Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Panzer Corps is great and so is the 60% off the collection!

Vanilla is okay, but the expansions and grand campaigns are so much better in design and victory conditions.

Also can someone link one of the LP's for ATG?

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How hard would it be to make 80s era weapons in WITPAE anyway. My life needs the Kito Budai to enter the Danger Zone.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
SoW Waterloo is 20% off this soon after launch, color me loving jaw dropping impressed.

Also neat: There are no complaining threads about this on the Steam forums, just one guy asking if the patch is included. [/grogs]

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Phi230 posted:

I'm really surprised nobody has made a Final Countdown mod for WITPAE. I would love to see how I can influence the war with an 80's nimitz.

A crazy parallel universe where America wins the Pacific War!

I'm going to back in time to give General Grant and the Army of the Potomac AK47s. Not because it's going to change history, but just to watch them poo poo on the Confederacy even harder.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

SoW Waterloo is 20% off this soon after launch, color me loving jaw dropping impressed.

Also neat: There are no complaining threads about this on the Steam forums, just one guy asking if the patch is included. [/grogs]

What about the Matrix forums?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Wouldn't have known about this sale, thanks for posting!

Managed to pick up some titles from my wishlist. What kind of game is Order of Battle Pacific? I'm a fan of WITPAE, but wouldn't mind a similar depth with a nicer interface.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm 99% sure the there's actually a Final Countdown mod in the Matrix Forums, if you dig deep enough

Fake Edit: It was for the non-Admiral's Edition game.

Fintilgin posted:

I'm going to back in time to give General Grant and the Army of the Potomac AK47s. Not because it's going to change history, but just to watch them poo poo on the Confederacy even harder.

I did this, but for the Soviets in WITE instead. Just cranked up the stats on the bolt-action rifles to something ridiculous.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Darkrenown posted:

Please don't spread the word about this sale, every copy sold costs them $$$ :ohdear:

It's not nice to gloat.

Picked up Pike & Shot - anything else I should be considering?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

V for Vegas posted:

I think it's the other way around - Caen is latest in the series. It's still shoehorned into the old engine though so there's not much of a difference. The full 3D Unity version of CC 'The Big Red One' was scheduled for a 2015 release (which will probably be 2017).

Ahhh ok thanks, I was confused because of the Steam release date. I really liked Gateway to Caen so I'm pretty excited for a new engine and 3d.

I think I've asked this before, but are there any good Age of Sail strategy games? Some really detailed ship of the line battles would be awesome.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Dreamsicle posted:

What about the Matrix forums?

gently caress you sir. You feel free to venture into those cesspits. [/womenincombat]

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

Please don't spread the word about this sale, every copy sold costs them $$$ :ohdear:

Too late! Grabbed Pike & Shot. Looks like the developers kids won't get to eat tomorrow. :smug:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Fintilgin posted:

Too late! Grabbed Pike & Shot. Looks like the developers kids won't get to eat tomorrow. :smug:

I bought War in the East at 50% off -- I guess they'll lose the house now. :aaaaa:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ZekeNY posted:

I bought War in the East at 50% off -- I guess they'll lose the house now. :aaaaa:

I don't want to blame the victim, but...

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

gently caress you sir. You feel free to venture into those cesspits. [/womenincombat]

You had to bring that drat thread up again.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Fintilgin posted:

A crazy parallel universe where America wins the Pacific War!

We could always make a mod for that one manga writen/drawn by a crazy ultra-nationalist where a JMSDF missile destroyer goes back in time. They decide the best way to fufill the JMSDF's policy of ending conflict with as few lives lost as possible is to harpoon the American carrier groups and give Imperial Japan all sorts of intel and modern technology, letting them dominate the Pacific.

Yes, this is a real thing. :shrug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I bought WitE cause I'm dumb and fall for sales tactics.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I bought ATG.

I have no clue what's going on.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

I bought ATG.

I have no clue what's going on.

Welcome to the party, pal. Spam engineers, build factories, become war destroyer of AI riflemen stacks

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Drone posted:

Also why on Earth didn't he just say "If $79 is too much to ask, we do offer a fantastic $19 buy-in that includes one of our community's most well-loved scenario packs. This is a good way to get a taste of CMANO with dozens of potential hours of gameplay before committing anything more than the cost of a large pizza!"

I really hope that guy wasn't actually a part of the dev team. If so, he needs to get a talking to. I don't expect the studio (is it really even a studio?) behind CMANO to have a marketing guy or even a community manager, but there is a certain level of common sense that needs to be applied.

Anyway it just reinforces one of the oldest rules of video game PR: do not let devs ever talk to anyone. Shame, since there are definitely studios out there who break that rule rather successfully (Paradox).

I know I'm late, but I just wanted to respond to this.

The industry is full of Comic Book Guy. You're essentially asking why Comic Book Guy didn't say something sarcastic and assholish.

Next, you should ask why the Scorpion stung the Frog.

