Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

And the 6 outlets powering those 6 lamps all have steel lock boxes around them so you can't unplug them, so if you didn't think to pack a hosed up adapter for the light sockets

have fun setting up your laptop in the bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

And the 6 outlets powering those 6 lamps all have steel lock boxes around them so you can't unplug them, so if you didn't think to pack a hosed up adapter for the light sockets

Isn't that where you're supposed to set it up, though? How else may one shitpost?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I really hate hotels who do this - also the ones where they put the desk on the wrong wall so you have to stretch the cord all the way to the other wall to plug it in.

Additionally, hotels that just plop the TV on a tiny desk with nowhere else to put it. So if you want to watch tv while you're on your laptop, I hope you have a small screen, and also like to watch tv from about 12 inches away.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Probably been posted before, but people who let their dogs off-leash in on-leash areas. No, I don't care that your dog is super friendly and just playing. My dog does not like overly boisterous large dogs and may bark and snap because he's scared by your dog jumping up on him. That is literally why I'm walking here in the on-leash area. And if you're screaming at your dog and it's blatantly ignoring you and not even turning its head, then it's by definition not under your control, and not well-trained enough to be off-leash anyway.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
:j: Wow these are good tacos
:colbert: MURDER tacos.
:j: What kind of pizza do you want? I'm gonna get pepperoni
:colbert: You mean MURDER pizza.
:j: I got this new purse, it's canvas and leather
:colbert: oh, a MURDER purse.

Nettles Coterie has a new favorite as of 07:21 on Mar 26, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nettles Coterie posted:

I get it, you don't eat meat, calm the gently caress down about it! Also, gently caress off, you eat FISH, do they somehow not count as murder but every other animal does? I hate idealistic vegetarians with inconsistent policies... if you're going to get up in my face about my personal eating habits, then sort your own out first. Either eating animals is completely wrong or it isn't, you can't pick and choose which animals you think are deserving of this apparently horrific immoral fate.
Vegans are all stupidly inconsistent. Find one vegan who avoids modern agricultural practices that kill animals. Unless they're a hermit living on food they grow themself in the wilderness, they're arbitrarily overlooking a whole lot of stuff. Veganism is bullshit.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

People who don't change the loving toilet paper roll. It's not that loving hard to take the old roll off the holder and put a new roll on. It's so annoying because inevitably I'll sit to have a pee and lo and behold the last person in there used the last of the toilet paper and now I have to either crabwalk to get some or drip dry.

I'll add "people that grab a new roll but balance it on the empty one on the spindle instead of just loving CHANGING THE THING ALREADY GODDAMN"

WHY :argh: it's 3 seconds of work you lazy dickhead

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Tiggum posted:

Vegans are all stupidly inconsistent. Find one vegan who avoids modern agricultural practices that kill animals. Unless they're a hermit living on food they grow themself in the wilderness, they're arbitrarily overlooking a whole lot of stuff. Veganism is bullshit.

I'm not a vegan but the "gotcha man they kill fieldmice harvesting grain" thing is kind of a pet peeve of mine. There's nothing logically inconsistent with someone saying "I try to do the bare minimum to avoid having animals get killed to sustain me without actually dying myself and still being able to live a life in society. Yes some animals have probably still died to sustain my life but I have taken an effort to minimize it by not eating their meat or byproducts and not wearing their skin." In an imperfect world choices need to be made that are less than ideologically perfect, its not some invalidation of the whole principal of vegetarianism to point out that animals get caught in wheat threshers.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

J Miracle posted:

principal of vegetarianism

I didn't even know that was a job. What's the salary like? Do they offer benefits? :v:

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
you get yelled at by Superintendent Vegan a lot

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
"Skinner!!!" makes so much more sense now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

J Miracle posted:

you get yelled at by Superintendent Vegan a lot

You mean MURDERintendant Vegan.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

J Miracle posted:

I'm not a vegan but the "gotcha man they kill fieldmice harvesting grain" thing is kind of a pet peeve of mine. There's nothing logically inconsistent with someone saying "I try to do the bare minimum to avoid having animals get killed to sustain me without actually dying myself and still being able to live a life in society. Yes some animals have probably still died to sustain my life but I have taken an effort to minimize it by not eating their meat or byproducts and not wearing their skin." In an imperfect world choices need to be made that are less than ideologically perfect, its not some invalidation of the whole principal of vegetarianism to point out that animals get caught in wheat threshers.

