Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know Kaz did one of some sort of RPG where he abused integer underflow to buff his stats, but I don't remember which game. I don't remember it being all that exciting after the initial abuse, admittedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Jsor posted:

I know Kaz did one of some sort of RPG where he abused integer underflow to buff his stats, but I don't remember which game. I don't remember it being all that exciting after the initial abuse, admittedly.

Secret of Evermore, I believe. I don't think there were any glitches used beyond the really simple (and boring) underflow glitch.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I would say that using game features in creative ways is very much breaking the game. [Deleted after I realized that I technically plugged my own thread, even if unintentionally]

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 15, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I broke Neopets by farming for six hours and then buying endgame gear.

Also, is the "don't plug your own thread" rule still in effect for on-theme recommendations? I did some glitch LPs a bit ago.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Not quite as good as Let's Break FFVI, and not on SA, but still pretty good: Let's Break FFIV!

http://www.letsplayforum.net/showthread.php?4684-Let-s-Break-Final-Fantasy-IV

A number of these glitches are used in the FFIV speedrunning community. It's not just "make it really easy to beat enemies" stuff, there are a couple of big sequence-breaking bugs in the game. If you don't already know about them, I won't spoil them.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

rujasu posted:

Not quite as good as Let's Break FFVI, and not on SA, but still pretty good: Let's Break FFIV!

http://www.letsplayforum.net/showthread.php?4684-Let-s-Break-Final-Fantasy-IV

A number of these glitches are used in the FFIV speedrunning community. It's not just "make it really easy to beat enemies" stuff, there are a couple of big sequence-breaking bugs in the game. If you don't already know about them, I won't spoil them.

It's not really a problem that the LP isn't on SA. However, I clicked on the first update and was greeted by a wall of broken image links, so I can't really recommend this.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Olesh posted:

It's not really a problem that the LP isn't on SA. However, I clicked on the first update and was greeted by a wall of broken image links, so I can't really recommend this.

Hmm. Looks like you're correct. Well, if you're interested in breaking FFIV, watch any speedrun involving the "64 door glitch" or check out the following links:

http://kotaku.com/how-to-break-final-fantasy-iv-499854588
http://matotree.com/2012/08/final-fantasy-iv-the-legendary-64-room-levels-bug/

Those two glitches are IMO the most interesting ones in FFIV, and they're easy enough to pull off by yourself if you have the SNES version of the game. There are a few other good ones.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
I didn't mean that Stealing wasn't a part of the game. But when you're save-scumming to the point where you're grabbing everything from everyone and being OP for most, if not th entirety, of the game, I consider that breaking the game.

It's like in FF Type-0 HD where you can set the clock ahead and train all of your characters to easily handle anything thrown at them. It wasn't meant to be used that way.

Anyways, it's a little difficult to come across actual LPs of someone breaking a game, when the majority of those types of videos are just a series of unconnected videos. Most of the time you just end up having to reset or going to another part of the game rather than keep going in an LP format.

AMReese fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 16, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Any good co-op LPs by video?

Have seen Dad and Dan's Mercs 2, Kaubocks and Panzer Skank's Gentlemen of the Row and Chip and Snark's Peace Walker

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

bunnyofdoom posted:

Have seen Dad and Dan's Mercs 2, Kaubocks and Panzer Skank's Gentlemen of the Row and Chip and Snark's Peace Walker

Resident Evil 5 may be what you're looking for.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So I am watching Best friends Play Figino Story Cyber Sleuth and it looks wicked. Is there a good LP of it, possibly including the conversations you can have with thone 'crowd' NPCs that have one or two lines?

look i am that person who has to read everything in a game, don't judge me

E:bonus points if they pink Hagurumon as the starter

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 16, 2016

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

The only LP going on right now, since the game just came out, is this one.

He picked Terriermon, and he's voicing the dialogue, so... Have fun with that.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Does anyone know of a good LP of Soma? So far all I've found are scarecams.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Sociopastry posted:

Does anyone know of a good LP of Soma? So far all I've found are scarecams.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764000

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thanks!

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Any good puzzle VLP recommendations?

I marathoned through CannibalK9's Talos principle LP thanks to this thread, and now I'm jonesing for more puzzle solving goodness.

I don't mind blind as long as they don't spend too much time failing at stuff.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I didn't watch the VLP but I liked Puzzle Agent.

Oh, and SGF streaming himself playing a blind run through 999.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

AMReese posted:

I didn't watch the VLP but I liked Puzzle Agent.

Oh, and SGF streaming himself playing a blind run through 999.

