Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Leyline of Meandering Towershell {3WU}

Enchantment (R)

If Leyline of Meandering Towershell is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.

Leyline of Meandering Towershell enters the battlefield with 4 durdle counters on it.

At the beginning of your end step, remove a durdle counter from Leyline of Meandering Towershell

As long as Leyline of Meandering Towershell has 1 or more durdle counters on it, players may not cast spells or activate abilities of permanents and creatures may not attack.

I mean, Wotc needs to pick a shorter name to make all that text fit, but that'd fix modern right up.

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

The King Eternal is dead. Long live the King Eternal!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

End of Life Guy posted:

Enchantment (R)

If Leyline of Meandering Towershell is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.

Leyline of Meandering Towershell enters the battlefield with 4 durdle counters on it.

At the beginning of your end step, remove a durdle counter from Leyline of Meandering Towershell

As long as Leyline of Meandering Towershell has 1 or more durdle counters on it, players may not cast spells or activate abilities of permanents and creatures cannot attack.

I mean, Wotc needs to pick a shorter name to make all that text fit, but that'd fix modern right up.

This doesn't actually get any counters if you start with it in play.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Entropic posted:

This doesn't actually get any counters if you start with it in play.

Then modern can't be fixed... :sad:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

End of Life Guy posted:

Enchantment (R).....

.....I mean, Wotc needs to pick a shorter name to make all that text fit, but that'd fix modern right up.

Leyline of NR 20.

End of Life Guy posted:

Then modern can't be fixed... :sad:

Just make it trigger in the game's first upkeep or when it ETBs.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Entropic posted:

Painter's Servant shuts off eye of Ugin completely and turns Eldrazi Temple into a Wastes, and it comes down on turn 2. But that's a hilariously specific answer that doesn't do anything against any other deck, and it dies to all the removal that any of the Eldrazi decks run.

Funnily enough that can also be too slow if you're on the draw against the Eldrazi deck.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Angry Grimace posted:

Is Prowess still a deck after Monastery Swiftspear rotates?

If nothing in SoI is a suitable replacement, I'm just throwing Mage Ring Bully in there in its place, with Coastal Discovery in for Treasure Cruise. It makes the deck slower, but still fun for a filthy casual like me.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Soul Glo posted:

If nothing in SoI is a suitable replacement, I'm just throwing Mage Ring Bully in there in its place, with Coastal Discovery in for Treasure Cruise. It makes the deck slower, but still fun for a filthy casual like me.

Do it with Elusive Spellfist instead. It doesn't have the Prowess keyword but it gets +1/+0 per spell and unblockable instead and it comes with 3 toughness already.

It also has the upside of not killing itself as soon as your opponent resolves a large blocker that you don't have an immediate answer for.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Entropic posted:

Speaking of Goblins, did Piledriver ever actually make any impact in Modern? I had completely forgotten that it's even still in Standard.

I'm guessing a few T8s here and there are more of a blip on the radar than any significant impact? I think there's still potential there, but people don't seem to know what to do. It's usually either Aether Vial for value or make a bunch of tokens and Goblin Grenade for straight damage. Still waiting for him to be a big hit and I can sell my dozen that I've seemingly opened after already preordering a playset... :(

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Archenteron posted:

The King Eternal is dead. Long live the King Eternal!
Conspiracy 2: Reign of Marchesa?
I do like the bait-and-switch announcements though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Voyager I posted:

Do it with Elusive Spellfist instead. It doesn't have the Prowess keyword but it gets +1/+0 per spell and unblockable instead and it comes with 3 toughness already.

It also has the upside of not killing itself as soon as your opponent resolves a large blocker that you don't have an immediate answer for.

Already got 3 in there (because I don't have a fourth).

3 Jori En, 4 Stormchaser Mage, 4 Monastery Swiftspear, 4 Abbot of Keral Keep, 4 Zurgo Bellstrikers, 3 Spellfists.

I run 4 Slip Through Space so those could be defense/triggers on MRB if it comes down to using him.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

Leyline of NR 20.

like anyone needed more than 10 minutes to hit supply limit on a non-money map even :rolleyes:

the best part of NR20 was filling the map with pylon art (obscene of course) while the map hit unit limit

sarmhan posted:

psh if the other legendary blue white ghost is any indication theres no way you can just target and kill brago

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 23, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

psh if the other legendary blue white ghost is any indication theres no way you can just target and kill brago
Right. Instead you democratically choose which rulers go into exile. :getin:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

His authority will be respected even in exile.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just wanna give a quick slops/props shoutout:

Props: Everyone who bought my "underpriced" $7 One With Nothings over the weekend, y'all paid for my oral surgery

Slops: Everyone who woke up on Monday and listed their rotting old copies at $2 making it impossible for me to fleece #mtgfinanciers out of their money for a historically bad card.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Zoness posted:

the best part of NR20 was filling the map with pylon art (obscene of course) while the map hit unit limit

You mean spam building carriers because the fighters counted as units so you could lock your opponent out of building things

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

sarmhan posted:

Two days from now we'll see Marchesa full of arrows, Reign of Sevala announced.

Endgame: Fiora/Paliano overrun with spider death constructs, Daretti returns to rule as Goblin Machine Pope with a literal iron fist

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 23, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Goblin Piledriver is a card that is one or two impact cards off from being relevant in either Standard or Modern, but I'm skeptical they'd ever print the necessary engine card. You can't really "go off" with Goblins the way you can with Elves and Merfolk.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
one day, MODO will not completely poo poo the bed whenever you try and target a 0-cmc permanent with, like, Repeal, while an effect is reducing the cost of Repeal

just kidding, they probably literally can't because of how their lovely game works

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Angry Grimace posted:

Goblin Piledriver is a card that is one or two impact cards off from being relevant in either Standard or Modern, but I'm skeptical they'd ever print the necessary engine card. You can't really "go off" with Goblins the way you can with Elves and Merfolk.

