Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's unheard of for an X-Files episode to aim for this level of scale AND reach the point where the in-universe public witnesses what's happening, which could have been a interesting game-changer. X-Files has usually shied away from letting episodes have tangible long-term consequences, opting instead for uncertain stakes and a stable status quo. But the Carterness of the execution just undermines the episode every step of the way. It's so boring and garbled.

There's just so much telling rather than showing, and the characters doing the telling leap from conclusion to conclusion in an unintelligible way. This has to have been the most obtuse possible way to film the story of a global pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This is definitely how I imagined the last episode of the X-Files would be. 40 minutes of boring exposition conversations and trying to figure out if it's supposed to be some kind of satire or if this was written by committee. Agent Einstein? How does a professional writer think it's a good idea to name a character that?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's unheard of for an X-Files episode to aim for this level of scale AND reach the point where the in-universe public witnesses what's happening, which could have been a interesting game-changer. X-Files has usually shied away from letting episodes have tangible long-term consequences, opting instead for uncertain stakes and a stable status quo. But the Carterness of the execution just undermines the episode every step of the way. It's so boring and garbled.

There's just so much telling rather than showing, and the characters doing the telling leap from conclusion to conclusion in an unintelligible way. This has to have been the most obtuse possible way to film the story of a global pandemic.

Yeah, it's just really weird to end a revival mini series that wasn't guaranteed another season (?) with a cliffhanger and 1000x more world-ending consequences than the whole colonisation mytharc put together. All based on plot beats only introduced in the last 40 minutes (80 if you count S10E01 I guess).

The whole thing felt like a Star Trek episode that gets so out of hand you just knew it was going to be resolved by a time travel reset button at the end. The fact that I'd be much happier with that kind of cop-out here instead of the alternatives says a lot about this episode.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Her name is Einstein so you know she's a scientist.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

mabels big day posted:

Is it?

Or is it so you know she's secretly part of the Jew conspiracy? :tinfoil:

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

mabels big day posted:

Special tramp Agent Einstein!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
What a bunch of cry babies - this was pure X-Files, distilled into 6 episodes. Like any other 80's icon, your sense of nostalgia is clouding your judgement - the X-File was never a great show. There were great episodes, but, like Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, the idea is way better than the execution. It was an enjoyable run and a worthy addition to the non-Doggett X-Files.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah that's the thing. 80's/90's fears were of an army of CIA (Or UN depending on what kind of :tinfoil: you wear) backed thugs would knock down our doors and lock us away for being "subversive" and to an extent those fears are still very real, however the big threat now is that no one needs jackbooted thugs, you already signed away your civil liberties when you didn't read the EULA.
This would have been awesome - Mulder confronts CSM about the Conspiracy, and CSM laughs and proceeds to tell Mulder about how they haven't had to actually work at anything for years - the power was freely given to them.

sticklefifer posted:

Like I said, O'Malley was a crackpot conspiracy theorist who believed everything, even beyond what Mulder believes. So when he latched onto a real conspiracy he added a bunch of paranoid bullshit like chemtrails and alien graffiti, while Scully had already long since proven it was the smallpox vaccination that spread it.
Yeah, the smallpox vaccination was the entry point, but O'Malley said that the activation came from the chemtrails and cellphone/microwave towers. But yeah, I'm sure it was still paranoid bullshit.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of doctors Chris Carter consulted with, but the smallpox vaccine hasn't seen action since 1972 (at least in the US.) As such, only people older than 45 should have been affected by Spartan.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jokes on you buddy, I watched the series for the first time last year, and that finale and Babylon were complete garbage. It's not the X-Files distilled. It's the X-Files meets crazy mentally ill youtubers. Making it about people killing people with virus' is the opposite of fun. Fun is "Aliens might come and destroy the worrrlllddd!!!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Aliens are pretty boring now though, it's like Mulder said in the Were-Monster episode.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
My wife and I thought all 6 episode were hot garbage, and it makes me wonder if what I consider the "golden age" of the show (up through the movie) was ever any good or I'm just nostalgic. The writing was all over the place, and the characterization shifted in every episode. Mulder's dry acerbic with was replaced with glib one-liners, and it's clear that Duchovny has no idea how to play the character anymore. You could almost see the phone he was using to phone it in. But really, I don't know what I expected from a 15-year-later revival. Like others have said, I can't seen this as anything other than a ridiculous cash grab for all involved. At least Gillian Anderson held out to be paid the same amount as Duchovny, so good for her.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
No, the first six seasons were legit good to very good with far better writing, acting, and everything than s10. People trying to say it's just nostalgia couldn't be more wrong.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ginette Reno posted:

