Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
They're toasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Our chicken and turkey is free of added growth hormones!

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

AlphaKretin posted:

My local Hungry Jack's (Australian Burger King) has more posters than a stalker's shrine about how their beef is hormone free, which is already required by law. Now it's not like they're the only advertisements to ever hinge on something also true of the competition, but to so fiercely push the message only makes me suspicious that they just got caught putting growth hormones in their beef and if my hunch is right they're needlessly calling attention to it.

Maybe they're hoping to employ the Fairsley effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4yX2rkpBc

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its me, they're targeting me.

I was buying "whole grain" hard taco shells for the longest time until the competitor put "as always, whole grain." At which point I realized a taco shell box was calling me an idiot because there isn't such a thing as cornmeal that isn't whole grain.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Another one in the "You should probably have real human beings filtering submissions to your automated Twitter promotion" category:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

My local Hungry Jack's (Australian Burger King) has more posters than a stalker's shrine about how their beef is hormone free, which is already required by law. Now it's not like they're the only advertisements to ever hinge on something also true of the competition, but to so fiercely push the message only makes me suspicious that they just got caught putting growth hormones in their beef and if my hunch is right they're needlessly calling attention to it.

This is also a marketing thing in Canada, where hormones in beef are also illegal; I think it has more to do with American health and safety discussions leaking into the rest of the English-speaking world's conversations than anything.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Arbitrary Number posted:

Advertisers pay Google per click. https://www.google.ca/adwords/ The reason they ban weird activity is because they want to assure their customers that they aren't paying for bot clicks or something. Being banned from adsense with no way of appealing is dumb yes, but it's not like the whole system is based on moon logic.

There are two types of ads in Adsense, basically: ads that pay by click, and ads that pay by number of impressions. I run a forum that uses Adsense ads to basically pay the hosting bill, and it's worked well so far. Google seems to know what my site's niche is (travel/vacations), and I don't allow certain categories of ads on my site at all, so no weight-loss or car insurance "One Weird Trick!!!one!1" ads.

I can tell, usually, when a per-click ad has paid off- they usually give a cut if (for example) I run an ad for a travel agency that receives a travel reservation from someone clicking on their ad on my site- that is actually a nice little $20 or so bump in the daily take. But that's very much few and far between.

Last year, I had one day show up in my reports that I'd earned $1500 in a single day, apparently because someone decided to click a bunch of ads on my site or something, I'm not sure. (That amount is an order of magnitude more that what the site earns in a month.) Whatever it was, it never happened again, and when my check came for that month, it wasn't included. I'm pretty sure they just saw it as an outlier and threw it out, which is fine with me if the alternative is kicking me out of Adsense altogether. I still don't know why it happened to this day.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I successfully got an Adsense account for my Youtube channel a few years ago, but never really did anything with it. Forgot about the whole thing. Now I've started a website, and tried to get adsense set up on that, but was denied since I already had an account. But it also wouldn't let me set it up for the website. So it gave me the option to delete the account and apply again. I did so, and it still won't approve me because I have already got an account (that I specifically disabled and destroyed using their instructions) attached to an alternative email address (that no longer exists).

The solution according to them appears to either get the original email address back (impossible, when you do what I did, Adsense does say that you can get the address back within a certain time period just in case something like this does happen - well my email address was unable to be retrieved within half an hour, so good job) or follow a link to a page where they'll contact me and help me directly and oh that page is literally a fully made adsense page with the text saying that the information can't be found (and therefore gently caress you you're on your own)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think if you want to contact AdSense, you should make an advertiser's account. They're likely to answer the phone in order to accept your moneys.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

zedprime posted:

Its me, they're targeting me.

I was buying "whole grain" hard taco shells for the longest time until the competitor put "as always, whole grain." At which point I realized a taco shell box was calling me an idiot because there isn't such a thing as cornmeal that isn't whole grain.

The whole grain version might have some extra whole grains added in...? Or just a 'brownish' tinting agent!

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Phanatic posted:

Another one in the "You should probably have real human beings filtering submissions to your automated Twitter promotion" category:

Extra irony for one of the Canadiens best players (PK Subban) being black himself.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Extra irony for one of the Canadiens best players (PK Subban) being black himself.

Arguably better than if they had no black players.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
One of the automatic responses was a video from P.K. Subban thanking them.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't get it. Did they post it because they didn't understand what it said or is it some kind of automatic thing? In regard to the jersey.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
IIRC it was automatic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't get it. Did they post it because they didn't understand what it said or is it some kind of automatic thing? In regard to the jersey.

