Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

KozmoNaut posted:

It's an Audi, it'll happen by itself a week or two after you buy it.

Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

That's really solid advice. I had a few spare moments at work and decided to see what a Carmax warranty would cost for an e60 M5. I was absolutely horrified. The car was a 2008 6sp M5 with 57k miles.

100k warranty (total), $500 deductible - $4099
100k warranty, $50 deductible - $6899

125k warranty, $500 deductible - $5359
125k warranty, $50 deductible - $9k+ my brain tuned out after I heard the first number

Carmax warranties were pretty reasonable a few years back but they wised up after that DeMuro asshat made a career out of bragging how much his Range Rover warranty saved him.

If I got an E60 M5, which would be the M5 to get since its got an exotic V10, it would be a 6 speed with the lowest miles I could find and it would be a garage queen. I don't think it's possible to DD one and not spend big money on maintenance. I haven't seriously researched the costs involved but between the SMG and the engine issues (rod bearings or something?) their warranty prices are probably justified.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Oh absolutely. The 125k warranty with the $500 deductible would definitely pay for itself over the course of 60-70k miles. From that perspective you get an awesome V10 German cruiser and peace of mind for several years and dump it 6 months before the warranty expires.

What's odd about the S85 engine having so many issues is the S65, a derivative of that motor, has far fewer issues. I know the older SMG transmission causes a lot of the headaches but the engine itself has a propensity for letting go at alarming rates.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

0toShifty posted:

I drive a Prius and a beige camry. I think my next vehicle should probably be a crossover to complete the anti-enthusiast look!

You should just get an M235i, you'll be so anti-enthusiast that enthusiasts will actually get mad when they see you driving your non-M M car with a 3.0 engine but a _35 badge.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah but those rod bearings should be considered a 50k maintenance item unless you want to spend $25k on a engine.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Koirhor posted:

Yeah but those rod bearings should be considered a 50k maintenance item unless you want to spend $25k on a engine.

I want a big fast GT style car in the next few years and the more I think about it the better a ZL1 Camaro looks over an M6 or CL63 because of poo poo like this. Ain't nobody got time for that kind of thing even if its not a DD

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dislike button posted:

the more I think about it the better a ZL1 Camaro looks

That's a really odd way to spell "Shelby GT350."

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Honda/Acura have their NSX configurator site up. You can share your build.
http://nsx.acura.com/sharedsummary/...6QkkkRUNYOlY%3D

A mere $177300. So I'm about as likely to get one as I was the original when I was a teenager. Sure looks good in black though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Linedance posted:

A mere $177300. So I'm about as likely to get one as I was the original when I was a teenager. Sure looks good in black though.
https://nsx.acura.com/build/summary...UNDOkJPJEVDWDpa

192.5k. Honda seems awfully greedy about the carbon fiber upgrades.

If I'm spending supercar money I'd rather buy a Ford GT. Or a Formula 4 car/toy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Linedance posted:

Hybrids just don't tickle my pickle, no matter how fast they scoot. :flaccid:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

PT6A posted:

That's a really odd way to spell "Shelby GT350."

I watch a gt350 at the tire rack starting line murder every cone today and not put power down. A ZL1 just ran through like no big deal? I guess it depends what you want.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dislike button posted:

I want a big fast GT style car in the next few years and the more I think about it the better a ZL1 Camaro looks over an M6 or CL63 because of poo poo like this. Ain't nobody got time for that kind of thing even if its not a DD

Yeah I know but revving that engine to 8300 is an extremely unique experience.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

I watch a gt350 at the tire rack starting line murder every cone today and not put power down. A ZL1 just ran through like no big deal? I guess it depends what you want.

Sounds like an issue with the nut behind the wheel more than the car.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Koirhor posted:

Yeah I know but revving that engine to 8300 is an extremely unique experience.

It is a really fun engine, I've driven an E60 M5 with the six-speed briefly and it revved to the moon. I also have a feeling that the last generation of naturally aspirated M-cars will hold their value pretty well if kept in good condition.

Regarding the GT350 versus the ZL1, to me the GT350 seems way more of a track-focused car than the ZL1, not to mention a used ZL1 is about half the price of a new GT350. I'm not going to be taking anything to the track so comfort and effortless power is more important to me than lap times at 10/10. I have severe automotive ADHD though so when it comes time to shop for real who knows what I'll end up getting.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The gf and I went to check out and drive the new xc90 and Audi Q5. The Audi is really showing its age when you drive it back to back and the interior quality in the Volvo is incredible. Does anyone know how much better the inscription interior is over the momentum plus one? They didn't have an inscription on the lot.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Residency Evil posted:

The gf and I went to check out and drive the new xc90 and Audi Q5. The Audi is really showing its age when you drive it back to back and the interior quality in the Volvo is incredible. Does anyone know how much better the inscription interior is over the momentum plus one? They didn't have an inscription on the lot.

Why would you cross shop the XC90 with a Q5 and not the Q7? Particularly since the latter is brand new.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The inscription is the one with the crystal shift knob right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

drgitlin posted:

Why would you cross shop the XC90 with a Q5 and not the Q7? Particularly since the latter is brand new.

