Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Maybe so, but I wouldn't put too much value on the "electability" of one candidate over another. People said Crist had crossover appeal. Yeah.

He did, but then he touched Obama and took money the state needed instead of trying to gently caress over the people just to show Obama what's up.

Then instead of running as a Democrat he split the vote and gave us Senator Rubio. By the time he ran for governor again he was a duplicitous traitor who wasn't pure enough and the same a Rick Scott anyway. He still came close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/701839670435565569

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Maybe so, but I wouldn't put too much value on the "electability" of one candidate over another. People said Crist had crossover appeal. Yeah.

It's not so much he has appeal as he lacks the negative appeal of being an apparent corrupt criminal.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

evilweasel posted:

It's not so much he has appeal as he lacks the negative appeal of being an apparent corrupt criminal.

I can't tell if we're talking about Charlie Crist or Chris Christie here, and the seeming implication that Christie isn't corrupt isn't helping considering.. well, his entire tenure but especially the bridge thing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Brannock posted:

I can't tell if we're talking about Charlie Crist or Chris Christie here, and the seeming implication that Christie isn't corrupt isn't helping considering.. well, his entire tenure but especially the bridge thing.

Neither - Alan Grayson, current candidate in the Dem primary for the nomination to replace Rubio in the Senate.

evilweasel has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Feb 22, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

Neither - Alan Grayson, current candidate in the Dem primary for the nomination to replace Rubio in the Senate.

Alan Grayson is a super bizarre dude.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Claire no :(

Claire McCaskill posted:

I very recently learned that I have breast cancer. It was detected through a regular mammogram. It’s a little scary, but my prognosis is good and I expect a full recovery. I will be in St Louis for the next 3 weeks receiving treatment. During this time my staff will continue to assist Missourians and I will be posting on my Senate website (McCaskill.senate.gov) how I would have voted on any matters that come before the Senate during my absence—which I’ll also enter into the Congressional record. Additionally, I’ll be submitting questions in writing for any missed Senate hearings.

Thank you for the honor of serving you in the Senate.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Please don't fillibuster holding nomination hearings, Ted Cruz. Oh no, don't do that, don't do that. If you filibuster him, you'll just make him mad.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Oh my God.

I lost my mom to this poo poo a few months ago...I can only imagine what she's going through.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Crist did have crossover appeal, he came close to unseating a sitting governor while swimming against the tide in a wave election. His positives just weren't enough to overcome the big negative of having a D next to his name in a bad year for Democrats.

Also all this talk of Alan Grayson being corrupt is starting to overshadow all of the older talk of Alan Grayson being a deadbeat dad. He is a bad candidate and if he was a loud conservative instead of a loud liberal you all would be shittalking him all day and night and bringing him up as an example of GOP vileness.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Good thing medical science has ways of shutting that whole thing down.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know this is the Senate thread, and that the House is in no danger of flipping, but I was wondering what the overall House elections look like. Specifically, on the Democratic side, is the trend toward more left-leaning representatives, more Blue Dogs, or pretty steady? On the Republican side, is the trend toward radicalization showing any signs of abating yet?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, I'm pretty sure that literally no house primaries have occurred yet so we can't say. There's obviously more than enough of both groups but they are all running against each other and sometimes themselves. House forecast is looking pretty good for Democrats in the sense that they'd really have to gently caress things up to not gain some seats but thats more of a result of 2014 being a bad year for them than this year being a good one. Maybe its just me but I feel like, outside of a few open seats, Republicans have done a poor job of candidate recruitment this year. Democrats have blown some races too but they a good amount of credible candidates running in races with Republican incumbents.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Cliff Racer posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure that literally no house primaries have occurred yet so we can't say. There's obviously more than enough of both groups but they are all running against each other and sometimes themselves. House forecast is looking pretty good for Democrats in the sense that they'd really have to gently caress things up to not gain some seats but thats more of a result of 2014 being a bad year for them than this year being a good one. Maybe its just me but I feel like, outside of a few open seats, Republicans have done a poor job of candidate recruitment this year. Democrats have blown some races too but they a good amount of credible candidates running in races with Republican incumbents.
You mentioned Grayson, who I barely knew and previously had only vague dis-inclinations toward. Turns out I've been getting spam from his campaign. Ironically, he's citing the time some Tea Party twitterers sent threats to his family to really bring out the us-v.-them dollar. Is the recent 41-32 poll in his favor anything concrete?

