Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

:derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
New Page, new rules. :kamina:

:havlat:There's going to be a Pokémon specific Nintendo Direct this Friday. :havlat:

The timing is as follows
UK: 15:00
Europe: 16:00
US (East Coast): 10:00
US (West Coast): 07:00
Japan: 00:00

GET HYPE

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean you could also link the tweet...

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/702463689471864832

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's 5 minutes long according to various places.

Just enough for someone to come out, say "It's been 20 years, here's all these past games, and now the next game." A 30 second to a minute trailer will play with a launch window, then done.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dehry posted:

Just enough for someone to come out, say "It's been 20 years, here's all these past games, and now the next game." A 30 second to a minute trailer will play with a launch window, then done.

And said game will be... *drumroll*

Pokémon Shuffle 2 for Android.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
It's just five minutes of unedited footage of a level 5 weedle taking out Lance's Dragonite, which then fades away to "Pokemon Red Blue Yellow. GET HYPE".

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
This is it guys, it's finally coming. I can feel it.

Pokemon Snap 2

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Pokemon 360. Banjo Kazooie and Pikachu ragtag adventures.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Christo posted:

This is it guys, it's finally coming. I can feel it.

Pokemon Snap 2

I can't believe neither the 3DS nor the Wii U got a Snap 2. I mean, they have special doodads that'd make it perfect for the game.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Dehry posted:

Man what the hell sources are you talking about. It's going to be an hour long and announce the release dates for Z, Go, Gen VII, the Pokemon MMO, and the localization of Detective Pikachu starring Danny Devito

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Just give me a trailer for Z, including Mega evolutions of the Kalos starters and I'm happy

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I really think they'll do something big for Z as both a delayed product and the anniversary. What are the odds of an unprecedented Gen 6.5?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Geostomp posted:

I really think they'll do something big for Z as both a delayed product and the anniversary. What are the odds of an unprecedented Gen 6.5?

What does that mean? New pokemon? New mechanics? ORAS already added like 15 pokemon if you count evolutions.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Maybe a return to Kanto.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Amppelix posted:

ORAS already added like 15 pokemon if you count evolutions.
21 new mons, in fact.

1. Hoopa Unbound
2. Primal Groudon
3. Primal Kyogre
4. Mega Rayquaza
5. Mega Beedrill
6. Mega Pidgeot
7. Mega Slowbro
8. Mega Steelix
9. Mega Sceptile
10. Mega Swampert
11. Mega Sableye
12. Mega Sharpedo
13. Mega Camerupt
14. Mega Altaria
15. Mega Glalie
16. Mega Salamence
17. Mega Metagross
18. Mega Latias
19. Mega Latios
20. Mega Lopunny
21. Mega Gallade
22. Mega Audino
21. Mega Diancie

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Please, please, please be Pokemon Z.

I need my fix man

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

A quick direct to demonstrate how wireless trading and battling works in the Pokemon R/B/Y VC releases

with an exciting surprise announcement! they will be distributing Mew to all R/B/Y players sometime in march

and we close with a trailer for Pokken Tournament

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pokemon zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Is steel type considered balanced? I caught this Cobaltlion pokemon and it's resistant to pretty much everything it comes up against. I checked the type chart and it's resistant to 12 out of 17 types. What's the downside?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

CJ posted:

Is steel type considered balanced? I caught this Cobaltlion pokemon and it's resistant to pretty much everything it comes up against. I checked the type chart and it's resistant to 12 out of 17 types. What's the downside?

it was the best defensive type in the game and one of the worst offensive ones

they made it neutral to ghost and dark in gen 6 and it is still one of the best defensive types

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

I'm pretty excited for the Direct Friday, but I keep seeing that it's only 5 minutes long. None of the official sources state a length at all. Where are people getting this information? :psyduck:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ziddar posted:

I'm pretty excited for the Direct Friday, but I keep seeing that it's only 5 minutes long. None of the official sources state a length at all. Where are people getting this information? :psyduck:

Nintendo's Japan twitter has 5 minutes on it.

"5分ほどの短い映像ですが、ご興味のある方はご覧ください。"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CJ posted:

It's weak to ground and fighting which are really really good offensive types.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Alxprit posted:

Nintendo's Japan twitter has 5 minutes on it.

