Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Newegg also tells you to gently caress off if you try to get them to RMA a GPU that's over 30 days old, so going through the place you order from isn't an option for something that really only starts to show signs of imminent death after a few months of sustained usage
You know, there's a huge difference between returning something to the retailer within 30 days and RMA'ing something to the OEM via the warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Josh Lyman posted:

You know, there's a huge difference between returning something to the retailer within 30 days and RMA'ing something to the OEM via the warranty.
There is, but someone previously acted like manufacturer warranty isn't important because you can/should return it to the retailer--which is semi-true if you live somewhere like the UK or Australia with crazy-long retailer return periods, but not for the US. So I'm not sure what your point here is: Sapphire's cards are decent, but their warranty support is iffy at best, regardless of where you buy it from. Kinda like most ASUS products, really.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

I enjoyed the actual test itself, it looked cool. Pushed the poo poo out everything though

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 23, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

HalloKitty posted:

XFX is now good and Sapphire is poo poo? It seems like the answer to that question hangs on whoever you ask that day.

I'd put Sapphire above XFX, for what it's worth.
For quite a few years Sapphire had much higher failure rates than other brands, but they seemed to close the gap last year and as of the latest stats from November 2015 are equal to other brands (French link).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Alereon posted:

For quite a few years Sapphire had much higher failure rates than other brands, but they seemed to close the gap last year and as of the latest stats from November 2015 are equal to other brands (French link).

I remember seeing that before, but wasn't it mostly a 7850 that skewed the figures?

Edit: the only really shocking thing about those current figures is that not only can you buy a PCI Geforce 610, but enough people bought them for it to show up in those return figures.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So I managed to sell my Titan X for $900. :toot: The nightmare is over :toot:

But now I have a computer running a 1440p Gsync monitor with just a 970. I mean, I could make it work until Pascal buuut...

I have two computers, the traditional tower running that 1440p monitor and a small consoley Raven RVZ02 that I have hooked into my 1080p television in the living room. I really like this setup, having another computer in the living room is much better than trying to use Steam's streaming feature which feels like something goes wrong 60% of the time. The RVZ02 has your typical i5 4690K and a GTX 950. The GTX 950 runs better than I expected, but I guess it's in the same place as the 970p on my 1440p monitor where I got to compromise and tweak the graphic settings quite a bit.

So, I have two ideas.

I can either:

1.) Buy another 970 right now and SLI it with my desktop computer, and my console computer will continue to run the 950 until Pascal comes out. Then I replace the SLI configuration with the Pascal card, put one of the 970s into the console computer, and sell the other one.

Or

2.) Buy a 980ti, put the 970 into the console and sell the 950, and when Pascal comes out I put a 980ti into the console computer and sell the 970.

Choice #2 sounds more tempting since both computers would be running with great GPUs for their resolution, but buying a $650 Maxwell card so close to Pascal seems a little foolish. But I'd imagine the 980ti in my console would make it last quite a while (or until I get a 4K Television.)

Choice #1 seems the most cost effective, since I can sell the Division code the upgrade would really be $270ish, but I don't know much about SLI and my living room PC will lagging behind for quite a while.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 24, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Mutant Standard posted:

But now I have a computer running a 1440p Gsync monitor with just a 970. I mean, I could make it work until Pascal buuut...

I have two computers, the traditional tower running that 1440p monitor and a small consoley Raven RVZ02 that I have hooked into my 1080p television in the living room. I really like this setup, having another computer in the living room is much better than trying to use Steam's streaming feature which feels like something goes wrong 60% of the time. The RVZ02 has your typical i5 4690K and a GTX 950. The GTX 950 runs better than I expected, but I guess it's in the same place as the 970p on my 1440p monitor where I got to compromise and tweak the graphic settings quite a bit.

So, I have two ideas.

I can either:

1.) Buy another 970 right now and SLI it with my desktop computer, and my console computer will continue to run the 950 until Pascal comes out. Then I replace the SLI configuration with the Pascal card, put one of the 970s into the console computer, and sell the other one.

Or

2.) Buy a 980ti, put the 970 into the console and sell the 950, and when Pascal comes out I put a 980ti into the console computer and sell the 970.

Choice #2 sounds more tempting since both computers would be running with great GPUs for their resolution, but buying a $650 Maxwell card so close to Pascal seems a little foolish. But I'd imagine the 980ti in my console would make it last quite a while (or until I get a 4K Television.)

Choice #1 seems the most cost effective, since I can sell the Division code the upgrade would really be $270ish, but I don't know much about SLI and my living room PC will lagging behind for quite a while.

