Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

jackofarcades posted:

Yep. I think at this point the path to the nomination for Rubio is literally just getting it at the convention. I mean, Trump could collapse somehow but I don't see it happening. What would actually stop Trump voters from voting for him?

At this point Trump needs to collapse on his own, I doubt very much after last night that Rubio has any appetite whatsoever for a bloody fight that would leave him paralyzed going up to Hilldog, assuming there would still be a republican party left at that point.

Of course Rubio might flat out be done already because gently caress knows what he is doing with his campaign right now if he actually expects to win. VP/breakdown seem like the most likely candidates right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I hope trump skips the next debate

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

the trump tutelage posted:

That's exactly how he'll attack Hillary -- "I was one of those big money donors. I know how the system works. I know how politicians are bought and sold. I know how Hillary was bought and sold."

I don't think that is going to play as well in the general election as it does now. At best he is going to prove to be equally as corrupt as Hillary. With Wall Street in particular, Trump is not going to be able to claim to be their adversary in the way Bernie can. If Trump and Hillary engage in a war on each others character, they will both lose. Again, it works for Bernie because he is one of the few genuinely decent people in Washington, but it won't work as well for the guy who boasts about being the other half of the corruption equation.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Final five baby! Final five!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Fun tidbit: RNC Rule 40 states that in order to be placed in nomination on the first ballot, a candidate must win a majority of delegates in at least eight states.

So, Marco's 3-5-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2 strategy might run into a bit of a snag there. It will be interesting to see what the RNC would do if, say, Trump doesn't have enough delegates to win on the first ballot outright, but also is the only candidate who can be put into nomination under Rule 40, which would then trigger a lot of state party rules binding delegates to the only candidate put in nomination.

Of course, the RNC Rules Committee can change this rule at the convention, if they want.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

TyrantWD posted:

I don't think that is going to play as well in the general election as it does now. At best he is going to prove to be equally as corrupt as Hillary. With Wall Street in particular, Trump is not going to be able to claim to be their adversary in the way Bernie can. If Trump and Hillary engage in a war on each others character, they will both lose. Again, it works for Bernie because he is one of the few genuinely decent people in Washington, but it won't work as well for the guy who boasts about being the other half of the corruption equation.

Trump has been quoted as saying "I hope it gets nasty, it's more fun that way right?" He's hoping to make a spectacle of any sort of fight dragged out with Hillary, and he's daring her to come down to his level.

My guess is he doesn't care how bad it gets, so long as it reveals just how low she's willing to go to win the presidency. I suspect he has some wild maneuver in store that'll kickflip the narrative in his favor.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Fun tidbit: RNC Rule 40 states that in order to be placed in nomination on the first ballot, a candidate must win a majority of delegates in at least eight states.

So, Marco's 3-5-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2 strategy might run into a bit of a snag there. It will be interesting to see what the RNC would do if, say, Trump doesn't have enough delegates to win on the first ballot outright, but also is the only candidate who can be put into nomination under Rule 40, which would then trigger a lot of state party rules binding delegates to the only candidate put in nomination.

Of course, the RNC Rules Committee can change this rule at the convention, if they want.

What do you see as the most likely overall outcome now, Trump getting screwed at the convention?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Which I'm sure Trump and his supporters would welcome as all just part of the process...

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Joementum posted:

How does this even happen? Cruz would have to start winning a majority of states? That seems..... unlikely

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
The party would be over at that point, Rubio would have to be a loving moron to agree to that plan as well.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

TyrantWD posted:

Trump has destroyed republican politicians, among republican primary voters for being corporate shills. Among uninformed general election voters, Trump is going to destroy Hillary on her Wall St ties and support for the Iraq war. John Q. Uninformed-voter is going to unironically love the fact that Trump can say he's never taken bribes from corporate interests or voted in favor of financial sector backed bills that screws middle and lower class Americans. I'm not saying Trump will come away unscathed, Hillary has plenty of ammo to use against him, but this issue isn't it. I agree that it would flop against Bernie.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

I saw this live and he kept trying to talk about Trump University and the media needing to fill its role in highlighting Trump's history. Joe kept telling him that Trump supporters do not care, it's already been covered in depth and they still do not care. Bob did not seem to grasp that point at all.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
The RNC wanted the early states to not matter as much in the grand scheme - even now Trump only has 1 qualifying state under Rule 40. The rule was changed from 5 states to 8 to let a candidate limp through the proportional states but win the WTA/WTM states later that allow them to get big delegate chunks and also qualify under Rule 40.

