Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Astroniomix posted:

I actively encourage people do do dumb poo poo with their space murder yachts

Then why are you here going on and on about how bad turrets are?

e: oh well this was a pitiful way to start a new page, let me go dig up some actual content

e2: here, have an screenshot I took of the "white federal ship paint job" bug on my old computer a while back

It's not a very good picture but I like it.

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I also thought turrets were bad. I think Frontier might have been fiddling with the numbers a bit though, because this guy's findings yet again show me how stupid I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LnjMmsbm50

Apparently, turreted lasers are only 5% less powerful than gimballed versus shields. Turreted kinetic weapons get a huge damage dropoff, the difference between fixed and gimballed kinetic weapons is also more dramatic.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Rah! posted:

You are bad.

PS: turrets are cool

Turrets are cool, but don't rely on them as a crutch, practice how to aim and match intercept vectors instinctively. .

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Astroniomix posted:

I actively encourage people do do dumb poo poo with their space murder yachts, some of them are fun, just don't try to pretend it's good.
I bought the vibrant pack for the Anaconda and when C4 Beams and C3 Multicannons are available I'm going to turn it into a Destroyer from Homeworld :downs:

When the military paint is available for the Corvette I'm going to do the same thing except make it a Hiigaran Battlecruiser.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Mercurius posted:

I bought the vibrant pack for the Anaconda and when C4 Beams and C3 Multicannons are available I'm going to turn it into a Destroyer from Homeworld :downs:

When the military paint is available for the Corvette I'm going to do the same thing except make it a Hiigaran Battlecruiser.

I bought horizons during the black Friday sale without realizing I got a free cool black paint-job for every ship. It's the only sensible colour for a shooty spaceship.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

tooterfish posted:

I also thought turrets were bad. I think Frontier might have been fiddling with the numbers a bit though, because this guy's findings yet again show me how stupid I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LnjMmsbm50

Apparently, turreted lasers are only 5% less powerful than gimballed versus shields. Turreted kinetic weapons get a huge damage dropoff, the difference between fixed and gimballed kinetic weapons is also more dramatic.

I'm going to have to go re-test everything after the new guns come out. His results are dramatically different than my (now over a year old) numbers say they should be.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 25, 2016

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Rhubarb94 posted:

I bought horizons during the black Friday sale without realizing I got a free cool black paint-job for every ship. It's the only sensible colour for a shooty spaceship.
The black looks great in some cases but in others the colour channels are really weird and it looks really off. I still wish they'd do what someone suggested here and add paint packs that apply to each of the colour channels on the ships so you could make your own colour combos with solid colours.

Astroniomix posted:

I'm going to have to go re-test everything after the new guns come out.
Yeah, tell me about it. My theorycrafting :spergin: is itching.

That said, I'm basically going to be choosing the C4 weapons on my Corvette based on whether I like the look of the Multicannons or Beam Lasers better so :v:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Mercurius posted:

The black looks great in some cases but in others the colour channels are really weird and it looks really off. I still wish they'd do what someone suggested here and add paint packs that apply to each of the colour channels on the ships so you could make your own colour combos with solid colours.

The anaconda in particular has some annoying grey "blocks" on it's hull with the solid color paint packs.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Astroniomix posted:

Frag cannons are legitimately good, load up 4 of them on a type-7 and go to town.

Better still, load up 4 large on an Anaconda. Even more better, get "The Pacifier" variant from pledging to Hudson in Powerplay, because they rock, and this is the most fun I have had killing things quickly in Elite so far.

Can't wait for the new 'huge' weapons.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Astroniomix posted:

I'm going to have to go re-test everything after the new guns come out. His results are dramatically different than my (now over a year old) numbers say they should be.

I have been using turrets a shitload since 1.5/2.0 and was very surprised that they were not the no-damage nerf guns everyone had made them out to be, they kill really drat well in fact! I had never used them much before so maybe something changed somewhere and was not clearly documented.

Something that does seem to be an issue with them is they may track based on your game performance. Someone I know with a not so amazing computer who gets lots of FPS drops reports that their turrets spend 80-90% of the time shooting behind their target and land almost no shots which is totally unlike my experience where they hit constantly and almost unerringly.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Space Skeleton posted:

I have been using turrets a shitload since 1.5/2.0 and was very surprised that they were not the no-damage nerf guns everyone had made them out to be, they kill really drat well in fact! I had never used them much before so maybe something changed somewhere and was not clearly documented.