I feel you on the Pascal / Polaris release but frankly since you will be using the 980ti anyways I wouldn't mind choice 2 in this scenario since you will be keeping one maxwell card and selling one 970 either way. In the end you will have two very capable machines. If it fits in your budget there are worse ways to spend money on GPU's even close to a release. And even though I'm pro-SLI, I don't see it being worth the trouble for Maxwell if you can avoid it.

I happen to have that case and a 980ti in it and it works great.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Has anybody been able to fix issues with a stuck P2 P-State in a GeForce GTX 970? I have an MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G and I know somebody with an MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 100ME and both cards have the same issue where the P-State gets stuck and the core clock drops to sub 1000 MHz speeds.

The only way I've discovered to temporarily "fix" the issue is the disable/enable the driver in Device Manager.

I discovered my card had this problem when I ran the Steam VR test and it came back as "Capable". Once I fix it and it goes into the P0 state, I get full clocks and get a "Ready" status.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mutant Standard posted:

So, I have two ideas.

I can either:

Or

Dont sli 970's. used 980ti's are in the $550 range, hell you can get new from jet.com in that price often.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Dont sli 970's. used 980ti's are in the $550 range, hell you can get new from jet.com in that price often.

Also, AAA developers are putting less emphasis on supporting SLI.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dual cards is a mistake in general. You're always running a more expensive setup and sometimes getting more performance. Even CF, which has been doing some ludicrously good scaling of late isn't as good as a single card.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Well okay then.

So what's a good 980ti card? Wasn't it the MSI G6 Gaming that was out performing the Titan X with it's stock overclock? Or was that the G1 Gaming from Gigabyte?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The MSI card is good if you have a case that has some side airflow. If you just have front to back hot air can get stuck and recycled.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Ashes of the Singularity released a new beta and a new beta means new benchmarks.

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-02/...-extreme-preset

Will AMD's commitment to asynchronous compute engines in their cards give them an advantage in this upcoming generation?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mutant Standard posted:

Well okay then.

So what's a good 980ti card? Wasn't it the MSI G6 Gaming that was out performing the Titan X with it's stock overclock? Or was that the G1 Gaming from Gigabyte?

The MSI Gaming 6G and the Gigabyte G1 are all quite good but pretty much any good non-reference 980 Ti can be OCed to outperform the Titan X.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The MSI Gaming 6G and the Gigabyte G1 are all quite good but pretty much any good non-reference 980 Ti can be OCed to outperform the Titan X.

Really depends on the titan X. I could run mine at 1450 on water, probably higher on a custom loop and clock for clock a Titan X is faster than a 980t. Not all 980ti's hit 1500mhz. My msi wont hit it unless im on my custom loop.

Tanreall posted:

Ashes of the Singularity released a new beta and a new beta means new benchmarks.

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-02/...-extreme-preset

Will AMD's commitment to asynchronous compute engines in their cards give them an advantage in this upcoming generation?

Its possible by the time rear end compute matters nvidia cards will all support it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Really depends on the titan X. I could run mine at 1450 on water, probably higher on a custom loop and clock for clock a Titan X is faster than a 980t. Not all 980ti's hit 1500mhz. My msi wont hit it unless im on my custom loop.

Its possible by the time rear end compute matters nvidia cards will all support it.

If you put a Titan X under water it's going to win. The blower holds it back stock though.

And of course NV's cards on sale will actually support async compute by the time it matters, just not Maxwell. Sure their architectures are habitually short-sighted, but they do what it takes to compete well in the short term.

Definitely glad to be waiting for Polaris or Pascal with a 290 in my case instead of a 970 though.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 24, 2016

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
I'm sure Nvidia will support it. I was just wondering if AMD's experience with them would give them an advantage for future implementation in cards.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Tanreall posted:

I'm sure Nvidia will support it. I was just wondering if AMD's experience with them would give them an advantage for future implementation in cards.

I wouldn't be surprised, they should be coming out with their redesigned version of all that hardware, and seeing how it's fared should be a big help. On the other hand NV has been very good with releasing cards that are just right for right when they're released.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tanreall posted:

Guru3D looked at it too, and did FCAT tests unlike the other sites.

Surprise: The frame pacing is dogshit when different GPUs are combined with explicit multi-adapter :toot:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Mutant Standard posted:

Well okay then.

All of the aftermarkets do. However, if you are putting that 980ti into the RVZ02 eventually, stick with MSI 6G. You have to remove one of the corner braces but it fits fairly easily otherwise. I am sure the G1 would not.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013
So, am I correct in understanding that I can use my 680 and 980ti at the same time for Ashes of the Singularity?
And if I can, will that give the game a significance performance bump, or will it be barley noticeable?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

You get amazingly irregular frames!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Allen_Aldo posted:

So, am I correct in understanding that I can use my 680 and 980ti at the same time for Ashes of the Singularity?
And if I can, will that give the game a significance performance bump, or will it be barley noticeable?

