Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Also, xxXXX is good for Adder because that means he can COP twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I'm wondering how you could possibly rework Jugger, Flak, and Nell to make them meaningfully distinct but still reasonable and also not completely new COs. Basically, Flak looks like a "fixed" Nell, and then Jugger is a barely-tweaked clone because AWDS. (Adder and Koal are in a similar spot, but I think they feel better to me because Adder's 2-star COP and a "SCOP" that is basically a two-day long COP is interesting, and Koal losing that in exchange for a few firepower boosts makes him feel different. Maybe I would play up Koal's road boosts during powers.) There just doesn't seem to be enough room in fiddling with the luck damage for three people to play. If you bite the bullet and entirely rework someone, Jugger's probably the best choice, but then what do you make him do?

EDIT: I wonder if you could have Jugger's COP/SCOP be "Choose a random CO's COP/SCOP. Activate that." Maybe with a limited selection, so you don't get a feelbad like activating Eagle's SCOP at the beginning of your turn.

Hachi could lose the D2D or have it replaced with something minor like half-cost repairs, and have the COP toned down (would 75% cost be fair?) and the SCOP give price reductions only on proper bases (i.e. units built in cities are full cost, so it's a choice between getting new units right at the front lines or getting them at a discount)

If Grit lost the damage boost but had the +1 range D2D, would that still be broken? Bringing him down to just +damage feels like it neuters his whole concept.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 20, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Glidergun posted:

If Grit lost the damage boost but had the +1 range D2D, would that still be broken? Bringing him down to just +damage feels like it neuters his whole concept.

Range is massive. Indirects with Grit are not about how much damage you do, but being able to hit more things to begin with. That creates a much larger field of deterrence and allows you to much more easily cover ground, giving your opponent massive problems in advancing. Pretty sure he'd still be broken, if slightly less so.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Glidergun posted:

this is basically AW1 Grit, who is decidedly not broken

part of the problem is I'm pretty sure these games were designed as single player experiences first and balanced for multiplayer second (if at all)

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
If the site isn't back up by tomorrow, I'll shoot Amarriner another e-mail.

Also, I might get Paul.Power and Anticheese's game along the way, as I think I can handle the workload.

Thanks to everyone for the support on this thread! You guys are the best.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

So I guess Kenny and mine's game is borked? Oh well.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So I guess Kenny and mine's game is borked? Oh well.

It'll be back up within the next few days, if Amarriner does something about it. Don't worry; you haven't lost anything. Yet.

Only ways this can mess up is if Amarriner loses the information in the transfer process, replays are lost forever (and thus this LP in the process (oh please no)), or if I take too long to update the thread after everything comes back up.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's back up now!

e: well maybe not

Looper fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 20, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

The Something Awful Forum > Games > Let's Play! > Let's Play Murphy's Law

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I sent off that e-mail today. I also asked him what the replay situation was like on the new hosting.

If replays start working there, then we can have a temporary backup just in case everything manages to be destroyed. However, I'd have to change the rules of the tournament so that the AET and Boot Interval were set to their absolute minimums, as to ensure data wasn't lost in the final transfer over.

...I kind of want to do that for the main tournament anyways, but I don't want to change rules mid-round.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Two steps forward, one step back: the old site is back up again. However, if you go to the "your games" page, there's a bunch of SQL errors.

Joyous!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Also, the time for booting continued to count during that downtime, so right now, my game says that it's 1 day until boot.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Also, the time for booting continued to count during that downtime, so right now, my game says that it's 1 day until boot.

Okay, with your game it doesn't matter all that much because you just began. However, I'm going to be really annoyed if I lose Kenny and Reynolds's game.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Slur posted:

Okay, with your game it doesn't matter all that much because you just began. However, I'm going to be really annoyed if I lose Kenny and Reynolds's game.
The games were very briefly accessible earlier today, so I managed to make a grand total of two moves, at least resetting the timer.

