever painted a stick before? I feel like it would flake all over your gloves without a clearcoat, yeah?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We had the late game tonight, and telling the ref to "drop the puck, it's past my loving bedtime" got me an unsportsmanlike. Oops.

"Some of us have to WORK in the morning, ref!"

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
Our previous goalie liked to sit on the ice with a thousand yard stare after goals against and wait until everyone was lined up at center ice to get back up and it was my most favorite thing ever

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

communist kangaroo posted:

Our previous goalie liked to sit on the ice with a thousand yard stare after goals against and wait until everyone was lined up at center ice to get back up and it was my most favorite thing ever

Don't most goalies pick up that stare after a while? My brother did, alongside with a terrible taste in fashion.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I find anytime an F bomb is directed towards a ref it's an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. I've accidentally gotten a few of these with the "Are you F'n kidding me" calls.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We had a late game on olympic ice last night. It was rough. There were 4 game misconducts, two 5 minute penalties, a slew of minors and 1 ten minute.

At one point we were skating 4 on 4 with 1 d sub and 1 forward sub.

gently caress all that. I thought I was going to puke. We lost 6-3.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Olympic ice is tough (especially down so many, Jesus), but nothing has ever tired me out as much as the pond hockey 4x4 tournament style. Never again 💀💀💀💀

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

We had a late game on olympic ice last night. It was rough.

Played at 1030 last night and play at OlympicView (olympic sized ice) at 1000 tonight with 9 skaters which means we will have 7 or 8. Time for a nap

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'll finally have my first game in over a month this Thursday because the league manager is incompetent.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My illustrious team Captain got thrown out of the championship game by two hand slinging his stick into the arena seats after a "questionable" tripping call. He managed to get back on the ice for the championship photo though.

The guy is such a nice dude off the ice but he gets crazy competitive. I don't know why he gets so worked up, it's loving D league.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Vargatron posted:

My illustrious team Captain got thrown out of the championship game by two hand slinging his stick into the arena seats after a "questionable" tripping call. He managed to get back on the ice for the championship photo though.

The guy is such a nice dude off the ice but he gets crazy competitive. I don't know why he gets so worked up, it's loving D league.

Maybe he was trying to give his stick to a fan? Was his mom in the stands?

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Vargatron posted:

Go hard or go home, bro. Now pardon me, I have to change cause a 5 year old's birthday party has the locker room reserved next.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Brettbot posted:

Anyone ever painted a stick before? I feel like it would flake all over your gloves without a clearcoat, yeah?

I've done "repairs" with varying results but painted over the repair spots and with proper prep the paint stays and chips away as it normally would as if it were part of the original stick. I'll say that I've never done a top to bottom full stick paint job though. Any reason you'd want to paint your entire stick? I had a friend spray a little bit of black on the blade end of a stick that was all white because she said it hosed with her head to have it blend in with the color of the ice. That seemed to last just fine. I told her just to use black tape, problem solved but to each their own I guess.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It'll flake not just from friction but from the bending of the stick and the impacts. It probably won't look too good after a few games.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

bigbillystyle posted:

I've done "repairs" with varying results but painted over the repair spots and with proper prep the paint stays and chips away as it normally would as if it were part of the original stick. I'll say that I've never done a top to bottom full stick paint job though. Any reason you'd want to paint your entire stick? I had a friend spray a little bit of black on the blade end of a stick that was all white because she said it hosed with her head to have it blend in with the color of the ice. That seemed to last just fine. I told her just to use black tape, problem solved but to each their own I guess.

I guess nothing in particular. I just think most stick graphics are so ugly, and I have a bunch of sticks that are all different models, and I always liked the looks of All Black Hockey Sticks' all-black or all-white sticks.
And also having a project might keep me from buying more sticks for a while. :ohdear:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Tank44 posted:

Played at 1030 last night and play at OlympicView (olympic sized ice) at 1000 tonight with 9 skaters which means we will have 7 or 8. Time for a nap

Oh weird, we played at olympic view last night at 11. You guys need a sub for tonight?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Here's a tip: no one else gives a poo poo what your stick looks like.

