Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

raditts posted:

Planet-class MIB neuralizer.

I think I would actually be fine if the X Files were taken seriously and Skinner was put in charge of the newly formed X Organization aka he is the XCom commander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Honestly a lot of the mythos conspiracy stuff doesn't make a lot of sense post-Cold War and they need to reexamine what the show is going to be about.

Original x-files was all about the consequences of WW2 and the Cold War, and the crimes that were covered up/committed by the government due to fear of the Russian, and the related corruption and institutional breakdown in the 80s of those same cold war institutions

Imo new x-files should be about coming to terms with the fact that all those 80s/90s cyberpunk fears came true and the conspirators won.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 23, 2016

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Fandom.txt, pretty much. That's the thing about this revival - the show's not all that markedly different, but the internet environment surrounding fandoms has gotten incredibly entitled and pissy about literally everything. Other than the straight-forward 24 Muslim terrorist plot I thought it was a solid mini-season and it was fun seeing the actors return to form. Obviously Carter is one of the weaker writers and I'd rather see Vince Gilligan and Frank Spotnitz back, but it's nowhere near the EYE RAPE that everyone makes it out to be.

Ah, yes, it is the "internet environment" that has caused this "different" reaction. Because people just loved seasons 7 through 9 back then, right? The X Files went out on top and everybody loved those infinite resets of the mytharc. It is just that the internet environment has changed this time around. Sounds plausible.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 23, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
well they aint wrong about the internet being different

ever since that hacker uploaded herself into it nothing has ever been the same

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I say abandon the aliens thing and move on to the illuminati, mind control, social disintegration, and evil AIs

I mean the mythos revelation that the greys are basically just puppets for the evil ancient intelligence in the black oil pretty much got this started anyway.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The thing that gets me about this series is that it retcons a bunch of things away, but instead of then just telling a more streamlined story, it creates an even bigger mess. Like, how hard would it be to ignore the supersoldier nonsense and just pick up with the colonization plot pre-supersoldiers? The syndicate was playing both sides, so its elimination by the rebels wasn't necessarily the end of the colonization plot in a world where supersoldiers didn't exist. Pick it up from there, maybe even have Mulder have to go the syndicate route because of the vaccine, and you have a satisfying story.

Instead, after the latest retcon and new story, we have even MORE unexplained stuff from the original series. If it was all like the revival sets up to be, what's the point of the spaceship in movie 1, of the cavemen infection, etc?

This revival is like JJ Abrams hand waving away the prequels and the whole "midichlorians blood test" stuff just to set up the galactic conflict being decided in the galactic supreme court and establishing the amigdala MRI as the true detector of force sensitivity.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 23, 2016

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
"What you saw was a lot of hard work done with much help from the scientists who shared the story credit [Dr. Anne Simon and Dr. Margaret Fearon]. That was cutting-edge science, and was all real and plausible. None of it was made up — they made me stay honest." -Chris Carter from a NYT article http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/arts/television/chris-carter-expects-more-x-files-definitely-reads-reviews.html?ref=arts&_r=0

So all that stuff in the finale was totes 4 realz guys. at least "possible," jokes on us.

My problem with the finale was the scope. The whole world is crumbling and there's no way to stop millions of people from dying all around the globe. How can you come back from that? Thematically the show will have to shift gears into a show about rebuilding society, right? Im guessing not, which is a good thing, but then I feel cheated cause there's no payoff.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

joepinetree posted:

Ah, yes, it is the "internet environment" that has caused this "different" reaction. Because people just loved seasons 7 through 9 back then, right? The X Files went out on top and everybody loved those infinite resets of the mytharc. It is just that the internet environment has changed this time around. Sounds plausible.
I'm not saying everything was perfect or that everyone loved everything in the heyday of the internet, but all of that was before widespread social media so it wasn't OMG CONSTANT AVALANCHE OF INSTABITCHING at the time. So yes, things have changed.

Chairman Capone posted:

Also, what was the deal with the alien graffiti that Tad O'Malley talked about being spray painted in neighborhoods being targeted? Is that actually a piece of InfoWars type paranoia in the real world? It was one of the few things I didn't recognize as "actually" existing.

Like I said, O'Malley was a crackpot conspiracy theorist who believed everything, even beyond what Mulder believes. So when he latched onto a real conspiracy he added a bunch of paranoid bullshit like chemtrails and alien graffiti, while Scully had already long since proven it was the smallpox vaccination that spread it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I also liked the "we may have found an antidote... everyone goon rush the one hospital where they have it!"

That episode was pretty goofy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
And thus the series ends. Not with a bang, but with a wet fart from Chris Carter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't think the reactions have necessarily changed, but this one is so fresh in people's mind that it feels different from previous finales.

