Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One day we'll get to the bottom of IRQs irrational hatred of us lovable Welsh rogues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I kinda wanna make a Girls S5/Togetherness S2 joint thread but I don't know if there's even a point in having the Togetherness part because I literally know 0 other people who watch it

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Escobarbarian posted:

Wow that X-Files cliffhanger sounds totally pathetic

That entire episode may as well have been Chris Carter just giving the camera the double bird for an hour straight.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Escobarbarian posted:

I kinda wanna make a Girls S5/Togetherness S2 joint thread

God kills an adorable innocent puppy everytime someone makes a dumb combo thread

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Combo threads get moaned about a lot, but I'm pretty sure Less Laughter is the sole person who moans so based on that: do it.

I've kept meaning to watch Togetherness but never had the time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EL BROMANCE posted:

One day we'll get to the bottom of IRQs irrational hatred of us lovable Welsh rogues.

I think we've cracked it

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Escobarbarian posted:

I kinda wanna make a Girls S5/Togetherness S2 joint thread but I don't know if there's even a point in having the Togetherness part because I literally know 0 other people who watch it

I'd recommend the opposite; the Togetherness thread has the potential to not be lovely (unlike how I feel watching that show), but we all know how Girls chat goes around here. I certainly wouldn't try pairing a Girls thread with anything for that reason alone.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Escobarbarian posted:

I came looking for a Girls thread as I just watched the first episode and I thought it was actually good and not in last years Ray and a bunch of hateful people way, it was actually nice, which was refreshing. Last year there were only like five people who really posted in the Girls thread. I've never even heard of Togetherness.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
How about this...make a thread for Girls but ban anybody who posts in it.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I dont think last years thread went bad but that was mainly because all the characters (except Ray) were actually written as awful people so when people accused them of being awful it was because they were actually awful and everyone could see that not just because of people and what they think of Lena Dunham.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

zoux posted:

I'm late to the party but, whoa the Expanse.

I can't think of another show that was as hard scifi as this, I'm mad for it.

People who watched the show without reading the books: were you confused at all? I read the books and it seemed to me that people brand new to the story might be at sea.

I know, right? I fell hard in love with it. The character work isn't the greatest in the early going, but the worldbuilding is second to fuckin' none.
also Miller owns, Thomas Jane plays the hell out of him. I just love this super-noir detective placed in the middle of a hard sci-fi space opera.

It's going to be brutal waiting until next year for more. Hopefully they get a longer episode order for season 2. it'd allow them to tell more story while maintaining the deliberate, atmospheric pacing I loved so much (rocketing through plot is NOT the only right way for a genre show).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

zoux posted:

I'm late to the party but, whoa the Expanse.

I can't think of another show that was as hard scifi as this, I'm mad for it.

People who watched the show without reading the books: were you confused at all? I read the books and it seemed to me that people brand new to the story might be at sea.

so I just started watching the expanse because of this post, and because I really needed something to watch and goddamn it's fantastic. I'm in love, seriously.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Season 2 of the Expanse is 13 episodes.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I'm loving the Appalachia-Punk aesthetic of The Outsiders on WGN. It's a bit overacted and goofy at times but it's still a neat setting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So far "Home Again" (ep4) of the X-Files is the best. It feels the most like an episode of X-Files. The third episode was pretty entertaining, but it didn't feel like X-Files.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

so I just started watching the expanse because of this post, and because I really needed something to watch and goddamn it's fantastic. I'm in love, seriously.

I just finished it it's soooo goooooood. It's arguably the best single season of a scifi show, and that's with me knowing all the plot points beforehand. I love the attention to detail, it's amazing world building.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Snak posted:

So far "Home Again" (ep4) of the X-Files is the best. It feels the most like an episode of X-Files. The third episode was pretty entertaining, but it didn't feel like X-Files.

The third episode felt a lot like the writers other X-files episodes such as Jose Chung's From Outer Space, War of the Coprophages, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose or Humbug

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
okay fine I'll watch The Expanse

four eps behind on B99 and I'm like "hm should I keep watching this" and then the cold open of the next ep is Andy Samberg being wacky and falling over on a hoverboard. You're really testing me, show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

The third episode felt a lot like the writers other X-files episodes such as Jose Chung's From Outer Space, War of the Coprophages, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose or Humbug

Kinda, but also not. Mulder felt totally out of character for the whole thing. I don't have a problem with comedy episodes of X-Files, those are some of the best, but it didn't feel like X-Files to me. It was a good episode though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

okay fine I'll watch The Expanse

four eps behind on B99 and I'm like "hm should I keep watching this" and then the cold open of the next ep is Andy Samberg being wacky and falling over on a hoverboard. You're really testing me, show.