Thanks for explaining this more eloquently than I could. I hate the assumption that if you're not doing EVERYTHING to save a thing/fix a problem, that nothing is worth bothering. I can't save every shelter animal, but I have a ton of yarn and some extra time, and I can make them some blankets. Should I spend all my money on myself just because the $20 I give to an animal shelter isn't going to solve the problem of homeless pets? I recycle, reuse, and donate stuff wherever I can, drive a fuel efficient car, etc.--should I not bother with these things just because I have a hobby that uses a lot of jet fuel? I don't eat exclusively vegetarian, but am I not allowed to eat tofu just because I like it?

Goddamn, man, I'm not trying to be a loving saint over here, just minimizing harm as much as I can.

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Feb 24, 2016

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Thanks for explaining this more eloquently than I could. I hate the assumption that if you're not doing EVERYTHING to save a thing/fix a problem, that nothing is worth bothering. I can't save every shelter animal, but I have a ton of yarn and some extra time, and I can make them some blankets. Should I spend all my money on myself just because the $20 I give to an animal shelter isn't going to solve the problem of homeless pets? I recycle, reuse, and donate stuff wherever I can, drive a fuel efficient car, etc.--should I not bother with these things just because I have a hobby that uses a lot of jet fuel? I don't eat exclusively vegetarian, but am I not allowed to eat tofu just because I like it?

Goddamn, man, I'm not trying to be a loving saint over here, just minimizing harm as much as I can.

Harm reduction is the name of the game, however you define it. Pobody's Nerfect.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I didn't even know that was a job. What's the salary like? Do they offer benefits? :v:

What's the...celery like?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

People who walk around looking at their phones confuse the hell out of me. I don't mean at bar, or on the bus. I don't care about that. I mean people who literally walk around the sidewalks downtown staring at their phone. This morning, I was standing behind a girl who was scrolling through Twitter and Facebook, and when it was time to get off, she pressed her umbrella into the person ahead of her as a type of white cane and then kept staring at her phone for about a block. When I got to the crosswalk, she absent-mindedly bumped into me and then sort of floated about two feet into the road and then just stood there. Like, how is she still alive? Less dramatic versions of this end up blocking my path about five, six times a day. It's infuriating.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

People who finish off some kind of food or drink, but put the empty packet/bottle/whatever back in the fridge etc.

Put it in the bin! It's useless now, therefore it is garbage!

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008
I hate it when people walk down the sidewalk side-by-side, and slow as gently caress. It was especially bad in Japan and it wasn't until I left there that I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7oGk-ozhKI

I would love to have the balls to do this but I know it would never work in the US cause pedestrians here don't give a gently caress.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Just the other day I was walking up a narrow set of stairs when two people met me, coming down side by side and taking the whole space up. They looked at me as if they expected me to go back down to the bottom and let them by :psyduck:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Arrath posted:

Just the other day I was walking up a narrow set of stairs when two people met me, coming down side by side and taking the whole space up. They looked at me as if they expected me to go back down to the bottom and let them by :psyduck:

Ditto sidewalks. Like, there's only one of me and four of you. ONE of you can scoot back and make room for the one of me. You can get back to side-by-side with your friends in the five seconds it takes me to pass.

There's a narrow staircase right by my office, too. I don't tiptoe around, but I also don't clomp around like I'm trying to get mud off my boots. Yet every time I'm going up and someone's coming down, they turn the corner and act surprised that someone else is on the staircase too. I've taken to stomping up the stairs just so they'll hear me coming and not be surprised.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

It's especially irritating when they're coming at you in groups or pairs. I don't have the balls to just stand there either, I always step aside like a weiner.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

BuddyChrist posted:

I hate it when people walk down the sidewalk side-by-side, and slow as gently caress. It was especially bad in Japan and it wasn't until I left there that I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7oGk-ozhKI

I would love to have the balls to do this but I know it would never work in the US cause pedestrians here don't give a gently caress.

It's not that they wouldn't give a gently caress, it's the bikes just don't have bells. I can't tell you how many times some jackass blazed past me without even saying a word of warning. I'm not even wearing headphones, just loving say 'excuse me' so I can scoot over to the side!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Online shops that don't put items in the correct categories. I'm looking for a swimsuit, went to the "swimsuit" section, more than half the page is underwear. Why :argh:

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
My University is so bad for bikes with no bells. You get constantly bombarded with 'on your left!' said in an unfriendly tone instead. I should get a grant to buy a basket of bells and hurl them into their faces.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

cash crab posted:

It's especially irritating when they're coming at you in groups or pairs. I don't have the balls to just stand there either, I always step aside like a weiner.

