Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

VealCutlet posted:

You still can, I got to Sag A* in a week and they are spacing out each waypoint (1-2 a week) so you would have heaps of time to catch up.

The record from Sol to Sag A* is a little under 9 hours, but that's some serious poopsocking. If you knew what you were doing, it would probably take you a week to go from zero to an exploration asp. It's doable, but it wouldn't be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

G0RF posted:

It's pretty sad that the specter of Ben's dismal current state is convicting enough to prompt many people here to change their own habits, yet somehow not convicting enough to prompt his boss, friend, and benefactor to actively intervene. She remains not only unmoved, but seemingly eager to enable.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

man the more i think about sandi and ben the more it pisses me off

like how do you look at him and think "yeah eating junk food, that seems sensible about now"

like on the internet he's huge: in real life he must be a sheer colossus. not a diss, it just makes me terribly sad. and then this skinny rear end space witch is hoeing down chocolate biscuits and giving him boxes of donuts

seriously sandi, go gently caress yourself for thinking that's even remotely close to acceptable behaviour

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Wait, what do you mean "no invite"? This new patch isn't for all backers?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Wafflz posted:

Wing Commander was great, in 1990. If you've played any video games at all since 1990 then chances you haven't played something way better are slim to none. Shitizens are like the 84s on the E:D forums, only they stopped playing video games 6 years later.

tooterfish posted:

It was 1990, standards were lower.

Also, it's not just recently that games reviewers have been lying loving shills. I remember more than one scandal about magazines giving games high review scores after only seeing incomplete, barely functional betas. Back then it was even worse in fact, because they were the only game in town and the incestuous relationship between publishers and "journalists" was much harder to scrutinise. Frankly, I'd trust a 90s game review about as much as I'd trust Chris to manage a budget.

Old games don't become bad retroactively just because something better came out after them. If you played WC when it was relevant and didn't like it, then fine, but attributing its success to scummy reviewers and nebulous "lower standards" is pretty reductive. Yes, some people are crazy because they hold CRobbers and Wing Commander in such high regard that they're willing to ignore the signs that he's running Star Squadron Arena Marine 42 into the ground, but if no other games have grabbed them like WC did then there's nothing wrong with that on its own.

And 99.9% all game stories are dumb and garbage, hth.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Ash1138 posted:

Old games don't become bad retroactively just because something better came out after them. If you played WC when it was relevant and didn't like it, then fine, but attributing its success to scummy reviewers and nebulous "lower standards" is pretty reductive. Yes, some people are crazy because they hold CRobbers and Wing Commander in such high regard that they're willing to ignore the signs that he's running Star Squadron Arena Marine 42 into the ground, but if no other games have grabbed them like WC did then there's nothing wrong with that on its own.

And 100.0% all game stories are dumb and garbage, hth.

ftfy

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

AugmentedVision posted:

hahaha no you have to get an email invite

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

AugmentedVision posted:

Only for 6000 out of 900k hand picked by Roberts
And by hand picked I mean logged in the last 5 ptu patches and posted on the bugs forum.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Bushiz posted:

The record from Sol to Sag A* is a little under 9 hours, but that's some serious poopsocking. If you knew what you were doing, it would probably take you a week to go from zero to an exploration asp. It's doable, but it wouldn't be fun.

The grind to an asp would be not so fun to do in a week, but the travel itself is fine if you're into it. If not can just chuck on netflix as the effort involved to travel is minimal.

Also tripe in Pho is the poo poo, also Chicken Feet done right are awesome.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

alf_pogs posted:

hahaha no you have to get an email invite

WTF? This is still just a bunch of small dedicated servers running an instance of one solar system, right? And all they did was fix bugs and add some minor details?

What do the rest of the backers get to play? Different small dedicated servers of the same level, but without the bugfixes and criminal system? Im fuckin shaking rn

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
RE: Elite is boring

Guess what, space is big and empty, any remotely reasonable video game representation of it is going to be boring as poo poo

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

AugmentedVision posted:

WTF? This is still just a bunch of small dedicated servers running an instance of one solar system, right? And all they did was fix bugs and add some minor details?

