Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

Bowser has had the absolute best themes of his life on the Wii U. Anyone not voting for Bowser's Castle in Mario Kart 8 when it comes up is a scrub*.

Pfft, like I'm not going to vote for Mt Wario every time it shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

NSMB's main crime is that it is incredibly, incredibly ugly

The presentation of the whole thing feels like a fanmade knockoff

The music too. It's a shame since the level design is tops.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

The music too. It's a shame since the level design is tops.

Yeah the whole package, music is a huge part of that. Like even in Mario Maker the NSMB tileset actually lets you do some really cool things you can't do with any other level but it looks so bad.

For some reason changing a level you made from like, SMB3 tileset to NSMB tileset makes it look a lot more amateurish

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

GameXplain can be silly at times, but at least they haven't fallen for SuperMetalDave's long con-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnqAlNDgUrw

-oh.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I was not very bullish about Mario Maker but it's really good and Shinya Arino owned me with the GameCenter CX levels. Also, any game featuring the Badge Rabbit is good.

gently caress all invisible blocks imo

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 23, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Vookatos posted:

It wasn't the amount of games that turned NSMB into what it is. They just really want to make another Mario 3 again and again. There's your plain world, then desert, water world, then some worlds get shuffled around (themes stay the same) and lastly, there's lava land. There are some new gimmicks, but I could never remember them because of weird lifeless artstyle and repetitive world themes. I know 2D Mario is popular, but people who buy these games won't have a heart attack if you include a candy level, or something! There's no need to keep it literally the same and squeezing every last thing from 8 and 16-bit Marios!

I hear that, I guess I just don't trust them not to fall into the same rut if they decide to just keep iterating on 3D World. (I also think people tend to downplay 3D Land, which was as generic as any NSMB game in terms of rehashing the same old themes.)

Miyamoto did say that he thinks the broader player base might have a stronger grasp of camera control thanks to Splatoon, so maybe he and/or EPD Tokyo will take another stab at another exploration-type 3D Mario game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Bowser has had the absolute best themes of his life on the Wii U. Anyone not voting for Bowser's Castle in Mario Kart 8 when it comes up is a scrub*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1kKtcNYbr8

MK8 Bowser's Castle is a pro-tier course, too. Not just the music, the actual course is one of the best in the game.

But like the other guy said, I'd vote for Mt. Wario over it pretty much every time. Electrodrome too, actually.

e: Neo Bowser City is pro af too, if you're good enough to not slam into every drat wall at 200 CC.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 23, 2016

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

NSMB's main crime is that it is incredibly, incredibly ugly

its main crime was not letting you play co-op with the tablet and one wiimote. To play 2-player co-op, you need 3 controllers.

edit: i said nunchuck instead of wiimote

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 23, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Polo-Rican posted:

its main crime was not letting you play co-op with the tablet and one nunchuck.

How would this even work? You need something to plug the nunchuck into, don't you?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Polo-Rican posted:

its main crime was not letting you play co-op with the tablet and one nunchuck. To play 2-player co-op, you need 3 controllers.

A nunchuk has never been its own controller, and you can play NSMB perfectly fine with a wiimote held NES-style.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Oops I wrote "nunchuck" instead of "wiimote." Sorry! Jeez!!

You could play singler player with just the tablet. But if you wanted to play 2 player, you were forced to use two wiimotes. This makes basically no sense at all, and luckily they made 3D World have amazing controller compatibility.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In multiplayer the gamepad is supposed to be for "boost mode" which is fun enough but also completely stupid because there's really no reason you shouldn't be able to control a guy with the gamepad instead of or even in addition to boost mode.

By fun enough I don't mean fun enough to be an acceptable replacement for controlling a guy.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Did they announce any earlier then this that Twilight Princess was coming out on the 4th? It just seems like it went from Direct to Stores really fast.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anora posted:

Did they announce any earlier then this that Twilight Princess was coming out on the 4th? It just seems like it went from Direct to Stores really fast.

iirc, Nintendo builds all their games off various iterations of the same engine, and have done for years. If they want to port and uprez an older game, it's actually not that hard for them compared to some.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Anora posted:

I think the same thing happened with Majora last year.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm about to get my Wii U back from my brother and I'm probably going to pick up Splatoon. Are there any other games that have come out recently I should get? I really want another minigame set like Nintendoland, but the newest Mario Party didn't really do it for me. Local multiplayer that use the gamepad in neat ways basically.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Game & Wario is cool as a party game that uses the gamepad in interesting ways.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The Wolf Link amiibo adds Wolf Link to Mario Maker, giving everyone hope that the rest of the DLC Smash characters will soon make their way into the game as well alongside Lucas and Mewtwo.