Like the Season 4 finale where Mulder's apparently killed himself would've been fairly controversial I would imagine.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I'm not saying everything was perfect or that everyone loved everything in the heyday of the internet, but all of that was before widespread social media so it wasn't OMG CONSTANT AVALANCHE OF INSTABITCHING at the time. So yes, things have changed.

You should really spend some time reading alt.tv.x-files from the era.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The X-files was one of the first shows to have a (relatively) massive online fandom, considering the size and scope of the internet at the time.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

Honestly a lot of the mythos conspiracy stuff doesn't make a lot of sense post-Cold War and they need to reexamine what the show is going to be about.

Original x-files was all about the consequences of WW2 and the Cold War, and the crimes that were covered up/committed by the government due to fear of the Russian, and the related corruption and institutional breakdown in the 80s of those same cold war institutions

Imo new x-files should be about coming to terms with the fact that all those 80s/90s cyberpunk fears came true and the conspirators won.

I agree, the show is at its best (Darin Morgan aside) when it functions as a critique of the deep state.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The second and fourth eps barely justified watching this run. The first and last episodes were bafflingly bad and embarrassing to watch. The were-monster episode had a few good bits but much like the shroom trip in ep 5 (also bad and embarrassing), every joke went on for too long. Two and four were the only ones that actually felt x-filesy to me but I kind of had to meet them halfway.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I have mixed feelings about this. There was one amazing episode and two pretty good episodes, but they were bookended by the worst three-parter since the Reich.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

raditts posted:

Yeah, that was the only part that was actually remotely scientifically accurate.

The following part where they took the DNA and magically cooked it up into some kind of injectible serum is the part you should have issue with.

The first round of PCR failed because they didn't account for her extra nucleotides (which somehow meant more blood was needed?)... how did she design her primers. :confused:

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 24, 2016

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
So X-Files ends with everyone getting anthrax and dying, and Gillian Anderson is kidnapped by the aliens. The End.

After Carter's Babylon, I really hope this show ends here, because Mein Kampf II couldn't be a truer episode title.

He literally became a racist conspiracy nut, and that's the true ending of X-Files. Because when you look into the abyss, the abyss looks back.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

nooneofconsequence posted:

The first round of PCR failed because they didn't account for her extra nucleotides (which somehow meant more blood was needed?)... how did she design her primers. :confused:
I'm a bit out of my element, but my understanding is that the electrophoresis failed because they hadn't performed a PCR first, not that there had been a failed PCR.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I was really thinking the twist was going to be was Alex Jones lite came back because the goverment got to him and the whole thing was just going to be a big fake but then it kept going and people were getting actual sick.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

joepinetree posted:

You should really spend some time reading alt.tv.x-files from the era.

Ah yes, that isolated singularly located community which is my exact point. Glad you agree.

benzoapyrene
Apr 18, 2013

nooneofconsequence posted:

Hell, how did she make the primers? All of their incredibly-accurate, vetted-by-scientists work was done at a hospital, using equipment stocked in a hospital.

Based on the episode's plotting, the entire vaccine sequence essentially took place during the time it took Mulder to drive to South Carolina. I'm pretty sure the CDC would love to have that turnaround time.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

benzoapyrene posted:

Hell, how did she make the primers? All of their incredibly-accurate, vetted-by-scientists work was done at a hospital, using equipment stocked in a hospital.

Based on the episode's plotting, the entire vaccine sequence essentially took place during the time it took Mulder to drive to South Carolina. I'm pretty sure the CDC would love to have that turnaround time.

Could have been even quicker if she had access to qPCR.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

computer parts posted:

I don't think the reactions have necessarily changed, but this one is so fresh in people's mind that it feels different from previous finales.

Like the Season 4 finale where Mulder's apparently killed himself would've been fairly controversial I would imagine.

Except I thought that was relatively plausible and not silly. Obviously a giant gently caress-you cliffhanger but at least it's not stupid

If the series ended like that it would be a hell of a sign-off/ Mulder watching Carl Sagan while a weeping and then *bang*

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was at least grounded in character and performance and grew out of what came before.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Ah yes, that isolated singularly located community which is my exact point. Glad you agree.

I would call that an "internet environment surrounding fandoms," yes. Or maybe "social media" is so powerful that it went back through space and time and knocked the x files ratings from top 15 to outside top 100. God drat social media! Now that is a hot take.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 24, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RugClockVexx posted:

My problem with the finale was the scope. The whole world is crumbling and there's no way to stop millions of people from dying all around the globe. How can you come back from that? Thematically the show will have to shift gears into a show about rebuilding society, right? Im guessing not, which is a good thing, but then I feel cheated cause there's no payoff.

