Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

The trick that makes it good is taking the air superiority loadout and then luring the enemy cv into fighting your fighters above your cruiser/bb blob. He loses all his planes then you are free to drop bombs on his allies all game, and while you won't get too much in the way of massive direct damage, it does build up, I usually get 60k in fire damage in a fight.

Yeah if you have a Bogue and the other team has a T4 carrier, just chucklefuck all their planes with your fighters, you'll go through them like a hot knife into butter, it's absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

verbal enema posted:

idk if the dresden is good but its fun to play when im drunk because i can shoot a lot of poo poo a lot of times

The St. Louis is the one true 'play when drunk' ship, but it'll see low-tier aircraft carriers, and your weight of fire makes you a priority target and practically free xp for any dive/torpedo bomber squadron as you only have pop guns for AA.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 24, 2016

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And when you look at a ship from the class from above, they do look pretty compact for a battleship:

It's so cute. :3:

I wonder what it's hypothetical gimmick would be. 27kts would be a big step up for a T7 US BB. Maybe its small size would result in a lower detection radius. It's also allegedly better armored than the NC, so that might be a problem trying to squeeze it into T7.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TehKeen posted:

It's so cute. :3:

I wonder what it's hypothetical gimmick would be. 27kts would be a big step up for a T7 US BB. Maybe its small size would result in a lower detection radius. It's also allegedly better armored than the NC, so that might be a problem trying to squeeze it into T7.

It'll probably still be a T8 (if only so Wargaming can charge 60 and 75 bucks respectively for the packages), it'll just fire slower than the North Carolina, while packing the same guns. It'll have some pretty amazing AA for a T8 premium, though, and being 50 feet shorter means it'll be just that little bit harder to nail it with a broad-wedge torp spread. But yeah, that aerial view almost makes it look like it'll be about the size of a Warspite, but not quite (644ft x 91ft Warspite, 680ft x 108ft South Dakota).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 24, 2016

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I could really use a US premium BB right now :argh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The tier 8 premium could also be the other South Dakota, the 1920 version. 23 knots, 12x 16" guns, and saves the 1936 South Dakota for a second battleship branch.

Depends which of the two they want to be in the tree really, they're both tier 8s.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

demonR6 posted:

People are inherently idiots for the most part. Expect that anyone on your team will likely torp you, fire on you or use you are a buffer between an enemy ship while firing and launching torpedoes at you at the same time.

I've come to the conclusion that if you get hit by friendly torpedoes, it's always your own fault. Assume that every ship in the game is going to be aiming torpedoes right at you and plan accordingly.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Aesis posted:

I could really use a US premium BB right now :argh:

Hopefully it's good. The last one they gave us was pretty much only good for one thing:

:rolleyes:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

NTRabbit posted:

The tier 8 premium could also be the other South Dakota, the 1920 version. 23 knots, 12x 16" guns, and saves the 1936 South Dakota for a second battleship branch.

Depends which of the two they want to be in the tree really, they're both tier 8s.
Idk, they could do something like Tirpitz/Bismarck, making one a premium and the other regular.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How do you people play a tier8 ship and not get bored out of your minds, what am I missing here?

I truly want to enjoy this game because botes are fun, but I am really not into 30km sniper fests that only get worse because you face some goddamn Tier X CV.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
That's why people play lower tiers from time to time.

Katsukai
Aug 27, 2013

Archenteron posted:

Yeah if you have a Bogue and the other team has a T4 carrier, just chucklefuck all their planes with your fighters, you'll go through them like a hot knife into butter, it's absurd.

Bogue's whole existance is to remove fun

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've come to the conclusion that if you get hit by friendly torpedoes, it's always your own fault. Assume that every ship in the game is going to be aiming torpedoes right at you and plan accordingly.

Every terrible battle you've had, idiot captains sailing as far away from the battle and your team as possible, team damage from guns and torpedoes, ships with no situational awareness or object permanence, destroyers sailing to the wrong places and not spotting anything, while you and one other competent driver do your jobs but get overwhelmed, actually happened and got a lot of guys killed in real life

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 24, 2016

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Katsukai posted:

Bogue's whole existance is to remove fun

I have a pretty good win rate and performance on the bogue more so than other carriers, i ran the bomber set up though and always struck on same tier or lower warships as they all have universally crap AAA.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The South Dakota would fit better at T8, seeing as you pick up the 16"/45 Mk6s at T8 on the North Carolina. The only issue is that the South Dakota was technically the successor to the North Carolina, but the main difference seems to be that the South Dakota is ~50 feet shorter and had a smaller power plant/engine compartment than the NC. so maybe it'll have a slower RoF to make up for it. Either way, a premium T7+ North Carolina-equivalent strikes me as being a really good 'if you have the money' ship like the Tirpitz.

The Lo Yang is still pretty overpriced, though. I'll wait until they add it for doubloons or add a 'ship and slot only' package down the line.

And when you look at a ship from the class from above, they do look pretty compact for a battleship:

Yeah, I know. The Nevada's just my favorite.

