Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

PittTheElder posted:

Aeronautics research in the precomputer era is insane.

What's really insane is that we use the 'strings attached to a wing' method to this day...

NACA and the research they pioneered in the 20s and 30s is the epitome of 'simple solutions to difficult problems'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

simplefish posted:

One of the comments suggests that applying rudder so jumpers find it easier to get clear is standard. If the rudder was left, and the door is on the left, it makes sense.
Beating the skydivers to the ground is pretty awesome as well. Here is a Do-28 doing roughly the same:

(Caution: Sail ahead)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPGSzLhCKlc

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Ugh that song is the worst thing to happen to aviation videos.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The only time I've halfway liked it was in the terrifying cliff jumping parachute mishap video.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

What's really insane is that we use the 'strings attached to a wing' method to this day...

NACA and the research they pioneered in the 20s and 30s is the epitome of 'simple solutions to difficult problems'.

Not so much insane, as there's really not a better way of visualizing things.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

That and "we can make the world stop" by glitch mob.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
IMO there is *one* single flying video that uses Sail right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awf45u6zrP0

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hogmartin posted:

This man is correct.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrYenko posted:

We actually had an incident recently with a large tactical jet operator in central Florida. They were using IFR commercial jet traffic as targets for practice intercepts, doing really extreme maneuvering (5000ft-17000ft climbs and dives, and lots of unpredictable turns) in the middle of a published STAR (Standard Terminal Arrival Route,) and causing all manner of havoc. Nothing outwardly dangerous, but extremely difficult to deal with, since they weren't talking to us. We've since established a letter of agreement with them that designates some airspace for their operations, and obligates them to talk to us for certain operations.

This is a few pages back, but do you mean Draken International? It's fun going on Google Earth and seeing MiG-21s sitting behind a hanger at the regional airport.

Of course Florida would be the state to have a PMC air force.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tide posted:

That and "we can make the world stop" by glitch mob.

It turns out that this is the best song for blooper videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgTJ21dL__c

DON'T LAND ON MAH TRUCK

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

hogmartin posted:

This is wonderful.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

ehnus posted:

Have you ever wanted to see what happens when a DC-3 stalls while skydivers are jumping out of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFyyLbD-Y7o

Would this have been a sedate 1G barrel roll or did they nearly snap the tail off there?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
They were so slow I doubt there was too much force on the airframe.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chitoryu12 posted:

This is a few pages back, but do you mean Draken International? It's fun going on Google Earth and seeing MiG-21s sitting behind a hanger at the regional airport.

I can neither confirm nor deny.

I will say that their display at Sun 'N Fun (which is at their home airfield,) was underwhelming. They had a Magister and an A-4 static display, IIRC, and nothing else. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

chitoryu12 posted:

was it near leningrad st petersburg by any chance

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Enourmo posted:

was it near leningrad st petersburg by any chance

It's in Lakeland, where Legoland (the former Cypress Gardens) is. About an hour northeast of St. Pete, which in Russian terms is just down the block.

They're a legit PMC as far as I know. I think most of their work is aggressor training, but they offer services replacing military aircraft like tankers and recon planes. As far as I know they don't have any ordnance sitting in their hangers, so presumably they'd be supplied by whichever nation hired them for service if they actually had to go into a combat zone.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Agreed.

Here is my new-favorite good example of an aviation video set to music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co7PgMcjdeM

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

inkjet_lakes posted:

Would this have been a sedate 1G barrel roll or did they nearly snap the tail off there?

DC-3s stall at about 58kias according to Google and that was significantly slower.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Well in the defense of Sail, what would you rather hear?

I mean the native soundtrack of that video would be a mix of HISSSSSSSSSSSSSWOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFF of wind noise and the BWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAWAWAWAWAWA of engine noise and the *sssssskkk krrrrrrrr SNAP POP knik snek* of a GoPro case.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

It turns out that this is the best song for blooper videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgTJ21dL__c

DON'T LAND ON MAH TRUCK

No matter how many times I see this, I can never stop laughing at the piece of runaway equipment at 1:15 (and 1:53). FREEEEEEEDOM!

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

buttcrackmenace posted:

Agreed.

Here is my new-favorite good example of an aviation video set to music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co7PgMcjdeM

Clearly fake, not a single mechanical failure shown.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Acid Reflux posted:

No matter how many times I see this, I can never stop laughing at the piece of runaway equipment at 1:15 (and 1:53). FREEEEEEEDOM!

For some bizarre reason, every time I see that I think that the tractor or whatever it is just looks so happy!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

MrChips posted:

Well in the defense of Sail, what would you rather hear?

I mean the native soundtrack of that video would be a mix of HISSSSSSSSSSSSSWOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFF of wind noise and the BWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAWAWAWAWAWA of engine noise and the *sssssskkk krrrrrrrr SNAP POP knik snek* of a GoPro case.

Dunn dananana dun dunn dananana, dunn dananana, dunn dananana, I wanna fly away, I wanna flyyy awaayaaaayy

OTOH, sail doesn't wanna feel as bad anymore....

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I'm appreciative of how much more rare that bodies hit the floor song is getting in military videos.

But "welcome to the jungle" and AC/DC will be in videos by the inter dimensional space empire 600 years from now.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I'm just kinda sad Bombs over Baghdad is no longer topical enough to proliferate, it's a good song.

