Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

field balm posted:

Having said that, anyone know a shop in Brisbane Australia that will give me cash? I dont mind taking like 2/3 of the value if its fast.

Good luck with that. You're lucky to get 50% in my experience, especially cash. Your best bet is like a GP or something but I can't imagine there's a ton of them around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

rabidsquid posted:

Five color Mystical Teachings, look at some Pauper 8post decks from the past to get an idea.

Thanks for that, I checked both out but I think in a singleton format there's just not going to be much consistency (I suppose that's the point) and I'm not sure how the deck would sit without four-ofs. Mystical Teachings definitely seems like a good choice as a single card though, especially since I'm considering running a UR goodstuff/burn deck at this point.

field balm posted:

Yeah this one of the places I went. Rude staffer and basically 0 stock, no odea why they bother.

It's a real shame when that happens. Town Hall and Chatswood in Sydney both have excellent staff and great stock. Central is pretty good too, but the regulars can be a bit more competitive, and just a little more standoffish in general. Across those three stores, the staff are all pretty brilliant.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

anglachel posted:

Actually the original art had each of the Warchiefs wear their Colors Mox (I guess to explain the cost reduction they provided). It was still generic as gently caress though.

I never noticed this before. :aaa:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

anglachel posted:

Actually the original art had each of the Warchiefs wear their Colors Mox

:vince: how did i not notice that?!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

anglachel posted:

Actually the original art had each of the Warchiefs wear their Colors Mox (I guess to explain the cost reduction they provided). It was still generic as gently caress though.

:holymoley:

Was that ever in an Arcana or anything, because that seems like the sort of thing they'd do there but I can't remember ever having seen it

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Gridlocked posted:

Really surprised they never got reported to WotC for running rare redrafts at what should be sanctioned events like FNM. This was like 3-4 years ago mind so maybe they changed.

Rare redrafts can be sanctioned. The rares are considered "tournament materials" and if a player leaves a tournament with them, even if they drop, they can be disqualified. There is a huge gap between what the WPN tells stores they can or can't do and what judges are told can or can't be done at tournaments.

The problem is that Wizards is unwilling to put themselves in the middle of the relationship between players and their clients because they are afraid to expose themselves to potential legal ramifications, not the least of which are taxes and regulation as a sport or, heaven forbid, gambling. It feels like judges needs to have a bit of a savior complex in order to justify the sort of hoops they jump through in order to have a non-lovely local scene or fair compensation.

You can be a great, friendly, by the book judge and suffer because TOs either don't know or don't care what the MTR or IPG says. I saw a good working relationship between a TO and one of the most personable judges in the region fall apart because there was a new player at FNM who potentially cheated. The judge investigated and decided it was unintentional, but suggested to the TO that a DQ was a very real possibility if that sort of thing happened in the future. The TO didn't want to lose potential new customers (or new Magic players for that matter) and said he wouldn't have let him enter the DQ even though the judge was in as head judge at the event.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Emerson Cod posted:

Rare redrafts can be sanctioned. The rares are considered "tournament materials" and if a player leaves a tournament with them, even if they drop, they can be disqualified. There is a huge gap between what the WPN tells stores they can or can't do and what judges are told can or can't be done at tournaments.

This is in fact quite wrong. This is from section 2.10 of the Magic Tournament Rules:

"Players who drop during limited events own the cards that they correctly have in their possession at that time. This includes any unopened or partially drafted boosters."

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Emerson Cod posted:

The problem is that Wizards is unwilling to put themselves in the middle of the relationship between players and their clients because they are afraid to expose themselves to potential legal ramifications, not the least of which are taxes and regulation as a sport or, heaven forbid, gambling. It feels like judges needs to have a bit of a savior complex in order to justify the sort of hoops they jump through in order to have a non-lovely local scene or fair compensation.

