Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Would Sandoval accept? I thought he was gearing up for a run at Reid's seat. Or is that just the established narrative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Aurubin posted:

Would Sandoval accept? I thought he was gearing up for a run at Reid's seat. Or is that just the established narrative?

He has agreed to go forward with vetting but not agreed that he would accept. Which, you know, he'd have to do before getting the offer :v:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Aurubin posted:

You'd rather run for the Senate than be appointed for life to the highest court in America?

I'm not saying it's a slam dunk, but SCOTUS would be a sweet gig.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

myron cope posted:

You'd rather run for the Senate than be appointed for life to the highest court in America?

I'm not saying it's a slam dunk, but SCOTUS would be a sweet gig.

If you want to live in DC for the rest of your life.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

If you want to live in DC for the rest of your life.

Nah. You get summers off, and summer is the worst part of living in DC.

(Also, being a Senator means spending half your life in DC anyway.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Aurubin posted:

Would he choose running for a senate seat maybe or the highest court in the country for life? Well gee hard choice.

Still all we have is 'vetted' which doesn't mean anything concrete. Lots of people get vetted either as probes for future other appointments or just a genuine 'let's look at this due more because I'm not sure'. If this turned out to be a trick to get some republicans to say 'well gee maybe we should vote' purely because of the R next to his name and open the door for 'see how this is total bullshit?' I wouldn't be surprised.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/702565467374940162

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/702571193073836033

Obama is the greatest troll that has ever trolled.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don't think Obama would publicly nod toward a potential nominee if he weren't okay with them being appointed as a potential end result. He's not the kind of guy to explicitly throw up a feint.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
This post already happened. Something went gone wrong. How are you?

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 24, 2016

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
He said he didn't want Syrian refugees though. I know, politics, but I don't trust him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TPM put up a good post about what the Republicans are doing, essentially arguing that all of their very public binding themselves to the mast isn't about blocking a nominee. It's about trying to limit the damage that discussion of the subject could cause. It's worth a read: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/a-lot-weaker-than-they-look

Essentially, the Republicans are trying to make this as much of a non-story as possible to try to be able to say "there's no story here, move onto other things". But it's less a demonstration of power than an implicit statement that yes, this could backfire hard in the elections.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
A republican nominee would kind of be even worse to allow a hearing/vote on. It would put republicans in a marginal republican seat in the position of looking especially bad for not voting for the guy and republicans in deep red areas are at more of a risk of a primary were an Obama nominee nominee to actually get through

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

whydirt posted:

I don't think Obama would publicly nod toward a potential nominee if he weren't okay with them being appointed as a potential end result. He's not the kind of guy to explicitly throw up a feint.

I'm sure he's ok with it happening and from my very weakass google 'vetting' I'm not really seeing anything BAD, just some generic center left things and a few meaningless rear end in a top hat things that don't mean anything about judicial stuff like 'republican governor said he wasn't happy about getting refugees' and 'NV politician has opinions about Yucca'

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

whydirt posted:

It's not clear to me who leaked this. Could have been Reid, Obama, or Sandoval himself.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That's fair. I can see Reid wanting to put the screws to McConnell as often as he can before he retires, heh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

TPM put up a good post about what the Republicans are doing, essentially arguing that all of their very public binding themselves to the mast isn't about blocking a nominee. It's about trying to limit the damage that discussion of the subject could cause. It's worth a read: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/a-lot-weaker-than-they-look

Essentially, the Republicans are trying to make this as much of a non-story as possible to try to be able to say "there's no story here, move onto other things". But it's less a demonstration of power than an implicit statement that yes, this could backfire hard in the elections.

LOL @ them trying to hide this once Obama picks someone.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The official nomination probably won't happen until late-March. In that time, a few other names could leak like a real liberal and a moderate democrat just to keep the narrative on the Republican obstruction.

