Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Nichael posted:

But as I said previously on this page, Trump's tacit approval of violence combined with his extremely dangerous anti-Muslim rhetoric should outweigh any of his (purely hypothetical) positives. I guess it's just shocking to me that people can either approve of such ideas, or dismiss them with a "nobody's perfect". They are so fundamentally discordant with how our society works, and they echo the beginnings of the worst crimes in humanity's history. If you don't have as strong an emotional reaction to those principles as I do, there's really not much else I can say because clearly we have extremely different values.

i cant believe you need to be told this but john cardholder doesnt care about muslims (at best) and also doesnt have any particular reverence for the tenets of western democracy

sure there are people that dont think that way but obviously a very large portion of the population doesnt give a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Nichael posted:

I've been a fan of Sanders since at least 2006 or so, and I'd love him to be president, but I sincerely think you're overestimating his odds versus Trump. This is not a slight against Sanders, I just think Trump would easily take over the narrative of the general election if facing him.

Polling indicates Sanders has much stronger appeal to independents and moderates than Hillary does, and disgruntled Republicans are far more likely to cross over and throw their vote to Sanders than to Hillary if Trump does win.

Look at how Trump jackhammered Jeb! into the ground. Hillary has twenty times the amount of dirt on her and she and her husband runs in Trump's circles.

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx
I haven’t talked too much about this before but I’m seeing what’s going on. It’s horrible what’s going on. What happened is the last time they had the Super PACs, I actually think there was sort of a wall. You know, they called it the wall.

And this is a wall too. Won’t be as good as the one I’m going to build but it’s a wall.

I mean, even though like Hillary has a friend of hers running her Super PAC, I’m sure they never talk. I’m sure. What do you think the chances are that they talk? 100% or 99%? 100%. I’d say 100%. I’d say 100%. Only a foolish person would say 99%. But whatever.

They’re not supposed to. But they put a friend in there. They put other people in there. They put whoever. And that’s the way it works. So simple.

The whole thing with Super PACs is a horrible, horrible scam. The Super PACs have total control over Hillary. Total. Nothing over me. Nothing. I work for you. I work to make America great again.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Brannock posted:

Polling indicates Sanders has much stronger appeal to independents and moderates than Hillary does, and disgruntled Republicans are far more likely to cross over and throw their vote to Sanders than to Hillary if Trump does win.

yea, quixotically i think sanders is the only one that could beat trump, who in turn would skunk clinton, who in turn is beating sanders. its awesome

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Nichael posted:

I still don't get how being against policies like banning an entire religion from entering the nation, while setting up a database to track those who already made it into the country (citizen or not), has become something casually dismissed as something that only far left SJWs care about. Has this country really moved so far to the right in such a short period of time that we ridicule the people who want to preserve religious liberty and privacy for all groups like they're idiots on Tumblr complaining about cis pronouns? You do realize there's a huge difference there, right? It's not just typical liberal sensitivities, it's a betrayal of the foundations of western democracy.

I'd say they are idiots because we have been tracking people like that for years.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Nichael posted:

But as I said previously on this page, Trump's tacit approval of violence combined with his extremely dangerous anti-Muslim rhetoric should outweigh any of his (purely hypothetical) positives. I guess it's just shocking to me that people can either approve of such ideas, or dismiss them with a "nobody's perfect". They are so fundamentally discordant with how our society works, and they echo the beginnings of the worst crimes in humanity's history. If you don't have as strong an emotional reaction to those principles as I do, there's really not much else I can say because clearly we have extremely different values.

Do you really think Trump is worse than any of the other Republican candidates? He's the most moderate Republican in the race, even including the ones who have dropped out. If you think otherwise you are too easily fooled.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!

Donald Trump posted:

I haven’t talked too much about this before but I’m seeing what’s going on. It’s horrible what’s going on. What happened is the last time they had the Super PACs, I actually think there was sort of a wall. You know, they called it the wall.

