Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SourKraut posted:

There, I fixed that for you.

Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with the design - just dated and thick. I never liked how the corners of the palmrest felt.

Now the original MacBook Pro, I never liked how that thing was built. didn't like the keyboard, it was creaky, hard to take apart, wasn't real solid...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The biggest barrier for the rMB in my opinion is the single USB-C port. If there were just one more rMB owners wouldn't have to go hunting for lovely AIO docks and pass-through power support all the time.

It wasn't until after CES this year that there are now USB-C docks that offer charging pass-through, USB, and HDMI video.

But since this is a nascent market there are niggling little gotchas with each one. A few common factors seem to be:

Dongle dangle - units that don't sit flush to the side of the rMB have to be connected with a USB-C cable, increasing amount of desk or seat tray real estate required to use the device

Overheating - all the units shipping seem to suffer from this, especially if moving large amounts of data

The Scotty Factor - some units need MOAR POWER to keep USB devices on the chain, other units simply just won't work with devices needing MOAR POWER like Apple's USB SuperDrive.

Here's a extremely non-official roundup of what's available at the moment, I only bothered to include units with passthrough power ports as it seems ridiculous to me to not be able to charge your rMB while using functions guaranteed to gobble up battery power:

The Minix Neo C, which was the dock that The Verge was coming in its pants over, is rather expensive ($90 on Amazon) especially for a product from a H.K. based company, seems to boast a decent set of features- 4K HDMI at 30Hz, two USB ports, one Gigabit Ethernet port, and one USB-C power passthrough port, one TF (newfangled name for MicroSD I guess) and one SD card port. It is reported to charge the rMB slowly when using Apple's 29W USB-C Power Adapter.

Pros: has pretty much every port you'd want, only one other dock (MacSales) has video and Gigabit Ethernet at a higher price
Cons: expensive, bulky, dongle dangle, Scotty Factor, some reports that some features don't work simultaneously, ports are jiggly (main plug to rMB USB-C port fits too loosely, insert one device, others drop off chain), Ethernet requires third party driver install

OWC's USB-C dock, costs $159, the most expensive, is arguably the gold standard of rMB docks at the moment with HDMI, SD, standard 3.5mm headphone jack, 3 USB ports, one dedicated charging port for devices, and provides full charging power to the rMB with a custom 80W adapter.

Pros: has the most ports, probably the fastest charging of the docks
Cons: the most expensive, bulky, dongle dangle, requires third party driver for Ethernet

Anker's USB-C dock is only $60 from Amazon, offers two USB ports, one HDMI port and one USB pass-through power port. This is probably the best basic USB-C dock that goons will flock to because it's built solidly and most won't need Ethernet, and it passes through 24W out of 29W when using the Apple 29W adapter.

Pros: decent price, all the ports you'd probably want
Cons: dongle dangle, Scotty Factor, only provides 1 Amp of power to both USB ports total, charging is possible

The Satechi USB-C dock only costs $45 from Amazon and provides power, 2 USB ports, and SD/micro SD slots. This one is probably your best bet for a basic, no frills dock for people who don't need video out or wired networking that still provides charging and the barest basic features. It sits flush with the rMB.

Pros: pretty decent price, no dongle dangle as it sits flush against the rMB side
Cons: only basic USB and SD card connectivity, Scotty factor, and can't be used with most plastic shells for the rMB because of how it needs to sit flush to the rMB

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 22, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also, the minimum I'd recommend:

This adapter for $13 on Amazon, gives you one USB A port and the ability to charge the laptop simultaneously. That's IT.

Also it only passes through 14W from your original 29W Apple USB-C charger, so it's more of a "at least I won't LOSE any charge while doing this" adapter..

Until more efficient chipsets come out, this will probably be what rMB owners will have to deal with for the foreseeable future.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

I never liked how the corners of the palmrest felt.

How did the retina design fix that? It still has that sharp edge.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CygnusTM posted:

How did the retina design fix that? It still has that sharp edge.

So does the Air. But the edge being a lot lower makes a difference.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a place I can get a US 2 prong AC cord for my MBA 2011 (L connector, 45w) magsafe adapter? And the duckhead too, if possible (although not as essential)? I don't trust the ones on Amazon to be the legit thing, and Apple don't seem to have them for sale separately.

At worst, I'm guessing some people here will probably have old dead adapters that have been replaced but have working AC cables at least as that's not the end that tends to break.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there a place I can get a US 2 prong AC cord for my MBA 2011 (L connector, 45w) magsafe adapter? And the duckhead too, if possible (although not as essential)? I don't trust the ones on Amazon to be the legit thing, and Apple don't seem to have them for sale separately.

At worst, I'm guessing some people here will probably have old dead adapters that have been replaced but have working AC cables at least as that's not the end that tends to break.

The prongs and duckheads are just electrical passthrough so there's not really anything to worry about unless their lovely aesthetics bother you.

