Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

redscare posted:

It's almost as if 1960s era labor law enforcement is out of date and needs to be updated to reflect 21st century realities.

I'd have to agree here. I can't wait for those cases in CA to finish up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Drogue Chronicle posted:

In addition to overhead, the company is getting paid because their brand and sales force, not your amazing connections, was the main reason you got the job.

The company is also getting paid because major employers are no longer willing to contract with single people directly, because they're afraid of winding up with you suing for employment. This means that even if I can market myself alone, the company will insist on contracting with me through an agency. My experience, may not be universal.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

axeil posted:

so who do we all hate more now, finance or tech?

aren't they pretty much the same at this point. Selling nothing and destroying everything.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The company is also getting paid because major employers are no longer willing to contract with single people directly, because they're afraid of winding up with you suing for employment. This means that even if I can market myself alone, the company will insist on contracting with me through an agency. My experience, may not be universal.

This has been my experience as well.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

icantfindaname posted:

Tech. At least the finance people don't have any starry-eyed libertarian dreams about themselves as saviors of humanity

That's only because libertarians don't believe in God.

quote:

The chief executive of Goldman Sachs, which has attracted widespread media attention over the size of its staff bonuses, says he believes banks serve a social purpose and are “doing God’s work.”

“We’re very important,” Lloyd C. Blankfein said in an interview with The Times of London. “We help companies to grow by helping them to raise capital. Companies that grow create wealth. This, in turn, allows people to have jobs that create more growth and more wealth. It’s a virtuous cycle.”

The dominant Wall Street bank posted third-quarter earnings of $3 billion and plans to hand out more than $16 billion in year-end bonuses.

“We have a social purpose,” he told the newspaper.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

I'm sure that's what they told the guys in medieval Europe building those huge churches in exchange for scraps and the virtuous risk of falling to their deaths

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Stinky_Pete posted:

I'm sure that's what they told the guys in medieval Europe building those huge churches in exchange for scraps and the virtuous risk of falling to their deaths

What could be nobler than falling into martyrdom? :angel:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think they really believe what they're saying there, it's just pro forma stuff to keep the peasant meatbags satisfied. The tech-libertarians really do believe they're the saviors of humanity

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 23, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

axeil posted:

so who do we all hate more now, finance or tech?

Tech, because they made the finance people that much worse/more powerful.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is currently how I'm employed. I'm a W-2 employee through some poo poo tech agency that offers piss poor benefits but I have to show up at a certain time and treated like an employee by my assigment without actually getting any of the full time benefits. I think we are finally getting a 401(k)! It's not too bad, but there is a definite turnover due to the insecurity that comes with the job. Oh and we just elected a governor that's going to push for right-to-work.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

Tech, because they made the finance people that much worse/more powerful.

Yeeaaah people who want to get really angry should read about high frequency trading.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Let's just say that I wouldn't be surprised if some of those VC's get some very interesting visits if they dare back out. :toughguy:

I wholeheartedly support anything that causes venture capitalists to get their legs broken.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What we need is an app that helps VCs identify projects to invest in, like a closed-system kickstarter for sociopaths. Ventur?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Discendo Vox posted:

What we need is an app that helps VCs identify projects to invest in, like a closed-system kickstarter for sociopaths. Ventur?

It's called AngelList. Or maybe YC.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

It's called AngelList. Or maybe YC.

drat. I shoulda known it already existed...that's ok, it's ok. Ummm... here.

Ventura is a promising new app that helps you select the startup company funding selection app that best suits your needs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does it include a premium "Ace" service that gives you exclusive investment deals?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OwlFancier posted:

Does it include a premium "Ace" service that gives you exclusive investment deals?

"Stanford mode"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

drat. I shoulda known it already existed...that's ok, it's ok. Ummm... here.

Ventura is a promising new app that helps you select the startup company funding selection app that best suits your needs.

The joke "there's an app for that" exists for a reason. There's probably some oddball startup or another that's already started an app for it.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

This tweet thread makes me so happy. https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/702124445666828288

It's the woman who wrote that response to the ex-Yelper

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
29-year-olds are millennials now? I'm no drat millennial.

vvv NOOOO

Mozi fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 24, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mozi posted:

Sorry, friend. Early 1980s to early 2000s. I barely dodge it at 39, you're in the thick of it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Subjunctive posted:

"Stanford mode"

"VirginView" gives you early access to our exclusive in-house big data algorithm for unicorn selection. Let the unicorns that lay golden eggs come to you!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 24, 2016

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mozi posted:

vvv NOOOO

You aren't even close, friend. Millennial goes down to somewhere around 1979-1980 if you want to get fuzzy with your demography, but if you were born after 1980 you're dead on.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Summit posted:

Ah, so in other words denying benefits with no increase in compensation to make up for it. Thanks for the clarification.