Something that does seem to be an issue with them is they may track based on your game performance. Someone I know with a not so amazing computer who gets lots of FPS drops reports that their turrets spend 80-90% of the time shooting behind their target and land almost no shots which is totally unlike my experience where they hit constantly and almost unerringly.

Distance to target helps a bunch too, turrets get the same targeting "wobble" that gimballed guns suffer from. Also a while back FD changed turrets so the bigger ones track slower which might account for your friend's turrets missing so many of their shots.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Astroniomix posted:

Distance to target helps a bunch too, turrets get the same targeting "wobble" that gimballed guns suffer from. Also a while back FD changed turrets so the bigger ones track slower which might account for your friend's turrets missing so many of their shots.

We are using the same exact ship and loadout.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Space Skeleton posted:

We are using the same exact ship and loadout.

Yes but are you flying it the same?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
OH MY GOD

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

aleksendr posted:

Turrets are cool, but don't rely on them as a crutch, practice how to aim and match intercept vectors instinctively. .

Yes, also, turrets are cool.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Did you go full anime?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Astroniomix posted:

Yes but are you flying it the same?

Better by at least 300%, you scrub :smug:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

El Grillo posted:

Did you go full anime?
Never go full anime.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mercurius posted:

Never not go full anime.

FTFY

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, when are we getting Ace Combat style Idolmaster skins for our spaceships???

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

TorakFade posted:

Frankly if you're not in someone's face while dogfighting you're wasting time anyways. Ballistics miss a lot more and lasers do less damage (at least it seems so), and you want to be less than 1km away when you shoot somebody.

This is my philosophy. I also like to engage boosters and ram my target to take down their shields too :getin:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I just learned that I'm bad with railguns and since I've noticed that I've almost got enough rank for the courier and we're all talking about anaconda theorycraft:
"Allahu" stealth torpedo courier:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_courier/22A3A3A1D3A2D3C2i2i2i000002026i2v27272724.Iw18UA==.Aw18UA==

If you fit nothing but turrets, will you get me before I get you?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 25, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

DreadLlama posted:

I also like ramming things. It is not because I ignore the blue bits on the throttle and can't kill anything if I'm not in vulture. Anyways I just learned that I'm bad with railguns and since I've noticed that I've almost got enough rank for the courier and we're all talking about theorycraft:
"Allahu" stealth torpedo courier:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_courier/22A3A3A1D3A2D3C2i2i2i000002026i2v27272724.Iw18UA==.Aw18UA==

If you fit nothing but turrets, will you get me before I get you?

Depends on if they have shields or not.

Also take care not to accidentally fly in front of your own torpedoes.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What's the best way to get imperial rank if you haven't horizons? I feel like empirical testing is required.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

So, Robigo bulletin board scumming. You know how you can make missions on the open bulletin board "stick"? When the missions eventually disappear, quitting to desktop and logging back in seems to bring all those missions back. I don't know just how they managed to program this to happen, but there you go.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

BMan posted:

So, Robigo bulletin board scumming. You know how you can make missions on the open bulletin board "stick"? When the missions eventually disappear, quitting to desktop and logging back in seems to bring all those missions back. I don't know just how they managed to program this to happen, but there you go.
The bulletin board missions work as they do currently because Frontier built them around the idea that wings would want to be able to get the same missions at once.

Of course, that assumption doesn't take into account the horrendous matchmaking or the fact that players who actively try and do missions together probably make up 0.1% or less of the playerbase so it's ended up with the problems we have now.

Quite typical for MMO devs, really.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
So guys can anyone tell me about turrets and lasers? I feel like there's a lot of uncovered ground to discuss there and I'd love to read another dozen pages of ~~~objective~~~ opinions and EVE-style data-sperging.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Mercurius posted:

The bulletin board missions work as they do currently because Frontier built them around the idea that wings would want to be able to get the same missions at once.
Of course, that assumption doesn't take into account the horrendous matchmaking or the fact that players who actively try and do missions together probably make up 0.1% or less of the playerbase so it's ended up with the problems we have now.
Quite typical for MMO devs, really.

