Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

vyst posted:

Only turbo nerds get really salty about touch wiz. It's perfectly serviceable and now as of my galaxy s6 edge the only unmodifiable part of it is the lock screen.

My major problems with it are that it adds a bunch of non-removable stuff to the notification drawer and that it majorly slows down updates. I do think those 2 things matter. I agree with your general point though, it has gotten way better over the years.

Speaking of, how is Samsung doing keeping up with the security updates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

Speaking of, how is Samsung doing keeping up with the security updates?

My Note 5's "Android security patch level" is 2015-11-01

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
I just got my first Android (Moto X Pure running 6.0 with November Security Update). 16GB, 64GB MicroSD card

There any must-have things I should be looking out for? I'm looking forward to playing with the new shiny :)

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did they really skip over the Note 5? smdh. I thought I just saw January go out for a bunch of models.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/01/25/samsung-is-rolling-out-its-january-security-patch-to-major-flagship-models/

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

T-Mobiles Note 5 at December patchlevel. Going straight to 6.0 with February patch level here is probably a pretty good bet at this point.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

My galaxy s6 edge is at the same security level

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Can carriers gently caress with the security update deployment? If so, Rogers probably did.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Just ordered the Samsung S7. Will be nice to be off Windows phone and actually be able to use my phone with... Well pretty much anything, since Windows has a pathetic amount of support when it comes to just about everything.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Phuzun posted:

Just ordered the Samsung S7. Will be nice to be off Windows phone and actually be able to use my phone with... Well pretty much anything, since Windows has a pathetic amount of support when it comes to just about everything.

Same here...I preordered the S7 as well. I'm pretty excited, since this will be my first truly new phone :) I am upgrading from a S4 that I got preowned.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 24, 2016

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
What I like about the S7 is that it's in some ways the whole kitchen sink, but still a good, premium phone unlike the S5. All the features, none of the compromise. Well, you compromise having a (very very slightly) thicker phone, but for the same size battery that's in my Note 5.

I like my bigger phone, thankfully, but both of Samsung's new phones are very impressive just as good, refined phones. You can definitely see them riding the road to being as profitable as they were in the S3 days.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

BottleKnight posted:

What I like about the S7 is that it's in some ways the whole kitchen sink, but still a good, premium phone unlike the S5. All the features, none of the compromise. Well, you compromise having a (very very slightly) thicker phone, but for the same size battery that's in my Note 5.

I like my bigger phone, thankfully, but both of Samsung's new phones are very impressive just as good, refined phones. You can definitely see them riding the road to being as profitable as they were in the S3 days.

Yeah, I've seen them get some flack for being boring compared to the G5, but it's a respectable iteration on the S6 design. They're focusing more on functionality than specs, so the megapixel count is lower but the camera itself is better, and the phone is thicker but in exchnge we get a better battery, which is something people have been begging for for years now. A replaceable battery would be nice, but in every other respect it's exactly what I want.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can carriers gently caress with the security update deployment? If so, Rogers probably did.

If Rogers can gently caress something up or screw over their subscribers, rest assured that they will.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

vyst posted:

Only turbo nerds get really salty about touch wiz. It's perfectly serviceable and now as of my galaxy s6 edge the only unmodifiable part of it is the lock screen.

Does it still poo poo up the notification area with stuff you can't dismiss like NFC and that Eye tracking icon?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lowen SoDium posted:

Does it still poo poo up the notification area with stuff you can't dismiss like NFC and that Eye tracking icon?

Pretty sure you've been able to dismiss those for some time, now. I disabled them from showing up in the notification area/quick toggle bar on my s4 running the official lollipop update last summer sooooo

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So the Xiaomi Mi5 was announced and it's got some pretty awesome specs:

Snapdragon 820.
4 GB of RAM.
128 GB of Storage
(for the Pro version)
5.15″ 1080p LED Screen
Front-facing fingerprint sensor on the home button
16 MP Camera (IMX298) with OIS
4 MP front facing camera
3000 mAh Battery
USB C with Quick Charging 3.0
NFC
Color options: White, Gold, Black

There is going to be 3 versions and the estimated price is pretty awesome:

$300 (32GB/3GB)
$350 (64GB/3GB)
$410 (128GB/4GB)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GSM carriers, only. I'm guessing.