You should try it. It's amazing. I got massively pissed off walking home from college on certain days because there were always these giant group of girls who would take up the entire sidewalk, forcing you to walk on the grass or the very edge of the concrete. One day I just squared up my shoulders and kept walking. The girl who walked into me bounced off me and staggered a foot or two back before falling over. They always look super offended too even though they saw you coming and did nothing about it.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

DavidAlltheTime posted:

My University is so bad for bikes with no bells.

Luckily every bike comes with a bell riding it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

People who constantly vocalize during movies. Hope you wanted to hear "oooh!!" every time someone dies in an action movie.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FAROOQ posted:

Luckily every bike comes with a bell riding it.

I think you mean "bellend"

Also chiming in on people who take up entire aisles/sidewalks like assholes. I don't even bother saying excuse me when they've locked eyes and realize I'm not moving - bitch, I'm walking on the right side and you and your stupid friends are taking up the entire aisle. Especially frustrating at stores because there's no easy way around them and gently caress walking an aisle over to go around because they're too stupid to be considerate. Don't even get me started on the idiots that block store aisles with carts while they decide what to buy or yak yak with some other jackass when I just want to get my poo poo and leave.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I sit in a cubicle. The door to my area is about 5 feet behind me - I have a partial wall between the door and myself, but I still get the foot traffic constantly, and it's annoying.
Worse is the 'meetings' in the hallway. 3 or 4 people will just congregate right outside the door and chat about whatever. We have 20+ rooms for this explicit purpose you jerks. Shut up and take your meeting elsewhere.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

You should try it. It's amazing. I got massively pissed off walking home from college on certain days because there were always these giant group of girls who would take up the entire sidewalk, forcing you to walk on the grass or the very edge of the concrete. One day I just squared up my shoulders and kept walking. The girl who walked into me bounced off me and staggered a foot or two back before falling over. They always look super offended too even though they saw you coming and did nothing about it.

Agreed. I just plow right through. People in my area are passive-aggressive so you don't really have to worry about any of them pulling out a Glock and blasting you away. They might look a little offended but in their face you can see the recognition that they didn't need the WHOLE sidewalk and should have moved over.

It does kinda bum me out when it's a couple, and the woman always ducks behind the man, while the man just stares at me like it's my job to get out of his way. I don't have the patience your wife has for your poo poo, bro, and after I blow past you, that's the end of our interactions together, and I don't mind throwing a little elbow or shoulder into you.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

cash crab posted:

People who walk around looking at their phones confuse the hell out of me. I don't mean at bar, or on the bus. I don't care about that. I mean people who literally walk around the sidewalks downtown staring at their phone. This morning, I was standing behind a girl who was scrolling through Twitter and Facebook, and when it was time to get off, she pressed her umbrella into the person ahead of her as a type of white cane and then kept staring at her phone for about a block. When I got to the crosswalk, she absent-mindedly bumped into me and then sort of floated about two feet into the road and then just stood there. Like, how is she still alive? Less dramatic versions of this end up blocking my path about five, six times a day. It's infuriating.

I was on the train recently, and there was a woman sitting across from me. For some reason she waited until her stop (which was also my stop) to pull out her phone and stop browsing, so she got up, started browsing, continued browsing as she languidly exited the train, and continued still as she shuffled up the steps out of the station. Her decision completely perplexed me.

I will never understand why it is absolutely necessary for anyone to travel up/down stairs while simultaneously browsing their phone. The most I'll do in that situation is turn up/down my Spotify, which doesn't require me to look down at all, and honestly I STILL wait because it's hardly an urgent matter.

cash crab posted:

I like plowing through those assholes. Sorry not sorry, I'm not getting dirt all over my $25 Target sneakers for you, your husband, your kids, or your dog. The sidewalk is for sharing.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
One I had at work recently - got a talking to by my manager because I didn't answer a call immediately while driving to work. I was about 5 minutes from the office so I let it go to VM.

