Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the crossed out 221 made me laugh, nice bit of unexpected comedy from a set announcement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Announcing Conspiracy: The Empty Throne!

Set NameConspiracy: The Empty Throne
Number of Cards 221 220

This is the cleverest promotion they've done in a while and I hope they keep it going.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

OK I like the marketing for this set.

Chamale posted:

This is the cleverest promotion they've done in a while and I hope they keep it going.

Yeah, I have almost zero interest in Conspiracy, and loving the promotion so far.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
They should have changed the lead designer as well

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

"I'll go to Innistrad and find Sorin" - Jace

Is it too much to ask to have just one Jace-free set I swear to god

That smug telepathic shitbeard better not show up in Conspiracy

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

^ But Conspiracy is the perfect place to reprint JTMS!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

They should have changed the lead designer as well

I think you mean the Main designer

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 24, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

A magic set without Jace would be like an avengers movie without Tony Stark

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

A magic set without Jace would be like an avengers movie without Tony Stark

Good? :smuggo:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The writing is so bad, but I like Chandra:

quote:

"What have you done?" bellowed the spirit dragon. A blast of heat washed over Jace, Ugin's internal fires stoked by anger.

Despite Jace's protestations, Zendikari soldiers clustered around Ugin. They bristled at his furious tone, pikes and swords out. Ugin didn't seem to notice them, which was probably an accurate estimation of their ability to harm him.

"We saved Zendikar," said Nissa.

"What have you done?" asked Chandra. "Lately, I mean?"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Despite Jace's [disapproval, objections, complaints, fussing, being a gently caress boi - ahhh!] protestations

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

The writing is so bad, but I like Chandra:

She's using a piece of Ulamog's skull as a chair and I find that hilarious.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Why do they write this stuff? I've never met a single person who likes Jace or cares about any of this poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Why do they write this stuff? I've never met a single person who likes Jace or cares about any of this poo poo.

Branding. The story also dictates card design now, enjoy.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Hasbro, Inc. /ˈhæzbroʊ/ (formerly Hassenfeld Brothers and Hasbro Bradley) is an American worldwide toy and board game company. It is one of the largest toy makers in the world. The corporate headquarters is located in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.

Sickening posted:

I actually think that's a good thing - there have been a lot of incidents, some in recent memory (Emmara Tandris?) where design completely flubbed the handling of a story character. The story's not that important, but the cards should, at the very least, reasonably depict the characters on them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Uncharted Realms: Magic Story

quote:

The setting sun glinted redly off a shirtless Gideon Jura’s hairless chest. Red, too, was the glow in Chandra Nalaar’s eyes, though it seemed a little brighter than one would expect from a sunset alone, even on Zendikar, the magical plane with a special kind of mana where the newly-formed Gatewatch, a super-cool team of four planeswalkers, had just defeated the unimaginably fearsome Eldrazi.

“Way to go, Gideon,” said the fire mage (Chandra), resting her staff on a blackened tree stump. “Way to go everyone. At last the multiverse is free of the Eldrazi and I can get back to what I do best – makin’ peppy wisecracks and settin’ stuff on fire!”

Jace Beleren smiled enigmatically. “It is so,” intoned his enigmatic voice. “I realised that there was one thing those plane-devouring beings from the blind eternities hadn’t reckoned on, and that was a team made up of a master telepath, a powerful pyromancer, a mighty soldier, and an elf.” The enigmatic mage smiled again, giving his face a somewhat enigmatic air.

“Iffaith,” agreed Gideon, his muscles rippling where his shirt (or jacket etc) would have been if he was wearing one. “The bards of Zendikar will sing of our deeds for many moons. In time, mayhap, it will be we who are mistaken for gods.”

“And goddesses,” he added ruminatively, his granite brow furrowing and his burly chest muscles moving as one would expect. “I do confess, ’tis passing strange that there should have been two women on our team. One is the usual number, in sooth.”

Chandra Nalaar rolled her reddish-glowing eyes. “Zip it, Giddy. Those rules don’t apply here. The only tokens this multiverse needs are 3/1 elementals.”

Nissa coughed slightly. Jace gave her an enigmatic look.

Ever restless, Chandra stood and stretched herself, as if to planeswalk away in search of her next adventure and a new permutation of direct damage, looting and casting spells for free. She smiled and turned for a parting remark. “You know what’s funny, though? When I cast that final spell to flambé those Eldrazi guys for good?”

Gideon smiled shirtlessly at the memory. Jace’s enigmatic visage took on an aspect of enigmatic curiosity as Chandra winked a fiery eye at each companion in turn.