I am so, so sorry, floridian democrats. Grayson's who-should-I-endorse poll might force him to endorse Bernie though, and if Hillary takes the nom Bernie might take Grayson down with him somewhat?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, while I'm sure greedy millionaire/tax cheat/hooting dickhole/deadbeat dad/embarrassing political ad creator/goon favorite Alan Grayson has some support he also has, among other things, a House Ethics Committee probe into his business dealings. This was just revealed today/yesterday but has actually been ongoing for a few months.

As to the poll itself, it was an "internal poll", i.e. something the Grayson campaign paid for and while that doesn't mean that its full of lies it does mean that it probably never would have seen the light of day if it didn't show Grayson in the lead. We don't know how many similar polls were conducted where Grayson lost or, without delving into the poll, what sort of bullshit might have been pulled to get the result that it did.

edit: Also, in Indiana news, Todd Young remains on the ballot following the split 2/2 decision from the evenly split along party lines electoral judges. Gee, I wonder which way they voted... In theory (and, as we are likely going to see, in practice) the Democrats could file a suit in a real court trying to get Young off the ballot and such a suit might well succeed.

Cliff Racer has issued a correction as of 01:30 on Feb 24, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's probably going to end up dropping out of the race.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Grayson should be expelled and censured and prevented from public office for 30 years.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If Grayson wants to drop down and retain his house seat he'd better do so quickly, the filing deadline is either fast approaching or has already passed. Often the house and senate ethics committees (and that other bane of corrupt politicians, the FBI) seem pretty willing to cut deals in exchange for retirements but Grayson seems stupid enough to try to fight on anyway.

edit: With Rubio looking to have an ever increasing likelihood of being the Republican nominee things might turn pretty difficult for Democrats in Florida this cycle, even if Hillary ends up winning nationally. Major caveat of course being that if Rubio (or, hehhehheh, Kasich) doesn't win they'll get to mop the floor with whichever of the undetectable blowhards the Republicans do choose.

Cliff Racer has issued a correction as of 01:35 on Feb 24, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

edit: With Rubio looking to have an ever increasing likelihood of being the Republican nominee things might turn pretty difficult for Democrats in Florida this cycle, even if Hillary ends up winning nationally. Major caveat of course being that if Rubio (or, hehhehheh, Kasich) doesn't win they'll get to mop the floor with whichever of the undetectable blowhards the Republicans do choose.
Eh I don't know if that makes a huge difference. I would also disagree that he has a good chance to win the nomination to begin with.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

Eh I don't know if that makes a huge difference. I would also disagree that he has a good chance to win the nomination to begin with.

It really does, home state advantage is a proven thing. As to Rubio's chances, I said "ever increasing", not "favored to win at this point in time." Its hard to argue that the nadir of Rubio's campaign, to this point was the day of the New Hampshire primary and things have gotten better for him at every instance in time since that point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm more concerned that the FL Dems are again going to end up with a candidate who is barely left of the GOP candidate, and as a result they are going to whiff on another chance to take a Senate seat that is very much in play.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm more concerned that the FL Dems are again going to end up with a candidate who is barely left of the GOP candidate, and as a result they are going to whiff on another chance to take a Senate seat that is very much in play.

If you think Grayson has a better chance than Murphy in the general you're daft. He'd get ripped apart even if he didn't have a toxic personal file. Democrats aren't losing due to not being far enough to the left. The DSCC knows this, and thats why they endorsed him.