If you believe sites like CTH the whole framework was put in place to have tons of vote splitters in the race so Jeb could end up winning the nomination with ~20-25% support. The plan was set up in 2013-14 and didn't expect someone like Trump flipping the script and using the plan against them.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

nachos posted:

How does this even happen? Cruz would have to start winning a majority of states? That seems..... unlikely

Yeah, all scenarios aside from one candidate getting to the convention with a majority of pledged delegates are very unlikely, but fun!

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Forums Terrorist posted:

lol i thought you hated political correctness

I dislike the fact that "racist, sexist, bigot" are used to shut down legitimate discussions about things such as illegal immigration.

I don't support using sexist and racist language.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Doesn't the GOP go to winner-take-all at one point too?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Alter Ego posted:

Only in a few states. A number more are similar to SC in that they're winner-take-most and a good proportional victory will see almost all the delegates go to that candidate. A LOT of them are "if you get 50% of the vote, you get everything, else it's proportional".

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The Saurus posted:

I dislike the fact that "racist, sexist, bigot" are used to shut down legitimate discussions about things such as illegal immigration.

I don't support using sexist and racist language.

You don't have to use racist terms to sound racist, champ.

Seriously, you sound like Freepers who think that because they don't use the n-word, they're not racist.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

WTA primaries/caucuses include

Marianas Islands (9)
Wisconsin (42)
Delaware (16)
Maryland (38)
Indiana (57)
California (172)
Florida (99)
Ohio (66)
Arizona (58)
Nebraska (36)
Montana (27)
New Jersey (51)
South Dakota (29)

Other states like IL PA and CT have either the district delegates or the at-large delegates as WTA, and most proportional states have a 50-85% WTA threshold.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the second post he quoted I made before the first, and the reason I am convinced he's a racist is that when he found out my wife was an immigrant he immediately called her a whore. I really do try to take people seriously, even people with whom I disagree, but The Saurus is a nasty little creep and if he can't even try to be decent I don't know why I should bother with him.

I'm sorry that you're so disgusted by women who work as sex workers that the mere joking implication that your wife is one (which wasn't actually what I was saying) made you rage the gently caress out.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slate Action posted:

What do you see as the most likely overall outcome now, Trump getting screwed at the convention?

If the Republican establishment tries to screw Trump, he'll turn around and launch a third-party run faster than you can say "President Hillary Clinton".

No, they're stuck with him, and they have no choice but to fall in line.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Glenn Beck is salty as hell this morning. Ranting about how Breitbart is Goebbeles and how Trump crashed his speech.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Mukaikubo posted:

(For the record, those 538 paths-to-the-nomination have Trump needing to win only 2 outright, Cruz needing 8, and Rubio needing 4. Again, Cruz isn't making that.)

At this point you have to assume that Cruz is only running in the hope that he secures enough delegates to be the deciding factor at the convention between Trump and Rubio, and that those delegates will let him negotiate for the VP nom or whatever it is that he wants second to the presidency.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Trump has been quoted as saying "I hope it gets nasty, it's more fun that way right?" He's hoping to make a spectacle of any sort of fight dragged out with Hillary, and he's daring her to come down to his level.

My guess is he doesn't care how bad it gets, so long as it reveals just how low she's willing to go to win the presidency. I suspect he has some wild maneuver in store that'll kickflip the narrative in his favor.

A really dirty, and personal general election fight is probably what Hillary is best suited for. Rubio is best suited to beating Hillary, and Trump would be the strongest against Bernie.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Sex workers should not be discriminated against, shilldog lawyers for walmart, however...

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

http://www.redstate.com/leon_h_wolf/2016/02/24/trump-wins-nevada.-rubio-cruz-settle-nothing./

quote:

And so we hurtle on towards the oblivion of Trump because the partisans of the various candidates who recognize Trump for the unfunny joke that he is refuse to let go of their delusions – delusions so massive that they are only eclipsed by the delusions of the candidates themselves.

Every drat election conservatives do this, letting the perfect be the enemy of the good, squabbling over allegiances to candidates who have no shot but who we want to see do well because we believe in helping to elevate their profile – meanwhile, a more moderate candidate gets rammed down our neck while we’re all backbiting and infighting.