Who else is left then that have amiibo? Shovel Knight and the three rando Mii Fighters right?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Having Shovel Knight in Mario Maker might be the best and most ridiculous thing, because then, we will have a game with Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Shovel Knight, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, and Chitoge from Nisekoi.

I thought having Alucard and Optimus Prime in the same game was crazy, but this... THIS.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
For some reason I'm hyped for Pokkén tournament. I think my brain is broken.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Pokken is probably better than it looks in those GameXplain videos mainly cause the guy capturing it doesn't know how to play fighting games and doesn't like them.

I now this because I don't know how to play fighting games and don't like them and that's what it looks like when I play a fighting game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm playing through Pikmin 2 again and wow i forgot that the treasure sensor is pretty much constantly pinging in the caves. hachi machi

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I'm excited for Pokken Tournament, but I hope it has an actual IRL tournament scene.

e: What I mean is I'll be a lot excited for Pokken Tournament if tournament organizers don't figure out how to run multiple setups for a game with one mandatory wireless controller.

It also bums me out that, because the game pad is mandatory, there probably won't be any wii u arcade sticks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There are WiiU arcade sticks specifically for the game, and it has LAN play.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sade posted:

I'm excited for Pokken Tournament, but I hope it has an actual IRL tournament scene.

e: What I mean is I'll be a lot excited for Pokken Tournament if tournament organizers don't figure out how to run multiple setups for a game with one mandatory wireless controller.

It also bums me out that, because the game pad is mandatory, there probably won't be any wii u arcade sticks.

You're behind in the news friend. Pokken is going to be at Evo, so that's the grand experiment for the tournament scene. Secondly, the mandatory wireless controller (Wii U Gamepad) is if you're playing 2 player on one console because of how the cameras are used. The tournament setup is 2 TVs, 2 systems and wired controllers, particularly the Pokken controllers since those are literally are what's on arcade cabinets for the game in Japan. They got it already figured out.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 24, 2016

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This week's Mario Maker costume isn't an anime, but she is a bat with titties. This is the closest we'll get to Jam with the Band in the states.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
she is anime, sorry

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i should get out jam with the band again

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You're behind in the news friend. Pokken is going to be at Evo, so that's the grand experiment for the tournament scene. Secondly, the mandatory wireless controller (Wii U Gamepad) is if you're playing 2 player on one console because of how the cameras are used. The tournament setup is 2 TVs, 2 systems and wired controllers, particularly the Pokken controllers since those are literally are what's on arcade cabinets for the game in Japan. They got it already figured out.

I knew Pokken was at evo, but still :shittypop: at this. That's pretty exciting. Glad they got the logistical issues worked out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Takoluka posted:

I thought having Alucard and Optimus Prime in the same game was crazy, but this... THIS.

Wait, what game is this?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, what game is this?

There was a Konami licenced smash brothers clone they did with Takara Tomy.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, what game is this?

Wait, my bad. It was Simon Belmont.

Game's called DreamMix TV World Fighters on the GameCube.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

AfroGunsou posted:

she is anime, sorry
Bratz are not anime

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I think you're anime

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spellman posted:

Bratz are not anime

No, they are worse. But this character has a nose. That's the best thing I can say about it at this time.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Trent posted:

No, they are worse. But this character has a nose. That's the best thing I can say about it at this time.

Bratz are unique individuals, Trent

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Nintendo just tweeted about a Pokémon Direct this Friday.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rexroom posted:

Nintendo just tweeted about a Pokémon Direct this Friday.

drat XY came out in 2013 and they haven't even talked about the new one.

Guess it's that, Pokken, Pokemon Go, Detective Pikachu, then 12 other spinoffs nobody will buy

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
The Direct will only be five minutes long, so it'll likely be just about the new main series game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Man that's disappointing, but at least it's something.

• Locked thread