Get in the office and almost immediately my boss is asking why I didn't pick up. My exact response was "I don't talk or text while driving. My dad got rear-ended on his motorcycle last year by someone on a cell. I've almost been hit several times by people texting and driving. My mom's car got t-boned a couple years ago in winter by an idiot on a cell phone." I got to work fixing the issue (was a minor thing but it was a client that treats EVERYTHING like it's on fire, even a password reset), talked to the client, and got another message from a manager in our sister office about the missed call.

Nope, gently caress you dude. If I can pull over somewhere safely and return the call, I'll do it. Otherwise, I'm not putting myself and others at risk being a dumb rear end in a top hat on my cell while driving, not even if there was a hazard bonus. There's a reason company cars in both of our offices have been in the shop for minor damage that the company was found at fault for because some dumbass engineer/manager was on the phone.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Antioch posted:

I sit in a cubicle. The door to my area is about 5 feet behind me - I have a partial wall between the door and myself, but I still get the foot traffic constantly, and it's annoying.
Worse is the 'meetings' in the hallway. 3 or 4 people will just congregate right outside the door and chat about whatever. We have 20+ rooms for this explicit purpose you jerks. Shut up and take your meeting elsewhere.

I'm in the same boat. People congregate outside my cube and often block off the entrance and sometimes even spill into my cube. There is a conference table literally 5 feet away.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Ozz81 posted:

I think you mean "bellend"

Jesus Christ you idiot

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

When you're telling someone about something and they feel like upping the ante by telling a story that's like yours but to the nth degree. gently caress you buddy, it's not a competition to see who had the worst day, ate the best food, etc.

EDIT: Also super-mega-ultra fans who find out you have a passing interest in their fandom, which affects all your interactions forever after.

I brought my Drake has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Feb 25, 2016

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

and often block off the entrance and

Why the hell do people feel the need to congregate right near doors? I get that once you go through you're officially leaving or parting ways or whatever, but come the gently caress on. Once the 1st or 2nd person has to squeeze by your little clique it's time to move out of the way or just go home.

I manage a small business and make trips to Costco for paper and toiletries about every other week. This group of customers last month blocked the god drat door while I was carrying in load after load of heavy boxes of poo poo and didn't even make a token effort to leave room for me. Every single time through the door it was "Excuse me" or "Sorry, can I get through here" and they would just stand there. I just wanted to scream at them Get The gently caress Out Of The Way!!!!! but of course they're customers and I try to treat them with whatever respect I can muster.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This happens on the bus a lot - they stand there, with room to move out of your way as you awkwardly push past them, but they just kind of stare at you. And they don't even move, either. You like, have to literally push them out of the way with your body to get to the doors, and they look kind of vaguely annoyed, and it's like...are you pod people?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This happens on the bus a lot - they stand there, with room to move out of your way as you awkwardly push past them, but they just kind of stare at you. And they don't even move, either. You like, have to literally push them out of the way with your body to get to the doors, and they look kind of vaguely annoyed, and it's like...are you pod people?

This bothers me a lot. It happens to me constantly and I kind it really ghoulish when people do that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The horrible fear after you submit to a new job posting that you hosed up somewhere and somehow the fact you input 2009 instead of 2008 will mean your resume gets killed. There is a new opening at work that, if I get it, will cut my commute by 40 minutes. I am desperate to get the spot. But of course even if I am the only internal applicant, they have to open it to everyone, and do interviews, and....last year this time a similar spot was opened. I applied, and after the interview, I was told I was too valuable to move because the boss needed me near his office to help be his assistant. His not paid-as-assistant manager assistant. So I lost the place. I just applied for the second one and am panicking because one section on the application asked about past car accidents or traffic incidents. It didn't say how far to go back. So I listed the 2 tickets I remember. And it was only after I got home that I realized I forgot to include the accident in a work vehicle, and I can't even remember what year it happened but within the past 5.

Stupid panic about work. And the loving hoops you have to jump through with applying for a position IN THE SAME drat COMPANY.

There is a Starbucks that just opened across the street from a slew of office buildings. There is no crosswalk linking the two. So every day there are mad walks, sprints, and gaggles of people checking their phones as they meander over five lanes of loving traffic, sometimes STOPPING IN THE loving ROAD, to get their coffee. And then the walk back. I see several of these assholes almost get hit every day, and they always flip off the drivers and scream, like the drivers are at fault. There is a crosswalk half a block down! Use it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm glad I'm not the only rear end in a top hat that'll adopt a thousand yard stare and lead with my shoulder when douchebags are taking up the entire goddamn sidewalk. It's more than wide enough for us all, now get off my side of it!