Her choice, not mine. She would prefer something with five seats and the xc90 to her seems smaller than the Q7. :shrug: It is kind of amazing how dated the Q5 feels after driving a brand new model though.

I'm not going to argue as long as she's ok with me buying something impractical with two doors.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Throatwarbler posted:

The inscription is the one with the crystal shift knob right?

Crystal shift knob is currently standard on the T8 (hybrid model), dealer installed option on the others.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Goober Peas posted:

Crystal shift knob is currently standard on the T8 (hybrid model), dealer installed option on the others.

Huh, I thought you were joking.

dev/null
Dec 8, 2004

This custom title is not tax-deductible

Goober Peas posted:

No it is not available as an option, since the hybrid gear selector is unique and the crystal knob doesn't fit the conventional ones.

dev/null fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 29, 2016

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

dev/null posted:

No it is not available as an option, since the hybrid gear selector is unique and the crystal knob doesn't fit the conventional ones.

Oops...you're right. I was browsing through Swedespeed the other day and thought I had read people were swapping them out. So much for reading comprehension!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Google has failed me: Is there any information on the next-gen Focus/Fiesta platform(s)?

Those cars are old as hell now, there has to be something coming soonish.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I would buy a focus with a regular autobox so fast it'd make my own head spin. Those are great cars with horrible transmissions. And the clutch in the manual is just idiotic, coupled with the fact you could only get manuals on the SE trim and below for the longest time and possibly Titanium, but I don't want leather in an econobox.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Her choice, not mine. She would prefer something with five seats and the xc90 to her seems smaller than the Q7. :shrug: It is kind of amazing how dated the Q5 feels after driving a brand new model though.

I'm not going to argue as long as she's ok with me buying something impractical with two doors.

Try a Macan :getin:

We started with Q7s and similar SUVs but my wife loved the Macan once I convinced her that it's fun to have a small, faster car, especially since it's pretty much a fancier S4 hatchback.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

BloodBag posted:

And the clutch in the manual is just idiotic
What's wrong with it? The one in mine seems really easy to use, but the only other manual I've driven was a Jeep so I don't have much to compare it with.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Chiron fast, yo

https://twitter.com/Tim_Stevens/status/704340248327802880

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Friar Zucchini posted:

What's wrong with it? The one in mine seems really easy to use, but the only other manual I've driven was a Jeep so I don't have much to compare it with.

It feels like an on-off button and the engagement is way too high. I came from an NC miata, so progressive and easy to read uptake is what it was up against and it was just lame to me. But so was the BRS/FRZ.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Modern clutches on cars these days seem really light and never seem to have the grab that older shittier cars do. Dunno if that's technically an improvement or not but the modern Fords I've been in recently it makes things feel a bit vague.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Maybe I jut don't pay attention enough but that looks like a flatter veyron

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I don't like the spider-eyes; inelegant.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

El Scotch posted:

I don't like the spider-eyes; inelegant.

daleks germans have no concept of elegance

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
At least when they're trying to make things that are "conventionally" pretty. Some of the brutally functional stuff ends up being pretty nice. Bauhaus design, BMWs before Bangle, Mercedes before they decided to target the "rich middle eastern 19 year old and American drug dealer" market so heavily, VW in the 80s (I still think that the Scirocco is beautiful).

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

The Golf is the most brilliantly designed and executed car on the market today.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wheeee posted:

Google has failed me: Is there any information on the next-gen Focus/Fiesta platform(s)?

Those cars are old as hell now, there has to be something coming soonish.

They are not that old, especially compared to something like the Chev Cruise

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

You Am I posted:

They are not that old, especially compared to something like the Chev Cruise

The current Focus platform is six years old, the Fiesta is eight, and the Cruze is now getting a new platform this year.

I wonder if Ford will double down on the DSG, try out a CVT, or go back to a traditional automatic next-gen.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Man, I want a leak from Ford Performance about what they're up to for the next 2 or 3 years.

I also want to know what new platforms Ford has coming.

Unrelated rant: bugger all the manufacturers who only sell the awd models Canada and don't give an option to pick the rwd versions that the US gets.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

88h88 posted:

Modern clutches on cars these days seem really light and never seem to have the grab that older shittier cars do. Dunno if that's technically an improvement or not but the modern Fords I've been in recently it makes things feel a bit vague.

Clutch delay valve so you don't clutch dump and stall plus shock the drivetrain.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The clutch pedal on my Mustang was light because it had a 120lb assist spring on it. Take that off and it actually feels pretty good and heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

BloodBag posted:

It feels like an on-off button and the engagement is way too high. I came from an NC miata, so progressive and easy to read uptake is what it was up against and it was just lame to me. But so was the BRS/FRZ.
Is it any different between the ST and the normal one? Or the 1.0 with its 6 speed? Mine's just the 2.0 N/A with the 5 speed.

edit: Does anyone know if it's different after the 2015 update? Mine's a '15 and the older ones might be different.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 1, 2016