I wonder how Verizon and Sprint are going to react when that all-in-one LTE chip hits the market.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

AlexDeGruven posted:

I wonder how Verizon and Sprint are going to react when that all-in-one LTE chip hits the market.

Which one is that?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lblitzer posted:

Snapdragon 820.
4 GB of RAM.
128 GB of Storage
(for the Pro version)
5.15″ 1080p LED Screen
4 MP front facing camera
3000 mAh Battery
NFC

$300 (32GB/3GB)
$350 (64GB/3GB)
$410 (128GB/4GB)

Yeah, but how good is their skin? It sounds like they push their Miui store over the Play store, which is troublesome.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

nimper posted:

Which one is that?

Qualcomm press release:

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2016/02/11/qualcomm-announces-mobile-industrys-first-gigabit-class-lte-modem

Qualcomm posted:

In addition to the advanced connectivity feature sets, the new modem and transceiver support Snapdragon All Mode, including all major cellular technologies (LTE FDD, LTE TDD, WCDMA, TD-SCDMA, EV-DO, CDMA 1x, and GSM/EDGE), frequency bands, Carrier Aggregation band combinations, LTE dual SIM, LTE Broadcast, HD and Ultra HD Voice over LTE (VoLTE) with single radio voice call continuity to 3G and 2G.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

AlexDeGruven posted:

GSM carriers, only. I'm guessing.

Doesn't the 808/810 already do that? As proven by the 5X/6P?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Ended up buying the Moto X Style and holy poo poo, I'm in love. The screen is a bit too big for my taste but I'm loving this phone.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

orange sky posted:

Ended up buying the Moto X Style and holy poo poo, I'm in love. The screen is a bit too big for my taste but I'm loving this phone.

You'll get used to it but if you're gonna put a case on it, get it ASAP or you'll have to get used to the still bigger phone haha

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Shinino Kage posted:

I just got my first Android (Moto X Pure running 6.0 with November Security Update). 16GB, 64GB MicroSD card

There any must-have things I should be looking out for? I'm looking forward to playing with the new shiny :)
Congratulations, you bought the best phone. You'll want to format the SD card as "internal storage" first and foremost, since it forces you to erase the card anyway. And get a quality (Samsung) UHS-1 card, not some lovely generic one.

Also set up Moto Gestures, Moto Voice and Moto Actions because they are what really makes the phone stand apart from the rest.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 24, 2016

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Doesn't the 808/810 already do that? As proven by the 5X/6P?

Are the modems all integrated like the X16? I didn't look that far into the 810/820 stuff because I'm not in the market, just noticed that when I saw the article spin by.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Syrinxx posted:

Also set up Moto Gestures, Moto Voice and Moto Actions because they are what really makes the phone stand apart from the rest.

This can't be repeated enough. Between the active display and the gestures it's obvious why Google bought Motorola. The only bad thing I am finding is that the twist-camera function is locked to the Moto camera app and not able to be changed. It takes good pictures but I really prefer a separate shutter button on the screen and tap-autofocus, rather than dragging the focal point around and then tapping anywhere on the screen to shoot. It just feels weird and makes me constantly worry whether the focus is right. YMMV on that.

You missed one other thing that makes the phone stand out though - the custom backplate materials. I've gotten a few "hey cool phone case, where can I get a case like that" questions to which I get to reply "It's not a case, that's the actual phone :smug:" and it never gets old. Granted, I have the bamboo backplate so people with plain ol' rubber might not get noticed.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lblitzer posted:

Snapdragon 820.
4 GB of RAM.
128 GB of Storage
(for the Pro version)
5.15″ 1080p LED Screen
4 MP front facing camera
3000 mAh Battery
NFC

$300 (32GB/3GB)
$350 (64GB/3GB)
$410 (128GB/4GB)

Is it still going to be based on KitKat?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AlexDeGruven posted:

We already have truly universal phones on the market with the 5x, 6p, and Moto X Pure and they all work on both of those carriers.