Then he could nominate Sandoval for real and legit say "I passed on favorites from my base for this motherfucker. Let's do this." It'd be a devastating narrative for Republicans.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Obama also said he’s spoken with lawmakers and “told them I’m sympathetic” to the political pressures they face from their constituents and the party base. He also said he thinks Republicans’ remarks about blocking a nominee are disingenuous.

“There’s not a lot of vigor when they defend the position they’re taking when they defend their point. They’re pretty sheepish about it when they make those comments,” he said.

trollbama is activating

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Thwomp posted:

The official nomination probably won't happen until late-March. In that time, a few other names could leak like a real liberal and a moderate democrat just to keep the narrative on the Republican obstruction.

Then he could nominate Sandoval for real and legit say "I passed on favorites from my base for this motherfucker. Let's do this." It'd be a devastating narrative for Republicans.

Yeah, it's really hurt Republicans in the past when they seem intransigent against something Obama wants

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The difference here is that it's an election year and this is a concentrated issue. It's not like getting a huge bill through Congress. It's a specific thing only the Senate does and it's widely understood to be one of the most important things the Senate does. Senators can't blame an out-of-step tea party in the House for proposing insane ideas. This is on the Senate and, specifically, Republicans in the Senate. And all the judicial committee members just signed some weird pledge to not fulfill one of their most important duties. Every Republican senator up for re-election will get asked why their friends don't just have a vote and say no.

As an aside, I think the big winner in all this: Paul Ryan. No one is talking about the House anymore.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Thwomp posted:

it's widely understood to be one of the most important things the Senate does.

I think you're giving waaaay too much credit to the American electorate here. 49% of Americans can't name one of their two senators, and most Americans can't name all three branches of government. I'm confident all of this can be spun as blocking Obummer's trickster agenda.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I'm pretty sure I remember "upperdown vote" being a common refrain around 2004-2005. Should be plenty of attack material for Dems there.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

I think you're giving waaaay too much credit to the American electorate here. 49% of Americans can't name one of their two senators, and most Americans can't name all three branches of government. I'm confident all of this can be spun as blocking Obummer's trickster agenda.

Yeah, I'm not saying every American knows the major responsibilities of the branches of government or is even really very civics literate. But it's really easy to point out that the Senate has the responsibility to approve or disapprove of Supreme Court nominees and that the Republicans aren't even doing that.

The TPM article above goes into it in a bit more detail but it makes the point that the average middle-of-the-road (politically) voter is more frustrated by Congressional inaction and gridlock than anything else. And here you've got all the gridlock and naked political cynicism laid bare.

To further complicate things for Republicans, the kind of voter that cares about not having Obama appoint a justice is a Republican primary voter. So the Republicans have really backed themselves into an awful corner and picked "not get primaried" over "potential losses in November". They can hope their (false) argument that "the American people should decide who gets to nominate the next justice" floats but it's their only hope. The more Obama keeps the story in the news, the more pressure the Senate Republicans will feel.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

evilweasel posted:

trollbama is activating

If I were him I'd take a casual stroll through the Senate offices, dropping by to visit each Judiciary Committee member for a friendly clarification. Make them all say the words out of their own faces, smile and heel-pivot and saunter away. Like the friendly visit you get from the mobster the week before your protection money comes due.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

whydirt posted:

If he were just feinting, he could have chosen someone even further to the right.

Either he’s okay with Justice Sandoval or it’s an especially masterful feint.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

If I were him I'd take a casual stroll through the Senate offices, dropping by to visit each Judiciary Committee member for a friendly clarification. Make them all say the words out of their own faces, smile and heel-pivot and saunter away. Like the friendly visit you get from the mobster the week before your protection money comes due.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK8HfO6jXxA&t=262s

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fox News calling out a Republican senator on this :psyduck:

quote:

"The president has laid out I think what anyone would say is a very fair set of circumstances for nominating someone, so why not give this person hearing?" MacCallum asked Lee During a Wednesday interview on Fox News' "America's Newsroom." :psyduck:

Lee, a member of the Judiciary Committee, said that Obama is "a lame duck president in his final months of office" and that voters should choose the next president that they want to select the next Supreme Court justice.