Furthermore, Patrick Murphy isn't "barely left of the GOP candidate" anyway. He opposed TPP from the left in both of its votes, he's voted in support of the president on Iran every time its come up, he supports a path to citizenship, he votes against the traditional Republican bugbears (Obamacare, abortion, etc.) and he does so in a congressional district that generally supports Republicans over Democrats.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

Well, while I'm sure greedy millionaire/tax cheat/hooting dickhole/deadbeat dad/embarrassing political ad creator/goon favorite Alan Grayson has some support he also has, among other things, a House Ethics Committee probe into his business dealings. This was just revealed today/yesterday but has actually been ongoing for a few months.

As to the poll itself, it was an "internal poll", i.e. something the Grayson campaign paid for and while that doesn't mean that its full of lies it does mean that it probably never would have seen the light of day if it didn't show Grayson in the lead. We don't know how many similar polls were conducted where Grayson lost or, without delving into the poll, what sort of bullshit might have been pulled to get the result that it did.

edit: Also, in Indiana news, Todd Young remains on the ballot following the split 2/2 decision from the evenly split along party lines electoral judges. Gee, I wonder which way they voted... In theory (and, as we are likely going to see, in practice) the Democrats could file a suit in a real court trying to get Young off the ballot and such a suit might well succeed.

Alan Grayson is the Joe Walsh of the Democratic party.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I don't think it has sunk in how steep the uphill battle for the GOP is at the presidential level. Hillary could lose like Ohio and Florida and still hit 270 by taking the other swing states. The GOP has to win all the Romney states plus drat near every swing state, with Ohio and Florida being required. To say the math is against the GOP nominee is kind of an understatement. Trump stands the best chance of jiggling those numbers but it'll probably jiggle toward Hillary given her ability to weather a blizzard of bullshit and come out laughing that goofy cackle.

As far as Rubio is concerned, Rubio isn't going to be fooling anyone no matter how much he tries sharpening his accent. His Cuba ideas come from rhetoric almost old enough to be his father, and picking up the best and brightest of the GWB cabinet isnt going to win anyone over outside of the neocon petro-nihilists he didn't pick. Anyone who thinks that red scare bullshit still flies outside of a handful of elderly patriarchs who can afford not to be gentrified out of their flats in Miami is loving delusional. Those people are the lovely old great-uncles who can't attend any more Quinceneara parties because the last few times the cops got called. They're dying off and doing so separated from families that would rather hear from the probate lawyer first.

FAUXTON has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Feb 24, 2016

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

FAUXTON posted:

I don't think it has sunk in how steep the uphill battle for the GOP is at the presidential level. Hillary could lose like Ohio and Florida and still hit 270. The GOP has to win all the Romney States, all the traditional swing states, plus something like Pennsylvania or Colorado. If Hillary loses FL because for whatever reason everyone other than swamp-dwellers and shuffleboard cubanos still pissed about Castro appropriating their plantations then she's still got a buffer of something like 30 EV if not more.

Virginia becoming lean Democrat has totally hosed up the GOP electoral math.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FAUXTON posted:

I don't think it has sunk in how steep the uphill battle for the GOP is at the presidential level. Hillary could lose like Ohio and Florida and still hit 270. The GOP has to win all the Romney States, all the traditional swing states, plus something like Pennsylvania or Colorado. If Hillary loses FL because for whatever reason everyone other than swamp-dwellers and shuffleboard cubanos still pissed about Castro appropriating their plantations then she's still got a buffer of something like 30 EV if not more.
The Dems don't have a lock on the electoral college (like the Republicans had in the mid-1980s), but things are trending that way. You forgot the fact that the electorate is getting less white, at a rate of about 1.5%-2% every four years. So Republicans need to take Ohio, they don't just have to beat Romney's 2012 total by 3.0 points, they need to beat it by 4.8 points - and it's that way all across the country and the swing states.