No, the first six seasons were legit good to very good with far better writing, acting, and everything than s10. People trying to say it's just nostalgia couldn't be more wrong.

Agreed. I binge watched the entire series about 5 years ago and it's mostly really good for 6 seasons.

7-9 were blah

10 was legitimately bad overall. A couple of good moments and one really fun episode, but sheesh. That was some sloppy show-making.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ginette Reno posted:

Nah, you're purposefully downplaying this season. There are at least two, probably three episodes (I'm waffling on "Home Again") that would've been above average to all time greats in S10 had they been in the first six seasons.

I know this because I've been watching them for the first time over the past month.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The three non-Cris Carter episodes would feel right at home with the X Files best seasons. The three Cris Carter episodes are terrible and would feel right at home with the worst of seasons 8 and 9, where everybody stopped watching.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Nah, you're purposefully downplaying this season. There are at least two, probably three episodes (I'm waffling on "Home Again") that would've been above average to all time greats in S10 had they been in the first six seasons.

I know this because I've been watching them for the first time over the past month.

I agree that the highs of this season would fit right into classic X-files, but the lows are some of the lowest the show has ever seen. There are a very small handful of episodes from the original run that are as bad as the My Struggle I and II, and they were spread out over 9 seasons. If this were a full 22 episode season and these were the only poo poo episodes, fine. But the ratio here was bad and much worse than its ever been in the past.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I think Carter has joined the ranks of Lucas and Roddenberry as creators who are good at world building and setting tone, but should really leave the nitty gritty of plot, characterization and especially dialogue to other, more talented people.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

BrandonGK posted:

I think Carter has joined the ranks of Lucas and Roddenberry as creators who are good at world building and setting tone, but should really leave the nitty gritty of plot, characterization and especially dialogue to other, more talented people.

I noticed this in the finale quite a bit. Some of the dialogue sounded more like internal thoughts given a voice - especially when Mulder said "musings of a madman" - it's sounds like an internal realization that just gets plopped into awkward dialogue. It could work if it was Mulder talking to someone else about a madman, but it's such a weird way to say that to the actual madman.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

"As if we're not already in the dark" :downs:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

berzerkmonkey posted:

What a bunch of cry babies - this was pure X-Files, distilled into 6 episodes. Like any other 80's icon, your sense of nostalgia is clouding your judgement - the X-File was never a great show.

Nah, I never really watched it when it first was on. I think Postmodern Prometheus was the only episode I ever watched in the 90s.

I watched the whole thing until I gave up around the beginning of season 9 on Netflix, about 2-3 years ago.

This was objectively much worse, with a couple decent episodes and one very good one (the Were Monster). No nostalgia, just the truth.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Chris Carter episodes were all varying degrees of bad. The other three were fine to Great.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Enderzero posted:

I noticed this in the finale quite a bit. Some of the dialogue sounded more like internal thoughts given a voice - especially when Mulder said "musings of a madman" - it's sounds like an internal realization that just gets plopped into awkward dialogue. It could work if it was Mulder talking to someone else about a madman, but it's such a weird way to say that to the actual madman.

I thought it was a reference to musings of a smoking man because that is the only way it made sense, because yeah it was really awkward.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The Chris Carter episodes were all varying degrees of bad. The other three were fine to Great.

Agreed, but 50% bad is a high ratio even for this show (except seasons 8 and 9, that's par for the course then and why I couldn't finish the show).

