Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

I got road raged at on the way to work today.

Guy in a company branded van dove from the slow lane to fast lane in front of me doing 30-40 under when I was doing 5 over the speed limit causing me to brake hard. Before I had time to back off completely he brake checks me, and then pulls in to the other lane. I start passing him and he swerves at me, once I'm past he tail gates me for a kilometre before giving up..

Considering sending a message to the company but I doubt it'll have any effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

lookslikerain posted:

Guy in a company branded van dove from the slow lane to fast lane in front of me doing 30-40 under when I was doing 5 over the speed limit causing me to brake hard. Before I had time to back off completely he brake checks me, and then pulls in to the other lane. I start passing him and he swerves at me, once I'm past he tail gates me for a kilometre before giving up..

You should. I'm pretty sure that no company wants to be associated with dangerous driving.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

B4Ctom1 posted:

Oblivious Floridian idiot drives into tornado (finally at 2:28) with much cursing.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4ed_1455663173

I don't know what's more baffling, the large number of people driving towards the giant obvious funnel cloud, or the ones who decide to stop with their hazards on right next to it.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

lookslikerain posted:

MrOnBicycle posted:

You should. I'm pretty sure that no company wants to be associated with dangerous driving.

I agree with messaging the company. Even if they don't do anything about it at least you brought it to their attention. I called the company on an inattentive driver who almost ran me into a jersey wall once (he started merging toward me, I leaned on the horn while braking, didn't even phase him, passed him later and he's on the phone), not knowing if the company would give a poo poo, or the driver himself would be the one who answered, but the guy I talked to was very interested in hearing about the incident, and even called back within a few minutes to double check where it occurred, I'm assuming so he'd know which driver to talk to.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MrOnBicycle posted:

Exactly this, report it because every person that doesn't report it is putting themselves and others at risk. I sure as hell wouldn't want to find out that the guy I didn't report ended up hurting or killing someone doing the same poo poo a day later.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Modern small automatics tend to come with robotised manual transmissions. Generally it's basically a bolt on kit, replace the clutch pedal and gear lever with hydraulic actuators.

My car has the exact same transmission as the manual and manumatic ones. It's just bolted on upside down and has a bunch of hydraulics bolted to it.

Direct benefit is that the computers know much better which gear is appropriate, so I get a 4.8l/100km average. According to spritmonitor.de most people with a manual are closer to 6.

By comparison the Mazda 121 1.3 with a 4-speed slushbox struggled to do much better than 8l/100km. Despite being lighter, running on skinnier tyres, and not having things like air-conditioning and power steering.
35kW and a 4 speed slushbox, never again. 55kW and a 5 speed dry plate robotic transmission, that's fine. Even in an 825kg car.

e: drat mobile posting...

Deedle fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 20, 2016

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

B4Ctom1 posted:

Oblivious Floridian idiot drives into tornado (finally at 2:28) with much cursing.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4ed_1455663173

We had tornadoes the day after christmas here.

The only people that died in that tornado were on the road. There's video footage of their cars getting tosses around, but i'm not linking to it.

I guess my point is, don't drive when there's a god damned tornado warning out there. That loving guy is REALLY lucky.

stangman
Mar 13, 2003

I wouldn't expect it in FL I guess, but in the midwest no one gives a gently caress about warnings, it's too regular in the spring/summer. I remember delivering pizzas one night in Rolla, MO and there were warnings. Like the highway patrol was posted on overpasses looking for tornadoes, it was weird, they were just sitting in the middle of overpasses with their lights on. Good luck if that twister moving at 60mph comes on top of you, hopefully you'll have a second to yell in the radio and report the position. Our manager took us off the road for like 45 minutes, but then was eventually like "gotta make some money tonight guys" and sent us back out. I delivered at one lady's house literally as a siren started for like the 5th time. She asked if I wanted to come in the basement, and I was like why? Been dodging this poo poo all night. They had all the dorm students in the basement, still ordered pizza with their meal plan points and didn't tip. Sirens going off, they're ordering and not tipping. loving pricks. 3 confirmed tornadoes in the county that night.

