Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Idiots on Social Media: Ringworm Antelope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Maggie Fletcher posted:

JFC, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad your son got to go, but holy Christ that's awful. I can't believe people sometimes.

How can people be so heartless? Also, do they really expect a charity to send every kid in the country to Disney just because?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

At least Peter is fighting the good fight :respek:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
In Sweden we had recently a case where the woman ended up admitting that the rape accusation was a lie. I'm very surprised to say that I've barely seen any MRA stuff in relation to the story.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

JT Smiley posted:

How can people be so heartless? Also, do they really expect a charity to send every kid in the country to Disney just because?

No. Of course not. Just theirs.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Thank gently caress Matt has finally weighed in and told us Ke$ha is lying

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Is there an Idiots on Quora thread? I foolishly signed up a year ago because I thought it'd be interesting, and now I receive stupid email summaries every week and I hate everyone on it.

These idiots are obsessed with IQ and trying to figure out how to act like geniuses. It's some kind of circlejerk of self-validation. Here are the kinds of questions I get in my digest:

quote:

How can you identify intelligent people?

quote:

Will a programmer with an IQ of 160 likely be more productive than a programmer with an IQ of 130?

quote:

Why is Mensa IQ percentile so low?
Being in +%98 percentile is not something to brag about. I mean, why would you be so proud and feel intellectually gifted if 1 out of 50 people are same or more intelligent than you? There are 140 million people in that range in the world.

quote:

I am a 24-year-old with an IQ of just 95. I feel depressed about it. What should I do?

quote:

How do high IQ people (130+) get to sleep with such an active mind?

quote:

What are the cons of being intelligent?

quote:

How can I improve my IQ more if my IQ is 270 currently?

quote:

Has it ever happened that a teacher only humiliated a student because that student possessed astounding amounts of talents and IQ?

quote:

What habits do people with high IQs exhibit?

quote:

How can I tell if I am intelligent or not?
When I was younger, I was identified as "gifted" and I have always had a high IQ, but I don't feel intelligent.
I ponder and contemplate ideas constantly, but always find more developed versions of my ideas online that make me feel silly.

quote:

I have a low performance IQ (90-105), yet I've been told my whole life that I'm very smart, including being offered high paying jobs in tech. How do I deal with the resulting cognitive dissonance?
I should add that I have a high verbal IQ (140ish). This makes me feel like a fraud - as if I'm a confident talker, but really quite slow.

quote:

If you have a very high IQ, why do some people immediately assume you are arrogant and treat you differently?
I often hear things like "When I heard you were really smart, I thought you were going to be arrogant. Now that I met you, you're not that way at all. You're actually a pretty cool guy."

It should be noted that I never tell people my IQ nor claim I am smart. People usually figure that out themselves. The problem is when they see me work on complicated tasks, and accomplish things in half the time as other people, it tends to get noticed, especially at work. I don't have to say anything. My work speaks for itself.

Even if I remain completely silent, that doesn't change how I was treated in school, or how some adults make assumptions based on the fact that they heard I am smart, or can see it from my works.

Also, most people who actually get to know me actually like me and think I am a sweet guy, and even comment on how humble I am. Yet some people jump to conclusions before they get to know me based on the fact that they heard I was smart. People often comment that they are surprised that I am not what they thought I would be.

(I only mentioned the "humble" part because people were assuming I was some arrogant jerk based on the question. Some of the initial answers actually prove my point that people judge before they got to know you.)

quote:

What kind of music do the most intelligent people listen to?
Is it more sophisticated than those of average intelligence? Or do their tastes breakdown along the same social demographics as everyone else? Are there any studies on this specifically?

quote:

Leonhard Euler: What is it like to read the original research papers by Leonhard Euler?
Additionally, are the print versions of collections of his work? Is it worth it as a means to acquire mathematical intuition to read his papers sequentially?

quote:

How do you boost your intelligence and become insanely creative, innovative and a logical thinker?

quote:

What are some of the best ways to become extremely smart?

quote:

What are things that can increase IQ dramatically?
one thing i know from Tim Roughgarden professor at stanford that learning Algorithms can increase IQ level and he experienced that .he said that at
Algorithms: Design and Analysis, Part 1 at coursera .

please don't answer if you didn't experience you answer .

quote:

What are some interesting tricks to read a person you just met?
You meet a new person. What are some interesting or nontrivial ways to read and evaluate their personality, motivations and weaknesses within 5 minutes in order to gain some leverage over them?
I am thinking of interesting body language cues or sneaky indirect questions.
"Tell me how to be Sherlock Holmes"

quote:

What are some unethical life hacks?
"Tell me how to be House"

quote:

Do intelligent people tend to hold off dating until later in their lives?
"I'm alone, validate me"

The strongest impression I get is that everyone watches rear end in a top hat TV geniuses and goes "I want to be a genius" and goes on Quora to try and figure out how to be that. It's like a weird cargo cult of intelligence.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A lot of those just make me feel sad for the people posting them. Like there's a bunch who are probably reasonably intelligent people but they're doubting themselves because they think IQ tests are worth anything

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Like why even lie about having an IQ of 270?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wow, some of those are great.