The challenge is getting the manufacturers to actually not create carrier variants rather than getting then to work on the carriers.

There's no reason that both the G5 and S7 couldn't have been carrier agnostic. However, larger manufacturers value their carrier relationship above what's best for the customer.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

This can't be repeated enough. Between the active display and the gestures it's obvious why Google bought Motorola.
Actually just for their patents.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Tunga posted:

Actually just for their patents.

Which have done gently caress all for them being almost entirely FRAND and not terribly expensive to license even if you were infringing.

But they got to turn an OEM around and set them on a less self destructive path, so that much was good!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FAUXTON posted:

It takes good pictures but I really prefer a separate shutter button on the screen and tap-autofocus, rather than dragging the focal point around and then tapping anywhere on the screen to shoot. It just feels weird and makes me constantly worry whether the focus is right. YMMV on that.

You can and probably should be using the vol-down button to take pictures.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I need a new phone with bigger storage. I have a 16gb Xperia Z3 right now which I like in all respects except the storage. I'd also like to get a phone that can use one of them new fangled camera APIs to spit out RAW files. I juggle a few Instagram accounts for work and unfortunately that piece of garbage app regularly takes up almost a gig in cache alone so at least 32gb is crucial.

Also I'm in Canada so my choices are limited. Any recommendations would help.

Thanks!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Geektox posted:

I need a new phone with bigger storage. I have a 16gb Xperia Z3 right now which I like in all respects except the storage. I'd also like to get a phone that can use one of them new fangled camera APIs to spit out RAW files. I juggle a few Instagram accounts for work and unfortunately that piece of garbage app regularly takes up almost a gig in cache alone so at least 32gb is crucial.

Also I'm in Canada so my choices are limited. Any recommendations would help.

Thanks!

Are you on the 6.0 Concept Rom? I've got the Compact but I used my sd card as internal storage and it is awesome. If not, I'd recommend getting the Concept Rom because it is awesome as well.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
http://displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm

Dat screen

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Lblitzer posted:

Are you on the 6.0 Concept Rom? I've got the Compact but I used my sd card as internal storage and it is awesome. If not, I'd recommend getting the Concept Rom because it is awesome as well.

I appreciate the response but I've long lost interest in flashing ROMs and rooting and all that jazz. Nothing against people who like that kinda thing since I used to as well but I just don't have the time for it anymore and I need my phone to work without having to worry about backing up and restoring all the time.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Geektox posted:

I appreciate the response but I've long lost interest in flashing ROMs and rooting and all that jazz. Nothing against people who like that kinda thing since I used to as well but I just don't have the time for it anymore and I need my phone to work without having to worry about backing up and restoring all the time.

Honestly I am tired of even rooting now but getting the Concept rom is just downloading an official Windows application from Sony and clicking "Install Software". It is super painless and really worth it imo. There is another goon running the Concept rom and will stand behind it.

Honestly it is easier to do all that than it would be to upgrade to a new phone but even then you're worry about backing it up as many times as installing that rom.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can and probably should be using the vol-down button to take pictures.

I still want to tap to focus though. The volume button doesn't have two stages where I can press it halfway to focus, which would be my next preference.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Phuzun posted:

Disco Salmon posted:

Same here...I preordered the S7 as well. I'm pretty excited, since this will be my first truly new phone :) I am upgrading from a S4 that I got preowned.
I'm pretty close to preordering the S7, just because of the wacky accessories.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
That lens accessory looks like it attaches via a mandatory leather back case.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I have a Droid Turbo and am thinking about the S7, I really want the fingerprint unlock and the Samsung Pay. Someone talk me out of pre-ordering one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The Charm looks neat. I wouldn't mind a simple watch like device that lasts weeks on a charge with time/notifications. Though I'll likely just save my money for a running watch. Was considering the Gear S2 since I'll get a deal on that, though I've found nothing to support it being a good running watch and the battery is pathetic. So I'm thinking I'll get a Garmin or Polar watch.

Certainly a nice idea though. Something subtle and stylish that you could wear to be aware of messages without rudely pulling out your phone.