What do the rest of the backers get to play? Different small dedicated servers of the same level, but without the bugfixes and criminal system? Im fuckin shaking rn

2.2 is a privelige, you aren't obligated to receive anything, just be happy they're still patching the game

no refunds

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

AugmentedVision posted:

Guess what, space is big and empty, any remotely reasonable video game representation of it is going to be boring as poo poo

The Star Citizen Defense

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Firewatch is supposed to be all right.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/318849/poll-should-cig-do-a-one-time-amnesty-for-people-who-purchased-vd-weapons/p8

$1000+ backer :pervert:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

lmao

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

AugmentedVision posted:

These people probably think that typing in a number or clicking on an arrow to define how many space slaves they want to buy and sell is boring, but loading and unloading cargo by grabbyhands is immersive gameplay.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

How fast was that post deleted struck from the records of the stimpire?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

im gonna go ahead and say it, sandi seems like a dick.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/47ag6d/what_sold_you_on_star_citizen/

:psyduck:

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

The Thin Brown Line is starting to smear.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.twitch.tv/captain_richard

Watched for 5 minutes, counted endless bugs.

2.2 is paarp

edit : he gave up playing because it crashed too much and is playing youtube videos now.

Star Citizen.

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 24, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Dowlphin/status/701451805595721729

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

When I read stuff like this it reminds me of that Southpark episode with the WOW thing. "We must save the WORLD of warcraft." "This is the END OF THE WORLD of warcraft."

This guy realizes that he could literally turn off his computer and go outside, right?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

cool fake empathy from a total weirdo

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Dowlphin/status/691727911787872256

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Ash1138 posted:

And 99.9% all game stories are dumb and garbage, hth.

(1994's Tie Fighter was better)

I was one of the weird who played Wing Commander on the SNES and didn't get why people liked it. It was years later I learned that was a PC game that my XT of the time couldn't handle.

Man, gaming on CGA XTs, so sad.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

A Mod posted:

We do not have a "Positive comment or no comment" policy

:allears:

Agrajag posted:

i like that he equates sitting on rear end for a game that will never come out to working your rear end off for something

i don't think you realize how much literal physical effort it takes for me to not shitpost 24/7

my arms wobble with the force of sheer will as i perpetually battle my own desire to do nothing but post about star citizen

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ash1138 posted:

Old games don't become bad retroactively just because something better came out after them.

if a game is "the best" compared to a bunch of the terrible games that were around at the time and then 20 better games come out afterwards, i'm pretty sure that makes the top game retroactively comparative poo poo

you could say "well because of game mechanic X Y and Z this is still more enjoyable and/or distinct" or whatever but i don't know if anyone could really claim wing commander stands out from its peers in that regard

there are plenty of old games that have withstood the test of time and are still enjoyable 30 years later, but i don't think wing commander is one of them

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

What is the Stimpire's official stance on delitzing?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Dear Mathias Yamato's wife,

I regret to inform you that your husband was killed when an alien weapon detonated 40 meters away from him. He served with courage and you do not need to worry about burying his body. The unspent portion of his salary (99%) is enclosed in a check.

Sincerely,
Commander

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

What is the Stimpire's official stance on delitzing?

That depends on which kind of delitzing we're talking about.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

"I became one with Chris"
:stare:

That's got to be someone from here, right? Please?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Loiosh posted:

(1994's Tie Fighter was better)

I was one of the weird who played Wing Commander on the SNES and didn't get why people liked it. It was years later I learned that was a PC game that my XT of the time couldn't handle.

Man, gaming on CGA XTs, so sad.
I thought the lesson from that era was don't play SNES ports of PC games.

I can't really compare TIE Fighter and Wing Commander since they were vastly different space combat games. TIE Fighter was better than X-Wing, but X-Wing also blew me away and it got me deep into Star Wars. I'm not about to say that X-Wing was bad though.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

if a game is "the best" compared to a bunch of the terrible games that were around at the time and then 20 better games come out afterwards, i'm pretty sure that makes the top game retroactively comparative poo poo

you could say "well because of game mechanic X Y and Z this is still more enjoyable and/or distinct" or whatever but i don't know if anyone could really claim wing commander stands out from its peers in that regard

there are plenty of old games that have withstood the test of time and are still enjoyable 30 years later, but i don't think wing commander is one of them
There's a good chance that Wing Commander's presentation was unlike anything they had ever seen before and nostalgia is powerful.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
X-Wing had some really bad level design that TIE Fighter vastly improved on, among other many things. Other than nostalgia, there's really no reason to go back to play X-Wing when TIE Fighter exists and is better in almost every way.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

natetimm posted:

X-Wing had some really bad level design that TIE Fighter vastly improved on, among other many things. Other than nostalgia, there's really no reason to go back to play X-Wing when TIE Fighter exists and is better in almost every way.

X-Wing also didn't tell you when you had failed a mission until you finished it. :negative:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319591/idea-for-a-new-player-race

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

yes, dating mechanics from anime is just the thing SC needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Haha, loving Knights of Sidonia. Its second season is one of the few things worse than Star Citizen.

• Locked thread