Republicans have a very narrow window to win the Presidency. As you said, they have to hold ALL of the Romney states AND pick up EVERY swing state AND pick up one or two blue states in order to just barely squeak across the 270 EV line. If they miss even one little component of that equation, they lose. I think it's effectively impossible barring some outside assistance: either 1) a supremely talented and appealing Rep candidate and/or 2) some kind of collapse on the part of the Dem candidate (late breaking major scandal, late breaking health issue, party schism, etc.) and/or 3) some sort of Really Bad News (recession, foreign policy disaster, massive scandal, etc.)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Schnorkles posted:

That's what happens when you poo poo all over the half of the state that's growing while fellating the half that's shrinking.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

That's what happens when you poo poo all over the half of the state that's growing while fellating the half that's shrinking.

it makes loving over government workers electorally dangerous, that's one great thing about virginia being a swing state

i think there should be a house thread soon, the first primaries are on march 1st! alabama, arkansas, and texas
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_6M_D6QmR52g56g_H_iymgDk7mlAIIArb9lVxC9IiQw/edit#gid=1347664583
all three have runoffs later

the OP should probably have a list like that, a histogram of house seats by presidential voting pattern like this from here which is democrat-biased and kinda whiny but is a really good look at districting tbh

and links to people like
http://cookpolitical.com/house/charts/race-ratings
http://rothenberggonzales.com/ratings/house
http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/2016-house/

what else? we should get that thread started, it'll be pretty dead for a while but poo poo is about to get crackin

oh a link to zoomable google maps of all the districts since just a jpg would be worthless for trying to figure out districts in any densely populated area. can we embed google maps?
this page has separate maps for each state, some of which are outdated due to republicans creating intentionally illegal maps and playing out the clock so they got to run 3 of 5 elections between constitutionally-mandated redistrictings on the illegal maps. but there must be something like that for the country as a whole

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Feb 24, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

It's been discovered black women are the most powerful bloc in Virginia. McAuliffe owes them, almost entirely to his election.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
in housechat news, i signed a petition to make sure my current representative stays on the ballot here in NOVA.

Nonsense posted:

It's been discovered black women are the most powerful bloc in Virginia. McAuliffe owes them, almost entirely to his election.

speaking of t-mac, i hadn't seen any approval polling on him in a while but the last one i saw had him at +26 :stare:

now these polls are a year old, but that's an insane spread. i wonder if that helps him argue he should be the VP pick for hillary rather than julian castro or another rising star...

axeil has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Feb 24, 2016

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

Uh have you been under a rock the last week or something? Rubes is completely collapsing, he didn't even stay up for the NV results.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

oystertoadfish posted:

it makes loving over government workers electorally dangerous, that's one great thing about virginia being a swing state

i think there should be a house thread soon, the first primaries are on march 1st! alabama, arkansas, and texas
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_6M_D6QmR52g56g_H_iymgDk7mlAIIArb9lVxC9IiQw/edit#gid=1347664583
all three have runoffs later

the OP should probably have a list like that, a histogram of house seats by presidential voting pattern like this from here which is democrat-biased and kinda whiny but is a really good look at districting tbh

and links to people like
http://cookpolitical.com/house/charts/race-ratings
http://rothenberggonzales.com/ratings/house
http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/2016-house/

what else? we should get that thread started, it'll be pretty dead for a while but poo poo is about to get crackin

oh a link to zoomable google maps of all the districts since just a jpg would be worthless for trying to figure out districts in any densely populated area. can we embed google maps?
this page has separate maps for each state, some of which are outdated due to republicans creating intentionally illegal maps and playing out the clock so they got to run 3 of 5 elections between constitutionally-mandated redistrictings on the illegal maps. but there must be something like that for the country as a whole

Florida still doesn't have any maps because the Legislature are being petulant babies, so we're waiting on a judge to choose from the available maps or make their own. Which is almost certainly going to result in another lawsuit.

The Florida Supreme Court decided on a map last month and we are now in the middle of the lawsuits. Hopefully there's no injunctions, but who the gently caress knows. Florida gonna Florida.