This is like a recurring theme though, for the midwest. We vacationed up northwest somewhere and a lightning strike was apparently big news. They were "dispatching news crews" and interviewing people and poo poo. It was surreal.

Dieter
May 27, 2006

You solid?!

lookslikerain posted:

Seconding the idea to contact the company. I've done this myself after I witnessed a DHL delivery van driver swerving and driving like a maniac every morning for a week and got a very apologetic non-standard reply from the customer service with the promise that the driver had been dealt a warning. Don't do it if someone just blows by you driving too fast, but in this case this guy was pulling scary maneuvers every single morning on the highway.

The reply could have been BS as far as I know, but I know for a fact that at the consultancy company I work for, if somebody calls in or emails complaining about your driving (company stickers on the rear windows) that you're going to get your rear end dragged in for a verbal beating by the bossman very quickly.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

stangman posted:

This is like a recurring theme though, for the midwest. We vacationed up northwest somewhere and a lightning strike was apparently big news. They were "dispatching news crews" and interviewing people and poo poo. It was surreal.

Yeah, I saw more lightning my first day in Denver (happened to arrive during a really bad June thunderstorm) than in my entire 26 years growing up in Portland. Lightning is not common up there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dieter posted:

Seconding the idea to contact the company. I've done this myself after I witnessed a DHL delivery van driver swerving and driving like a maniac every morning for a week and got a very apologetic non-standard reply from the customer service with the promise that the driver had been dealt a warning. Don't do it if someone just blows by you driving too fast, but in this case this guy was pulling scary maneuvers every single morning on the highway.

The reply could have been BS as far as I know, but I know for a fact that at the consultancy company I work for, if somebody calls in or emails complaining about your driving (company stickers on the rear windows) that you're going to get your rear end dragged in for a verbal beating by the bossman very quickly.

I just did this today. Big plumbing/HVAC company pickup was under the speed limit in the passing lane, drifting around the lanes and I could see his head looking down thru his side mirror, obviously texting. Got it on dash cam and called the company.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah, I saw more lightning my first day in Denver (happened to arrive during a really bad June thunderstorm) than in my entire 26 years growing up in Portland. Lightning is not common up there.

Living on the West coast, I miss big crazy storms. Love watching big crazy thunderstorms when I'm working back east. Last summer I was in the Chicago area when there was tornado warnings and everything, of course the hotel was right next to a RV/Trailer sales lot so I fully expected one to touch down. Didnt stop me from watching it from the window.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If you really want to censor your friend's name, you should censor it at the bottom of the top image as well.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Not a friend just some jerk I saw complaining about cops. Thanks though Ill fix it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Automatics would be even more popular with people if they had turn-signals that could be activated without having to take the non-cellphone using hand off the wheel :argh:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
How much is that ticket for? Or is it multiple tickets?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Automatics would be even more popular with people if they had turn-signals that could be activated without having to take the non-cellphone using hand off the wheel :argh:

Like that stops anybody. I have seen manual drivers smoking, drinking a soda, and talking on the cell phone. This is of course, driving with their knees.

My point is, the type of transmission isn't a deterrent to stupid people doing stupid things.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ratbert90 posted:

Like that stops anybody. I have seen manual drivers smoking, drinking a soda, and talking on the cell phone. This is of course, driving with their knees.

My point is, the type of transmission isn't a deterrent to stupid people doing stupid things.

I am, quite sadly, guilty of this.

(at low speeds in empty roads. Im not a total idiot)

MrLonghair posted:

This is an extinction event.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
On my way to work:

First some bloody wanker in a blue crossover with CT vanity plate "BEUTI8" (IIRC, it was that or BEAUT8 or BEUTY8) brake checked me for flicking the passing lights at them in the left lane because they'd been pacing the car in the middle lane for several miles while swerving and in general not paying attention to anything except their navel. Then intentionally blocked me from passing on the right and raged at me/flipped me off when I finally passed them. gently caress you with a flaming roll of barbed wire you asscock. Also PS brakechecking is more effective if someone is tailgating you... than if they are following at a reasonable distance as I was. Just a hint.

last seen: wandering about in the passing lane with 20+ cars stacked up behind them.

