Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My one problem with the Witcher 3 is I wish the combat was better. It's pretty good as it is and way ahead most western games but I feel like it kind of can't handle boss fights very and most of them just end up being frustrating. I've only ever played the game on Death March however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Decided to load the game up just then and as if on queue, I got the "geralt forgot how to dive underwater" bug and a "whoops you tried looting the chest before killing all monsters in the area so now this tresure hunt will be uncompletable forever" bug :haw:

Palpek posted:

more then the sum of its parts

Yeah I think that sums it up pretty well. I mean yes the story is amazing but ive played other games with excellent story telling and not really got that excited. Ive played better sword games as well as open world games. But I decided this was my favourite game made (so far) before I had even got to skellige. I think the characters being fleshed out is a factor, and so is the fact it isnt just another checklist open world game that seems to have been the norm for so long. The game is huge but they still managed to make even fetch quests seem like individual missions (mostly).

The smuggler cache bonanza in Skellige was terrible but everything else was amazing. I have never seen facial expressions done so well in a game. The tangible mysery in Velen, the hosed up choices you have to make, the design of the monsters (the Leshen is horrifying imo). I eventually even came around to the Geralt voice acting when he said a few things that were so dry I dont think many people would even notice.

There is definitely some sort of x factor in this game that has me won over.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

one other major issue: because of the terrible metal song Sword of the Witcher released by Polish band Vader to coincide with The Witcher 1’s release because the late 2000s were a very strange time, I keep finding myself singing “I am the lord and the master of the sword” in a cheery upbeat style to the tune of whatever tweedly folk background music is playing at the time and my girlfriend is going to leave me soon.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Vader was still around when witcher 1 came out? I have a hard time imaging that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Vader was still around when witcher 1 came out? I have a hard time imaging that.
apparently they've released three albums since 2009. I don't really understand either.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah the Witcher skill system. I think the one in 3 would be a lot better if you got much more points. I think the idea of your skills being limited by only having 12 slots to work with is more interesting than being limited because you aren't a high enough level. Now you just kind of end up with empty slots a lot of the time.

Not that picking skills matters that much. This game is pretty lenient even on Death March.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
There's definitely a lot to like about this game for me. It's my first time playing this series but the world is interesting and in this one at least all the quests and dialogue are well written. I don't think I've done one bland quest yet. I hope other game designers look at this game and use it a case study in that you can make a giant game with tons of side quests and content and still have all of that content be interesting *cough* Dragon Age/Skyrim *cough*

After coming from Dragon Age - which I still liked despite its flaws- having every quest be interesting is a huge plus for me compared to that where there's a disturbing amount of content that might as well be chores.

I do sometimes miss having constant companions but it seems like you occasionally have a companion on quests in this and some of the main npcs even start feeling that way even though they don't accompany you on poo poo. I just finished most of the Philip Strenger stuff and even though he's got some huge problems I still managed to like the guy.

The combat reminds me of Dark Souls and I like that.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Weird, Geralt was just wearing his underpants after waking up on the floor for me.

I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near the end, but how close am I if the only plot quest I have is go get Ciri from the Isle of Mists?

~60% once you get the "YOU BETTER BE DANG SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS" message.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

That reminds me how much I love the monster/character design in the game - the fucken Crones. One thing is to have an insane witch hold a bag of human remains with two legs sticking out and another is to then mocap her flipping them jokingly at Geralt. jfc I love how twisted CDPR can get.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Between the Crones and the Botchling the whole questline in Velen has been full of horrifying poo poo, it’s great. I’m looking forward to some city adventures but I hope I get some more big maps to explore.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Between the Crones and the Botchling the whole questline in Velen has been full of horrifying poo poo, it’s great. I’m looking forward to some city adventures but I hope I get some more big maps to explore.

Skellige is another entire map and its the best looking one in the game, though it can be annoying navigating all the mountains sometimes. Novigrad is a long set of quests so if you get bored, do not hesitate to go over to skellige early if you want to mix it up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As tragic as the botchling is, I still love the gallows humor immediately after it as the Baron holds the thing at arms length and walks like a goofball while the little fucker twists and giggles like a happy baby.

Speaking of inventories from the previous page, while yes, this game's inventory is a mess, are there any games that have a good inventory system, really? The inventory for Skyrim is horrendous without mods, and then it is only serviceable. The Fallout Games have the Pip boy, which is a nice presentation, but still clunky, and in FO4's case downright awful.