(Not really that sad tho)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

And ironically if one were to 'blame it on [their] ADD' they would surely lose their medical.

:v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Houston, we have aAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

https://twitter.com/StationCDRKelly/status/702239878323372032

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Now THIS is a pain-in-the-rear end flight delay.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB1XCMywDLU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'd love to read the insurance report for that pickup

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

simplefish posted:

I'd love to read the insurance report for that pickup

“He came out of thin air, I swear!”

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Sometimes an Airbus really is calling the pilot a retard*:

NTSB posted:

When ATC advised the aircraft would be next to depart, the first officer began reading the remainder of the taxi checklist when a flight attendant advised a passenger was in the lavatory, subsequently advising the passenger was on the way back to the seat. The checklist was completed while the captain taxied the aircraft onto runway 27L. While lining up for departure the captain recognized the wrong runway 27R had been entered into the FMC and instructed the first officer to correct the entry. The aircraft came to a full stop on runway 27L while awaiting takeoff clearance. The FMC was reprogrammed to runway 27L a few seconds prior to receiving takeoff clearance.

11 seconds after receiving takeoff clearance the thrust levers were moved into the MAX CLIMB detent and nose down inputs were provided by the captain's side stick. The thrust lever was subsequently moved into the FLEX detent, a chime sounded together with an ECAM message that thrust had not been set, the thrust levers were moved to the CL detent for a second and again into the FLEX detent, 3 seconds later the captain announced "They are set."

According to the cockpit voice recorder neither pilot called out 80 knots. Both pilots recognized at about the same time, that no V-speeds were displayed on the primary flight displays. When the aircraft accelerated through 86 knots an aural alert "RETARD" sounded. The captain queried "what did you do, you didn't load. We lost everything", while accelerating through 143 KIAS the captain stated "we'll get that straight when we get airborne" and continued takeoff. Accelerating through 152 KIAS the captain initiated rotation, the first officer stated "wh*. I'm sorry", the aircraft reached 6.9 degrees nose up at 164 KIAS and the nose weight on wheel sensors indicated airborne.

Over the next 4 seconds, with the nose wheel indicating airborne and the main wheel sensors indicating ground, the captain's side stick was pushed forward (nose down) and back (nose up) two times reaching 16 degrees nose up and 16 degrees nose down maximum inputs, the aircraft's pitch and vertical acceleration followed the pitch inputs. In response to the next nose down input, as vertical acceleration reduced, the thrust levers were reduced and the side stick was again pulled (nose up input). The vertical acceleration decreased, the thrust levers were reduced to idle, 4 seconds after the nose gear indicated airborne the weight on wheel sensor changed to ground again, the pitch reduced to -0.4 degrees, and the vertical acceleration suddenly increased to +3.7G consistent with the gear impacting the runway surface, at the same time the captain's pitch input again reached the maximum of 16 degrees nose up. The side stick input cycled nose down and nose up inputs over 2 seconds again and reached 16 degrees nose up again, nose and main gear sensors indicated airborne and the radio altimeter reached 15 feet AGL, the side stick input went to a nose down input, and the aircraft descended, the stick input changed to nose up again and the aircraft pitched up hitting the runway surface with the tail first, then the main landing gear, the nose rotated down until the nose gear impacted the runway and collapsed.

38 seconds after the nose gear had first indicated airborne the aircraft stopped at the left side of the runway, the crew advised ATC they had rejected takeoff and were evacuating the aircraft.
They forgot to input a temperature value required for the aircraft to calculate its own takeoff parameters and overrode the warning, so at 86 knots the aircraft basically told them to gently caress off and reject the takeoff. The pilot chose not to, and because there was no performance data computed and displayed for him, rotated early and over-aggressively, resulting in a tail strike and difficulty getting airborne. The pilot chose to reject the takeoff at this point, but overcompensated while pushing the nose down and slammed it down onto the runway, then bounced it back up into the air, at which point the entire aircraft briefly became airborne, after power to the engines had already been cut to idle. The pilot again over-compensated and pushed the aircraft down onto the runway hard enough to collapse the nose gear. The combined damage totaled a 15 year old airplane.

*The "retard" callout means to reduce engine power by "retarding" the throttles.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I want to see that video.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

No but you see, 1500-hour pilots will totally not make these amateaur mistakes because rabble rabble

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Godholio posted:

I want to see that video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GiHXnSkP6Qw

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
It sounds to me like the airplane was perfectly able to fly (the tailstrike happened during the abort) so I really don't see why the captain tried an abort during rotation in a situation where just setting full power (if it was a reduced power takeoff) and holding pitch would have resulted in nothing more serious than a longer takeoff roll.

I understand that the airplane would have been throwing all kinds of ECAM messages at the crew, but unless both engines blew up or a wing fell off, dealing with the problem in the air is always a better idea than trying an abort past V1.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
He rotated befor V1 because the computer wasn't having any of this.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
pilot says go, computer says no

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

buttcrackmenace posted:

pilot says go, computer says no

Pilot says go - no wait stop no too late go go go drat gently caress stop I mean stop gently caress, computer says retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah. Flying the airplane would have helped prevent this situation even with the bad config. Perish the thought.