Then about 45 seconds later some ancient lady in a grey chevy blithely merged into me without checking her mirrors at all, and completely ignored (like, her head didn't even turn) me laying on the horn and panic braking. Fortunately there was a wide shoulder. I really wish I hadn't moved the dashcam power cord to the other car yesterday, because I'm pretty sure that was solid evidence of someone who shouldn't have been driving anymore.

last seen: cutting off a semi truck to get back into the middle lane. He wasn't amused by her driving skills either.

A short while later I was cut off by a red prius with livery plates which proceeded to pace the other two lanes for several miles while weaving about and talking on his cellphone.

I need a shorter commute, holy christ. People are loving terrible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hey, jerkass: you see the sign that says "Construction Ends"? That's where the construction zone ends. Not before. Get off my rear end, I'm not going to risk a double-penalty speeding ticket because you wanted to go fast 300m earlier than otherwise.

At least be consistent and do the 30-40 km/h over the limit you were just doing in the construction zone when the normal speed limit resumes!

I love the complete surprise that seems to strike them when they realize that I actually want to do 90 km/h in the 80 km/h regular zone, I was just uncomfortable with doing 80 km/h in the 50 km/h construction zone. I suspect these people get a lot of large speeding tickets and then whine about it to no end.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 23, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm more a fan of the jackwagons who bumble through the construction zone at exactly the construction zone limit, in the right two lanes since the left two are closed off, then immediately upon the end of the lane closure, expand out to fill all available lanes again without accelerating at all ever.

And by a fan I mean I wish it was legal to execute them for being idiots.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

Hey, jerkass: you see the sign that says "Construction Ends"? That's where the construction zone ends. Not before. Get off my rear end, I'm not going to risk a double-penalty speeding ticket because you wanted to go fast 300m earlier than otherwise.

At least be consistent and do the 30-40 km/h over the limit you were just doing in the construction zone when the normal speed limit resumes!

I love the complete surprise that seems to strike them when they realize that I actually want to do 90 km/h in the 80 km/h regular zone, I was just uncomfortable with doing 80 km/h in the 50 km/h construction zone. I suspect these people get a lot of large speeding tickets and then whine about it to no end.

I've noticed that most people on the highway, and surface streets as well, pick a speed they want to drive at and stick to it come hell or high water. Something as minor as a school zone or construction zone with a reduced speed limit and doubled speeding fine is not enough to break them out of their trance. This is why major highway construction sites around here tend to have cruisers stationed at them with their lights going when work is actually happening. Not to chase down the speeders but to scare everyone into slowing down to a crawl, because that's invariably the only thing that will penetrate their texting, makeup-applying, distracted rear end bubbles of self-absorption.

Of course then they slow down to 45 in a 55 until they think the cop can't see them anymore, at which point they speed back up to whatever their default speed is. Regardless of whether they're actually past the construction zone or not.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 24, 2016

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Best trick I've seen with cops is having a marked cruiser on the highway in the middle lane, so everyone is staying at or around the limit. At the rear of the pack is an unmarked cruiser. Marked cruiser exits and it's like dropping the green flag at Daytona. After a few moments the unmarked picks a victim and pulls them over.

My latest big gripe on the highway are people in the left lane oblivious to faster traffic behind them. I get it, they want to go fast and pass slower traffic. But when it is practically clear lanes, there's no need to chill in the left lane. I saw a lady stay in the left lane despite a cruiser with lights and siren going fly up behind her, flash his brights, and then drove around her. If the cruiser wasn't heading to a crash a mile up, I'm sure he would have pulled her over.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
What is it about stop signs that makes people pants on head retarded?

At a 4 way stop, I arrive to make a left turn. A truck shows up a second earlier and makes a left turn going the way I came, while another truck comes from the direction opposite of me.

Now, I'm second, so I get right of way to go next, right?

Nah, not even halfway through the first truck's turn, the second truck just goes for it. I don't even get a chance to move before this dude is on the other truck's rear end mid-turn.

Would it really kill you to wait the 3 seconds it takes for me to make a left turn?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

Best trick I've seen with cops is having a marked cruiser on the highway in the middle lane, so everyone is staying at or around the limit. At the rear of the pack is an unmarked cruiser. Marked cruiser exits and it's like dropping the green flag at Daytona. After a few moments the unmarked picks a victim and pulls them over.