Ahh, already seen both. I actually just watched Puzzle Agent again though, I'd forgotten most of it and the format makes knowing the puzzles not really ruin the LP, so that killed a few hours. :downs:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Powerfrog posted:

I marathoned through CannibalK9's Talos principle LP thanks to this thread, and now I'm jonesing for more puzzle solving goodness.

frozentreasure did a really good one of Fez, although it's a very systematic and spoiler-free "collect all cubes before going for the anticubes" run so if you're familiar with the game you might get a little frustrated.

Occultatio and Mott514 did a bunch of puzzle platformer VLPs a while back, and a few of them are in the LP archive or on their YouTube channel. Most of them are blind player/non-blind co-commentator, and work pretty well. Antichamber is double-blind, and... didn't work so well (Quantum Conundrum is also double-blind, but also a lot more straightforward, so it still works).

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's not really an LP but helloitsdan did a pretty entertaining stream of Resident Evil 6 with his friend Faker a while back.

https://youtu.be/Gw88luFeNW0?list=PLt8dprSVHHoyjAsv1p6V1GfBPqnJ25SDF

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

StrawHatNo are plying Triforce Heroes. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764736

If you wanna go look at Youtube LPs there's ProtonJon's Resident Evil 5 Here and TRG are basically all co-op LPs. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheRunawayGuys/playlists

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I recommend Four Swords Adventures and Mario Parties by pokecapn, KFJ, medibot, and Kaz. Also, New Super Mario Bros. Wii and many others by the Freelance Astronauts.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Can anyone recommend a good (and ideally blind) LP or Dark Souls 2? There are quite a few of them on the list.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Original or SotFS?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
IGgy IGsen's Dark Souls II LP is good. Covers all the DLC, as well. It is not blind, though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Here's a link to the Youtube playlist.

CLICKY

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Here's a link to the Youtube playlist.

CLICKY

teamwork

:hfive:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm a fan of Kay's, but it's not SotFS if you're looking for that exclusively.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

She has another playlist for the DLC (NG+).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Powerfrog posted:

The ongoing LP of The Witness is quite good so far.
pedrovay2003 and his wife have a good dynamic. It's a blind run, but that game is constructed in a way which teaches you thinks. So that approach probably works better than an experienced run.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

pedrovay2003 and his wife have a good dynamic.
I'd be concerned if this wasn't the case.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Anything for Megaman Zero 4? The series in general has been pretty thoroughly LP'd except for this one game, which only has one abandoned LP in the master list.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
edit: Nevermind, thought it's the Before I Play Thread. I'd like to see Zero 4 myself, it's a good game and much easier than its predecessors.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Not to get off topic, but the longplays of the Zero games seem like they were made by a speedrunner, only stopping to let dialogue play out. The same guy has done all of them, so if you're curious, here's one for the first game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7sK51i5vUQ

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Any good LP's of Viewtiful Joe? I feel like I have seen one offs or streams but never a full lp playthrough.

Also as a offering I rediscovered Chorpsaway's LP of Drake and the 99 Dragons recently and cannot recommend it enough to anyone who is a fan of terribly made games being LP'd well.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ZeusCannon posted:

Also as a offering I rediscovered Chorpsaway's LP of Drake and the 99 Dragons recently and cannot recommend it enough to anyone who is a fan of terribly made games being LP'd well.
make sure you watch both Cut and Uncut versions of the videos

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

make sure you watch both Cut and Uncut versions of the videos
Why?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
More foreskin

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Just watch the first videos of both versions and the reason will become clear.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

terribly made games being LP'd well.

This got me wondering what LPs had the largest amount of individual effort put into them over the years? (key word: individual) Game doesn't necessarily have to be bad.

I feel it's hard to come up with suggestions without feeling borderline offensive to others, there's a lot of effort on SA, but ones that immediately strike me are Chewbot's Animal Crossing, Didjaredo's Gazillionaire Deluxe, habeasdorkus' Football Manager 2014... But maybe I'm looking too much at blatant writing creativity and length and ignoring much more subtle stuff. It doesn't help that my memory is horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Powerfrog posted:

This got me wondering what LPs had the largest amount of individual effort put into them over the years? (key word: individual) Game doesn't necessarily have to be bad.

No question to me: Smasher Dynamo's Super-League. Started in 2011 as a Baseball Mogul LP but morphed into something else, and still going with updates every two days. The fact that Smasher Dynamo is somehow still continuing this and keeping to a schedule so incredibly well is something I never would have been able to consider possible.