If the fifth and final season of Fringe is anything to go on the last thing we should want is for an X-Files show to become a post-apocalypse show.

sticklefifer posted:

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
The episode was borderline unwatchable. Was it the worst episode in all of The X-Files? Probably not. Does it merit all the "goon hyperbole"? Yes. Yes it does.

Keep in mind this isn't just a bad episode. It's a bad episode that's supposed to wrap up the mini-season, but it does nothing to address the myriad of issues with the new take on the mytharc. Scully's wooden acting doesn't carry any weight, Einstein comes off as purely grating, the flow of the entire thing is pretty horrible and the cliffhanger doesn't succeed in making me want to watch the next miniseries. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm straight up avoiding anything written by Chris Carter in the foreseeable future. Between the premiere, Babylon and this, I think I've had as much of his writing as I can take. He doesn't have the benefit of more talented people keeping him in check anymore.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 24, 2016

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I just kept looking at the clock as the episode was playing and progressively getting more and more worried.
40 minutes left: WTF, why isn't there more Mulder?
30 minutes left: it became clear that however it ended it wouldn't be satisfying.
20 minutes left: some really implausible science has to take place for anyone to be happy.
15 minutes left: magic, basically (but not the cool kind that would fit into the X-Files universe)
10 minutes left: No way are they going to be able to meet up with Mulder.
5 minutes left: Wow that's a lot of traffic that Scully is somehow getting through.
Last moments: I hope that UFO just blows up the planet.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Similarly, I looked at the screen to see how much time was left and thought "how are we going to get this wrapped up in 2 minutes? ... Oh."
I mean at least this episode wasn't racist. And it wasn't near as head-scratchingly jumbled as the first one. It was just really loving boring.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This was loving terrible trash and further enforces how bad season 7-9 got. Chris Carter can gently caress off and I hope the show and characters just gently caress off for god. 1 good episode and the rest mediocre poo poo. Like that old joke from Eddie Murphy where saltine crackers are the best goddamn thing after not eating for a while.

"Whoa, X-Files is BACK! Here goes the first episode...." *ffwd* "Well..... it was ok, I missed it, so thats all good - cant wait for more tho!!!"

"Ok, that was better - I LOVE MoTW and that guy exploding was sick"

"HOLY poo poo AMAZING - Love Darin Morgan!"

"Trash monster is cool.... this really didnt go anywhere"

"What the gently caress..."

"gently caress OFF!"

I dont know where i'm going with this but gently caress this show. At least we got the first 6 seasons which were goddamn amazing for the most part.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Mange Mite posted:

This is the right X-Files opinion. MotW sometimes used these themes but the best conspiracy stuff always did. This depopulation/vaccine plot seems too much like Utopia, and Utopia did it better.

I thought it was going to be revealed that everything was localized to around the hospital and it was just a test run for the actual plague, but that would have made too much sense.

Does Chris Carter realize he named two episodes Mein Kampf?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Chris Carter is in his own world now we can not reach him

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Mange Mite posted:

Yeah that's the thing. 80's/90's fears were of an army of CIA (Or UN depending on what kind of :tinfoil: you wear) backed thugs would knock down our doors and lock us away for being "subversive" and to an extent those fears are still very real, however the big threat now is that no one needs jackbooted thugs, you already signed away your civil liberties when you didn't read the EULA.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Well Manicured Man posted:

The X-files was one of the first shows to have a (relatively) massive online fandom, considering the size and scope of the internet at the time.

The AOL X-Files Chatroom was the best.

It would have been cool if they ended the series on Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster but end the episode with the visuals of Mulder and Scully going for a walk together at the end of Babylon but without the monologue. And a better song. Credits roll.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This wasn't as bad as the previous episode but it was still bad and a terrible ending.

This episode had some interesting ideas but needed to be at least three episodes to have any chance of working.

What they should have done is intro episode to set up the mytharc, 2 MOTW episodes, and then a 3 parter for the mytharc. Lose the weird Babylon episode and trash man. Should've saved trash man for when it actually could have been a full episode about him, with a resolution.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 24, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Trashman was pretty cool.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Trashman was cool, the way it just kind of ends and hobo banksy wanders off without even promising to not do it again wasn't.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Trashman was wasted because Scully had to have A Very Important Episode. I think he only gets 25-30ish minutes out of the whole episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Trashman could've been way better but even as it was, I thought it was a decent enough MOTW episode.

But this... what the gently caress was that, jesus. While Mein Kampf I was mostly an entertaining trainwreck, this was just... I dunno, Chernobyl level disaster? Not much fun at all. Despite supposedly setting everything up in the premiere (and then ignoring it), it felt like everything came out of nowhere, anthrax, plague, ALIEN DNA cure, Scully and Mulder Mk2, CSM, UFO (didn't they blow it up??). I'm all for another season but only if Chris Carter is limited to a producer role, he's clearly incapable of writing a coherent story.

• Locked thread