Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's weird to look at like Kakyoin when he is introduced as a villain and how lovely his face and hair look and then you look like 10 chapters later and he's the best looking character in the group and the flashiest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's a panel in Phantom Blood I absolutely love where Jonathan's getting out of a carriage and the perspective's completely hosed, making his head look like a quarter of the size it should be

e:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bad Seafood when you make the Part 4 anime thread I'm going to post "Read the Manga" memes, just fyi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_SOVs-HCM

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

multijoe posted:

There's a panel in Phantom Blood I absolutely love where Jonathan's getting out of a carriage and the perspective's completely hosed, making his head look like a quarter of the size it should be

e:

That's just how Jonathan looks

No wonder dio took his body

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

That's just how Jonathan looks

No wonder dio took his body

Coming soon to a Souls game near you: Pet Slayer Dio and Executioner Jonathan

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

multijoe posted:

Coming soon to a Souls game near you: Pet Slayer Dio and Executioner Jonathan

They already had Tarkus and Kirk so

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Close to thirty years of JoJo but don't ask Araki to draw feet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Feet are hard.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I want araki to get better at drawing black people

I believe in him

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Araki's art is the best cause you can see a guy clearly trying his best, and he slowly grows to have a distinct style.

That said, he's kind of terrible at different body types. There aren't many characters that aren't lanky. When Diavolo is the buffest man you've drawn in like twenty years, something isn't right.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

I want araki to get better at drawing black people

I believe in him
He was pretty good in Part 3 with one of the main characters being a black Muslim, but then you get to Part 6 and 7 and it's like what the gently caress happened. Part 6 has a lot of goblin looking motherfuckers in general, but any POC is just yikes.

I'll say that in far too many spaces, parts of Part 6 are super unintelligible in black and white, they're just crazy smudges and you dunno what just happened. Reading that again in color was a hundred times better.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 23, 2016

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Momomo posted:

That said, he's kind of terrible at different body types. There aren't many characters that aren't lanky. When Diavolo is the buffest man you've drawn in like twenty years, something isn't right.

Forgetting someone?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Baal posted:

Bad Seafood when you make the Part 4 anime thread I'm going to post "Read the Manga" memes, just fyi
As should everyone.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Remeber Araki's western art phase? that was weird.

hatty fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 24, 2016

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I was going to post this in Baal's LP thread but then figured it might be too divorced from the LP topic, so here I am:

One of my favourite things about Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency that I think are less prominent in the future parts, is that almost all the fights either challenges involve huge narrative or personal stakes, or the hero straight curbstomping the villain (E.g. Jonathan vs DIO or Tarkus compared to Jonathan vs Doobie).

There might be some examples I'm misremembering that are counterarguments to this, but it seems refreshing when a show doesn't waste time drawing out fights where victory is inevitable, for the sake of, I don't know, anime melodrama and pointless powerups.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Hey Alcharagia when are you going to read part se-

hatty posted:

:shittypop:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

hatty posted:

What's this actually from?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A guy in 1997 read Stardust Crusaders and thought "hey this is pretty cool, I should totally rip off everything about this"
Its called Diesel, there was only one issue and its pretty bad

hatty fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 24, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah that art loving sucks

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

a 1997 comic called Diesel
there was only one issue and its pretty bad

Probably the work of an enemy Stand.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I want to see how far they take it, though.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The guy at least knew the proper way to deal with dogs

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

someone please wish it into the cornfield

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, that's a pretty blatant ripoff, if the dog won then it would've been the most blatant.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that is way less funny and cool than the blind man getting hit with a dog that was thrown at mach 1

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

hatty posted:

It took me until the second page before I realized the speech bubbles probably weren't edited

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Wait, is that the actual dialogue

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Yeah there's nothing exciting about anything in that art. How sad. Just look at that Star Platinum ripoff.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i'm so glad this happened

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
To be honest, if I had read JoJo's in the 90s when probably no one in the US had yet, I would totally steal some of that poo poo for my lovely comic.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

hey jojo peeps hows it hang-

hatty posted:

what the actual gently caress

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Black Templar.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not even slightly disguising that it's plagiarising, it's amazing.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Black Templar.

oh my god i just noticed the dude is black jesus christ it just keeps getting better.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I like the idea of deciding to copy JJBA, but not the characters, poses, costumes, artstyle or basically anything that makes JoJo interesting

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I am slightly disappointed that this didn't continue because I really want to see this guy's take on D'Arby.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Cicadalek posted:

I like the idea of deciding to copy JJBA, but not the characters, poses, costumes, artstyle or basically anything that makes JoJo interesting

I like the A+ intelligence of the fight where the dude sends his Stand directly at the face of a guy he doesn't know the appearance of, while apparently being completely aware that there is a stand wielded by a guy called Azizi called BLACK TEMPLAR that controls fire and when it gets completely covered in flame he escapes with only a slight burn on his arm.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
A black guy with a stand that controls fire? How weird!

The mech design is pretty cool at least

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
This is hilariously shameless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Guy that gets his head blown off is called Joseph, odds that the main character dude has a Jo-name?

also apparently not-n'doul is brazilian or something