They care a lot about your visor though.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Brettbot posted:

I guess nothing in particular. I just think most stick graphics are so ugly, and I have a bunch of sticks that are all different models, and I always liked the looks of All Black Hockey Sticks' all-black or all-white sticks.
And also having a project might keep me from buying more sticks for a while. :ohdear:

That's cool, whatever floats your boat. We had a team in the league a few years ago that almost all the players had Black Max sticks. Don't really know what the deal was with them but they were all black except white lettering in the middle that said Black Max, or maybe Maxx with 2 X's. I can't remember. I do remember it was kinda funny seeing almost a whole team with matching sticks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

xzzy posted:

Here's a tip: no one else gives a poo poo what your stick looks like.

Bullshit, I taped a smiley face onto the back of my blade and I get comments on it every game.

Not good comments because its dumb, but that's not important

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 24, 2016

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I felt like I played my best game in a long time last night and my line was really clicking and spending basically all of our time in the offensive zone, but their goalie was playing great. Unfortunately one of our other lines was the exact opposite and were just buried the whole time, ended up giving up 2 goals (1 shorthanded) on the same shift, and we lost 2-1 :negative:

I guess we should probably mix the lines up some next time.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You should use the Michel Therrien line generator the next time you play for that extra spark.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

dogstile posted:

Bullshit, I taped a smiley face onto the back of my blade and I get comments on it every game.

Not good comments because its dumb, but that's not important

I'm having trouble picturing this... is it a smiley face sticker or just a crude smiley face made of tape?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
My tape lasts a game IF I'm lucky.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

prom candy posted:

I'm having trouble picturing this... is it a smiley face sticker or just a crude smiley face made of tape?

A smiley face made of pink tape on top of black tape. Its crude as hell and since i'm completely poo poo my tape doesn't get wrecked quite as fast as say, the guy above me. I can probably throw a picture of it up on imgur or something later. I am aware its stupid, its an old habit, started doing it when I was playing in the under 10's.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 24, 2016

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I buy that skull and bones tape and meticulously cut strands of it, and align them so they show the pattern on the blade. I'm the envy of all the mite players a the rink.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Last night we played the team tied for second in the league above ours. We lost 8-6 but god drat we played better than I have ever seen.

The stars aligned and I went blue line to a shot on net. I beat three guys doing it too. I beat a forward and split the D. Two inches higher and I would've scored.

Guys on my team all know I've only been skating for 2 and a half years now and only playing for a year and a half. They were literally all standing on the bench cheering when I was going through the D.

It was loving incredible and God drat I wish I scored.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I bought one of those Warrior Pro Carry bags that a lot of people seem to like and it's pretty good, except that the straps don't have that velcro handle that a lot of other bags do and it keeps slipping off my shoulder. Has anyone ever jury-rigged something like that, or had something like that added? I'm not even sure what the thingy is called or where I would get one.

Talking about the black thing here in case it's not clear:

prom candy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 25, 2016

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
you could probably just use a cable organizer velcro loop, or one of those things for bike commuters to keep their pants out of the chain http://www.amazon.com/TOMOUNT-ROSWH...2PPV1C3548EMPQA

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Had my first match against actual players last night. I think I got to the puck twice, lost my stick in between a guys legs and did a whole bunch of trying to keep up and failing. Holy poo poo people are so fast, I kept up better than I thought but it still wasn't fast enough.

On the plus side a guy in full pads decided to use his weight to shove me away from the puck and I stood my ground enough for him to fall over. Probably the only part of the night that wasn't humbling, really fun though, I hope they come back at some point because I feel like I learned more about stick handling in that one night than I have in the past month.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody in Charlotte playing at Pineville tonight at 10:45? I'll be out there breaking in my shiny new Vaughn pads. Will also be letting in a lot of soft goals so it will be a D League snipers dream.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Somebody hook me up with a beer league in Columbia, Missouri.

Thanks.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pleads posted:

Somebody hook me up with a beer league in Columbia, Missouri.

Thanks.

http://www.empirerollerrink.com/

I assume you're okay with wood floors and ball hockey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Didn't you read the Kesler player's tribune article? That's american style hockey! It'll turn you into an ultra competitive grinder!