You can be a great, friendly, by the book judge and suffer because TOs either don't know or don't care what the MTR or IPG says. I saw a good working relationship between a TO and one of the most personable judges in the region fall apart because there was a new player at FNM who potentially cheated. The judge investigated and decided it was unintentional, but suggested to the TO that a DQ was a very real possibility if that sort of thing happened in the future. The TO didn't want to lose potential new customers (or new Magic players for that matter) and said he wouldn't have let him enter the DQ even though the judge was in as head judge at the event.

That's awful but not really surprising; I can see that most TOs and store-owners would prefer to keep business interests over enforcing the rules on a local level.

I'm really disgusted at that rare redraft thing. It is something that is sooooo easy to abuse. The number of times my mate would tell me about how they had this "great" draft where PersonName won with this awesome deck; and PersonName2 came 2nd and both of them are GP players AND store employees who share a collection and then took all the money/playables for them selves and left the bulks for the guys who lost was disgusting. It's like they are raking in the money form the drafters, not letting them take and keep cards that could be worth something to cash in for store credit but rather telling them if they want good prizes they have to win AND THEN having really experienced people play against FNM goers for the easy way to scoop up the good rares that do appear.

I'm honestly not surprised my friend liked it though cause he was a) buddy buddy with a bunch of those guys and b) was willing to vomit money at the shop because it made him popular with said guys.

Brownhat posted:

This is in fact quite wrong. This is from section 2.10 of the Magic Tournament Rules:

"Players who drop during limited events own the cards that they correctly have in their possession at that time. This includes any unopened or partially drafted boosters."

Yeah this is what I was remember as per this blog post http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2013/07/tournament-tuesday-dropping-after-opening-limited-product/.

I'm sure this has been answered before but: what happens if you say open a Oath pack with an expedition and a nice rare in pack 2 and want do drop to secure those cards for yourself? Do you just throw up the hand; call for a judge and say you wish to drop taking your drafted cards, your unopened BFZ pack and your opened pack of Oath with you? What happens to your draft spot then? Do people carry on and just end up with an extra card each?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 24, 2016

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Good luck with that. You're lucky to get 50% in my experience, especially cash. Your best bet is like a GP or something but I can't imagine there's a ton of them around you.

Yeah I figured really, which is why I was not that surprised that shops apparently offering cash were not. I shifted a bunch of stuff locally pretty easily but struggling to shift the last few hundred bucks of value (a set of aether vials payed for 2 nice dinners with my partner and a few cartos of cheap beer, amazing).

If Good Games had better stock I might have traded a bit in and got some board games or something, but meh. After hearing about the redrafting poo poo I wont be going there to draft ever!

Any point in buying boosters with credit and selling those instead, or would that be harder again?

field balm fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 24, 2016

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Brownhat posted:

But what defines correctly being in their possession? Basic lands are part of tournament materials - if a player refuses to return their lands that could be considered stealing tournament materials. If a store, at the beginning of the tournament states that all rares and mythic rares opened during the draft are part of the prize support and effectively tournament materials, there's nothing in the MTR that can prevent them from doing that. That's exactly what a sanctioned rare redraft is.

We can say that's stretching the definition, but Wizards isn't likely to step in and make a clear statement one way or another. That's the problem - they let stores and judges and players point fingers at each other where they can clear things up with a single, clear statement. We've seen more than enough of that over the past couple of months.

EDIT: And that article is exactly what the problem is. Wizards isn't going to make a real ruling on it so they rely on the player who decided to drop getting properly shunned by their peers. Great way to run organized play. Why expose the company to risk when the angry mob can sort things out just fine?

Emerson Cod fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 24, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Do you mean buying boosters with credit, opening them then selling them or selling them as unopened product cause that will be getting you a poo poo return. You'd be better off e-baying your cards away.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

I'm sure this has been answered before but: what happens if you say open a Oath pack with an expedition and a nice rare in pack 2 and want do drop to secure those cards for yourself? Do you just throw up the hand; call for a judge and say you wish to drop taking your drafted cards, your unopened BFZ pack and your opened pack of Oath with you? What happens to your draft spot then? Do people carry on and just end up with an extra card each?