As someone who plays in a group 99.9% of the time, I do appreciate their efforts.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vorenus posted:

So guys can anyone tell me about turrets and lasers? I feel like there's a lot of uncovered ground to discuss there and I'd love to read another dozen pages of ~~~objective~~~ opinions and EVE-style data-sperging.

Listen if you aren't doing ~objectively better thing IMO so no wait actually that's subjectively I guess~ then arghlebargleblargh

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

As someone who plays in a group 99.9% of the time, I do appreciate their efforts.
How often do the people in your group try and take the same missions from the bulletin board?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Mercurius posted:

How often do the people in your group try and take the same missions from the bulletin board?

I didn't know about that. I was actually speaking in general. Since we (my wonderful beloved one and me) just started playing ED yesterday.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

BMan posted:

Also, you can just quit the high-yield instance, open another then immediately quit that and head back to the stuck high-yield one. There's no need to open the bulletin board then quit before the missions list appears.

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 25, 2016

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Finally did some Robigo smuggling in my python last night to see how it all worked. Good money - made 22 million in about an hour and a half.

It was totally the wrong ship for the job though - I think I'll go back to the Clipper as a daily and get an Asp Explorer for this sort of thing.

Got to be honest, I think I might just prefer making things explode for cash. Even if the return is slower.

Oh yeah - the weapon discussion. Stick to pulses if you're going all/mostly energy. If you're mixing use beams to strip shields and pummel with whatever kinetics you like.

I'm not sure where bursts are good either and believe me I tried them a lot. Maybe when power is super tight and you can't fit beams? They aren't poo poo per se though so just stick with what you like.

How do you do these runs without getting scanned? I got all the way to my destination then it was some open outpost so I couldn't just mailslot in past the security.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Sylink posted:

How do you do these runs without getting scanned? I got all the way to my destination then it was some open outpost so I couldn't just mailslot in past the security.

I've never seen cops at an outpost, they're totally devoid of security. Presumably for this reason.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sylink posted:

That's just it - you do. Be prepared to fail a lot if you fly something as slow as a python. You have to shoot whatever interdicts you to interrupt their scan and jump out. It all goes to poo poo when a second ship you didn't pay attention to scans you as well.

That happened to me twice in a row. :argh:

If I was to return to Robigo smuggling I'd only consider a cobra mk III or an asp explorer. Not one of those crappy D rated "best jump range" trade/explorer ones, I'd A-rate it. Why? You'll want a good capacitor to power your A-rated thrusters while you use 4 pips to GTFO of any interdictions.

Planetary outposts are the best destinations because once you enter the atmosphere nothing ever seems to bother you.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I was in a combat kitted ASP, there we two green security who scanned me and no where to hide. Is the strategy just to leave and come back ? This is an orbital outpost not surface.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Vorenus posted:

If people discussing games triggers you so much, you should probably stay out of games threads.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sylink posted:

I was in a combat kitted ASP, there we two green security who scanned me and no where to hide. Is the strategy just to leave and come back ? This is an orbital outpost not surface.

Boost away and circle back once you've given them the slip.

You can also try logging back to menu and restarting your instance as well but sometimes the game just spawns security forces on you no matter what because of the missions.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Outposts don't have security, full stop. What most likely happened is you had system sec tailing you in supercruise, and they dropped out on top of you when you exited. You can avoid this (if you notice you have a tail, always be watching Contacts) by slowing down to let them interdict, and then evading it.

If you're close to the outpost you can also submit, and then either shoot them or run (I prefer the latter) before jumping back into supercruise. Often they won't give chase afterwards. If you can beat them at the interdiction minigame they'll always give up, so that's even better.

The thing I like about smuggling is that there's always something you could have done better to avoid detection. The only time you can get hosed by Lady Luck is coming out of supercruise at a coriolis starport, where cops for some reason hang out on all sides of the station. If you drop out on top of one, shoot, run, and pray. I usually do outposts and planets first, to guarantee that chunk of my paycheck before I go hit the mailslot stations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Ordnance Survey released their first Mars map and it's awesome - got me thinking though, has Frontier talked about making Mars land-able at some point?I know they're still working on our Moon at the moment.

Also has anyone tried Horizons Detail FX?

• Locked thread