Edit: The Your Games page is broken - but started games aren't. If you have the game ID, you can access the game directly through the URL.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 21, 2016

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Things seem to be working because I just did my turn. The offlineness had an upside; the last few days have not been conducive to me getting anything done.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, it's back to "down for maintenance" for me, even though I'm going directly to the game page. loving brilliant.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Well, it's back to "down for maintenance" for me, even though I'm going directly to the game page. loving brilliant.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

We're making this happen. Throughout this tournament, we're going to find every single thing that can go wrong with AWBW.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

This map could use airports. Or any kind of property, really.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

You'll have to spend some time knocking it down, but after that's done you'll be able to knock out two opponents at once. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

wow you're doing terrible :v:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

wow you're doing terrible :v:

I know, right? I think I might surrender after VMing next round.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I can't get the site to work. Bah! Very frustrating. I had you on the ropes, Kenny!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I can't get the site to work. Bah! Very frustrating. I had you on the ropes, Kenny!
I was considering resigning when I could access the game the other day, but before I had actually decided if I were going to to it, everything exploded.

The snow means anything I was going to do got hopelessly delayed anyway, which probably is what I get for a few turns ago saying in IRC that I wouldn't mind for some snow now because it would have delayed you more than me at that point. Not that it would have helped in the end but I could have pretended that it did.

I also said the HQ capture wasn't going to happen, which was a statement that hinged entirely on me entirely forgetting you also had Victory March, despite that I've played Sami far, far more than all the other COs combined.

I've learned some lessons from this game, but I'll save mentioning them until Slur's done posting the game.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

AWBW is up and fully operational. Get your moves in while you can!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Ptarmigans posted:

AWBW is up and fully operational. Get your moves in while you can!

The CO power meter image is broken, as well as the SQL tables on the "your games" page.

I cannot wait for replays to start working on the new hosting.

Slur fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 23, 2016

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Slur posted:

The CO power meter image is broken, as well as the SQL tables on the "your games" page.

I cannot wait for replays to start working on the new hosting.

It was working fine at time of posting, I took some turns. It's down again though.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Ptarmigans posted:

It was working fine at time of posting, I took some turns. It's down again though.

I love this Let's Play.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It feels like a metaphor for the Advance Wars franchise.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It only works if Custom wars actually goes places and proves as a DoR analog, yet ultimately not popularized.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

It only works if Custom wars actually goes places and proves as a DoR analog, yet ultimately not popularized.

Custom Wars has been abandoned for a while now. I don't see it going anywhere.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Slur posted:

Custom Wars has been abandoned for a while now. I don't see it going anywhere.

If by 'abandoned' you mean 'the newest commit is less than 48 hours ago'... https://github.com/ctomni231/cwtactics/commits/master

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Keiya posted:

If by 'abandoned' you mean 'the newest commit is less than 48 hours ago'... https://github.com/ctomni231/cwtactics/commits/master

Well drat.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I feel like I should play DoR at some point. I even have the cartridge with me right now but everything just seems so different I'm not sure what to expect.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Super Jay Mann posted:

I feel like I should play DoR at some point. I even have the cartridge with me right now but everything just seems so different I'm not sure what to expect.

If you're unsure, there's an LP. (Not to hijack. But then with the state of AWBW, what's there to? :v:)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Super Jay Mann posted:

Trying to think of the main balance changes between AWBW and DoR. Recons aren't quite as strong, but are still vital in FoW. The Anti-Tank can cause headaches since it can stonewall everything from Md Tanks to B. Copters, but it's best to swamp it with infantry. Dusters are mostly garbage, treat them like flying recons or to mop up copters. The Wartank is not the Megatank, just think of it as the next step after middies. The changes to Battleships and Carriers are fantastic and make them fun to use, but they're still too expensive to use on a competitive level. Sea Planes really do feel like a solid addition: they're fighters that hit everything for solid damage, but need to be resupplied often. Oh and bikes are amazing. If there's ever another Advance Wars title I want bikes back.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

DoR threw away the fun colourful world they built up in favour of that dour uninteresting post-apocalyptic brown look that dominated the 2000's.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

DoR threw away the fun colourful world they built up in favour of that dour uninteresting post-apocalyptic brown look that dominated the 2000's.
On the other hand, imagine fun colourful world with DoR units.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Also if nothing else, DoR had, I think, pretty good characters, that would unfortunately clash horribly with previous AW characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

the music is pretty kickin rad tho, and the gameplay is solid

AlphaKretin posted:

Also if nothing else, DoR had, I think, pretty good characters, that would unfortunately clash horribly with previous AW characters.

the tactics room stuff was better than any of the character writing in any of the first three AW

• Locked thread