What games have really done inventory right?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone know if there's a key to open the hatch behind the Kingfisher or if it even goes anywhere?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Arcsquad12 posted:

As tragic as the botchling is, I still love the gallows humor immediately after it as the Baron holds the thing at arms length and walks like a goofball while the little fucker twists and giggles like a happy baby.

Speaking of inventories from the previous page, while yes, this game's inventory is a mess, are there any games that have a good inventory system, really? The inventory for Skyrim is horrendous without mods, and then it is only serviceable. The Fallout Games have the Pip boy, which is a nice presentation, but still clunky, and in FO4's case downright awful.

What games have really done inventory right?

Games like this have had pretty universally poo poo inventories ever since they started being designed to played with controllers.

Remember Oblivion only letting you bind the number keys 1-8 because 9 and 0 didn't have analogous buttons on a controller?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
it's been a while since I played Hearts of Stone but as far as I can remember the only problem with post-patch Witcher 3's inventory is that there's no way to group potions and decoctions separately or something like that.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm playing on the PS4 and my only real complaint is that the inventory loads a bit slowly. Granted, I never sell any crafting item, so that sub-menu must be HUGE by now, but I hate having to scroll through it just to get to the books/letters I want to read.

Edit: Also it was like 40 hours in when I realized I could use the right stick to switch between my inventory and the merchant's inventory in shops. Game-changer.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Sindai posted:

it's been a while since I played Hearts of Stone but as far as I can remember the only problem with post-patch Witcher 3's inventory is that there's no way to group potions and decoctions separately or something like that.

Sort by type? All of mine are separate.

Also: gently caress! As if the Wild Hunt wasn't bad enough now Skynet is after Ciri.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 23, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Sort by type? All of mine are separate.
Then I guess I misremembered the specific complaint. I know it had something to do with mixing two categories I wanted separate and I tried every grouping/sorting option and none of them did what I wanted.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

qbert posted:

I'm playing on the PS4 and my only real complaint is that the inventory loads a bit slowly. Granted, I never sell any crafting item, so that sub-menu must be HUGE by now, but I hate having to scroll through it just to get to the books/letters I want to read.

Edit: Also it was like 40 hours in when I realized I could use the right stick to switch between my inventory and the merchant's inventory in shops. Game-changer.

I guess I should clarify that by "lovely" I mean compared to what could be done with an interface that was designed to be used with a mouse and keyboard with no regard given to how usable it would be on a controller. Sorting through piles of potions, books, and crafting poo poo is not something that thumb sticks lend themselves to and having to design the interface around those constraints means it basically can't be good.

To really make a good PC interface you'd basically have to design two totally separate UIs for each version, and even then that's not a great solution for a game like this where the actual gameplay is better on a controller.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Dragon's Dogma is similar to this in that it has a lot of flaws but the things it does well, it does really drat well to the point you ignore the issues with it.

My biggest issue with W3 though is the combat - it sits in a really uncertain spot between being a full on brawler type game like DD, and a more tactical style of combat like dark souls. The damage is like souls, but you don't have exact control over what attack you do since it's range-sensitive, and due to the soft lockon, you can't guarantee which enemy geralt will target. Both of which wouldn't be bad in a brawler game, but just get really irritating here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do appreciate the emphasis put on dodging over blocking in these games though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Games like this have had pretty universally poo poo inventories ever since they started being designed to played with controllers.

Remember Oblivion only letting you bind the number keys 1-8 because 9 and 0 didn't have analogous buttons on a controller?

Blaming consoles in these cases is silly because the inventory systems suck on consoles too.

I think only Skyrim qualifies as good with a controller, bad with m+kb.

Witcher and FO4 are just as clunky with either.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

qbert posted:

gently caress

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Alright! I think I am the ending proper for reals totally (Final Preparations); is that right?

(also, I can't seem to find it, but hearts of stone should be done before or after finishing the main game?)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Transmetropolitan posted:

Alright! I think I am the ending proper for reals totally (Final Preparations); is that right?

(also, I can't seem to find it, but hearts of stone should be done before or after finishing the main game?)

it can be done before but its a self contained story and works great after

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I'll just echo the sentiment that every goddamn thing in this game must have like an entire bible behind it, it's so well thought out. The Bloody Baron quest is one of everyone's favorites, but my favorite part of it is When you start doing poo poo in Crookback bog, and you get the knife from Gran. Obviously the Crones of the lake seem pretty goddamn shifty, but the whole world is hosed so I'm not too concerned about some witches staking out of a corner of the world. They seem to at least watch out for the locals in their own way. But then I fumbled my way into the basement beneath the Crone's tapestry (before you're supposed to go there, of course) and found all the skeletons and blood and poo poo. So as soon as the primordial Nightmare horse spirit thing said 'These bitches are bad news and the kids there are hosed unless you set me free', I was pretty much totally on board to ruin their day.

