Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just finished my "cadet" run and had most of my fun running and screaming in the Raven. Am I broken and can I be fixed?

If not, is there a way to "try" the other lights before committing to one? I'm curious about the Firestarter and Wolfhound but don't want to blow my fat, cadet stacks on bad mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Get the Arctic Cheetah first, it looks expensive but it's actually cheaper than other lights, because it comes with the ideal engine already. Otherwise the firestarter has the best sustained DPS of any light in the game with 8 SPL and they don't even have ghost heat anymore.

Look at metamechs.com and it's easy to see what the good mechs are and which are terrible.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I dont care how hot this runs,
its got an Arctic Cheetah for a right hand and a Cicada for a left. And a Jenner as body.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I dont care how hot this runs,
its got an Arctic Cheetah for a right hand and a Cicada for a left. And a Jenner as body.

That's great, but you can't actually fire any of those weapons more than once every 10 seconds because of the heat buildup, so you probably should care. :v:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That's great, but you can't actually fire any of those weapons more than once every 10 seconds because of the heat buildup, so you probably should care. :v:

Bah, i plan on headshotting 3 people in the time it takes for the reactor to melt. No prob.
(i dont have stormcrow, but im bored as gently caress)

e: more realistic maybe.
Torso weapons are linked, i cant work with arm and torso in the same group and will never understand how people do this.
Streak for lights, active probe for faster targetting (dont know really, it sounds good on paper) and small pulses for, well, shooting.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 23, 2016

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Ran into what I think was my first encounter with Team Helios last night in group drops. Two matches in a row against the same guys <EMP>, in which our lights got cored with gauss shots while running full speed, I got headshot in a crab by a mauler a good 700 away and other variations of the same. poo poo was unfun.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Bah, i plan on headshotting 3 people in the time it takes for the reactor to melt. No prob.
(i dont have stormcrow, but im bored as gently caress)

e: more realistic maybe.
Torso weapons are linked, i cant work with arm and torso in the same group and will never understand how people do this.
Streak for lights, active probe for faster targetting (dont know really, it sounds good on paper) and small pulses for, well, shooting.

Don't mix streaks and regular SRMs. Don't use SRM-6 without artemis. Artemis benefits streaks when it shouldn't so always use artemis with streaks.
If you use streaks you boat them because you're there to one shot lights or you're playing with a 400 ping. Don't put Active Probe on anything but a streak boat. Don't become dependent on lock-on weapons or you'll suck forever.

Don't go into a mech trying to mix and match weapon types. Try to fit as many as you can of one type of weapon and account for ammo and heat as you do that. Never strip Stormcrow leg armor. The legs are the easiest part of that mech to hit.

Here's a basic brawling stormcrow

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=1061b94e3ae6eab84def3709eb28ac2ed23fc481

If you want more armor in the arm pull like 6 points off the head armor. You run low on ammo in that mech because you're a brawler so you'll die fast anyway.

And here's a standard streak boat. Don't actually use this but this is the best light killing mech in the game. It won't help you improve and it's bad against mechs that are able to take 67 damage spread through the entire mech so any mech more than like 45 tons. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=6c6e14129d08773ce65af02a9fed7fa283951e5f

Sputty fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 23, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Talmonis posted:

Ran into what I think was my first encounter with Team Helios last night in group drops. Two matches in a row against the same guys <EMP>, in which our lights got cored with gauss shots while running full speed, I got headshot in a crab by a mauler a good 700 away and other variations of the same. poo poo was unfun.

Yep, EMP is one of the big helios teams. They also aren't trying to hide it anymore. I think they're calling Russ on his bluff. The "banwave" thread on the brown sea is almost 40 pages long calling Russ out for being a liar. I'm amazed it hasn't been locked.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
a pretty good rule of thumb is that when you see someone with a username that's a single twee word with spaces in between each letter (along the lines of like "a m p l i t u d e" or "t e n e b r o u s") that dude's computer storage is like 50% hax

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

That's because Russ is full of poo poo about the banwave

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Pattonesque posted:

a pretty good rule of thumb is that when you see someone with a username that's a single twee word with spaces in between each letter (along the lines of like "a m p l i t u d e" or "t e n e b r o u s") that dude's computer storage is like 50% hax

p a t t o n e s q u e

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Drythe posted:

Is it worth making a Twitter account to call him out?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

veedubfreak posted:

no

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

p a t t o n e s q u e

:vince:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

I did on mine, but my twitter is made to solely harass devs and Time Warner.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

I did on mine, but my twitter is made to solely harass devs and Time Warner.

A noble endeavor. :golf:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sputty posted:

Don't mix streaks and regular SRMs. Don't use SRM-6 without artemis. Artemis benefits streaks when it shouldn't so always use artemis with streaks.
If you use streaks you boat them because you're there to one shot lights or you're playing with a 400 ping. Don't put Active Probe on anything but a streak boat. Don't become dependent on lock-on weapons or you'll suck forever.

Don't go into a mech trying to mix and match weapon types. Try to fit as many as you can of one type of weapon and account for ammo and heat as you do that. Never strip Stormcrow leg armor. The legs are the easiest part of that mech to hit.

Here's a basic brawling stormcrow

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=1061b94e3ae6eab84def3709eb28ac2ed23fc481

If you want more armor in the arm pull like 6 points off the head armor. You run low on ammo in that mech because you're a brawler so you'll die fast anyway.