Pretty much. They shouldn't end up with any extra cards, since you're taking those 45 cards (including basic lands) with you.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Do you mean buying boosters with credit, opening them then selling them or selling them as unopened product cause that will be getting you a poo poo return. You'd be better off e-baying your cards away.

I meant selling the boosters, but thanks. EBay is my next port of call!

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Emerson Cod posted:

But what defines correctly being in their possession? Basic lands are part of tournament materials - if a player refuses to return their lands that could be considered stealing tournament materials. If a store, at the beginning of the tournament states that all rares and mythic rares opened during the draft are part of the prize support and effectively tournament materials, there's nothing in the MTR that can prevent them from doing that. That's exactly what a sanctioned rare redraft is.

We can say that's stretching the definition, but Wizards isn't likely to step in and make a clear statement one way or another. That's the problem - they let stores and judges and players point fingers at each other where they can clear things up with a single, clear statement. We've seen more than enough of that over the past couple of months.

EDIT: And that article is exactly what the problem is. Wizards isn't going to make a real ruling on it so they rely on the player who decided to drop getting properly shunned by their peers. Great way to run organized play. Why expose the company to risk when the angry mob can sort things out just fine?

There is a section in 7.2 that specifically states that TOs can require the basic lands they provide to be returned. There is no such rule in the MTR about drafted rares. You own any cards you draft, and any cards/boosters given to you as part of a limited event. Rare redraft isn't enforceable in the structure of the tournament rules.

EDIT: There is no legal or rules based way to force somebody to hand over their rares after a draft. In fact, the section I quoted from 2.10 specifically prevents them from declaring rares tournament materials.

Brownhat fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 24, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Gridlocked posted:

Some stores will let you buy the pack for yourself and give you a replacement to draft with. This is probably the best solution for everyone involved, since it both lets you keep the cards you cracked and lets the tournament continue properly.

The tournament rules allow but do not require judges to let you do this:

quote:

7.4 Abnormal Product
Neither Wizards of the Coast nor the Tournament Organizer guarantee any specific distribution of card rarities or
frequency in a particular booster pack or tournament pack. If a player receives an unconventional distribution of
rarities or frequencies in a particular booster pack or tournament pack, he or she must call a judge. The final
decision to replace or allow the atypical product is at the discretion of the Head Judge and the Tournament
Organizer.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Some stores will let you buy the pack for yourself and give you a replacement to draft with. This is probably the best solution for everyone involved, since it both lets you keep the cards you cracked and lets the tournament continue properly.

The tournament rules allow but do not require judges to let you do this:

That's not relevant to the subject. A pack with an expedition is not "abnormal".

Some stores let you rebuy a pack in those cases, but you are also allowed to take that pack, and any other drafted cards and unopened packs and drop.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Emerson Cod posted:

But what defines correctly being in their possession?

Correctly in your possession: you drafted it and it's in your card pool.
Not correctly in your possession: you grabbed your opponent's deck and ran for the door.

I hope that helps clear up your philosophical question of whether we can ever be truly said to have the cards we have, man

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Traditional Games > Magic: The Gathering: I hope that helps clear up your philosophical question of whether we can ever be truly said to have the cards we have, man

Yeah, probably too long to be the thread title.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The only reason some places let you buy a new pack when you open something nuts that you don't want to pass is to keep you from dropping and making the draft lopsided.

It has nothing to do with abnormal packs. Abnormal packs are poo poo like packs with no Rares (guy at my LGS opened a Fat Pack and one of his packs actually had no Rare :lol:).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Don't forget JOU God packs.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Brownhat posted:

That's not relevant to the subject. A pack with an expedition is not "abnormal".

And if you're the head judge, you're free to make that call. If someone else is the head judge, they're free to make the opposite call.

"Abnormal" is intentionally left undefined in the tournament rules to leave it up to the judge's discretion. Packs with expeditions have a different rarity distribution than other packs and contain cards that officially aren't even part of the set being drafted; it's hardly unreasonable to view them as abnormal.

Brownhat posted:

Some stores let you rebuy a pack in those cases

...and the Abnormal Product rule is what lets them do that.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 24, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Shortest Path posted:

Don't forget JOU God packs.