It's the fact that the game gives you so many opportunities to observe the world around you and draw your own conclusions without highlighting them or making them an obligatory dialogue to beat you over the head with. I can forgive pretty much everything else about the game, the infuriatingly complex inventory and crafting systems, the candle-lighting minigame, the skill-wheel, etc, just for the sake of the sheer amount of care put into drat near every aspect of the world.

I just loving wish that Crow's Perch had a travel post INSIDE the loving castle, so I can get to the master armourer without having to hear 'Right, give me the coin. Heads, we'll clean the poo poo out of the stables...'

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Still a few more hours to go, you've got some very fun quests dimension hopping with Avalla'ch, dungeon diving with Philippa and then the final showdown.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Sanctum posted:

I saw Vader live in 2009 and again in 2010, uh yeah they're still around even though Doc died. It's definitely not the same band but everyone kinda gets into a groove really. Wife and I are long-time Vader fans back to just before De Profundis and I think we unequivocably agree that's their weakest song though. Maybe it'd have been excusable if it was in Polish.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

dimension hopping with Avalla'ch

Wait a loving second. This came out of the loving nowhere and somebody please answer me this:

So the setting of Witcher is like Endless Legend or a Spelljammer thing - aliens crash in a planet and their technology regresses to techno-antiquity or techno-medieval and magic and alchemy is just perhaps residue of really advanced poo poo?

Which if so, means this series is actually medieval sci-fi instead of fantasy? :psyduck:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Wait a loving second. This came out of the loving nowhere and somebody please answer me this:

So the setting of Witcher is like Endless Legend or a Spelljammer thing - aliens crash in a planet and their technology regresses to techno-antiquity or techno-medieval and magic and alchemy is just perhaps residue of really advanced poo poo?

Which if so, means this series is actually medieval sci-fi instead of fantasy? :psyduck:

Scholars have many vices. Possibly the worst among them is a tendency to describe the simple in unnecessarily complex terms, to dress the plain the the garb of false learning.

"The Conjunction of the Spheres" might serve an an excellent example of this. This name, so mysterious to a commoner's ear, could be replaced with a much simpler alternative: When the Worlds Collided. The phenomenon itself can also be explained in terms simple enough for a child to understand.

Imagine, dear reader, that our world is a ship sailing on a great sea. From its deck we can see other, distant vessels – those are the stars. These vessels each bear their own goods and their own crews. They usually pass us at some distance, barely visible specks, even views through a spyglass. Once every few thousand years, however, a storm breaks above this cosmic sea, a storm so strong it tosses the ships towards one another, making them sail check by jowl. Part of the crew of one ship can, at such times, move to another, and some of the cargo from one ship's hold can spill onto a neighboring vessel. When the weather calms, the ships separate once again and sail their separate, invariably different ways.

The so-called "post-Conjunction beings," namely monsters such as ghouls and basilisks, are precisely such passengers from another vessel. And we humans are castaways, flung against our will from somewhere far away onto a world previously inhabited by the Elder Races. Once here, we learned the arcane mysteries of magic. unbeknownst to us before.

Could the worlds collide once more? Perhaps. Can this cataclysm be avoided, or thet oppposite – hastened? Some scholars believe there are beings who have mastered this skill, who possess rare genes [which] allow some to seize the helm of our vessel and steer us... to safer waters, or to our doom.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I agree with those that say it's the best game ever. The popular weak point, combat, is decent enough but literally everyone I seen play it goes 'omg why can't Geralt control like Ciri!'. Ciri sections demonstrate it's not a flaw with the engine or controls, but it's weird that you have your main guy be awkward and lumbering and then every once in a rare while the game turns into Bayonetta with precision controls & responses & animations. Ciri portions were god-tier action gameplay.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone know if there's a way to trigger the tax collector in Oxenfurt? It's the last side quest I need and I can't get the guy to show up.

Supreme Allah posted:

I agree with those that say it's the best game ever. The popular weak point, combat, is decent enough but literally everyone I seen play it goes 'omg why can't Geralt control like Ciri!'. Ciri sections demonstrate it's not a flaw with the engine or controls, but it's weird that you have your main guy be awkward and lumbering and then every once in a rare while the game turns into Bayonetta with precision controls & responses & animations. Ciri portions were god-tier action gameplay.