You can even just plug a regular figure 8 cable into it if you want.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

EL BROMANCE posted:

Try going to an Apple store and asking, last time I did this they just gave me one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FCKGW posted:

The prongs and duckheads are just electrical passthrough so there's not really anything to worry about unless their lovely aesthetics bother you.

You can even just plug a regular figure 8 cable into it if you want.

Yeah, I was going to do exactly that in the meantime or just use one of my converter plugs (I just don't like using those things, they're cheap and nasty usually). Just nice to have the real cord, that's all.

Phantom Limb posted:

Try going to an Apple store and asking, last time I did this they just gave me one.

Ha, that's a good idea. Cheers.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Luceo posted:

It was, actually. When we came back to pick up the iPhone they had some issue with the building or their POS system and were closing down the store, but that all happened after my appointment.

And here's the real problem. I should be able to schedule this ahead of time for same-day service. At the least they should have a tech dedicated to the quick issues so that twenty logic board swaps don't delay a battery swap. But no, I'm the rear end in a top hat for expecting better from Apple.

I know we have all decided that Luceo merits pooping on, but as someone who moved from Chandler AZ to Glen Allen VA yeah, the Short Pump Apple Store is poo poo, poo poo, poo poo, but not necessarily due to anything they are doing wrong. Tons of yuppies thinking they merit more attention than they really do plus living in the yuppy West End means a retail experience of noveu riche assholes who demand the best. We get a trickle of NOVA assholes AND the "best" of the metro Richmond area.

In conclusion, death to capitalism. But seriously, my opinion of Apple went down based on that store. It is that bad.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have a question I think is dumb, because it seems too good to be true, but I want to ask.

I'm thinking about buying a new MacBook Pro, and I have some business trips to Canada upcoming. With the Canadian dollar weak against the US, would buying it in Canada yield me a pretty big discount? Or do they just charge more Canadian dollars vs US dollars? If they do, is it still worth it?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Krakkles posted:

I have a question I think is dumb, because it seems too good to be true, but I want to ask.

I'm thinking about buying a new MacBook Pro, and I have some business trips to Canada upcoming. With the Canadian dollar weak against the US, would buying it in Canada yield me a pretty big discount? Or do they just charge more Canadian dollars vs US dollars? If they do, is it still worth it?
Going by the baseline price of $2449CAD for the 15" base model MBP, it'd be the equivalent of ~$1770USD if you bought it while you were there. The same model is $1999USD on the Apple store so yeah, it'd be theoretically cheaper.

I don't know how sales tax works in Canada and if it's applied to online purchases but I guess if it's less than 10% it's still effectively cheaper. If the online prices already include sales tax then yes, it's quite a bit cheaper.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mercurius posted:

Going by the baseline price of $2449CAD for the 15" base model MBP, it'd be the equivalent of ~$1770USD if you bought it while you were there. The same model is $1999USD on the Apple store so yeah, it'd be theoretically cheaper.

I don't know how sales tax works in Canada and if it's applied to online purchases but I guess if it's less than 10% it's still effectively cheaper. If the online prices already include sales tax then yes, it's quite a bit cheaper.

Some provinces have 5% sales tax and some have up to 15%. Where are you going? Alberta is cheapest afaik.

You have to be careful about duty as well if you're staying for less than a week, though I'm sure you can fib about a laptop if it's your only one and/or they don't search you or ask.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bob Morales posted:

Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with the design - just dated and thick. I never liked how the corners of the palmrest felt.
I'm not crazy about the corners, but I like that I could pick it up along its centerline with one hand and not feel as if I was causing it to warp enough to cause damage. I definitely pick up my rMBP with both hands as I can feel it begin to flex otherwise. And I usually use a keyboard with either along with a MX Revolution so the palmrest doesn't see much action.

Turnquiet posted:

I know we have all decided that Luceo merits pooping on, but as someone who moved from Chandler AZ to Glen Allen VA yeah, the Short Pump Apple Store is poo poo, poo poo, poo poo, but not necessarily due to anything they are doing wrong.
The Chandler Apple Store is actually the one I go to (I live in Gilbert and technically the Santan Village store is closer but I've been going to the Chandler store for years now so eh, I keep going there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Morales posted:

Now the original MacBook Pro, I never liked how that thing was built. didn't like the keyboard, it was creaky, hard to take apart, wasn't real solid...

I personally think that Apple's beveled unibody aesthetic looks great and has continued to mature well over the years since the original unibody MBP and aluminum iMac debuted almost a decade ago.

That said, I hate how much of a nick and dent magnet those sharp corners are, to the point where I was kinda disappointed that Apple chose to carry on those features in the new MacBook.

I'd personally love to see Apple translate the iPhone 6 aesthetic to the Mac- something rounded like the final version of the old white polycarbonate MacBook.

Now that USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 are a single, narrow form factor, they could make that sort of design a lot thinner.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That said, I hate how much of a nick and dent magnet those sharp corners are, to the point where I was kinda disappointed that Apple chose to carry on those features in the new MacBook.