It's automatic. They didn't learn from the Patriots doing the same thing and tweeting thanks to "IH8NIGGERS"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
There's a pro-fracking ad that comes up regularly on Pandora that comes off super artificial. The best part comes at the end when the closest they can come to providing any sort of argument that the process is safe is that they've been doing it for 65 years now, as if it's common sense to actively turn a blind eye to cumulative effect.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Choco1980 posted:

There's a pro-fracking ad that comes up regularly on Pandora that comes off super artificial. The best part comes at the end when the closest they can come to providing any sort of argument that the process is safe is that they've been doing it for 65 years now, as if it's common sense to actively turn a blind eye to cumulative effect.
Not sure if the timing was intentional, but they've decided to run pro-fraking advertisement on NPR. At the same time as NPR was running a series of reports on all that is wrong with the fracking industry in PA. It was rather eyebrow-raising

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I hate the new adverts for the army where some middle class parent says "Don't join the army" and then their chav kid thoroughly owns them by reciting a list of senseless cliches.

Don't become a better person? Don't be all that I can be? Don't make something of myself?

It probably works on their target audience, though.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

sassassin posted:

I hate the new adverts for the army where some middle class parent says "Don't join the army" and then their chav kid thoroughly owns them by reciting a list of senseless cliches.

Don't become a better person? Don't be all that I can be? Don't make something of myself?

It probably works on their target audience, though.

Don't be cannon fodder for an army waging wars of aggression in the middle east? Yeah, that ain't me mom and dad!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh god there's an Australian defense recruiting ad that has some guy in the most deliberately obnoxious voice going about about how he's learning karatay followed by "Learn a real skill". Yeah you're right, learning to kill and/or get killed is way more valuable than martial arts, you condescending pricks! :fuckoff: Opinions(tm) aside, making GBS threads on a hobby* like that doesn't seem like the best way to get people agreeing with you.

*More than a hobby for some people but I can't think of the word

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh god there's an Australian defense recruiting ad that has some guy in the most deliberately obnoxious voice going about about how he's learning karatay followed by "Learn a real skill". Yeah you're right, learning to kill and/or get killed is way more valuable than martial arts, you condescending pricks! :fuckoff: Opinions(tm) aside, making GBS threads on a hobby* like that doesn't seem like the best way to get people agreeing with you.

I had a summer maintenance job at a factory with a guy just out of high school who was joining the Marines because "I hate school and they'll teach me to kill people" so that works on some people apparently.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Joining the army is a lot smarter then paying for a non-stem degree tbh. At least learning to kill is a growth industry.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But I'm fat and my eyesight sucks.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

bongwizzard posted:

Joining the army is a lot smarter then paying for a non-stem degree tbh. At least learning to kill is a growth industry.

I just buy the army suit(?) online along with those small metal doodads and pieces of cloth that you glue to it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Birthing happens through the mouth, right ladies?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

"That Xenomorph is so hot right now."

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

Birthing happens through the mouth, right ladies?

Their new clothing line is tapping into the heretofore neglected vore market.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

There was that year they had a big advertising push for the ADFA academy. Ads during the AFL grand final and everything. This is an academy where they reject you if you've ever done any sleep walking, have a wart on your knee, etc. I can't find any reference to it, but advertising cost divided by number of recruits was many thousands of dollars.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Don't slutshame, she's just giving a little head.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This current ADF ad always stands out to me, because it looks like that woman is there against her will. She does not look happy or comfortable with the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOu0HHmCD1M

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Choco1980 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the same commercial as the one they were running on TV. It was disingenuous as gently caress. Why yes, local store owner, I'm sure you chat with your customers all the time about fracing and came to the conclusion that it was perfectly safe! They would have been better off having a loving suit come on to talk about how great fracing is than something so patronizingly fake.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I like it.

It's provocative, colorful, and her lips look like the moistest turtleneck ever on him.

I wonder if they planned it this way or if the ad designers had to look at hundreds of pictures to find one where the lady's mouth was juuuuuuust big enough to accommodate the head.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Krispy Kareem posted:

I wonder if they planned it this way or if the ad designers had to look at hundreds of pictures to find one where the lady's mouth was juuuuuuust big enough to accommodate the head.

I'm not sure but I think that adult man's head might have been photoshopped into that human mouth.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

dads_work_files posted:

I'm not sure but I think that adult man's head might have been photoshopped into that human mouth.

I like how you specify adult man. Because baby heads make all the difference.

I was just musing whether the photographer directed her to open her mouth like she had a little man nestled comfortably against her pallet or if the ad designers had to search through stock images of ladies with their mouthes open.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Can anyone tell me what's up with subliminal commercials? Some have a normal commercial then flash something related to the commercial.

The enzyme ones (the pill that claims/lies to make your dick bigger) are standalone and sometimes saw them once per break?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I have to say I do love the Dear Kitten ads, even if I can't remember what the poo poo cat food it's for.

WTF is the man-in-woman's-mouth ad even for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

sassassin posted:

This is at least the second go-round of this style of ads, they did the whole "listen to your kids if they want to join the army" thing years ago. All I could think of was Ben Folds telling his dad he thought about joining the army and his dad said he was loving high (true story, not just a song).