Boing posted:

Has it ever happened that a teacher only humiliated a student because that student possessed astounding amounts of talents and IQ?
"I don't get along with my teacher. Is it possible I'm just too handsome and intelligent?"

Boing posted:

It should be noted that I never tell people my IQ nor claim I am smart. People usually figure that out themselves. The problem is when they see me work on complicated tasks, and accomplish things in half the time as other people, it tends to get noticed, especially at work. I don't have to say anything. My work speaks for itself.

Even if I remain completely silent, that doesn't change how I was treated in school, or how some adults make assumptions based on the fact that they heard I am smart, or can see it from my works.

Also, most people who actually get to know me actually like me and think I am a sweet guy, and even comment on how humble I am.
"I don't get along with my coworkers, even though I am incredibly good at my job and very humble. Could it be that they're all just jealous of how great (and humble) I am? My mum always says I'm a very nice boy."

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Elderbean posted:

Responded to a image a friend posted about GMOs. He's a pretty reasonable dude, but one of his friends immediately started making GBS threads down my throat and accusing me of supporting MONSANTO.

I know it's probably hopeless, but is there a good set of articles about GMOs to use against these people?

I usually just bring up Norman Bourlaug. In the beginning GMOs were certainly needed and wanted. It's taken some bad turns with crop mixing, profiteering and legal rights to specific strains but feeding people who are starving isn't a bad thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kit Walker posted:

I think there's a category of bullshitters that just can't help but go large.

Same reason folks who "steal valor" are never like "Yeah I'm a hull technician" or "I'm in civil affairs" or whatever, they are always a Ranger-SEAL sniper with hundreds of confirmed kills.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
My IQ is 420bonerhitler.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

My dad works at Nintendo.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
My dad IS Nintendo!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ninten-dad.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Comment on an article about a drunk driver who killed a family and will likely be sentenced to 5-8 years in jail. The commenter's profile was public so I checked it out and she seems like a pretty normal person, nothing really crazy. But, she wants mob justice.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
It's doubtful many would give enough of a gently caress to dole out justice on someone they don't know, or the victims. And we all know the prison rule where every new inmate has to tell the entire prison what they're in for on day 1.

It's weird whenever these kind of things pop up, people want blood, hoping those other hardcore criminals with a Heart of Gold will do it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Perry Normal posted:

Comment on an article about a drunk driver who killed a family and will likely be sentenced to 5-8 years in jail. The commenter's profile was public so I checked it out and she seems like a pretty normal person, nothing really crazy. But, she wants mob justice.

I see these kind of things all the time. More often than not when mistreatment of animals is involved.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kit Walker posted:

Haha that's almost six standard deviations from the mean

None of these people know what IQ is, what it attempts to measure, or what problems may arise from describing "intelligence" with a single number. I'm hoping to the almighty that they're all awkward teenagers grasping for anything they can cling to during the turbulent years, and that they'll eventually grow out of it.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
When I was a kid I fell for one of those free online IQ tests that spits out a high score no matter how you answer to stroke your ego. Of course I realize now that it's just trying to get you to buy the "official" certificate to show off to your friends. I wonder how many of those people got their high IQ scores from similar tests.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Haha that's almost six standard deviations from the mean

Over 11 standard deviations, by definition :eng101: (:psy101:?)

quote:

Is high IQ a curse?
Potential problems:
unrealistic expectations of what you can accomplish
difficulty in dealing with average people
more likely to question things and annoy people in the process
less likely to accept traditions
less likely to enjoy the simple pleasures of life
less likely to find a job as an employee rewarding

Are these serious problems? What are other potential problems?

quote:

My psychometrician measured my I.Q. at 103 using the WAIS scale. I told him several times that he must have made an error. How do I make him realize the error of his ways?

quote:

What is the minimum IQ needed to do college algebra/calculus?

quote:

How do I make someone feel guilty for what they have done?
And they actually are guilty...

quote:

What are some good ways to insult an INTP?

Bonus question:

quote:

Is the IQ level of a 21-year-old person low if he watches cartoons like Naruto at that age?
Answer:

quote:

FIRST of all, Naruto is NOT a cartoon. It's an anime. A-N-I-M-E.
Remember the very first jutsu used in Naruto? Please go and check, I don't think that kinda thing is for kids.
In one word, the answer to this question is NO.
If you want a longer answer, ignore the people who keep telling that watching anime lowers IQ. You'll get it yourself.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Isn't Quora tailored to what you list as interests/what you view a lot? I mostly get politics and graphic design. :shrug:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Yeah, it learned that I was a psychologist from Facebook so that's probably why it floods me with all this stuff

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

hyperhazard posted:

Isn't Quora tailored to what you list as interests/what you view a lot? I mostly get politics and graphic design. :shrug:

I get 10 questions a day on whether the Nazi's could have won WWII. It's like Hitler invented time travel and is hunting for ideas.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Boing posted:

Over 11 standard deviations, by definition :eng101: (:psy101:?)