And here's a standard streak boat. Don't actually use this but this is the best light killing mech in the game. It won't help you improve and it's bad against mechs that are able to take 67 damage spread through the entire mech so any mech more than like 45 tons. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=6c6e14129d08773ce65af02a9fed7fa283951e5f

Your first build can be improved by shuffling some armour, heatsinks and ammo around, putting lower arm actuators in both arms, which lets you aim the guns much more freely.

The second build should have a tag in the head, not a laser, the laser is a heat trap. Use the tag between 90 and 360 meters away from a mech to punch through ECM, even if that mech is covered by multiple ECM bubbles. Note that, if you are within a single ECM bubble, the tag won't do anything, but the CAP will. If you are within multiple ECM bubbles, neither the tag nor the CAP will help, so be sure to run away if that becomes the case.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So I haven't played this game for like two years I think? The OP is kinda out of date I guess with stuff crossed off and I cannot find a PGS thread with information, so what is the actual state of goons in this game? No off-site forums anymore it seems, and there's apparently a mumble but I have to get a PM to find out the information?

Also somewhere along the line all my mechs got sold maybe and I lost all my piloting progress for them? Kinda guessing on that point. I still have a ton of badges and pilot rank and stuff and started off with 14 million C bills after I finished the tutorial but all I have is crappy starter demo mechs. I had finished my Atlas tree when I quit forever ago and had some premium mech that pissed people off just by existing so that sucks to lose.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Are the Kodiak hard points listed anywhere?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Are the Kodiak hard points listed anywhere?

https://mwomercs.com/kodiak

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I just realized one of my Archers will have 9 missile hardpoints.

Builds plz.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Builds plz.

All of the LRM 5's. All of them. Missile Bukakke.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Builds plz.

8 X SRM6A, 6 tons ammo, and the biggest XL engine you can fit in the remaining weight. Bind the SRMS in 2 groups of 4 to avoid ghost heat, go around making GBS threads 100-damage volleys on people, laugh/cry when you overheat and die on the second volley.

e: Actually with endo-steel it looks like you'll be crit-locked at 4 tons of ammo. Could try dropping Artemis, or could just assume you'll be dead before you blow through the whole 4 tons anyway.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 23, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Supraluminal posted:

8 X SRM6A, 6 tons ammo, and the biggest XL engine you can fit in the remaining weight. Bind the SRMS in 2 groups of 4 to avoid ghost heat, go around making GBS threads 100-damage volleys on people, laugh/cry when you overheat and die on the second volley.

Brb, need to bind "WITNESS MEEEEE" to left mouse button.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Brb, need to bind "WITNESS MEEEEE" to left mouse button.

:perfect:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Hah, I was on that page earlier. Just didn't scroll down far enough.

Wow the Ghost Bear comes with the worst loadout I've ever seen. 3 4 streak 6s, a uac10 and 2 mediums.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 23, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I dont want to brag (blatant lie), but some days i just outright love the game.
(both sides had equal random/premades)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drythe posted:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/222197-there-will-not-be-a-ban-wave/

And deleting threads discussing it :v:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

That was the thread that got me banned for 7 days even though I never mentioned helios or named names. Banned for insulting Russ's E-Honor.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/221009-banhammer-wave-2-its-coming/page__st__780__p__5035936#entry5035936
This one is still going. 40+ pages.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"If the bans don't happen, oh well."

A healthy attitude.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Oh Snapple! posted:

"If the bans don't happen, oh well."

A healthy attitude.

Just give Helios to every new player. Problem solved!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Knight Online did this, but not for free...

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

It's almost like this would be the function of the Targeting Computer.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Also lmao at the folks in that thread going on about how toxic it is to name and shame cheaters.

Gonna laugh if the wave ever happens and they're on the list.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Personally I like the one that equated naming and shaming cheaters in an online game to torture and killing in third world countries.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I can't drink and am too tired to play so have some images

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What's the deal with CW where there's a full set of pilots and it doesn't coalesce into an official group and people just walk out and it's back to pilots receiving orders? This thing's been 'full' three times in the last seven minutes but it never drops.

E: It just dropped.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

What's the deal with CW where there's a full set of pilots and it doesn't coalesce into an official group and people just walk out and it's back to pilots receiving orders? This thing's been 'full' three times in the last seven minutes but it never drops.

E: It just dropped.

Think its got headaches if theres more than exactly 12 people in the queue.
Like if you have 6 randoms, a 3man premade, a 4man, and 2 2man groups its getting seizures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

SumYungGui posted:

So I haven't played this game for like two years I think? The OP is kinda out of date I guess with stuff crossed off and I cannot find a PGS thread with information, so what is the actual state of goons in this game? No off-site forums anymore it seems, and there's apparently a mumble but I have to get a PM to find out the information?

Also somewhere along the line all my mechs got sold maybe and I lost all my piloting progress for them? Kinda guessing on that point. I still have a ton of badges and pilot rank and stuff and started off with 14 million C bills after I finished the tutorial but all I have is crappy starter demo mechs. I had finished my Atlas tree when I quit forever ago and had some premium mech that pissed people off just by existing so that sucks to lose.

I just started playing again since the beta and as far as I can tell there are two groups running right now. WOL for IS mechs and GIRL for clan mechs. Groups are run from grabbing people in mumble and nobody cares which goon group you are in unless they are doing community warfare stuff.

Pretty much anyone can invite so just post your name. Take the invite even if it's not the group you want so you can at least grab the mumble info from the MOTD and take it from there.

• Locked thread