Edit: Also, probably not referring to professionals who do it voluntarily.
Ya, being an actual tech employee 1099 worker vs one of the hordes of service app workers is very different. I'm glad you have benefited, but the Door Dash guy making a few bucks every time he picks up a 21 dollar sandwich and spends his own gas money to deliver it a few miles away is not really reaping the same rewards. But its ok because DISRUPTION and SHARING ECONOMY.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

This has been my experience as well.

Mine too, the last freelance gig I had ended up going through an absurd level of paper pushing and review. Took C-level intervention to put things straight. I got paid something like 3 months late.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lacrosse posted:

Yeah Dell was doing that to me when I was working as one of their field techs. Dell charged customers $170/hr for my labor, but I was only getting $15/hr of it. I was a subcontractor, so there were 2 hands in the cookie jar before I ever even got to look at my crumbs. Oh and of course no raises ever and no benefits to speak of. poo poo sucks and it's everywhere.

I hear you. I work for an IT services company that sells my services as a vendor to a larger company who doesn't want to pay in-house technicians for gruntwork.

I know what they bill for me, and I watch them keep buying out other companies and reporting profits, but things are sure scarce when it comes to raises and benefits keep getting worse.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Liquid Communism posted:

I hear you. I work for an IT services company that sells my services as a vendor to a larger company who doesn't want to pay in-house technicians for gruntwork.

I know what they bill for me, and I watch them keep buying out other companies and reporting profits, but things are sure scarce when it comes to raises and benefits keep getting worse.

Some days I dream of tech worker guilds and then I laugh when I realize how many of them are libertarians :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

-

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 24, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

RuanGacho posted:

Some days I dream of tech worker guilds and then I laugh when I realize how many of them are libertarians :allears:

This. As I used to say, "If I never meet another 25-year-old Stanford-educated libertarian, it will be JUST FINE with me."

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

kliksf posted:

I miss fuckedcompany.com more than one of my friends ended up finding out he or she was about to be unemployed by checking the site regularly is there a twenty teens equivalent?
https://web.archive.org/web/20010515183530/http://www.fuckedcompany.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/2001060...=0&crapfilter=1

IN a similar vein the Downround tracker is trying to keep track of companies valuations that have dropped:
https://www.cbinsights.com/research-downround-tracker

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

illectro posted:

IN a similar vein the Downround tracker is trying to keep track of companies valuations that have dropped:

I'm the Jawbone series F. That one had to hurt to show the board the first time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Subjunctive posted:

Sorry, friend. Early 1980s to early 2000s. I barely dodge it at 39, you're in the thick of it.
Personally, I don't think you can count anyone after 1995 as a millennial. Feels like you should be able to remember 9-11 :patriot: to be a millennial. It's hard to have the millennial angst if you don't remember the high hog days of Pets.com

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 24, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

illectro posted:

Thank you for that link! Yes, I really miss fuckedcompany.com , at least until the comments got even crazier than usual for the Internet. (I think I remember racist stuff being thrown around, but whatever the details, it was vile enough that even somebody who reads newspaper comments ran away.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FilthyImp posted:

Personally, I don't think you can count anyone after 1995 as a millennial. Feels like you should be able to remember 9-11 :patriot: to be a millennial. It's hard to have the millennial angst if you don't remember the high hog days of Pets.com

I don't think many 8 year olds were tuned into pets.com.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

FilthyImp posted:

My memories of the 90's-2001 are getting really hyped up for 3D graphics in video games, that cool maze screensaver and wondering what the gently caress a twin towers was. And freezing my rear end off in Peace River Country but I like to think most millennials didn't have to deal with that. :v:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Trevor Hale posted:

This tweet thread makes me so happy. https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/702124445666828288

It's the woman who wrote that response to the ex-Yelper

"Why doesn't everyone just get prime bartending shifts in big cities?" - Young, white woman

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Radbot posted:

"Why doesn't everyone just get prime bartending shifts in big cities?" - Young, white woman
Don't forget thin and attractive!

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I've always done millennial as "alive, but too young to legally drink on 9/11"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bushiz posted:

I've always done millennial as "alive, but too young to legally drink on 9/11"

That's basically 1980-2000, seems uncontroversial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I can't wait until 80's nostalgia passes so we can get to 90's nostalgia because that shits gonna get loving weird. We're already starting to see shades of it in some places but it's not quite omnipresent yet.