Look, my IQ is only 265. My highly-intelligent mind was distracted pondering, posting what my IQ is on the Internet, insulting MENSA, and watching anime.

Boing posted:

My psychometrician measured my I.Q. at 103 using the WAIS scale. I told him several times that he must have made an error

"THIS TEST I TOOK ON THE INTERNET SAID IT WAS WAY HIGHER! YOU'RE WRONG, TRAINED AND EDUCATED PROFESSIONAL USING LEGITIMATE TOOLS!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Neckbeard is now considered offensive
http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/02/neckbeard-cartoon/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Reasonable observations; insipid argument.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I dunno, I find myself agreeing with what that guy's saying. The autistic thing is something that I had never considered but it seems reasonable.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Teddybear posted:

There was a great political cartoon that someone made in absolute seriousness about Occupy Wall Street being a bunch of no-good hippies that revealed that the author had literally never seen anyone use a bong in the entirety of his existence. They were sucking on the valve by the water.

Has our society really become so degenerate that not knowing how to do drugs is considered a "bad" thing now?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Has our society really become so degenerate that not knowing how to do drugs is considered a "bad" thing now?

The issue is not "knowing how to do drugs," it's "making high profile criticisms of a political opposition while knowing literally nothing about them aside from a misinformed version of the worst caricature as a way of eliding their legitimate grievances."

Bonus: "society ... degenerate" is a stupid way to put things.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ein cooler Typ posted:

No grandpa, I think you're missing the point.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CommonShore posted:

Reasonable observations; insipid argument.

Calling someone a neckbeard is poking fun at his or her weight: Okay, I can see that

It's also making fun of the fact that they can't get dates: Well, yes, but that's intentional

What if they're too poor to be able to afford a razor, that's classism: The water is getting lukewarm, buddy

People of any gender can look good with hair on their necks: Eh, you're losing me

It's a gendered insult, see above: Noep

You're also making fun of autistic people and everyone knows that's bad: Reach any farther and you'll be able to pluck the moon from the sky

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Calling someone a neckbeard is poking fun at his or her weight: Okay, I can see that

It's also making fun of the fact that they can't get dates: Well, yes, but that's intentional

What if they're too poor to be able to afford a razor, that's classism: The water is getting lukewarm, buddy

People of any gender can look good with hair on their necks: Eh, you're losing me

It's a gendered insult, see above: Noep

You're also making fun of autistic people and everyone knows that's bad: Reach any farther and you'll be able to pluck the moon from the sky

Yep - that's the "insipid argument" part. What is apt is the core observation that it's hypocritical for feminists to suggest that their opponents hold those opinions because they're too ugly to get pussy - "neckbeard" as a euphemism for "misogynist" is just a simple inversion of the "feminists and lesbians are just angry that they're too ugly to land a husband" line.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

While I understand the points it is making, and I can't find myself faulting the reasoning, you'll pry my classism and ableism from my cold, dead hands.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Isn't neckbeard an insult because originally it was targeting the guys who grew really lovely neckbeards in an attempt to seem really manly and intelligent? Which is why they always are shown with a gross fedora/trillby claiming they're a man's man and it's all the women around them who are stupid...like those dumb lovely "class versus swag" memes?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

If you're insulting someone's appearance in a conversation, you're past the point of having an intelligent, well thought-out discussion free of prejudices.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Boing posted:

Is there an Idiots on Quora thread? I foolishly signed up a year ago because I thought it'd be interesting, and now I receive stupid email summaries every week and I hate everyone on it.

That's just the stuff they think is worth sending out. Go to Quora and you'll find the thinnest crust of people answering actual technical questions and stuff perched precariously atop a thick mantle of morons using it to passive-aggresively blog with exceedingly specific questions, like "What's it like to have your mom not let you just eat a sandwich for dinner when you already said that's what you wanted?"

Then under that is the massive core, which is people, mostly in halting English, asking pathetic sex questions. Generally in the categories of "How to get American girlfriend," "How to increase penis power" and "How to trick people into accommodating foot fetish."

theironjef has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CommonShore posted:

"neckbeard" as a euphemism for "misogynist" is just a simple inversion of the "feminists and lesbians are just angry that they're too ugly to land a husband" line.
Except that the exact same insult carries different weight depending on the social standing of the group its aimed at and the whole context of the issue.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Isn't neckbeard an insult because originally it was targeting the guys who grew really lovely neckbeards in an attempt to seem really manly and intelligent?
Nah, it's about antisocial nerds who fail at basic grooming but expect to be respected anyway because they bought into the idea that caring about your appearance in any way makes you shallow and worthless (unless you're a woman, in which case sort yourself out).