"5分ほどの短い映像ですが、ご興味のある方はご覧ください。"

So it does! I must've glossed over it when I went looking. Odd that it's the only one that mentioned how long it is; none of the other regional Nintendo or Pokemon twitters bring it up

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

CJ posted:

IMO it's not balanced enough, it's one of the best types a mon can have. Steel and Dragon have the highest ratio of high-tiered mons of all the types. They're the opposite of Ice, which is (with very few exceptions) the worst type a mon can have and has the highest ratio of low-tiered mons of all the types.

In SSB4 terms, Steel is Sheik and Ice is Zelda.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It should be five minutes dedicated to Mega-Raichu and how great he is.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's a five minute anime short of professor oak explaining that raichu is actually mega dedenne

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CJ posted:

You'll soon learn that type balance is a sad joke in this series.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nah, Ice actually has some good offensive typing.

Ice is more like the Lucina to Fairy's Marth.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Nah, if you want to go that route then Fairy is Mario (A tier) and Ice is Dr. Mario.

quote:

[SSB4] Dr. Mario is ranked 45th out of 56 on the tier list, placing him at the bottom of G tier and thus making him the lowest ranked low-tier character. This is a vast drop from his 11th out of 26 ranking in Melee, where he was ranked higher than his normal counterpart in that same game.

(That vast drop is one of the saddest things about SSB4 to me, since I love Dr. Mario.)

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nah, Ice actually has some good offensive typing.

Ice is more like the Lucina to Fairy's Marth.

Ice's usefulness as an offensive type is a little lost when you consider that many other pokemon can learn ice attacks, especially water types, without the defensive trade off. I mean, sure getting STAB on an ice move is nice, but not nice enough to justify getting knocked out so easily IMO.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
What does that make SSB4 Roy?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

which one

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

which one

Koopa

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Dabir posted:

It's weak to ground and fighting which are really really good offensive types.

What do you mean by this? That they are common moves because they aren't resisted by much, or that there happens to be some really good moves that are of this type, or that all moves of that type have a hidden modifier that is higher than other types?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

CJ posted:

What do you mean by this? That they are common moves because they aren't resisted by much, or that there happens to be some really good moves that are of this type, or that all moves of that type have a hidden modifier that is higher than other types?

That there are a lot of mons with good offensive stats and high powered moves in the type. Both Ground and Fighting have a lot of physical sweepers, and Earthquake is a very common and powerful move.

In other news, wow, Self-Destruct must have gotten a serious nerf in Gen VI. My Gardevior barely even took a third a bar of damage from a self-destructing Electrode on ORAS' Victory Road.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ground does double damage against 5 types (Electric, Steel, Rock, Fire and Poison), nothing against Flying-types and is only resisted by Bug and Grass.

Fighting does double damage against 5 types as well (Dark, Ice, Normal, Rock and Steel), but nothing against Ghost-types and is resisted by Bug, Fairy, Poison, Flying and Psychic.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

oddium posted:

which one

Fire Emblem Roy to continue your metaphor. Marth's attack have tippering, lucinas don't, and Roy deals more damage at the base of the blade in addition to having one hell of a neutral B.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

less laughter posted:

Ground does double damage against 5 types (Electric, Steel, Rock, Fire and Poison), nothing against Flying-types and is only resisted by Bug and Grass.

Fighting does double damage against 5 types as well (Dark, Ice, Normal, Rock and Steel), but nothing against Ghost-types and is resisted by Bug, Fairy, Poison, Flying and Psychic.

Yeah i noticed that i've run into problems with ground pokemon. They usually have rock type moves to gently caress up my Crobat too.

Another question, is it possible to hypothetically gently caress u pa pokemon's move set? TMs seem to be unlimited use now so that covers a lot of moves, and i remember running into a guy who said he could reteach pokemon moves they had forgotten but does that cover all of them? Is it possible to get yourself into a situation where you have a max level pokemon and realise you need to bin it and start again because you overwrote a move early on? I doubt it matters when playing through the story but they have all this bullshit with breeding and natures and EVs and IVs i'm just curious if they accounted for forgotten moves or if they expect you to research it ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

hopeandjoy posted:

In other news, wow, Self-Destruct must have gotten a serious nerf in Gen VI. My Gardevior barely even took a third a bar of damage from a self-destructing Electrode on ORAS' Victory Road.

It got nerfed in Gen V. It used to halve defense on top of having 300 power, now it doesn't.

• Locked thread