“I never had time to learn that spell properly, so I just sharpied FALL OF THE TITANS on a Magmatic Chasm. And those world-eating goombas will never know!” As she laughed her carefree, convention defying laugh, she didn’t notice that Nissa’s face, always somewhat ghostly, had turned a shade paler. Veins bulged visibly in Gideon’s neck, abdomen and left biceps, while Jace, ever the enigma, merely looked into the enigmatic distance. Quietly at first, a very low rumble began. A rumble that seemed to stir the bowels of the very plane of Zendikar. The rumble grew louder. Nissa turned colorless.

The Gatewatch’s second challenge was approaching sooner than anyone had expected. And this time, even the combined awesome powers of the four happening and diverse mages would not be enough. They needed to recruit… a sexy necromancer.

Actual story:

* Gideon wanders around the Ally Encampment going for his new custom: a morning jog without his armor (I swear I am not making this up). He shirtlessly ruminates upon all that happened and is like "gently caress yeah we rule." Tazri catches up to him and is like "good job Gideon" and they run together for a while. Tazri's like "with all the people leaving, we're gonna be alone here in a couple of days." Gideon is too dense to get that she's saying she wants to gently caress, so he's like "yeah I bet haha" and then Tazri's all sad because Gideon's planning to bounce.

* Chandra's sitting on an uncomfortable chair (they tell you this about a billion times). She's using her pyromancy powers to heat up soup and survey her fellow Planeswalkers. She's hot for Gideon (but she always was) and she's already bosom buddies with Nissa, but Jace is straight up staring off into the distance brooding because he's Jace. They keep going around this chair thing a lot and it turns out to be Ulamog's skull and it turns out that Chandra's paralyzed (temporarily) for using all the world's power to fuel the spell that killed Kozilek and Ulamog.

* Jace is brooding about poo poo and he straight up starts bemoaning the fact that he's a charisma black hole which isn't nearly as cool as Gideon. This happens.

* Ugin shows up and he's a huge dick. He gets mad at Jace and listens to the Gatewatch explain all the poo poo that happened, but Ugin isn't having it and he's mad because he wanted to study the Eldrazi and discover their purpose. He didn't actually have an idea something bad would happen if you killed them; he was literally just making that poo poo up. Jace is like "tell me what you know" but Ugin is a dick and refuses and tells Jace he sucks. Jace lists the remaining threats for the gatewatch: Nicol Bolas, Emrakul (who Ugin confirms left the plane entirely), Ob Nixilis and finding Sorin for whatever reason. Jace confirms he is heading for Innistrad to find Sorin.

* Nissa wanders around the glyph marvelling at how awesome she is and thinking about trees and poo poo. Chandra walks up with her Ulamog's Skull Cane and they have a Girlz Moment where Nissa's like "but I cannot possibly leave Zendikar" and Chandra goes "well you don't have to" but then gives the Uncle Ben speech about power and responsibility and Nissa instantly changes her mind because it would be too hard for her to leave her friend Chandra behind, despite the fact she met Chandra 2 chapters ago.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Doesn't he have a desk job in Ravnica keeping the guilds from destroying each other? What happened to that?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ojetor posted:

Doesn't he have a desk job in Ravnica keeping the guilds from destroying each other? What happened to that?

I'm guessing we will get an interstitial chapter with that. Last we saw Liliana was hanging around Ravnica for reasons also.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Liliana, Interim Office Coordinator

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Ciprian Maricon posted:

beats me

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I know people who really like Jace specifically because they don't read any lore poo poo or notice flavor text and instead see him a purely functional series of Magic cards. Whenever you say "Jace is loving awful" the response you get is "No Jace is awesome cause my favorite deck ever was this one control build..."

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Angry Grimace posted:

* Ugin shows up and he's a huge dick. He gets mad at Jace and listens to the Gatewatch explain all the poo poo that happened, but Ugin isn't having it and he's mad because he wanted to study the Eldrazi and discover their purpose. He didn't actually have an idea something bad would happen if you killed them; he was literally just making that poo poo up. Jace is like "tell me what you know" but Ugin is a dick and refuses and tells Jace he sucks. Jace lists the remaining threats for the gatewatch: Nicol Bolas, Emrakul (who Ugin confirms left the plane entirely), Ob Nixilis and finding Sorin for whatever reason. Jace confirms he is heading for Innistrad to find Sorin.

No way. Did they really just retcon the only thing that could redeem the BFZ's writing?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Ugin is like "ugh, you mortals wouldn't understand, but in 10,000 years they're going to come back and be so mad"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
You left out the part where Chandra uses her magic to make heated blankets for everyone :3:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
He basically says "You have no idea what the consequences might be. I don't either, but they could happen a long rear end time from now after all you non-dragon idiots are all dead."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Archenteron posted:

He basically says "You have no idea what the consequences might be. I don't either, but they could happen a long rear end time from now after all you non-dragon idiots are all dead."