And this is a wall too. Won’t be as good as the one I’m going to build but it’s a wall.

I mean, even though like Hillary has a friend of hers running her Super PAC, I’m sure they never talk. I’m sure. What do you think the chances are that they talk? 100% or 99%? 100%. I’d say 100%. I’d say 100%. Only a foolish person would say 99%. But whatever.

They’re not supposed to. But they put a friend in there. They put other people in there. They put whoever. And that’s the way it works. So simple.

The whole thing with Super PACs is a horrible, horrible scam. The Super PACs have total control over Hillary. Total. Nothing over me. Nothing. I work for you. I work to make America great again.

Mr. Trump can you give us a total on campaign contributions made to you? Is it higher or lower than Bernie "Sandwiches" Sanders? How many weed pipes lay empty to fund your campaign?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

Do you really think Trump is worse than any of the other Republican candidates? He's the most moderate Republican in the race, even including the ones who have dropped out. If you think otherwise you are too easily fooled.

He'd be the least bad Republican nominee, but is likely to be the easiest to beat in a general election, since his explicitly bigoted nonsense doesn't really play well with people who aren't Republicans.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Rush's bro is mad that I called him a pussy on twitter, now he's whining about it to his fans after blocking me.

https://twitter.com/DavidLimbaugh/status/702285529295880193

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

MaxxBot posted:

Rush's bro is mad that I called him a pussy on twitter, now he's whining about it to his fans after blocking me.

https://twitter.com/DavidLimbaugh/status/702285529295880193

Can you imagine the gloating on rush's show if trump dropped out tomorrow?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

No, actually, I don't on a policy level think he is worse. However, he is more dangerous because he has dramatically shifted what is acceptable for the right to discuss openly. I think he inspires some of the absolute worst portions of the nation, and that can't possibly be a good thing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Lemming posted:

He'd be the least bad Republican nominee, but is likely to be the easiest to beat in a general election, since his explicitly bigoted nonsense doesn't really play well with people who aren't Republicans.

On the other hand, roughly 160,000,000 Americans make less than fifty thousand dollars a year and his economic protectionism and platform of returning jobs and corporations to America will appeal to them. Meanwhile, Hillary's idol President Obama has been pushing and pushing for the Trans-Pacific Partnership and it seems we've learned very little from NAFTA other than to keep the TPP as secret as possible.

vrath posted:

Can you imagine the gloating on rush's show if trump dropped out tomorrow?

Why would he possibly drop out tomorrow? Did you mean to type Carson or Kasich?

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nichael posted:

haha

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Nichael posted:

No, actually, I don't on a policy level think he is worse. However, he is more dangerous because he has dramatically shifted what is acceptable for the right to discuss openly. I think he inspires some of the absolute worst portions of the nation, and that can't possibly be a good thing.

He has definitely made it more acceptable to be crude and rude but most of it has been aimed at politicians and the media and frankly they deserve it.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Brannock posted:

On the other hand, roughly 160,000,000 Americans make less than fifty thousand dollars a year and his economic protectionism and platform of returning jobs and corporations to America will appeal to them. Meanwhile, Hillary's idol President Obama has been pushing and pushing for the Trans-Pacific Partnership and it seems we've learned very little from NAFTA other than to keep the TPP as secret as possible.

Why would he possibly drop out tomorrow? Did you mean to type Carson or Kasich?

I'm talking about that pussy, rush's bro complaining about trump supporters gloating over the huddled corpse of the gop.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Nichael posted:

Will not discussing our issues openly make them go away?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Brannock posted:

:rolleyes: There's no rule against having multiple accounts, you got confused on what "account sharing" means.

The person I think it is is currently probated though, isn't it against the rules to use multiple accounts to circumvent a probation or ban?

I know it is for jonpop!

