Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dordreff posted:

A new comic I found and like:
Kawaii Joushi wo Komarasetai
A woman who lives entirely for work, and has had basically no experience in love before, starts dating one of her subordinates. Translation seems to be getting worse as it goes along, and it'll probably introduce dumb drama soon, but it's cute and funny so far.

I had this bookmarked to check out and didn't really like the whole "dancing around if you raped the drunk girl or not" bit but once they shuffled off that topic it's been good and cute yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

HenryEx posted:

Oh my god finally, the half-year wait between volumes is literally killing me.

Are there actually any other good gender switch stories out there that aren't played solely for laughs and fanservice? I'm not averse to the funnies and some raunchiness, but i like something a bit substantial. Bitter Change is basically the perfect storm of what i'm looking for, but i need moooore. I've been browsing the "Gender Bender" tag a little, but i've basically only been turning up trash.

I'm liking the magical switch variety more than the real life transgender stuff, partly because of the "sudden fish out of water" shenanigans, and partly because it's a slightly less depressing matter to think about. Would be nice to see some more female -> male switch, too, the opposite is like sand on the beach, not in the least because it's mostly played for fanservice.

BlazBlue Remix Heart, kinda-sorta. MC gets swapped MTF through magic before the start of the series, and without spoiling too much most of the drama stems from him wondering whether accepting the swap and moving on means that he's still himself, only different, or if it would be effectively killing his old male self.

Still got loads of fanservice though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

Reading Shishunki Bitter Change in 1-2 chapter increments is torment but I just can't resist when a new one pops up

it updated btw

an oneshot by this author got put up on batoto. its kinda ehhhhhhhh

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

an oneshot by this author got put up on batoto. its kinda ehhhhhhhh

yeaahhhh....that's
Kind of a cute initial idea but the execution left a lot to be desired.

e: New chapter of Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
Good chapter, some pretty cute/funny stuff at the beginning then woah at the end, can't wait to see the manager's reaction to that.

Kinda agree with a comment I read somewhere that it would have been nice if she was at least in college since the age gap is so huge in this one but whatever, it's manga. :yayclod:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 20, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Two more chapters of The Bride Was a Boy today: http://bato.to/reader#e639a39715fd9941

:3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Don't become a a lesbian otaku, shinozaki updated

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shinozaki-san-Ki-o-Ota-Shika-ni/Vol-006-Ch-032--A-Bond-Born-on-the-Battlefield?id=265046

Japanese is LABORIOUS, but I studied with manga!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shinozaki-san-Ki-o-Ota-Shika-ni/Vol-006-Ch-032--A-Bond-Born-on-the-Battlefield?id=265046

There's also an extra chapter, be sure not to miss it!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

It's good.

Hopefully, one day, she realises she's gay. :v:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Hopefully, one day, she realises she's gay. :v:

Yah, though I really enjoy the main thrust of the series: a bunch of cool and nice people being unabashed nerds.

e: vvvvv lol, yeah. Though as it turns out she was a dork from the very beginning. :v:

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 21, 2016

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Motto posted:

Yah, though I really enjoy the main thrust of the series: a bunch of cool and nice people being unabashed nerds.

Shinozaki's a bit abashed about it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shinozaki-san is good, cute, rad

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Help me out guys, I've recently read the first few chapters of a series and I want to keep going but I can't find the series anymore.

It's a comedy series about an angel who graduates top of her class and is sent to Earth to live alongside humans and go to school, but becomes a shut-in shortly after arriving. There's also a demon who keeps showing up at her house to tease her but in the end keeps taking care of the angel instead.

I think I read it on the Dynasty Scans reader, but I can't find it anymore.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Mikl posted:

Help me out guys, I've recently read the first few chapters of a series and I want to keep going but I can't find the series anymore.

It's a comedy series about an angel who graduates top of her class and is sent to Earth to live alongside humans and go to school, but becomes a shut-in shortly after arriving. There's also a demon who keeps showing up at her house to tease her but in the end keeps taking care of the angel instead.

Sounds like a gender-bent version of Good Omens.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Mikl posted:

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/gabriel-dropout-r18045

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh poo poo Yatamomo got a second volume

no link because it's Harada and I haven't even read it yet and am sure it's way NSFW; you can find it on your own if you want to read
e: yeah it's totally filthy as usual and also oh poo poo his mom's back

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 22, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
o poo poo, that is one very pretty anime boy with a saucy grin.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been trying to clear out a bit of manga backlog and read Sannin Gurashi today.
After living with an abusive father, and a runaway mother, two brothers decide to live on their own. The story follows their life together and how they fall in love with the people they do.

It's a really nice, heartwarming slice of life with two brothers all from the POV of the younger one and is mostly about family, with the two brothers making their own happy family after having some really poo poo parents (the last chapter is an unrelated one-shot). There's nothing super dramatic and the art is a little rough but it's really cute :3: Kinda frustrating that almost nothing by this author is translated, the only other thing is this (and not even all of it :argh:) which I've also read and can say is very cute as well.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The guy who filled in all those Tsurezure Children chapters released a couple more, and also tackled Wakabayashi Toshiya's other series Boku wa Ohime-sama ni Narenai: http://bato.to/reader#7d05db45805cd121

Getting kinda kinky there, Ouji

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
A friend recommended the series Akatsuki no Yona to me. I was wondering if I should read it.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Yes.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Akatsuki no Yona is good read it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's top notch

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Mraagvpeine posted:

A friend recommended the series Akatsuki no Yona to me. I was wondering if I should read it.

The anime follows the manga pretty closely, so you should also watch that!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's amazingly good.