It might depend on the generation of the card as far as whether it can be used like that. As far as performance goes you still want cards that are fairly close to each other in performance or you will actually see less performance by adding a much slower card to a fast one than by using the fast one alone, see the chart from TPU here. For example a 980 Ti on it's own gets 42 FPS at 1080p, a 980 Ti plus a R9 380 gets 18 FPS at 1080p, on the other hand a 980 Ti plus a 970 gets 53 FPS, so you do gain a bit if the cards are close enough together.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

All of the aftermarkets do. However, if you are putting that 980ti into the RVZ02 eventually, stick with MSI 6G. You have to remove one of the corner braces but it fits fairly easily otherwise. I am sure the G1 would not.

Alright, so I'm looking at that now. The "Golden Edition" that's all copper is cheaper than the normal but it sounds like it's as heavy as a brick and the temps aren't that different. Would be preeeeetty cool to have a chopper GPU though.

The EVGA FTW 980ti is one of the cheapest, and that comes with The Division AND Bombshell (ugh), but when I had the 970 ACX2.0 in the RVZ02 I could hear the fans when it hit the 80s. And EVGA has the reputation of having very medicore, loud fan coolers. But this is ACX2.0+ AND FTW (where... the heatsink sits on the chip itself?), but reviews on Newegg say that it's loud in it's 70s but if it's noticely quieter than a ACX2.0 that might be good enough. And a quick look at techgage's review says they couldn't OC the card much beyond it's factory overclock, and looking at their Kingpin I'm guessing that they're binning their cards that way. But their factory overclock IS impressive. Their customer service is pretty good too, but my Titan X fiasco was with them so...

With the rebate it's $610, and that seems pretty good for what's suppose to be a more "luxury" version of a 980ti that's not a Kingpin. But if it's going to be a card that ends up in a RVZ02 I want it's cooling system to be really good, but at least with this there's a guarantee that I can run it at that set clock speed.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 25, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NV are sticking to their story that they can totally do async, honest, the drivers just aren't ready yet.

https://twitter.com/PellyNV/status/702556025816125440

Whether that's true or they're just stalling until Pascal is anyone's guess :shrug:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I do question that they can do async compute at all.

I don't doubt that the drivers aren't ready yet, because that's where their scheduler is.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Wait poo poo my RVZ02 has a 500W PSU I can't stick a 980ti in that. :psyduck:

Edit: Well I COULD but there would be very little headroom.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 25, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mutant Standard posted:

You can if you don't overclock it

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Nvidia recommends a 600w, but the card only draws 250w so depending on your 500 you miiiight be ok. Not ideal though, and buying a 600w SFX power supply would push the total price of the card up quite a bit.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You can if you don't overclock it

They automatically overclock themselves.

Nvidia GPU Boost Technology

The 4960k is an 88w TDP, put the 980ti at 275. You got 137w for other system components.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 25, 2016

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Cinara posted:

Nvidia recommends a 600w, but the card only draws 250w so depending on your 500 you miiiight be ok. Not ideal though, and buying a 600w SFX power supply would push the total price of the card up quite a bit.

Not just that, but the 500W is a SFX-L model. It's fan is better, and much more quiet. The only SFX-L PSU is the 500W one.

quote:

You got 137w for other system components.
That seems like a very tight squeeze.

edit: Actually nah the rest of my components need probably like 50W~60w. It'll be close but good.

I'm buying the 980ti FTW. $610 for what it delivers seems real good, PLUS I get Bombshell. :v:

EVGA man, I can't escape the brand.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 25, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Mutant Standard posted:

Edit: Well I COULD but there would be very little headroom.

I do, and its overclocked 100%, same with cpu (6600k). Its fine. I actually returned the 600 watt unit for the SFX L 500 watt. Since there is nothing else the PSU can power in that small case it might as well be 1000 watts for all you will notice.

If you makes you more comfortable I ran CPU stress testing and GPU stress testing at the same time to no ill effect, and the computer will hardly ever reach that kind of power draw on its own.

SlayVus posted:

They automatically overclock themselves.

Nvidia GPU Boost Technology

The 4960k is an 88w TDP, put the 980ti at 275. You got 137w for other system components.

I'm sure he means an actual overclock but at any rate 500 watts just cuts it.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 25, 2016

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I've always thought I was fairly irresponsible with money, but buying a 980ti just to tide yourself over till pascal is pants on head stupidity, unless you're a millionaire who won't notice a grand here or there next to the yachts you regularly splurge on.