Goblin Pildedriver always seems kind of underwhelming in practice. Sure, when it works it's great, but it dies to literally everything and doesn't have haste or any way to get its damage in past blockers that will just trade with its 2 toughness.

This isn't to say it's bad; it's a two-mana creature that is totally capable of putting a game away if unanswered, but it's so easy to have an answer to it that it's not something I would really expect to win with reliably. I'd definitely put them my hypothetical Goblin deck, but I don't think they'd really be the reason I was playing it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Four Score posted:

one day, MODO will not completely poo poo the bed whenever you try and target a 0-cmc permanent with, like, Repeal, while an effect is reducing the cost of Repeal

just kidding, they probably literally can't because of how their lovely game works

Can't believe the ability to pay -1 mana isn't in this game

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mandatory lesbian posted:

Can't believe the ability to pay -1 mana isn't in this game

Honestly surprised that paying -1 mana doesn't result in 254 mana being added to your pool.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

odiv posted:

For flavour reasons, instead of any bannings, they should just print some Planeswalkers and allies that force Eldrazi out of Modern.

But then... who gatewatches the gatewatch?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

Goblins just wants to go fast, I have a Goblins deck in Modern that just plays like creature-based burn and it's OK I guess. The problem is that if you don't have your opponent on the ropes by turn 4 you're a goner, and that's just inherent to the type of deck it is (in Modern), as opposed to Merfolk and Elves which can survive on a longer gameplan. Modern-legal reprints of Goblin Warchief and Ringleader would be sweet but I have no expectations that they will ever happen, nor that they would immediately lead to a T1 Goblins deck.

But if that day ever comes, I'll be ready :gbsmith:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I guess it's not technically Magic but LSV is about to stream the demo of his new game now

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

But then... who gatewatches the gatewatch?

the invisible hand of #mtgfinance

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Brago noooooooooo :(

Also if that's who I think it is it'll be the second time Brago's been shivved by Selvala.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I hope they keep changing the name of the set as each successive ruler gets shivved.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Entropic posted:

I hope they keep changing the name of the set as each successive ruler gets shivved.

I hope they do this a bunch and then the packaging is revealed as "Conspiracy 2" on the box and each pack has a different name with a different art of one character shanking another while declaring it "Reign of the Shanker"

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, another fun bug: Overabundance won't add colorless mana because there is no symbol in the prompt box to "add", which also prevents you from using the land itself for mana because you can't make a selection or do anything but undo. I've... I've had enough MODO today

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Elyv posted:

I guess it's not technically Magic but LSV is about to stream the demo of his new game now

How did it look?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Didn't see this one, but the first preview video had it somewhere between hearthstone, hex and magic.

You have to play resource/land cards. Cards seem to have both a Hex style threshold and a magic style payment. Cards in other zones but the board can have their stats modified.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Alaan posted:

Didn't see this one, but the first preview video had it somewhere between hearthstone, hex and magic.

You have to play resource/land cards. Cards seem to have both a Hex style threshold and a magic style payment. Cards in other zones but the board can have their stats modified.

What do you mean by "magic-style payment?" Is it something that is different from Hex?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

What do you mean by "magic-style payment?" Is it something that is different from Hex?

So Hex if it hasn't changed since I last saw is as long as you have X resources on the board you can play this card. Those resources are not expended. Magic has mana expended for the turn via tapping. Eternal seems to have: You need 4 of these resources on the board, but you only pay two of it or something like that.

Edit: So on the board you have two red and two green resources. Those=4 power. You have a card that requires two red and two green resources on the board and uses costs 2 power. After that you have 2 power left in your pool but still could cast another of the same card that requires you to have two red and two green on board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX0MdD_tt-o This has it in action.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 23, 2016

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

So I think I'm gonna move into Pauper for a while...given the price of standard, if I'm going to sink like 50 bucks into a game I'd rather have a killer pauper deck than a mediocre budget standard deck. What's the most fun to play / most ridiculous pauper deck?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Significantly you can have a 1 cost card that requires CD influence. So you can't play it on turn 1, but you can play two on turn 2.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Alaan posted:

So Hex if it hasn't changed since I last saw is as long as you have X resources on the board you can play this card. Those resources are not expended. Magic has mana expended for the turn via tapping. Eternal seems to have: You need 4 of these resources on the board, but you only pay two of it or something like that.

Edit: So on the board you have two red and two green resources. Those=4 power. You have a card that requires two red and two green resources on the board and uses costs 2 power. After that you have 2 power left in your pool but still could cast another of the same card that requires you to have two red and two green on board.

Again, how is this different from hex?

Like, what's the functional difference between a hex card with 3 cost and 2 red threshold, and an eternal card with 3 power and 2 red influence?

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 23, 2016

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

Again, how is this different from hex?

Like, what's the functional difference between a hex card with 3 cost and 2 red threshold, and an eternal card with 3 power and 2 red resources?

Apparently Hex changed since I saw it. And it isn't different. I just remember hex being straight threshold.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Alaan posted:

Apparently Hex changed since I saw it. And it isn't different. I just remember hex being straight threshold.

When did you last see hex? Because that's just what I remembered from when they launched their kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Alaan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX0MdD_tt-o This has it in action.

Your understanding of hex is flawed - you pay resources each turn to play cards, same as magic or anything else. The threshold system means you need certain colors to be able to cast a card, but you don't pay threshold, so if you have 1 ruby threshold and 3 resources you can play three burns in one turn (hex's shock - 1,R, quick action - deal 2 dmg to a troop or player). Whereas in magic if you had one mountain and two wastes you could only play one shock.

• Locked thread