My latest big gripe on the highway are people in the left lane oblivious to faster traffic behind them. I get it, they want to go fast and pass slower traffic. But when it is practically clear lanes, there's no need to chill in the left lane. I saw a lady stay in the left lane despite a cruiser with lights and siren going fly up behind her, flash his brights, and then drove around her. If the cruiser wasn't heading to a crash a mile up, I'm sure he would have pulled her over.

No he wouldn't. Not around here anyways. State cops run 120mph in the left lane and flick the blues on anytime some oblivious navel gazer is in the left lane matching speed, then ignore them. I've seen one cop do it 6-7 times in a row before he got out of sight.

Didn't pull a single goddamn person over. Guess what, they all went right back into the left lane and continued as they were as soon as he passed. Guess who couldn't get them to move the gently caress over and ended up passing them on the right after a mile or two of waiting for an opening?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
My favorite cop trick near me takes place on a bridge. It is about 5 mile long with 8 lanes, and I don't think I've ever seen someone do less than 70 over it, usually 80-90. The limit is 60 so a cop will sit on the shoulder with his lights on like he has someone pulled over and wait for an egregious speeder. Once he catches someone he will just tear after them and put on his siren, everyone just assumes he is too busy with whoever he caught and ignore him. I've probably seen this in action about 11 times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's probably an ugly ticket because most states have a "you must move over and slow down for stopped emergency vehicles" law on the books.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If there is a carpool lane, the lane to the right of the carpool lane is the left lane. Goddamn, so many people camp in that lane (even compared to regular left lanes)

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Here are the rules of highway use around my area:
1) pick a lane
2) do whatever speed you like
3) ignore whoever is tailgating or flashing

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I've actually taken to cruising in the middle lane and just following traffic, and watching the cars around me do what they do. If it's clear I'll pass and return to the middle lane. It's so much more relaxing than being stuck in the left lane behind a slow rear end in a top hat, with even more impatient assholes stacked up on my rear bumper, doing things like jerking in to the middle or right lane to try and pass me only to run into traffic and slow down and swerve back in behind, etc.

Then again, here in Denver even the middle lane goes over the speed limit, it's really a competition about whether you want to go 75 or 80 in the left lane at this point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wish it was only 75 or 80. Chicagoland upped their speed limit from 55 to 60 for most urban highways last year. When the speed limit was 55, traffic typically moved at 65 mph. Apparently people around here took that as an invitation to floor it because with the limit at 60, I regularly get passed like I'm standing still when my speedo reads 70. I wouldn't be surprised if those people are north of 80 because if you spot them in a mirror they close the distance really drat fast.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I've seen people trundle onto the freeway below the limit, gingerly signal and move all the way across an empty highway (going below the limit) and get into the carpool lane and continue to travel below the limit.

I think there should be a rule, excepting full stop and go traffic, if you are in the HOV lane going the same speed or slower then the rest of traffic you should be ticketed. So many fucktards will sit in the HOV lane speed matching the traffic on the rest of the highway with wide open road ahead of them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
As annoying as it is to see that, it's not a passing lane.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BraveUlysses posted:

As annoying as it is to see that, it's not a passing lane.

Its not, its a HOV lane for people that are carpooling to bypass traffic.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://i.imgur.com/cIhBQrp.gifv

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

sleepy.eyes posted:

My favorite cop trick near me takes place on a bridge. It is about 5 mile long with 8 lanes, and I don't think I've ever seen someone do less than 70 over it, usually 80-90. The limit is 60 so a cop will sit on the shoulder with his lights on like he has someone pulled over and wait for an egregious speeder. Once he catches someone he will just tear after them and put on his siren, everyone just assumes he is too busy with whoever he caught and ignore him. I've probably seen this in action about 11 times.

The vincent thomas bridge between san pedro and long beach always has a cop at the bottom of the ramp on the LB side. It's a really long downhill drop so cars just naturally creep up over the limit. I used to drive over it every day and would always make sure to be going exactly the speed limit as I crested the top of the bridge.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Uh, whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Not gonna buff out.