I run games at max settings with my 780ti, which is pretty much the same as an overclocked 970 performance wise. I may not get 60fps in the most demanding games, but everything is playable. Is it really worth blowing $600 just for higher fps for a few months? You even have a Gsync monitor, one of the main points of which is to make games look smoother at lower framerates - and frankly as long as your framerates stay above 30 games are perfectly playable, even if it isn't ideal. If you really can't handle the thought of games running at lower framerates, you don't have a steam backlog of older games you haven't played yet? You can't spend the next 6 months catching up on all the indie games you haven't had a chance to play yet?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Mutant Standard posted:

The EVGA FTW 980ti is one of the cheapest, and that comes with The Division AND Bombshell (ugh), but when I had the 970 ACX2.0 in the RVZ02 I could hear the fans when it hit the 80s. And EVGA has the reputation of having very medicore, loud fan coolers. But this is ACX2.0+ AND FTW (where... the heatsink sits on the chip itself?), but reviews on Newegg say that it's loud in it's 70s but if it's noticely quieter than a ACX2.0 that might be good enough. And a quick look at techgage's review says they couldn't OC the card much beyond it's factory overclock, and looking at their Kingpin I'm guessing that they're binning their cards that way. But their factory overclock IS impressive. Their customer service is pretty good too, but my Titan X fiasco was with them so...

I have a FTW, and I can validate that it doesn't OC much past what comes out of the box: I can only squeeze maybe another 52Mhz core on it (so ~1444 total) and ~250Mhz RAM (7.5Ghz). Admittedly I haven't bothered with voltage, but that usually doesn't get you much further on Maxwell anyhow. On the other hand, it's quite quiet, so I'm not sure where the complaint there comes from. Now, I do have a rather large case with excellent airflow, but it's pretty quiet all through the 70's (blends in pretty well with normal low-RPM case-fan noise), and while it's noticeable once it hits about 80, it's still not what I'd call obnoxious--and even benchmarking/stress tests it never gets much above 80, so the cooler is rather effective. I've definitely had many cards that were quite a bit louder, especially since unless you're doing 1440p + high-FPS it's probably not going to be sitting at 80 most of the time to begin with.

Also give Jet.com a look. I got mine off there for $575 shipped, no rebate.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

The Lord Bude posted:

I've always thought I was fairly irresponsible with money, but buying a 980ti just to tide yourself over till pascal is pants on head stupidity, unless you're a millionaire who won't notice a grand here or there next to the yachts you regularly splurge on.

I run games at max settings with my 780ti, which is pretty much the same as an overclocked 970 performance wise. I may not get 60fps in the most demanding games, but everything is playable. Is it really worth blowing $600 just for higher fps for a few months? You even have a Gsync monitor, one of the main points of which is to make games look smoother at lower framerates - and frankly as long as your framerates stay above 30 games are perfectly playable, even if it isn't ideal. If you really can't handle the thought of games running at lower framerates, you don't have a steam backlog of older games you haven't played yet? You can't spend the next 6 months catching up on all the indie games you haven't had a chance to play yet?

No he is buying a 980ti now to avoid buying another 970 to SLI, and then that 980ti will go on to replace what is now a 950 once and if pascal is something he wants to buy. The only thing getting bumped out of the loop here is a 950, and then (and only if he wants to) a 970 to sell after the Pascal release. In the end he will end up with either a 980ti and 970 machine, or a Pascal and 980ti machine. The money "wasted" here is less than it seems when you consider the final outcomes.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

No he is buying a 980ti now to avoid buying another 970 to SLI, and then that 980ti will go on to replace what is now a 950 once and if pascal is something he wants to buy. The only thing getting bumped out of the loop here is a 950, and then (and only if he wants to) a 970 to sell after the Pascal release. In the end he will end up with either a 980ti and 970 machine, or a Pascal and 980ti machine. The money "wasted" here is less than it seems when you consider the final outcomes.

He doesn't need a 980 Ti for a "console" PC. A sensible consumer would stick with the 970 for 4 months but then again he bought a Titan X so I guess that ship has sailed a while ago.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
This is the GPU thread, not the part picking one; GTFO with that talk of sensible consumerism.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Running a titan X for most of a year for $100 is actually a really good buy (assuming it worked).

The 980 Ti is the only really compelling way to buy more power, but it's likely to start depreciating like mad when Polaris and Pascal drop. If Pascal and Polaris put 980 Ti performance at $300 like the 970 did last time, that's $300 more for a few months of Ti, and the Ti will be hotter inside the console case than Pascal, and will likely age poorly in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lot of jealous poors ITT. It's ok, your B-stock 950s will still render frames...eventually.