"Yeah, but I think, Senator, with all due respect, wouldn't the American people say we elected President Obama?" MacCallum asked in response. :psyduck:

"We also elected the senators who are currently in office, and we expect them both, on both sides to do their job. The president's job is to name a nominee, your job is to give that person a hearing and either appoint or not," she continued. "So why not go through the process? Why do you get to decide that?" :psyduck:

Now you're also absolutely right, the president has the right to nominate," Lee replied. "That is his prerogative. It's also the Senate's right to decide when, whether, how, to what extent, to confirm someone."

He then argued that it's "tradition" not to confirm Supreme Court nominees during election years.

"I don't think that gets around the basic requirement to do the job, to go through the process, and if you all decide that you don't want to give consent to that person, well that's absolutely your right," MacCallum said. "And just given your background and being such an adherent to the Constitution, it seems somewhat surprising I think to some people to take that attitude." :psyduck:

She added that Republican obstruction of Obama's nominee feeds the perception that lawmakers "are blocking things from happening on Capitol Hill."

"We are blocking this from happening, make no mistake about it. We are blocking this one. And we feel it's our obligation to do so," Lee responded, adding that Obama "has overstepped his constitutional boundaries so many times."

"But then why does it make it right to do that on your side?" MacCallum hit back. "You can look at this person and say 'no thank you, we don't like this person,' but why the hesitation to have a hearing? To do the process? I think that's what people have a hard time understanding." :psyduck:

:psyduck:
:psyduck::psyduck:
:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:
:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/fox-grills-mike-lee-scotus

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
So how much of an rear end in a top hat is this Sandoval guy, my Twitter feed is in a frenzy

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zakharov posted:

So how much of an rear end in a top hat is this Sandoval guy, my Twitter feed is in a frenzy

"Sandoval is pro-choice; while he's not exactly pro-marriage equality or pro-Obamacare, as governor he abandoned the state of Nevada's legal efforts to enforce a same-sex marriage ban and has not opposed the implementation of the Affordable Care Act."

I dunno, probably he's a little bit of an rear end in a top hat somehow, or he wouldn't be a Republican governor, but he seems qualified and unterrible.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

evilweasel posted:

trollbama is activating

Oh yes. It cannot end well for those who continue opposition. The base will eat them alive. I will gladly eat my hat if dems take the Senate back due to this entertaining series of events.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

mdemone posted:

"Sandoval is pro-choice; while he's not exactly pro-marriage equality or pro-Obamacare, as governor he abandoned the state of Nevada's legal efforts to enforce a same-sex marriage ban and has not opposed the implementation of the Affordable Care Act."

I dunno, probably he's a little bit of an rear end in a top hat somehow, or he wouldn't be a Republican governor, but he seems qualified and unterrible.

I don't know if I would consider him qualified - his resume is a few steps worse than every other justice on the court, and only one or two steps above Harriet Miers'. He's a career politician with a JD from Ohio State - he spent a few years as NV AG and on a district court but that's about it.

As far as I can tell, no one has ever considered him a brilliant jurist.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Being governor is a tremendous real world qualification and experience.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

On the contrary, it's absolutely about the person. It's just that the person it's about isn't the nominee.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

evilweasel posted:

Problem is that there's an easy solution: vulnerable senators defect and say they support hearings, but mean ol' mitch won't hold them so what can they do.

Easier said than done. Making a simple statement that you'd sure like to vote but that mean turtle won't let you doesn't placate Democrats or Independents while infuriating the Republicans who now are convinced that you're a secret Muslim enabler. So the only way to pull off this solution is to say nothing or support McConnell up until your primary filling deadline, and then come out vocally and forcefully against McConnell. Which looks a hell of a lot like flip flopping and doesn't really help you all that much if the Senate still refuses to do anything.