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

MaxxBot posted:

he's more moderate on some economic issues (trade, "not going to let people die in the streets"), but much more conservative on others (he put forward one of the most regressive tax policies, "wages are too high", history of union busting)

same on social issues - more moderate on some (history of being pro-choice, some people believe he'll be supportive of gay marriage), but much more conservative on others (his current positions on abortion, anti-vax, environmental issues)

I disagree with you putting him on the leftmost side of a single axis among Republican candidates. Chris christie was more liberal on most issues, economic and social, but supported free trade. Is that your only metric?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

The Saurus posted:

The person I think it is is currently probated though, isn't it against the rules to use multiple accounts to circumvent a probation or ban?

I know it is for jonpop!

Oh, that, yeah you can't use a second account to get around a probation otherwise there'd be no point to them.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Fiction posted:

How far up your own rear end are you exactly? How about his stances on deportation? Muslim immigrants? Name one platform piece they have the same stance on.
As Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton was directly involved in the projection of American hegemonic power overseas, including advocating for the deployment of an additional 21,000 soldiers to Afghanistan in 2009 as part of a "surge", advocating military intervention in Libya in 2011, and defending the drone program. She was additionally responsible for directing foreign service personnel to gather biometric data on their foreign diplomats

Hillary Clinton is a hawkish agent of American imperial interests with a proven track record of causing or otherwise enabling actual harm to real people. Donald Trump is a blustering demagogue.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

vrath posted:

Will not discussing our issues openly make them go away?

I phrased that poorly. What I meant was, he gives legitimacy to stances which should hold none. There's no centrist position between "X group should be barred from the country because of their religion" and "freedom of religion is guaranteed". The former is wrong, and people who believe in the former shouldn't be encouraged into thinking their thoughts have merit.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Trump's tax plan is a Herman Cain-tier joke and it's really a shame since he was shouting all the right noises about it. Being antivax is also a real shame too.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

he will deflect in 140 character or less, make the person asking look like a deviant, and will ruin that person for the rest of their lives

good strat

Lol if you don't think Harry Reid is gonna do this just like he said Mitt Romney didn't pay any taxes for a decade every day on the floor of the Senate during 2012.

Trump has yet to ruin Trevor Noah's life. His reach isn't that far due to his stubby little fingers.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i don't think trump can effectively attack hillary as being an insider candidate owned by banks because everything he accuses her of is true for him as well. other republicans can't hit him on that because that's attacking from the left-- suicide in a republican primary-- but you can bet your rear end she would use it.

i'm still hoping for bernie, though, he'd smoke trump by double digits.

Everything Trump did as a businessman does not have a stigma like it would for a politician. Businessmen are supposed to be greedy profiteers and buy politicians and scheme. The fact that he "used to be establisment until 9 months ago, folks" is one of his prime ADVANTAGES and any time you show him being a ruthless businessman you're giving him ammo to say that's what he do to China for the shareholder (the American citizen) and also enables him to know the nefarious motives of career politicians.

This is all a core of his platform.so I don't see how you all seem to miss it every single time. That little old lady he'd gently caress over for a dollar? Now that's a little illegal he'll gently caress over so an American citizen can feed his kids.

None of the business/corruption stuff sticks because Americans find it an acceptable value in capitalists, but NOT in elected officials.

And yes, Bernie would probably smoke Trump unless Trump went super-unconventional and explained how much of a sick Zionist warhawk Bernie actually is.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nichael posted:

I'm not sure what country you are from, but in America, we can openly discuss what ever we want and while you might disagree which what is being talked about, its all acceptable by default.

That is a long sentence that probably isn't grammatically correct. Anyway, not being able to talk about just 1 thing, is worse than someone opening talking about a million "bad" things. Bad is in quotes because what is bad is just an opinion.

Btw, the type of Muslims that are in Syria are the ones that want you and your western culture dead. They also extremely hate woman. Please stop defending them.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

They would still lose is the funny part. A move like that would be rebuked for selling their soul in desperation. Also, don't we usually call nominations around when unity tickets are being floated? Wrap it up, Cruzailures.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Nichael posted:

I phrased that poorly. What I meant was, he gives legitimacy to stances which should hold none. There's no centrist position between "X group should be barred from the country because of their religion" and "freedom of religion is guaranteed". The former is wrong, and people who believe in the former shouldn't be encouraged into thinking their thoughts have merit.