Stupid party.

Only this time, the stakes are not conservative vs. moderate, they are conservative versus catastrophically incompetent fake Republican buffoon and possible Hillary Clinton stalking horse who will likely end the party as we know it and send the country into decades of Democrat rule.

We’ve got one shot at preventing total meltdown, and that’s an agreement to select a single candidate as soon as possible after Super Tuesday, and to ride that horse, even if it’s not our favorite horse, against Donald Trump. The candidates have one more week to make their case and then it’s time to start acting like adults, before the children take over for good.

:coolspot:

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

DaveWoo posted:

If the Republican establishment tries to screw Trump, he'll turn around and launch a third-party run faster than you can say "President Hillary Clinton".

No, they're stuck with him, and they have no choice but to fall in line.

It also assumes they have someone who is willing to put up with Trump, someone who has effortlessly destroyed campaigns left and right, going complete scorched earth on them. Who in their loving right mind would sign up for that right now? Half the party is terrified of him at this point.

Trump would have absolutely nothing to lose, I can't even imagine how dirty it would get.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

squidgee posted:

At this point you have to assume that Cruz is only running in the hope that he secures enough delegates to be the deciding factor at the convention between Trump and Rubio, and that those delegates will let him negotiate for the VP nom or whatever it is that he wants second to the presidency.

Cruz holding Rubio's nomination hostage would be delicious, and especially if we end up with a Rubio/Cruz ticket with a grumpy Trump having lost the nom with like 48% of the delegates. It will be a bloodbath.

Or Rubio has to publicly declare Cruz will be his nomination to the SCOTUS to replace Scalia!

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
a lone man smiles as the titanic is splitting in half . "Captain Rubio will get us of this." water is flooding his cabin , up to his neck. "Marco ...polo" as he drowns

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Saurus posted:

I'm sorry that you're so disgusted by women who work as sex workers that the mere joking implication that your wife is one (which wasn't actually what I was saying) made you rage the gently caress out.

lol that you're so upset about this. also for everyone else in the thread make sure to read this, it's the_saurus.txt https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749894 that's his wife btw

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Antti posted:

Cruz holding Rubio's nomination hostage would be delicious, and especially if we end up with a Rubio/Cruz ticket with a grumpy Trump having lost the nom with like 48% of the delegates. It will be a bloodbath.

there would be an actual riot if that happens

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nwarikoo/status/702373024188788737
politics is so delicious

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Montasque posted:

Glenn Beck is salty as hell this morning. Ranting about how Breitbart is Goebbeles and how Trump crashed his speech.

God drat it you've dragged me down the rabbit hole on this. Next I'm going to actually learn when the different morons are on the air.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i still don't think you should say things like that, it's needlessly personal. if the Saurus called me a dumb libtard shill I'd be all :shrug: but insulting someone who isn't here to defend themself and hasn't done anything to you is too far.

Huh, thanks. I appreciate that. And since you were nice I will apologise for the FMJ video I posted in reference. It was just meant to be a lighthearted joke because you said she was from a country the US had propped up because they were terrified of communists and it was the first thing that popped into my head. I didn't mean to upset or offend you.

e: You really shouldn't call sex workers whores though dude.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 24, 2016

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

/pol/ must be delighted that they assume this is the campaigns doing

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Amanda Carpenter, former Cruz campaign spokeswoman, tells CNN that Cruz has to stop saying the same old poo poo, and he should stop using labels no one cares anymore like "evangelical."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iMGSvTJp84

rear end cobra posted:

God drat it you've dragged me down the rabbit hole on this. Next I'm going to actually learn when the different morons are on the air.

My God what have I done?

Montasque fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 24, 2016

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Has trump even campaigned in texas yet?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Saurus posted:

e: You really shouldn't call sex workers whores though dude.

Maybe you shouldn't use 'whore' as an insult, dude.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

lol that you're so upset about this. also for everyone else in the thread make sure to read this, it's the_saurus.txt https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749894 that's his wife btw

Hey at least he doesn't have 1000 posts in the GBS GamerGate thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Has trump even campaigned in texas yet?

he has had multiple rallies there and has one planned for this Friday in Fort Worth

• Locked thread