For those who don't know, the Nevada was the only battleship to get underway at Pearl, taking six bombs and a torpedo before having to be beached--they were afraid that the Japanese would try to sink it in the harbor channel. It then went to Normandy, Southern France, Iwo, and Okinawa, the latter two while being fitted with a gun salvaged from the loving Arizona. It was then decided that it wasn't worth saving the ship after the war so they used it as an A-bomb test target. When I say "test target", I mean she was painted bright red and intended as the zero point. They missed a bit, but she was still 750 yards from the zero-point of a 23 kiloton bomb. And she STILL didn't sink.

Not even that badly damaged, considering. The Arkansas flipped the hell over. Nevada was then used as a gunnery target by Iowa and two other ships, and STILL didn't sink. They had to torpedo her.

USS Nevada. Real tough to kill.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I wonder how the interior looked after that nuclear test. Was it at all possible for a crew to survive it?

Hi btw, haven't tried Warships yet but I intend to soon!

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

BigglesSWE posted:

I wonder how the interior looked after that nuclear test. Was it at all possible for a crew to survive it?

Maybe for some somewhere in bowels of the ship in some kind of airtight room to die from radiation when they leave it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Hi btw, haven't tried Warships yet but I intend to soon!

They actually did test this with live caged animals within the ships at various locations. It turns out that metal is very good at resisting radiation, and once you were deep enough within the ship you were not particularly affected by radiation. USN SOP is that in the event of an incoming nuclear threat that you go to your maximum protective posture, by closing all hatches and accesses to the outside of the ship, then go to overpressurization mode on your ventilation system, making it so that if a hatch is opened, no air can enter the ship. Then you secure the crew deep within the ship near the centerline and below the waterline if possible, so getting into the engineering spaces was your best chance.

During this whole event you would be using the ship's Countermeasure Wash Down System, which activates a bunch of salt-water sprinklers all over the outside of the ship, to prevent nuclear fallout from sticking to the ship. Of course the outside skin of the ship would be unbearably radioactive, but theoretically the crew could survive with minimal casualties, the ship would be worthless for battle afterwards but even surviving without sinking would be an achievement.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Another day, another mod breaking micropatch, more time spent on vanilla waiting for Aslains to catch up

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 24, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
So I've just reached a fully upgraded Ibuki (ie nearly 250k XP left before Zao so months of play) and so far I've found the ship very nice. Noticably better than the Mogami which I played a lot pre-nerf. Yet I often hear many complaints about the Ibuki, so for those who have actually played both it and the Zao, what is the problem with Ibuki and what is the big deal with the Zao compared to it?

BTW I have a Yamato and found the complaints about the Izumo puzzling too. Note I haven't played beyond T6 on the corresponding USN lines.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

kaesarsosei posted:

So I've just reached a fully upgraded Ibuki (ie nearly 250k XP left before Zao so months of play) and so far I've found the ship very nice. Noticably better than the Mogami which I played a lot pre-nerf. Yet I often hear many complaints about the Ibuki, so for those who have actually played both it and the Zao, what is the problem with Ibuki and what is the big deal with the Zao compared to it?

BTW I have a Yamato and found the complaints about the Izumo puzzling too. Note I haven't played beyond T6 on the corresponding USN lines.

Maybe I won't skip the Ibuki. I was planning on free xp'ing past it but after the Mogami nerf, I might free xp the rest of the way on the Mogami and just play the Ibuki instead. I've also considered wallet warrioring all the way to Zao, but want to get the concealment expert on my IJN captain first since everything I read the Zao needs it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

kaesarsosei posted:

The problem with the Ibuki used to be that you had the great first real IJN cruiser at tier 6 Aoba, the excellent tier 7 Myoko, the hilarious machine gun fire 155mm Mogami at 8 (still my highest XP per battle ship) and then the amazing Zao at tier 10. The Ibuki was just a little "meh" at tier 9, playing like an uptiered Myoko or Atago with no real other benefit. Fast forward to now, and its a better ship with the heal and the nerf to the Mogami. I don't think you need to skip it, its just not a tier 9 keeper like the Iowa or Fletcher.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

During this whole event you would be using the ship's Countermeasure Wash Down System, which activates a bunch of salt-water sprinklers all over the outside of the ship, to prevent nuclear fallout from sticking to the ship. Of course the outside skin of the ship would be unbearably radioactive, but theoretically the crew could survive with minimal casualties, the ship would be worthless for battle afterwards but even surviving without sinking would be an achievement.

The surviving ship doesn't necessarily need to be at 100% capability, just capable enough to complete one last mission and get home safely. The idea behind NBC attacks is that you can make an area off-limits to the enemy by making any travel a suicide mission.
NBC preparedness sends a message of "Don't even try, it's not worth the effort, we'll sail straight through a cloud of radioactive sarin gas and still gently caress you up"

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Which of the premium boats are any good?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The surviving ship doesn't necessarily need to be at 100% capability, just capable enough to complete one last mission and get home safely. The idea behind NBC attacks is that you can make an area off-limits to the enemy by making any travel a suicide mission.
NBC preparedness sends a message of "Don't even try, it's not worth the effort, we'll sail straight through a cloud of radioactive sarin gas and still gently caress you up"

From my time in the navy the general feel you get about the NBC stuff is "Don't really think about it, because if it happens, there's gonna be a whole lot of medals and flags handed to grieving widows and flag-draped caskets". It's just a wholly unpleasant thing to think about tbh.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Tsurupettan posted:

Which of the premium boats are any good?

