Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Prop plane I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Makes sense. I think it may have been CG in some shots, but, yeah, generally they use a prop plane.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
It was a seaplane, they saved him from the sea.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Superman Returns was so loving boring. It dragged and dragged and dragged. My pet hate from that movie was when the toy train set got all hosed up by Krypto Crystals and you could hear REAL loving PEOPLE SCREAMING as the toy train fell over.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Returns rules!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Return is super loving bad. It feels like one of those 'we've done everything else with Superman, lets subvert him' comics that accidentally got a 200 million dollar budget. That they spent growing corn. loving corn

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Snowman_McK posted:

Return is super loving bad. It feels like one of those 'we've done everything else with Superman, lets subvert him' comics that accidentally got a 200 million dollar budget. That they spent growing corn. loving corn

During a drought in Australia.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Burkion posted:

You know, if for no other reason, those drat covers are the reason Superman is the best super hero.

Literal decades of him being a piece of poo poo to everyone and everything in the best and worst ways possible including multiple accounts of forced animal husbandry with a human, and he's still the paragon of justice and the most famous super hero of all.

gently caress yeah Superman.

Boy, if that's what animal husbandry meant visiting a ranch would be a hell of an experience.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DeimosRising posted:

Boy, if that's what animal husbandry meant visiting a ranch would be a hell of an experience.

"With a human" was added for a reason.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Superman Returns was praised when it came out and made more money than Batman Begins. It's a shame people have since turned on it so harshly. It set up a grim sequel:

The Krypton chunk in space grows into a second moon orbiting Earth, which draws a Kryptonian visitor in a spaceship. After Superman shows him around Earth, the visitor intervenes in political events to stop a war. He pledges to share Kryptonian technology with humanity and to eradicate war, famine, and disease on Earth. Superman opposes this interference in human history, and humanity turns on Superman for withholding technology that could have solved the world's problems all these years.

Superman eventually discovers that the visitor is Brainiac, an AI that was responsible for destroying Krypton. In the final battle, Brainiac downloads into the only other Kryptonian body on the planet: Superman's son. As with Christ, Superman has to sacrifice his son to save the world.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Superman Returns was so loving boring. It dragged and dragged and dragged. My pet hate from that movie was when the toy train set got all hosed up by Krypto Crystals and you could hear REAL loving PEOPLE SCREAMING as the toy train fell over.

I've only seen like the last half hour of it but it feels like I've seen two hours of that movie.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah maybe they should have made the interesting movie first.

Instead of Lex Bialystock and his silent henchmen engaging another real estate scheme against Stalkerman.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toady posted:

Superman Returns was praised when it came out and made more money than Batman Begins. It's a shame people have since turned on it so harshly. It set up a grim sequel:

The Krypton chunk in space grows into a second moon orbiting Earth, which draws a Kryptonian visitor in a spaceship. After Superman shows him around Earth, the visitor intervenes in political events to stop a war. He pledges to share Kryptonian technology with humanity and to eradicate war, famine, and disease on Earth. Superman opposes this interference in human history, and humanity turns on Superman for withholding technology that could have solved the world's problems all these years.

Superman eventually discovers that the visitor is Brainiac, an AI that was responsible for destroying Krypton. In the final battle, Brainiac downloads into the only other Kryptonian body on the planet: Superman's son. As with Christ, Superman has to sacrifice his son to save the world.

Did that get revealed as the planned sequel or are you extrapolating from the broader details I've seen mentioned? Because that's pretty wild.

Superman Returns was, btw, awesome, and I was disappointed it didn't get a sequel right up until Zack Snyder got handed the reboot and the franchise was obviously in the perfect hands. The airplane rescue sequence is still fantastic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Toady posted:

And then in Superman Returns 3

unfortunately, Brainiac's calculations didn't cope adequately with the biology of Kal El's half-human, half-kryptonian son and his download attempt destroys both minds, leaving only a mostly incomplete and bizarre mind in what is left of the son's body, now supercharged by Brainiac's technology.

The boy bears little resemblance to anything he was before, speaking in seemingly confused and convoluted phrases.

Stealing one of Superman's uniforms so he can be a superhero just like his dad, he defaces the chest-piece and proceeds to accidentally murder cities worth of people under the guise of trying to help them. A little girl with a cat up a tree leads to the destruction of nine city blocks when he decides that it would be easier for the cat to climb upwards, rather than down, and buries everything under millions of tons of rubble.

At each ground zero as he flies away he is heard to exclaim "Am worse than Superman, am Worst of all. No thanks."

Superman, after several exploratory fights and attempts to communicate with his broken son, blah blah blah

SlimGoodbody" posted:

The plot arc culminates in Superman realizing that no amount of interposing will ever stop Bizarro from trying to do the right thing, just as no amount of interference would ever stop Superman from trying to do the right thing. We see Superman crying as he has to beat the life out of Bizarro, who doesn't understand what he's done. Superman doesn't want to do it, but it's a burden he has to bear in order to make the world safer.

This stuff writes itself.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, I think Superman Returns is more of a departure from what Superman fundamentally is than Man of Steel.

The entire point of Superman as a character is that he's an everyman who happens to have godlike abilities. There's an inherent duality between his physical Kryptonian self and his very human upbringing and personality that I think Man of Steel pretty much nailed, but Returns completely missed; Returns made him entirely alien and detached from humanity, which just doesn't really work.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Toady posted:

Superman Returns was praised when it came out

Uhhhh not quite.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, my memory of the reaction was a whole bunch of 'ehhh, it's a movie, I guess?'