I don't understand how people gently caress the corners of those things up so bad :iiam:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bob Morales posted:

I don't understand how people gently caress the corners of those things up so bad :iiam:

It's easy to drop poo poo, people are clumsy, and sometimes people walk into things. Accidents happen.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

mediaphage posted:

It's easy to drop poo poo, people are clumsy, and sometimes people walk into things. Accidents happen.

Yep. Also aside from being ugly most of the time when you do that to a corner it still closes fine. As long as the impact didn't gently caress anything inside you're good to go still. The right hand non-hinge corner on my 2009 MBP is like that from falling out of a bag, and has been for something like the last 3 years. If you carry a laptop around every day you've got to expect that it's going to pick up some dings and nicks along the way.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

just replaced the SuperDrive with my old HDD.
Not too difficult but the antenna array at the top was a pain in the rear end to move out of the way.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I broke that loving clip by mistake and just taped it down. #yolo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

And shock horror it actually works!

I forgot how drat loud the HDD is though 💀

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

Apple recently raised prices in Canada due to the weak dollar. When you take into account the sales tax on top of that, it may not be a great deal even after the currency exchanges. However it does depend on which province you are visiting, as mentioned.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I have a dent to my Air in the corner like that after a flight I took. It's in a more padded bag now.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tuyop posted:

Some provinces have 5% sales tax and some have up to 15%. Where are you going? Alberta is cheapest afaik.

You have to be careful about duty as well if you're staying for less than a week, though I'm sure you can fib about a laptop if it's your only one and/or they don't search you or ask.
British Columbia, Vancouver specifically.

Chris Knight posted:

Apple recently raised prices in Canada due to the weak dollar. When you take into account the sales tax on top of that, it may not be a great deal even after the currency exchanges. However it does depend on which province you are visiting, as mentioned.
If it's not a noticeable difference, it probably won't be worth it to me - the convenience of doing it at home is worth some, but if I can save a couple hundred, it may be worth the effort.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I have a lovely little pinhole scratch right in the middle of my 6 month old macbook pro. Rainbow colored. Ode to joy

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Krakkles posted:

British Columbia, Vancouver specifically.

Nothing is cheap in BC. It's even more expensive in Van. I hope you have lots of money.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/16/02/24/killer-deals-apples-13-macbook-pro-27ghz-8gb-256gb-for-1329-128gb-ipad-pros-for-869

Good deals on MBPs trying to get me to not wait 3 more weeks.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm glad you said this - I think I'll wait for the new ones.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

I imagine sometimes the part of Tim Cook that is fanatical about secrecy about new products fights with the part that hates unsold inventory.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
How much will I hate doing front end dev on a 13" screen? Especially since I've always used the 15" MBP. Also some design work. Was going to max out the RAM.

I'm also thinking of getting a nice monitor with the savings from not buying the 15". I had an iMac but want to be more portable this time around.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 25, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cheese eats mouse posted:

How much will I hate doing front end dev on a 13" screen? Especially since I've always used the 15" MBP. Also some design work.

you'll hate it

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

How much will I hate doing front end dev on a 13" screen? Especially since I've always used the 15" MBP. Also some design work. Was going to max out the RAM.

I'm also thinking of getting a nice monitor with the savings from not buying the 15". I had an iMac but want to be more portable this time around.

It won't be much fun. How is your eyesight? Get an external monitor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

How much will I hate doing front end dev on a 13" screen?
Not bad at all. 1440x900 is fine, and 1680x1050 is doable if you have 20/20 vision

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

I did front end dev and design for years on the 13" and felt it was fine. Then I got upgraded to a 15" rMBP and it was amazing and I can't go back. The biggest difference is that with the 13" I pretty much always needed to be plugged into a monitor when I was doing design things, and with the 15" I find myself doing design anywhere I want.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I wear glasses. I have a15" through work, but it's tightly locked down and I'm tired of the workarounds and want my own laptop. I just don't want to drop more than $1200-1500.

Everything else blows and I hate Windows.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 25, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I wear glasses. I have a15" through work, but it's tightly locked down and I'm tired of the workarounds and want my own laptop. I just don't want to drop more than $1200.

Everything else blows and I hate Windows.

You can probably score a very lightly 1-2 year old 15" rMBP (possibly with integrated graphics) for $1200

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Bob Morales posted:

You can probably score a very lightly 1-2 year old 15" rMBP (possibly with integrated graphics) for $1200

Apple Store or in SAmart? What's a good spot these days to check for deals? Last time I bought a MBP was 2007.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Apple Store or in SAmart? What's a good spot these days to check for deals? Last time I bought a MBP was 2007.

MacRumors Marketplace

There's one for 1300 right now

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/15-current-gen-rmacbook-pro.1942790/

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
13" is workable for frontend dev if you think you can handle bumping the scaling to one of the teenier options, especially if you're mostly using an external monitor anyway. Which is a good idea either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

It's doable, especially if you attach a monitor and/or use an app to get higher resolutions, but you'll probably still feel a bit cramped on 13"