You also phrased that poorly. No where is freedom of religion for immigrants requesting entry guaranteed.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Just three Cubans away from summoning Caribbean Voltron

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
ayyyyy
https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/702256330392805380
lmao

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

correct

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I am sure there is, but is there precedent for naming a vice president before a nominee has been decided? I understand Gingrich and Santorum were considering doing exactly that four years ago but they didn't

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

vrath posted:

You also phrased that poorly. No where is freedom of religion for immigrants requesting entry guaranteed.

It's guaranteed once they enter, but the president can, without congress, issue a ban on any class of people for any "legitimate national interest" and the reading of that is extremely broad. So yes, a Muslim ban in today's world is 100% constitutional but if we let some in we have to then extend them religious freedom and all other rights guaranteed by the constitution.

My Con Law professor is an immigration activist and when someone asked "surely his Muslim ban is unconstitutional, right?" She cringed the entire time she explained this.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Remember that, much like speech and arms, the Constitution doesn't guarantee absolute freedom of religion.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Brannock posted:

Remember that, much like speech and arms, the Constitution doesn't guarantee absolute freedom of religion.

but goddamn, wouldn't it be a riot to see a republican president trying to make that case in 2017

pantsofwar
Jul 14, 2006
Yea, becouse pants do go to war? Eh?

Brannock posted:

Look at how Trump jackhammered Jeb! into the ground. Hillary has twenty times the amount of dirt on her and she and her husband runs in Trump's circles.

You forget that he also stomped out "build the wall" Perry.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Rocks posted:

This is a pretty good article about how Trump is a giant fraud:

https://twitter.com/mikiebarb/status/702180471967498241

Pretty classic that he's quoted throughout.

Of course this won't matter.

Records show just one Goldman employee, a financial adviser in the wealth management division, has donated to Mr. Trump — $534.58, to be precise.

That employee’s name is Luke Thorburn. Public records show Mr. Thorburn trademarked the phrase “Make Christianity Great Again” and is selling hats that mirror Mr. Trump’s “Make America Great Again” caps.

Mr. Thorburn declined to comment.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i don't think trump can effectively attack hillary as being an insider candidate owned by banks because everything he accuses her of is true for him as well. other republicans can't hit him on that because that's attacking from the left-- suicide in a republican primary-- but you can bet your rear end she would use it.

i'm still hoping for bernie, though, he'd smoke trump by double digits. i seriously think trump might clock EVs in the low 100s against bernie. too bad he won't be allowed to become the nominee :(.

bernie is a hard counter to trump. he has a hugely effective avenue of attack against him that he would harp on constantly during the entire election

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Nichael posted:

But as I said previously on this page, Trump's tacit approval of violence

Tacit approval of violence you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgcd1ghag5Y

Yeah, I guess you prefer explicit approval of violence.

Here's the deal Nichael - Hillary supports deporting central American children who are at risk of death and torture. She supported the Iraq war, which led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Muslims and supports American military action to overthrow governments and bombing browns. Trump said an outrageous thing once, something many don't think he'll actually pursue once he gets to the general.

You worry about Hispanics and Muslims? Hillary is responsible for doing way more horrible poo poo to those groups in the past than Trump has.

So the reason I can say those issues don't matter to me for the general, is because both of the candidates are just as bad on them. If Sanders was up against Trump, he'd get my vote in a heartbeat. But Hillary is in no way superior to Trump because of his stance on illegal immigration and radical islamic terrorism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Brannock posted:

This is kind of nonsense. Trump doesn't have a single policy beyond yelling "jobs!" and anybody who only pays attention at that level doesn't know what the gently caress TPP or NAFTA is so it doesn't matter. A Republican can't win without minority votes and Trump has explicitly been attacking minorities.

• Locked thread