Gyges has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Feb 24, 2016

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/702598507828346880
https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/702598007867310080

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I imagine polling for other states regarding the SCOTUS issue probably looks similarly favorable for Obama, outside of the typical shitholes.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FAUXTON posted:

I imagine polling for other states regarding the SCOTUS issue probably looks similarly favorable for Obama, outside of the typical shitholes.
The key thing is states that are likely to vote Hillary/Bernie in November that also have Republican senators up for re-election. Republican senators in blue states are setting themselves up to hammered over this issue in the fall, as that poll shows.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

FAUXTON posted:

yep:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/702513544277991424
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/702513782782861312

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
Add 'shitposter' to grayson's charge sheet

today's grayson mailer posted:

Dear cuck,

In the first season of the fascinating TV show called “The Wire,” two rival drug dealers go after each other. One shoots at another, at close range, with a sawed-off shotgun. And misses. Leading to this immortal line:

“You come at the King, you best not miss.”

The D.C. Establishment is coming after us. And they are missing. Too bad – for them.

The corporate shills who have insinuated themselves into positions of power in the unDemocratic Party in Washington have become utterly desperate. After we exposed their betrayal by opening up the undemocratic superdelegate process to We, the People, they’ve come after me, my family, and my staff, with ludicrous and blatantly false attacks.

There is a term in politics called “oppo dump.” You come up with every “opposition research” smear you can think of, and then you dump it (through co-conspirators in media) a few days before the election, hoping to confuse the voters.

But here, the Democratic politburo is S.O.L. We’re winning, and we’re winning by nine points. So now, more than six months before even the primary, they “dump” all their “oppo,” all their imaginary crap. Think of it as premature evacuation.

Just to be clear, I am not a cannibal. Nor am I a necrophiliac. And frankly, these are no more fanciful than their actual smears against me.

Barack Obama was not born in Kenya. Hillary Clinton did not kill Vince Foster. Bernie Sanders does not hold an Israeli passport. And it is so, so pathetic that the corrupt, inept bureaucrats who call themselves our “leaders” have to stoop so low as to make the same kind of baseless smirches against me.

(Is “smirches” a word? Well, it is now.)

Send an urgent contribution to my campaign today, to help me fight back against the lies and the dirty liars who tell them, in the unDemocratic Party Establishment.

Chip ... $250

Just today, they tried to put it out there that I’m not a “real” progressive.

Excuse you?

I’m fighting a political life-and-death struggle against a Democratic Party D.C. Establishment that has betrayed progressive principles over and over and over again, over my very loud objection. (No wonder they don’t love me.) Look at what they’ve done:

The Democratic Establishment killed the public option.
The Democratic Establishment refused to punish the banksters.
The Democratic Establishment wasted billions of dollars on bailouts.
The Democratic Establishment keeps pushing for Social Security benefit cuts.
The Democratic Establishment opposes Medicare for All.
The Democratic Establishment implemented huge tax cuts for multinational corporations.
The Democratic Establishment has shipped millions of jobs overseas.
The Democratic Establishment has taxed union benefits, and refused to put EFCA up to a Senate vote.
The Democratic Establishment has collaborated in the destruction of affirmative action.

And that’s just off the top of my head.

Look at their appalling sell-out record. Then look back at mine. You’ll see a Congressman who not only cares about working people, but gets good things done for them. Who actually delivers for progressives, and for our progressive principles of justice, equality and peace.

And them? Liars, losers, fakers and sellouts.

Make your contribution now. We can’t tolerate another victory by the unDemocratic Party Establishment against a real progressive like me. We can’t forgive them for what they’ve done, but winning is the best revenge. Donate now.

You DESERVE a Senator with Guts. And I’m going to give that to you -- whether they like it or not.
Courage,
Alan Grayson

“Eat my shorts.” - Bart Simpson
I'm only posting this one because it's so monumentally stupid. I've honestly added nothing. Let me know if you want any more and I'll just pastebin them.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
"Eat My Shorts"- Bart Simpson

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

"Eat My Shorts"- Bart Simpson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

stephenfry posted:

Add 'shitposter' to grayson's charge sheet
I'm only posting this one because it's so monumentally stupid. I've honestly added nothing. Let me know if you want any more and I'll just pastebin them.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Your party, people!

• Locked thread