Yea which is a pretty valid stance really.

"Hey it's easy for you fucks to do this when you'll be generations dead when the backlash comes but I may have to still handle this poo poo, so maybe I wanna be more pragmatic than you."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

* Chandra's sitting on an uncomfortable chair (they tell you this about a billion times). She's using her pyromancy powers to heat up soup and survey her fellow Planeswalkers. She's hot for Gideon (but she always was) and she's already bosom buddies with Nissa, but Jace is straight up staring off into the distance brooding because he's Jace. They keep going around this chair thing a lot and it turns out to be Ulamog's skull and it turns out that Chandra's paralyzed (temporarily) for using all the world's power to fuel the spell that killed Kozilek and Ulamog.

tbf they do say that chandra's uncomfortable chair is ulamog's skull which was kind of funny

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Problem: the bad guys are big, and powerful, and immortal, and multidimensional, and incomprehensible, and if killed will only come back more powerful

[spends seven years trying to find an answer]

Solution: the bad guys are actually none of those things, and instead are made of kindling

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Ugin is like "ugh, you mortals wouldn't understand, but in 10,000 years they're going to come back and be so mad"

for some reason i thought becoming a planeswalker leads to a much longer life. is that not true?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea which is a pretty valid stance really.

"Hey it's easy for you fucks to do this when you'll be generations dead when the backlash comes but I may have to still handle this poo poo, so maybe I wanna be more pragmatic than you."

Whether intentional or not, I thought it was a pretty ironic echo that Ugin tried to drop this bullshit logic given that when his foolproof Eldrazi trap failed, he happened to be dead at the time.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Problem: the bad guys are big, and powerful, and immortal, and multidimensional, and incomprehensible, and if killed will only come back more powerful

[spends seven years trying to find an answer]

Solution: the bad guys are actually none of those things, and instead are made of kindling

Didn't get theorized that just like the broods could be considered as individual cells from the Titan's projection on the plane, the Eldrazi Titans themselves could be cells of one overarching being?

edit: All the hate for the story on the cards aside, it was an unbelievable fuckup not to have Elspeth's death featured on a card, or referenced in any way, shape, or form until the set after theros block. Also that Taigam never got a loving card.

e2: Hah! I just got the callback of Ajani Steadfast to Ajani Vengeant. Now that's a cool way to show character growth.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 24, 2016

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

ptkfvk posted:

for some reason i thought becoming a planeswalker leads to a much longer life. is that not true?

that was part of the pre-Time Spiral godwalker package

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ugin is the only character in the story who i have any kind of sympathy for

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

Didn't get theorized that just like the broods could be considered as individual cells from the Titan's projection on the plane, the Eldrazi Titans themselves could be cells of one overarching being?

edit: All the hate for the story on the cards aside, it was an unbelievable fuckup not to have Elspeth's death featured on a card, or referenced in any way, shape, or form until the set after theros block. Also that Taigam never got a loving card.

They will end up going back to Tarkir sooner or later, and people have such short memories they will actually complain when fetchlands aren't in it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Angry Grimace posted:

Whether intentional or not, I thought it was a pretty ironic echo that Ugin tried to drop this bullshit logic given that when his foolproof Eldrazi trap failed, he happened to be dead at the time.

This is also true, no one ever said Ugin wasn't a hypocritical jerkwad about it, just saying it was a bit more valid of a point for the character to raise than just a total retcon.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

See: everything Liliana has done since losing old-walker status.

Speaking of, wasn't Nicol Bolas's bullshit during the Conflux a way to get back to old-walker status? How'd that go/is going?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

From what we know of SoI so far it doesn't look like killing the titans was a great idea.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Well, they were like actually immortal before werent' they?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

From what we know of SoI so far it doesn't look like killing the titans was a great idea.

THE MOON WAS EMRAKUL ALL ALONG.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sickening posted:

Nah they do lots of other stuff for that and its well executed. I'm not trying to complain that they are creating content for people other than me, they've done lots of good branding that way. For example they paid that PewDiePie guy to play Magic on youTube with famous nerds and even sent him to a Pro Tour. That's the kind of branding and outreach stuff that while not really enjoyable or interesting to me, I understandable is valuable and important to the company.

This stuff though is buried on their website, it requires a knowledge and familiarity with their IP that no newer player will have, and its just flat out really not executed well. I don't see how it fits into a strategy greater than "some guy at the office loves to write fanfiction"

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

We don't "know" anything at all relating SoI to the Eldrazi, that is all speculation based purely on the set name. Dragon's Maze didn't even have any dragons in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Structural Distortion seems like a pretty big hint.

• Locked thread