This is especially magnified if Obama actually picks someone like Sandoval, who the general public is going to be unable to see as anything other than a conservative candidate that Obama is putting up as a compromise attempt.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

zakharov posted:

Good:
Replaced this rear end in a top hat by beating an unpopular incumbent in a primary. Accepted Obamacare and Medicaid expansion after Reid made the feds kick the money in for eternity, saying the state's unemployment was too high to ignore Medicaid. When a margins tax for schools that was opposed by pretty basically everyone but education unions and the farthest left was voted down by the conservative wave election of 2014, he got a tax increase passed that gave them about 70% or so of what they had asked for. This caused him to be labelled a sellout by Republicans who cried and cried some more about how he "turned his back" on the "groundswell of conservatism" that occurred when the Democrats forgot to get out the vote in 2014.

Bad:
The state's healthcare exchange was a wreck and eventually outsourced to healthcare dot gov, but that's mostly because of outside contractor Xerox bungling it all. The state AG, acting on behalf of his office, once wrote a universally terrible defense of the state's gay marriage ban, but she's a Democrat and was "just doing her job" and said that Sandoval tells her office what to defend or not, with both sides agreeing to stop defending the ban in 2014.

Ugly:
There's this state solar power thing, but opinions on personal solar panels are divided. The core problem is one of utility monopolies and allowing the rich people to buy solar panels and wean themselves off funding the power monopoly (raising rates on the poors who cannot afford solar panels) does not actually address the core problem and will become regressive in time.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

Good:
Replaced this rear end in a top hat by beating an unpopular incumbent in a primary. Accepted Obamacare and Medicaid expansion after Reid made the feds kick the money in for eternity, saying the state's unemployment was too high to ignore Medicaid. When a margins tax for schools that was opposed by pretty basically everyone but education unions and the farthest left was voted down by the conservative wave election of 2014, he got a tax increase passed that gave them about 70% or so of what they had asked for. This caused him to be labelled a sellout by Republicans who cried and cried some more about how he "turned his back" on the "groundswell of conservatism" that occurred when the Democrats forgot to get out the vote in 2014.

Bad:
The state's healthcare exchange was a wreck and eventually outsourced to healthcare dot gov, but that's mostly because of outside contractor Xerox bungling it all. The state AG, acting on behalf of his office, once wrote a universally terrible defense of the state's gay marriage ban, but she's a Democrat and was "just doing her job" and said that Sandoval tells her office what to defend or not, with both sides agreeing to stop defending the ban in 2014.

Ugly:
There's this state solar power thing, but opinions on personal solar panels are divided. The core problem is one of utility monopolies and allowing the rich people to buy solar panels and wean themselves off funding the power monopoly (raising rates on the poors who cannot afford solar panels) does not actually address the core problem and will become regressive in time.

Well that all looks about as bland as possible. No wonder this guy is the first balloon, just by floating the idea it's going to make the relevant Senators either take a harder line or capitulate entirely.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

euphronius posted:

Being governor is a tremendous real world qualification and experience.

I strongly disagree. I don't think leading a state or city or country makes a person a better jurist at all - at least not for the type of analysis that SC justices are expected to perform.

I wouldn't consider Chris Christie or Jeb Bush good potential candidates either.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

esquilax posted:

I strongly disagree. I don't think leading a state or city or country makes a person a better jurist at all - at least not for the type of analysis that SC justices are expected to perform.

I wouldn't consider Chris Christie or Jeb Bush good potential candidates either.

What about Earl Warren?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

esquilax posted:

There's been a whole lot of justices with no prior judicial experience at all, so it seems to matter less than you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

esquilax posted:

On the other hand, being an amazing lawyer with no real-world experience is how you get idiotic rulings like "of course there's no possibility of corruption if we remove all campaign finance rules" or whatever Roberts said when he wrote that opinion.