(Am aware that phrasing it that way gave it a slight Comic Book Guy twist - irony.)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

Next, you should ask why the Scorpion stung the Frog.

To give us a loving awesome movie. A real human being. And a real hero.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Let's see... I might play ATG, Pike and Shot is on my wishlist, there's a couple of wait a moment what's that I see.

:downs:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Someone sell me on Pike & Shot and/or Battle Academy 2.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

dublish posted:

Let's see... I might play ATG, Pike and Shot is on my wishlist, there's a couple of wait a moment what's that I see.

-$5. They are paying you to buy their game.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 24, 2016

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

LLSix posted:

-$5. They are paying you to buy their game.

What was that about taking money from the devs? :v:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so I've finally taken the plunge and am starting an Allied campaign in WITPAE. I've only played scenarios before so this is a tad overwhelming.

I've got a few questions about opening moves.

1. What exactly should I do in China. Its a loving mess and I'm trying to take some key points but in WITP fashion my troops move at one mile per year. What is the key to fighting in China?

2. I have many fronts. Phillippines, DEI, SRA, etc... are all my stomping grounds. I know where I can make some stands in the future but how do I go about building up places like Port Moresby, Noumea, etc... so that I can stand a chance?

3. How do I transport my squadrons around?

4. I have a loving shitload of transport ships everywhere. I have no idea how the auto-convoy system works but I feel like I should dump my transports into the pool. How do I do this, what places should I send supply to (do I have to send supply everywhere?) basically logistics: what the gently caress.

My overall strategy is to forsake literally everything and then make a stand in the Coral Sea as is tradition. Despite being completely in over my head, I actually did something good and rushed my carriers to Wake, where I destroyed the SNLF invasion force there and sank everything the Japs threw at Wake. This is my only success.

Basically I'm asking what are the boring opening moves I should be making logistics wise. I have a strategy in each mini-theatre I cannot execute until I figure out how to shuffle poo poo around, and build up certain places. My main question is in the first month or so what should I move and where.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Someone sell me on Pike & Shot and/or Battle Academy 2.

Well both do one thing extremely well: they have a random map generator so they keep multiplayer fresh and exciting. If you like the multiplayer part then both are must buys.

Pike and Shot in terms of subject matter is basically the only game on the market for that sort of thing so if you have a real interest in the history it is a must buy.

I don't really have any negatives on either game. Both are a little towards the casual side but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing unless you want really high historical fidelity.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Popete posted:

I think I've asked this before, but are there any good Age of Sail strategy games? Some really detailed ship of the line battles would be awesome.

Check out Naval Action on Steam -- it looks pretty sweet.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

I bought WitE cause I'm dumb and fall for sales tactics.

*move panzer right*

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Should I get WitE when I have problems drumming up enough patience for WitPAE?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nuramor posted:

Should I get WitE when I have problems drumming up enough patience for WitPAE?

Action is faster and less complex... maybe? :shrug:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you have low patience let me tell you about a Grognard WW2 hex game that slowly drip feeds the complexity level from the simple invasion to Sicily to the massive front fighting in Germany in 1945.
It may or may not have a crucial and ridiculously complex air war component that i'm not sure I understand

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Every time I think I understand the air system in WITW, I get excited and spend 20 minutes inputting their orders manually, only to have the Luftwaffe completely devastate me.

The AI control of the air system is supposed to be "competent" but I don't really know that I would trust it to be able to actually win that part of the game.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Ok so I've finally taken the plunge and am starting an Allied campaign in WITPAE. I've only played scenarios before so this is a tad overwhelming.

1. What exactly should I do in China. Its a loving mess and I'm trying to take some key points but in WITP fashion my troops move at one mile per year. What is the key to fighting in China?
Read my current LP vs Saros and do the opposite of what I'm doing. It can't be worse.

Serious answer: Pull back your troops to defensible positions along the rail line if you can. Move badly damaged troops back to Chunking and other hexes where you can keep 10,000 supplies and set them to rest to recover your squads. Build fortifications in your cities, and check your terrain types so you know where to defend. Eventually you can blunt the AI's advance and throw together a large stack of units to begin taking back ground. Watch your road connection between the north and south, as if Japan severs it, your only source of oil in this theater won't flow south to Chunking. (Don't be like me and ignore it until its too late).

quote:

2. I have many fronts. Phillippines, DEI, SRA, etc... are all my stomping grounds. I know where I can make some stands in the future but how do I go about building up places like Port Moresby, Noumea, etc... so that I can stand a chance?
You can easily build up Morseby vs the AI, which isn't aggressive enough to make a play for the hex before you can move reinforcements there. The most convenient way to do this is to buy out some of the troops you have scattered around Melbourne, put them on a transport and sail them to Port Morseby. Make your airfield here a priority, and as soon as you're able ship in some dive-bombers and fighters.

quote:

It's up to you. Look at their max range - this is how far they can transfer base to base. You can also load on a ship (transport or air transport) or use rail lines to move them around. You can also develop a chain of bases in the Pacific to move fighters all the way from Pearl to Australia without using a transport, but keep in mind that every time that you transfer fighters over long ranges that there is a chance for ops losses.

quote:

4. I have a loving shitload of transport ships everywhere. I have no idea how the auto-convoy system works but I feel like I should dump my transports into the pool. How do I do this, what places should I send supply to (do I have to send supply everywhere?) basically logistics: what the gently caress.