Our store made people draft them, and wouldn't let people drop. I argued until I was blue in the face that they can't do that.

I don't think I ever drafted JOU so I didn't care but it was still pretty dumb.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

And if you're the head judge, you're free to make that call. If someone else is the head judge, they're free to make the opposite call.

"Abnormal" is intentionally left undefined in the tournament rules to leave it up to the judge's discretion. Packs with expeditions have a different rarity distribution than other packs and contain cards that officially aren't even part of the set being drafted; it's hardly unreasonable to view them as abnormal.

...and the Abnormal Product rule is what lets them do that.

You should really read 7.4 again.

Also, replacing a pack because you opened cash isn't actually supported by the rules. At Competitive REL your choices are to drop and take the money or pick a card and pass.

Also, you're specifically allowed to play with expeditions you draft, so that's a huge stretch.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Is this poo poo on the bingo card?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I can tell you guys really hate rare redraft since you spend pages slapfighting over the minutiae of the possible ways to "sanction" a redraft

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

A big flaming stink posted:

I can tell you guys really hate rare redraft since you spend pages slapfighting over the minutiae of the possible ways to "sanction" a redraft

Keep me updated, OP

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

suicidesteve posted:

Our store made people draft them, and wouldn't let people drop. I argued until I was blue in the face that they can't do that.

I don't think I ever drafted JOU so I didn't care but it was still pretty dumb.

I would have just drafted the pack if the store was insistent on it It's not like any of the Gods were ultra valuable, but it would have made the draft fun as hell to have a bunch of people trying to draft around them. I'd take a picture of it and then slam Thassa :shrug:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I started out at a rare redrafting place and didn't mind it. Losing money cards was a bitter pill to swallow at first but I chalked it up as the cost of getting better at the game. I don't think there's anything blatantly unethical about it, it's just a different style of play. Honestly sometimes it's refreshing. Making card evaluations crowds up enough headspace as it is. I don't need to add "Is this card worth a lot of money on the secondary market" to all the other factors like "Is this card worth splashing or pivoting for"/"What does this pack indicate about which colors are open"/etc.

Compare and contrast with the crowd that showed up for MM15 at a different store and literally checked every card on their phone, then dropped and left with the money cards before the event started.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

anglachel posted:

I thought they were the Tempest medallions. If they are moxes that's much cooler.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I thought they were the Tempest medallions. If they are moxes that's much cooler.

Fact: Power makes everything better.

Play Vintage Today!

Oh god I sound like Randy Buhler. I just love power guys wow. Did you know if you play a Black Lotus on turn 1 you can go off and win?! AMAZING!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It doesn't have the same impact without his insanely unbearable voice.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

They're not either, they're just generic gems

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

gonadic io posted:

It doesn't have the same impact without his insanely unbearable voice.

Sif not read it in his voice.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This rules lawyering re: rare redrafting is some Freeman on the Land level poo poo. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the magic/bitcoin link

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Continuing Pauper chat from before, I went and built myself a U/R Prowess-But-Better deck with 4 each of Delvers, Kiln Fiends, and Nivix Cyclopes. The Gitaxian Probes were the most expensive part of the build, but I got the rest of the cards for a song and had the most fun I've had playing Magic in months. Gitaxian Probe into Gitaxian Probe into Ponder into Bolt into Slip Through Space into Mutagenic Growth into oops I just did like 40 damage

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

To clear things up, per Toby Elliot you absolutely can sanction a rare-redraft tournament. It just isn't "realistically enforceable" because any store that tries to stop players from dropping and keeping their opens will lose their WPN.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Oh man, the Chris Rush episode of Maro's podcast... :smith:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Announcing Conspiracy: The Empty Throne!

Set NameConspiracy: The Empty Throne
Number of Cards 221 220

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BizarroAzrael posted:

Number of Cards 221 220

OK I like the marketing for this set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Number of Cards 221 220

I hope they just keep changing the set name and number of cards every time a thing happens

• Locked thread