I find the opposite. Geralt is way easier to control for me. With Ciri I feel like I'm just randomly zapping all over the place.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

McKilligan posted:

I'll just echo the sentiment that every goddamn thing in this game must have like an entire bible behind it, it's so well thought out. The Bloody Baron quest is one of everyone's favorites, but my favorite part of it is When you start doing poo poo in Crookback bog, and you get the knife from Gran. Obviously the Crones of the lake seem pretty goddamn shifty, but the whole world is hosed so I'm not too concerned about some witches staking out of a corner of the world. They seem to at least watch out for the locals in their own way. But then I fumbled my way into the basement beneath the Crone's tapestry (before you're supposed to go there, of course) and found all the skeletons and blood and poo poo. So as soon as the primordial Nightmare horse spirit thing said 'These bitches are bad news and the kids there are hosed unless you set me free', I was pretty much totally on board to ruin their day.

It's the fact that the game gives you so many opportunities to observe the world around you and draw your own conclusions without highlighting them or making them an obligatory dialogue to beat you over the head with. I can forgive pretty much everything else about the game, the infuriatingly complex inventory and crafting systems, the candle-lighting minigame, the skill-wheel, etc, just for the sake of the sheer amount of care put into drat near every aspect of the world.

I just loving wish that Crow's Perch had a travel post INSIDE the loving castle, so I can get to the master armourer without having to hear 'Right, give me the coin. Heads, we'll clean the poo poo out of the stables...'

You've got some more books to read about that nightmare tree spirit thing. It's a lot worse than the crones and is totally lying to you.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Under the vegetable posted:

You've got some more books to read about that nightmare tree spirit thing. It's a lot worse than the crones and is totally lying to you.

The book is written by the crones, we know whose blood actually waters the oak tree :ssh:

Though that doesn't mean the tree spirit is actually good.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like combat with Geralt. At times it can be appropriately challenging as you tackle a big group of knights or a huge monster. The game gets a little too easy as you get to higher levels even on higher difficulties, but nothing's perfect. I specced Geralt heavily into the sword tree and if I had the rhythms right he was an untouchable whirlwind. I wish the charged attacks had been available from the start to make melee a bit more interesting from the get-go and I'd say the same about the alternate signs. I'd love to have all of those unlocked regardless of spec or points investment and have their respective talents just boost them. It's not like you have to invest in the alchemy tree to use potions and bombs. Maybe there's a mod for what I want.

Combat with Ciri felt like an occasional treat, especially once you advanced enough to get access to her area of effect sword dash. It was just way too easy in comparison. If the game had been built around a combat style like that it would have been a different story, but the game's about Geralt and Ciri's style breaks a ton of rules.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If there is one thing I hate about combat, at least on mouse and keyboard, it is power attacks requiring you to hold down shift. It's just so goddamn clunky that I never bothered to put any points into strong attacks, instead opting to dodge around like a jackass and get ridiculous criticals from backstabbing.

I keep running into Morvran Voorhis around Novigrad and other areas. Dude is a nice guy for a Nilfgaardian poof.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 24, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

If there is one thing I hate about combat, at least on mouse and keyboard, it is power attacks requiring you to hold down shift. It's just so goddamn clunky that I never bothered to put any points into strong attacks, instead opting to dodge around like a jackass and get ridiculous criticals from backstabbing.

I changed my strong attack key to right click. Parry and grenades/crossbow/other items went on different thumb buttons. These changes alone made combat way better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Safety Factor posted:

I changed my strong attack key to right click. Parry and grenades/crossbow/other items went on different thumb buttons. These changes alone made combat way better.

Would it be possible to remap parry to E like Witcher 2 without loving up the interact button outside of combat?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Would it be possible to remap parry to E like Witcher 2 without loving up the interact button outside of combat?

Maybe. Remapping strong attacks to right click didn't gently caress up witcher senses. It seems like the game allows for overlapping controls as long as they're split between combat and normal modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
RPG inventories have always been a pain in the rear end. I don't find Witcher 3 worse or better than any others. But yea, the combat can be really annoying sometimes. I am like others and just put a bunch of points in fast attacks and swing like a mad man, side stepping to avoid damage.

Though the fact geralt can't swing his sword without taking a full step forward means that when harpes attack you on narrow ledges and poo poo, you're going to fall off.

Though something i'd love an RPG do someday is scale certain quest rewards. Like I recruit Craid, and he gives me the super duper magic sword and its 40 dps lower than the weapon I found in a random chest. It's like "thanks for giving me the one of a kind sword that is your clans most precious possession, but I'm doing to dismantle it because its worthless to me".

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 24, 2016