Murmansk, Atago, Tirpitz, Anshan would be my picks.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Błyskawica is good too.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I don't know which is more infuriating: A 2-fighter Bogue loadout or a player who has chosen to use the 0-fighter Bogue loadout and ignore his ships' goddamned bullshit fighters advantage

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

wdarkk posted:

Błyskawica is good too.

Yeah, dunno how I forgot it. It's one of my fav. ships.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Archenteron posted:

I don't know which is more infuriating: A 2-fighter Bogue loadout or a player who has chosen to use the 0-fighter Bogue loadout and ignore his ships' goddamned bullshit fighters advantage

I did pretty well with a bomber Bogue? It's not quite the bullshit sky clearing masterpiece, but just being able to throw a shitton of explosives at ships with crap AA can more than make up for it.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

saihttam posted:

Murmansk, Atago, Tirpitz, Anshan would be my picks.

What about the kamikaze? I am mostly playing Japanese ships so that one looked interesting.

Atago is a wee bit expensive.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Warspite.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BadLlama posted:

Warspite.

^^ I like Warspite a lot.

It has very slow turrets, but it's also over-gunned for it's tier, since you're packing 15" guns while other T6 BBs are still using 14"s. It's also fast (Well, for a BB) and very tough.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pretty sure none of the premiums you can/could buy are actually bad. Kamikaze is more or less a premium Minekaze, if you liked the Minekaze then you have your answer.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

my dad posted:

I did pretty well with a bomber Bogue? It's not quite the bullshit sky clearing masterpiece, but just being able to throw a shitton of explosives at ships with crap AA can more than make up for it.

The problem with strike bogue is that if you lose a squad (because you don't have fighters to protect your bombers, argh), you... don't exactly have much in reserve. God forbid you blunder into a T6 match. At least with fighters, you're not compelled to fly into hostile AA and only suffer attrition from spotting DDs, being dumb, or actually dogfighting enemy planes.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Well my first carrier match went pretty poorly since apparently the enemy had twice as many fighters than I do and once they knocked out my fighters, my understrength second fighter squad couldn't do poo poo.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The real issue I have with people running strike config US carriers until tier 8(?) is that by not having any fighter squadrons you're entirely ceding what goes on in the air to the other team. If their carrier is running fighter squadrons and is competent, they can mostly(or likely completely if they're running 2+ squadrons) shut you down in the air while still doing damage with their own attack squadrons. Your effectiveness entirely depends on the opponent either being another US carrier that took strike loadout, it being a 2 CV per side game and the other friendly having them, or your opposite number screwing up.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hazdoc posted:

The problem with strike bogue is that if you lose a squad (because you don't have fighters to protect your bombers, argh), you... don't exactly have much in reserve. God forbid you blunder into a T6 match. At least with fighters, you're not compelled to fly into hostile AA and only suffer attrition from spotting DDs, being dumb, or actually dogfighting enemy planes.

Yeah, it requires a weird mix of being cowardly and completely berserk with your aircraft. I try to get the (sloooooooow) CV as close to the fight as possible, and lurk not too far from the enemy fleet with my bombers. As soon as I see see that the enemy fighters are too far away to react on time, I drop everything I have on the nearest ship. I almost always run out of aircraft by the end of the match, sometimes even by the middle, but this can do so much damage very quickly that it's possible to decisively change the course of the game.

Then you expose yourself to the enemy and let them waste shells/bombs/torpedos on a useless ship. :v: Even better if an air superiority carrier decides to waste what little bombing capacity it has on trying to sink you.

Lord Koth posted:

The real issue I have with people running strike config US carriers until tier 8(?) is that by not having any fighter squadrons you're entirely ceding what goes on in the air to the other team. If their carrier is running fighter squadrons and is competent, they can mostly(or likely completely if they're running 2+ squadrons) shut you down in the air while still doing damage with their own attack squadrons. Your effectiveness entirely depends on the opponent either being another US carrier that took strike loadout, it being a 2 CV per side game and the other friendly having them, or your opposite number screwing up.

The trick that saves strike carriers is that enough damage done quickly enough can have a major effect on the course of the battle. Sure, you'll lose the air war, and the enemy will spend the rest of the game plinking away at your ships and possibly being able to find your DDs, but if you managed to kill a few ships before you ran out of aircraft, you've saved your team from all the damage those ships would have been inflicting for the duration of the game.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Had a match on Trap today where half my team's cruisers and all the battleships except mine literally hid behind an island and did gently caress-all for the entire match. Not sure whether it was griefing or just a new low in pubbie cowardice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Sperglord Actual posted:

Had a match on Trap today where half my team's cruisers and all the battleships except mine literally hid behind an island and did gently caress-all for the entire match. Not sure whether it was griefing or just a new low in pubbie cowardice.
Typical pubbie cowardice tbh.