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
The last two episodes were terrible.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
This season was the definition of a mixed bag but I don't care, I want more X Files. I hope they get twice as many episodes next season; a 12 episode season seems about perfect. It's me, I'm the worst fan.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
12 episodes would actually probably be a good amount if they have time to prepared for them, cause I imagine Carter would want about the same amount of episodes to do and so he would have less episodes overall.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

10-12 episodes would've been better even if he got an extra episode or two. I don't think My Struggle II would've been so bad if it hadn't been crammed into one regular length episode. Mulder being accosted, then going to and talking with CSM is the kind of thing that would have been its own episode at one point.

Speaking of, I'm still struggling with figuring out why the guy sent to offer Mulder life from his bio dad never bothered to say "I'm not here to fight you rear end in a top hat" instead of pulling a gun at the first opportunity.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

12 episodes would be a much better count, but given Duchovny and Anderson's schedules they'll likely have to stick to half of that. Carter seems keen on doing a mix of mytharc and motw going by all the interviews he's given, so a serialized season is also out of the question.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
The 6th episode was terrible, but the 5th one still wins the crown of dogshit by a god drat mile. I can't believe how they even decided to air that one.

Batham fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 24, 2016

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
During the "Previously on X-Files" bit at the beginning I think they literally say "Alien DNA" like 8 or 9 times in less than a minute, I was loving laughing out loud before the episode even started.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Chris Carter posted:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The episode explained how William B. Davis’ Smoking Man survived the explosive 2002 series finale. How did you decide on bringing him back that way?

CHRIS CARTER: I liked the idea that he was burned almost to death, yet survived somehow. Like the Devil himself, he can’t be burned by his own fire. It was a surprising, but not incredible, way to bring him back.

Yeah I'm not sure "not incredible" would be the term you want for a sickly dude who got a missile to the face

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I love in a series with super soldiers, dna manipulation, shape shifters, and weird science experiments the best Chris Carter could come up with for bringing CSM back to life was "he just got burned really badly"

Its really funny

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Babylon became extra disappointing for me when I remembered how shady the FBI can be about breaking up "terror plots". Even the less ridiculous conspiracies about the Boston Bombing could be the foundation of an episode.

Instead we got a boring and racist episode. Even a straight forward false-flag twist would have been a bit better and an excuse to reintroduce TAD O'MALLEY before the last episode.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Yeah apart from the Shrooms scene that episode was pretty weak. God drat good scene though.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
After having digested the finale some more, I can say that my final opinion on this season would be that we had a great episode (you know which one), two rather good episodes (alien kids and Trashman), two "eh" episodes (the Kampfs), and one garbage bin episode (Babylon).

All in all, not nearly as bad as this sort of revival could have gone, though I will admit I'm kind of nervous about how the series is going to move on with the fallout of something as life-altering as a global pandemic.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Guest characters completely wasted:
Skinner
Langley
Byers
Frohike
CSM

Plot threads that went nowhere:
Super baby William
Scully's dead mom has secrets
Super secret scientists surreptitiously salvage secret saucer
Scully <3 Tad

Seriously, how do you bring the Gunmen back and give them zero lines? It's honestly kind of impressive how bad Carter's writing has gotten.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, Super baby William will be needed for the STEM CELLS, so he was set up for the next (mini)-season.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Super baby william could have just been setup in the finale, you don't spend time setting up something throughout the season for the reveal to be "oh hey now are going to go get that guy, but not in this episode"

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cybershell posted:

During the "Previously on X-Files" bit at the beginning I think they literally say "Alien DNA" like 8 or 9 times in less than a minute, I was loving laughing out loud before the episode even started.

I'm going through season two and any time they mention alien DNA, which isn't often, but happens sometimes, is now just funny to me.

Also, I cannot believe that I didn't instantly realize the first and last episodes were Mein Kampf. Like, holy poo poo, Chris Carter.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is MindQuad some kind of reference to something? It sounds familiar. Was it that pilot with Jack Black on a motorcycle from a long time ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's no way Agent Einstein got a smallpox vaccine. They quit that poo poo in the 70s.

• Locked thread