FYI I disagree with your TV opinions all the time so we may have different tastes! Don't hold me accountable if you don't like it!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If this show sucks I'm gonna come to your house and beat you up

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

If this show sucks I'm gonna come to your house and beat you up

I will say it is pretty, ah, deliberately paced and it does that sink-or-swim drop the audience in media res into the middle of the world with no explanation thing that sci fi books love to do.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was already interested in it from the positive buzz when the pilot was first released, but I just kinda forgot about it. I'm not usually a sci-fi fan but it definitely sounds like more of my kind of thing than any show in the genre since BSG.

B99 update: Bradley Whitford is so perfect as Jake's dad that it's won me over again temporarily edit AND NOW DAMON WAYANS JR IS HERE YAY

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 24, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

I just finished it it's soooo goooooood. It's arguably the best single season of a scifi show, and that's with me knowing all the plot points beforehand. I love the attention to detail, it's amazing world building.

Yes! There are other people watching this show besides me!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

zoux posted:

I will say it is pretty, ah, deliberately paced and it does that sink-or-swim drop the audience in media res into the middle of the world with no explanation thing that sci fi books love to do.

As someone that primarily read cerebral sci-fi and detective fiction growing up, absolutely none of that bothered me, but it could and apparently does bother people who have expectations of crazy-fast moving plots due to recent pacing conventions in genre shows.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Yes! There are other people watching this show besides me!

Bro the internet is mad fer this show.

Spatula City posted:

As someone that primarily read cerebral sci-fi and detective fiction growing up, absolutely none of that bothered me, but it could and apparently does bother people who have expectations of crazy-fast moving plots due to recent pacing conventions in genre shows.

Yeah I'm a hard sci fi reader from way back and I love poo poo in the show like no artificial gravity and how punishing acceleration can be. Usually actual hard scifi elements are taken out of stuff for movies and TV because, well, physics and math are scary, so I was glad to see all the "realistic" space stuff in the show.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

Bro the internet is mad fer this show.

Guess I should look into the Expanse tviv thread....

I don't know a single person who watched it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Guess I should look into the Expanse tviv thread....

It's chock full of book spoilers.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yeah I'm a hard sci fi reader from way back and I love poo poo in the show like no artificial gravity and how punishing acceleration can be. Usually actual hard scifi elements are taken out of stuff for movies and TV because, well, physics and math are scary, so I was glad to see all the "realistic" space stuff in the show.

Okay I'm sold. No one told me there were hard scifi elements in the show.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

It's chock full of book spoilers.

Are the books good and does the show follow the books?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

I've not read all the books, just the first 2.5, and they get kind of sprawling because it was expanded from a planned trilogy to a uh, nonology, and POV characters appear and disappear. But the show is dead the gently caress on to the first book at least, they make some changes, add some characters, move them around and such. But Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, the authors, are EPs on the show so any changes made seem to be blessed by the creators.

It's an incredible adaption.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Yes and yes. The changes made to the show make sense for the change in medium, and the authors are involved with the show heavily. In a sense it's a do-over for some story elements that could potentially need tweaking.

Season 1 of the show is about 60-70% of book 1.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Snak posted:

Kinda, but also not. Mulder felt totally out of character for the whole thing. I don't have a problem with comedy episodes of X-Files, those are some of the best, but it didn't feel like X-Files to me. It was a good episode though.

Would you say he acted more like...Kolchak?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

Would you say he acted more like...Kolchak?

I haven't actually watched any Kolchak. I caught half an episode of the Night Stalker remake on tv once, prompting me to look it up. I was aware of Kolchak before that from being a nerd, but I never watched it.

I would say he acted more like his character from Californication.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I haven't read any of the expanse books and I found it relatively easy to follow?

The only thing that really confused me was the fact that I didn't know what OPA stood for until like episode 8 or so. But seriously, great show, marathoned it today and yesterday, very excited for season 2.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

I've not read all the books, just the first 2.5, and they get kind of sprawling because it was expanded from a planned trilogy to a uh, nonology, and POV characters appear and disappear. But the show is dead the gently caress on to the first book at least, they make some changes, add some characters, move them around and such. But Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, the authors, are EPs on the show so any changes made seem to be blessed by the creators.

It's an incredible adaption.

Tortolia posted:

Yes and yes. The changes made to the show make sense for the change in medium, and the authors are involved with the show heavily. In a sense it's a do-over for some story elements that could potentially need tweaking.

Season 1 of the show is about 60-70% of book 1.

Sweet, well I know what books I'm getting with my next paycheck. Thanks.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Snak posted:

I haven't actually watched any Kolchak. I caught half an episode of the Night Stalker remake on tv once, prompting me to look it up. I was aware of Kolchak before that from being a nerd, but I never watched it.

I would say he acted more like his character from Californication.

I've seen very little of it too actually, but that script was an aborted episode of the recent Stuart Townshend Kolchak show that lasted all of like 7 episodes.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
The only bad thing about The Expanse is Thomas Jane's dumb haircut.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You mean the best thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Sweet, well I know what books I'm getting with my next paycheck. Thanks.

From what I hear the writing is pretty bad, so only get them if that doesnt bother you

• Locked thread