My advice? Don't use the auto convoy system. Yes, you have to send supply everywhere, but different places will burn supply at very different rates depending on how many units are in the hex, what those units are doing and what air operations the base is supporting. Create large xAK TFs to move bulk supplies from the West Coast, then use smaller TFs to move those supplies to their final destination. Essentially, create spoke and hub systems. If you really want to use the auto convoy system, I would recommend only using it for bases in your rear areas.

quote:

My overall strategy is to forsake literally everything and then make a stand in the Coral Sea as is tradition. Despite being completely in over my head, I actually did something good and rushed my carriers to Wake, where I destroyed the SNLF invasion force there and sank everything the Japs threw at Wake. This is my only success.

Basically I'm asking what are the boring opening moves I should be making logistics wise. I have a strategy in each mini-theatre I cannot execute until I figure out how to shuffle poo poo around, and build up certain places. My main question is in the first month or so what should I move and where.

This is a challenge for the allied player starting out - you have a lot of stuff, but it's scattered. Choose a few bases away from the front with good ports - so you can unload and offload your TFs quickly - and start consolidating your surface assets there. From there you can start dispatching TFs to where you need them.

As far as specifics on where to move things, you can play it one of two ways. If you want to break the AI, move men and material to bases you know the AI will try and take - Port Morseby, Singapore, Rangoon, and Java. Build them up, make sure they have decent CAP to protect your ships moving in and out and strike aircraft like Banshees or Wildebeests. The AI will not be able to displace you if you make a determined effort to hold these locations, and an you can repel their penny packet follow up invasions at your leisure. Singapore is more difficult to hold, so Palembang or Java will also do the trick.

If you'd rather play a more realistic game, let the AI take what they want. This may seem like a strange thing to do, but it's honestly a much more satisfying game when you let the AI just take what it wants during the first half of 1942. After that point you are much less likely to break the AI, and you have let the AI take its historical gains. This makes for a much better game from that point on - otherwise it's not "War in the Pacific" so much as it is "War in the DEI". Also, be sure to set the AI to "Hard". This doesn't change the combat results like "very hard" does, but allows the AI to stay in supply. Otherwise the AI will starve itself to death, making for a very uneventful 1943.

paradigmblue fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 24, 2016

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

There is an Aar on the official forums somewhere that takes you through the first week of allied play step by step. If you can't find it just post a thread and people will link you to it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Phi230 posted:

1. Play Quiet China. Alternatively, if you're playing against the AI, keeping the Burma road open is key, as is concentrating your forces into point-to-point sledgehammers.

2. Look for your Base Forces and Engineer units. Ship them to your target bases so they can be built up. Once the bases have been enlarged, ship Air HQs into the place so that your squadrons will have the support and admin that they need. Ditto for shipping Naval HQs to where you want to be able to base TFs from.

3. You have to stand them down, then set-up a Transport TF, and load the squadrons via the TF loading interface, like you would a land unit.

4. You should probably forget about using the auto-convoy system for now. It can work, but only if you know how to manage logistics manually in the first place. It's basically picking spots that you're going to use as jumping-off points for Air/Naval/Land forces, and shipping a poo poo-ton of supplies (and fuel for ships) over to there. Supplies coming from CONUS should probably be shipped into a dumping-ground in Australia, then you can make smaller precision deliveries to Noumea, Port Moresby and the current FEBA. Ditto supply coming from India and points-west being accumulated in Colombo and/or Diamond Harbor (or even further back) before being lunged forward to wherever you're currently fighting.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I had some spare time at work and I found the newbie tutorial. link

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. Play Quiet China.

This, this, and this. Life is too loving short for the miserable click-fest of a large-scale land campaign in WITP. Unless you enjoy :bang: your head against a wall.

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 24, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On that note, what happened to the "even more newbie-friendly" WITP scenario that someone here was developing with easier pilot training and an even quieter China? All this WITP-talk is tempting me to do my annual Grand Campaign attempt early this year.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you do play the land war in China, it's relatively trivial to cheese the ai by locking it into a hex with a blocking force, then using your vast number of formations to wrap around and secure all the hex sides. Then it's just a matter of bashing away at the Japanese units until they fall apart and surrender.

Do this a couple of times and you can clear up the mainland by the end of 42.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Alchenar posted:

If you do play the land war in China, it's relatively trivial to cheese the ai by locking it into a hex with a blocking force, then using your vast number of formations to wrap around and secure all the hex sides. Then it's just a matter of bashing away at the Japanese units until they fall apart and surrender.

Do this a couple of times and you can clear up the mainland by the end of 42.

Isn't this what Grey did in the Allied LP?