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I remember people generally placing it solidly in the middle: better than 3 and 4, not as good as 1 or 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah people LIKED Superman Returns but no one thought it was incredible or the worst thing ever. And Brandon Routh would go on to star in the way worse comic book movie Dylan Dog.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 24, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Superman Returns just felt like sort of the greatest hits of the Donner Superman movies, just bigger. I could have sworn the filmmakers had said something like the development of their ideas for the film was so natural that they wrote it in a weekend... And I sort of think it shows. I sort of feel another problem with it, too, is that it's trying a bit too hard. It's got a bit too much 'style' to it when the world of the Donnor films felt a bit more grounded. You've got a miscast Lois Lane, I feel, who comes off as way too young. Even Routh as Superman/Clark feels a bit too young to play role as so established and gone a long time.

One thing I wished they'd done with the film was try to incorporate the businessman Lex into it better, having him reinvent himself after the departure of Superman to be the new hero of Metropolis. The films never really did too much with that idea, while the animated series and comics had moved Lex beyond just mere criminal supervillainy for the last 20 some years by that point.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Timby posted:

His pieces have somehow gotten worse in each consecutive movie, too. You have to look really hard for it in First Avenger, but it's front and center in Age of Ultron and doesn't look any better in his helmet-less photos from Civil War.

Wasn't First Avenger before it really started being noticeable, though? It was probably the last hurrah for Evans' natural do.

Maybe Cavill will get lucky and it'll just stick him with a widow's peak that takes years to reach full slaphead, as opposed to poor Mark Strong being bald as a coot since before some goons were even born.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, my memory of the reaction was a whole bunch of 'ehhh, it's a movie, I guess?'

Despite its flaws, it received an average of 7/10 and was praised by critics. The conventional wisdom that it flopped is wrong; it performed better than Batman Begins. Many people don't understand why they dislike it, so they resort to simpler arguments like "Superman doesn't punch anybody."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I remember being confused and disappointed by its omnipresent throwbacks to the Donner films. I was like, "wait, how nostalgic do you think I am for the 80's movies?" Because the answer was not very, and I thought it leaned way too hard on the assumption I was jonesing for another Donner movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Superman Returns at least had an awesome poster.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Toady posted:

Despite its flaws, it received an average of 7/10 and was praised by critics. The conventional wisdom that it flopped is wrong; it performed better than Batman Begins.

Whether a film bombed or not isn't based on a film's performance, it's based on its profitability. Superman Returns got nearly the same box office returns as Batman Begins but it also cost $120m more therefore it was MUCH less profitable. Warner Bros were expecting it to make $500m worldwide but it made less than $400m so they cancelled the planned sequel.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Holy poo poo, $270 million for Superman Returns? They have to be counting the failed relaunches as part of that, right?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Holy poo poo, $270 million for Superman Returns? They have to be counting the failed relaunches as part of that, right?

Yeah, they rolled in all those expenses -- notably all the money blown on developing Superman Lives -- into the final number. The actual production budget was about $200 million, as I recall.

Edit: I think they also included the costs from Wolfgang Petersen's Batman vs. Superman, too.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 24, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Kodiak posted:

Almost certainly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

Box Office Mojo puts the production budget at $270m, the-numbers.com puts it at $232m, Wikipedia puts it at $204m and IMDB puts it at $209m and $270m.

Hollywood!!! :argh:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Superman Returns got the shaft in a lot of ways. It wasn't perfect, but I liked it well enough and would have liked to of seen further sequels.

Stoked about Man of Steel though and how that turned out so, eh, win some lose some.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's a sort of inversion of the just world fallacy, where fans are like "I didn't like it, therefore it must have lost money and been hated by everyone." See also: Ang Lee's Hulk.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 24, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/BatmanvSuperman/status/702572716558159872

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Burkion posted:

Superman Returns got the shaft in a lot of ways. It wasn't perfect, but I liked it well enough and would have liked to of seen further sequels.

Stoked about Man of Steel though and how that turned out so, eh, win some lose some.

Man of Steel was so far ahead of SR in every single way. MoS for me was a great reintroduction to a lovable character while SR was a sequel to SM2 where he became a creepy isolated stalker.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's a sort of inverted of the just world fallacy, where fans are like "I didn't like it, therefore it must have lost money and been hated by everyone." See also: Ang Lee's Hulk.

Someone recently tried to argue this to me when I mentioned that some of the recent supehero movies I liked were Iron Man 3 and The Dark Knight Rises, a pair of movies that grossed over a billion dollars each

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Even Amazing Spider-Man 2, a movie I absolutely hated, made a fuckload of money.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
People are sick of superhero movies!

(Movie based on fringe comic nerd property makes hundreds of millions instantly, again.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sean10mm posted:

People are sick of superhero movies!

(Movie based on fringe comic nerd property makes hundreds of millions instantly, again.)

The next Marvel/DC movie is going to be a flop, I'm sure of it this time!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Even Amazing Spider-Man 2, a movie I absolutely hated, made a fuckload of money.

The one thing I still really respect about The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is how it has a stronger understanding of pro wrestling than like 99% of shows that do a pro wrestling episode or whatnot

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

The next Marvel/DC movie is going to be a flop, I'm sure of it this time!

Ask anyone outside CineD (and many in it) and it will be whatever Zack Snyder directs because manchildren hate him for some reason. Probably because he's a geek and can also tear a phone book in half without much effort.

Or whatever DC puts out because they hate their heroes being heroes and hate fun because comic book movies got to be a certain way or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

#batghazi

• Locked thread