If you want to watch the anime, it covers chapters 1-46 of the manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's in the discussion IMO for best currently running manga.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Nate RFB posted:

It's in the discussion IMO for best currently running manga.

I-It's better than Garasu no Kamen and Yotsuba and so on?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As much as I love Yotsuba I think chapters need to be actually coming out for it to count.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was wondering if there are any good non-romance/romantic comedy focused shoujo/josei manga other than 7 Seeds (which is absolutely amazing and I can't recommend enough, seriously go read it if you haven't*). I've noticed that there are a number of shoujo manga that have some sort of fantasy/adventure plot, but it seems like romance usually takes center stage and the female protagonist usually plays a relatively passive role. It's like the fantasy/adventure just takes the place of the school or whatever that normally serves as the setting in shoujo romance manga.

Does Akatsuki ni Yona fit this description well?

*Just to expand upon this a bit, I feel like 7 Seeds is what a shoujo (or josei, not sure what genre it's considered) adventure manga should be. There's the heavy emphasis on characters and relationships characteristic of the shoujo/josei genres, but the characters are actually genuinely interesting and the focus on them doesn't come at the expense of the overarching plot.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 24, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yona definitely does not have a passive female lead, and the romance really isn't the main focus. Most of the plot is driven by Yona's desire to personally solve the issues in her father's kingdom.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

I was wondering if there are any good non-romance/romantic comedy focused shoujo/josei manga other than 7 Seeds (which is absolutely amazing and I can't recommend enough, seriously go read it if you haven't*). I've noticed that there are a number of shoujo manga that have some sort of fantasy/adventure plot, but it seems like romance usually takes center stage and the female protagonist usually plays a relatively passive role. It's like the fantasy/adventure just takes the place of the school or whatever that normally serves as the setting in shoujo romance manga.

Does Akatsuki ni Yona fit this description well?

*Just to expand upon this a bit, I feel like 7 Seeds is what a shoujo (or josei, not sure what genre it's considered) adventure manga should be. There's the heavy emphasis on characters and relationships characteristic of the shoujo/josei genres, but the characters are actually genuinely interesting and the focus on them doesn't come at the expense of the overarching plot.

For non-romance/adventure-y josei you might check out some of the titles in this list. I'm reading quite a few and didn't notice at first that they were all out of the same magazine. Most of the ones I'm reading tend toward all-male cast w/bromance/shades of BL but uh...at least you don't get a passive female lead in those I guess.

e: will also say there are plenty of stinkers in that list so I'm not blanket recommending everything there, just that there might be something to your taste among them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yona is really good, but I wish there was more anime because I prefer colour to black&white these days :(

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Okay, I've started reading Yona and one of the first things I'm wondering is if the culture is based on ancient Japan or China.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Based on the names, it's most likely Korean. The Kai Empire to the north of Kouka is Chinese.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Oh! I'm so used to either ancient Japan or ancient China that I never considered Korea. This should be interesting.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Hatsukoi Zombie is the rarest of unicorns, a non-terrible shonen rom-com that doesn't have a harem, doesn't have a super obvious female lead that will end up with the mc in the end, and isn't going in the direction of bullshit filibustering until relationship status is cemented in the final chapter(s).

The entire "zombie" premise is really interesting too. It's still currently having different zombie of the week being eliminated via matchmaking, but there's got to be cases where that won't work. Ebino Z is an obvious case, or something like whoever spawned school nurse z, or possibly multiple versions of a particular girl. The entire point seems to be there can't be a clean resolution in all cases, relationships might not last, reality doesn't match up with the ideal, love polygons can't be reduced to a bunch of optimal pairs, and moving on from "first loves" isn't even a bad thing. But then there's the whole thing where Tarou already figured out he basically created another sapient being from his mind so I have no idea where this is going.

Algid fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 24, 2016

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
In today's Tomo-chan, :vince:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Dark Carol holy poo poo

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Compendium posted:

Dark Carol holy poo poo
I can't see that as being a real thing after like 12 chapters of her in the most adorable, ridiculous dog pajamas.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Algid posted:

Hatsukoi Zombie is the rarest of unicorns, a non-terrible shonen rom-com that doesn't have a harem, doesn't have a super obvious female lead that will end up with the mc in the end, and isn't going in the direction of bullshit filibustering until relationship status is cemented in the final chapter(s).

The entire "zombie" premise is really interesting too. It's still currently having different zombie of the week being eliminated via matchmaking, but there's got to be cases where that won't work. Ebino Z is an obvious case, or something like whoever spawned school nurse z, or possibly multiple versions of a particular girl. The entire point seems to be there can't be a clean resolution in all cases, relationships might not last, reality doesn't match up with the ideal, love polygons can't be reduced to a bunch of optimal pairs, and moving on from "first loves" isn't even a bad thing. But then there's the whole thing where Tarou already figured out he basically created another sapient being from his mind so I have no idea where this is going.

This comic gives me claustrophobia for some reason. It's always so crowded with all the first love zombie girls.

edit: Just caught up to the latest translated chapter and yeah, that's a pretty good shounen romcom so far. While it definitely has many of the trappings of the genre, the premise is very unique and it's really funny so far. The only thing I disagree with is that it is pretty obvious that the male lead will probably end up with Ibusaki.

One thing I like is that the girls aren't very interested in the main character. The only ones that seem like they might be are Ibusaki and maybe the ponytail girl, though the latter is debatable.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Algid posted:

The premise is unique, but it doesn't feel like this manga's actually good. But I guess the uneasiness I have with it is a given since you're looking into people's fantasies.