Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Serifina posted:

I can't take credit for the progression - that's all Garden of Glass, which is Vazkii. But I do like it, which is why I wanted it to be available. But yeah, the entire first part is basically all working up to the alchemical catalyst and getting those lost few resources from the Nether.

Arioch beat me to it, but he's basically correct - use a Pulse Spreader with a Bore Lens, and trigger it via your choice of redstone contraption. The one I use is centered around a single block which passes through a signal, instead of pistoning out a line of them, but it's the same concept. Remember to put a Solegnolia near it if you're carrying a magnet ring so you don't get random cobble in your inventory (and it's skyblock, why aren't you wearing a magnet ring?)
The inclusion of Thaumcraft makes for a few really neat shortcuts (flesh-leather, for instance) and I like how you've managed the bridge between mods there. The one thing I'm going to change in the custom tweaker recipes is giving more order/chaos crystals for the recipe because mana runes are costlier to make and only yield 1 rune while earth/fire/etc yield 2 at once.
I'll probably just use golems to farm cobble, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

President Ark posted:

Is something up with worldgen in the BFSR beta? I've explored a rather large area and haven't found a single desert - and, by extension, no cacti. At this point I've given up and I'm going to cheat one in but I feel like at this point it's a bit ridiculous and I should've found one by now. Found like 5 mega taigas and a shitload of forests, that's about it.

I didn't change any knobs there. I did update the RTG mod, so if you're using that one--which comes up in the menu as "Realistic"--then you would get a different experience. That mod in particular tends to deprive people of some important resource of some kind or another. I have had the same settings in ATG for almost a year, and those settings tend to favor hotter temperatures. Hence, it must be your dumb luck. That being said, I think ATG has some mode where moving north and south encourages climate variation, and I think I tried to make that more pronounced. That is, you shouldn't have to travel as much to get a different climate.

(BTW I think RTG is really pretty. I tolerate it putting random village huts in a giant Y=12 hole because of everything else.)

I have added shops to the development server that show up in the tutorial dimension, and one of them would trade money for cactus. I did that specifically for situations like this. Other shops buy whatever random stuff you find for money, so you could just punch a few trees and make the trade. I also have trades for sugar cane, various saplings and seeds, and methods of converting some of the colored cobblestone into regular cobblestone. I wanted to keep them out of the quest book because shopping quests always come up as available/completed in the summary, and confuse people into thinking they have real quest rewards to take.

I was wondering actually if the random reward bags will still random if you buy them from a shop. I would like to have a crazy shop to trade in for whatever random crap.

If you're trying to get a cactus for the green dye, you can always make that by blending blue and yellow. It's the only thing I think in the quests that requires cactus green. IIRC I made mention of that in the Galacticraft quest text somewhere.

I suppose this gives me some motivation to release all that. I was waiting to send an update on verifying that new games start in the tutorial dimension. We were having trouble with that. You can see what's going on in the Private Game Server thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765024

Heck, you could help me with testing! Can you see if this version of Lockdown starts you in the tutorial dimension when you create a new world?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1sq79zkhwp2yuyw/Lockdown-universal-1.7.2-2.0.1.bfsr.jar?dl=1

Make sure any existing one is gone from your mods folder.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

President Ark posted:

Is something up with worldgen in the BFSR beta? I've explored a rather large area and haven't found a single desert - and, by extension, no cacti. At this point I've given up and I'm going to cheat one in but I feel like at this point it's a bit ridiculous and I should've found one by now. Found like 5 mega taigas and a shitload of forests, that's about it.

Worldgen was a bit hosed for me too (e: in the old version), the first world was just endless forests filled with lava pools, for thousands of blocks in every direction. We had to generate a new world to have swamps (and hence rubber), and it's still not the most diverse ever.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

The inclusion of Thaumcraft makes for a few really neat shortcuts (flesh-leather, for instance)

Huck rotten flesh into a mana pool with an alchemy catalyst to turn it into leather, also.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The only part of skyblocks I hate (garden of glass included) is the initial 'sit here for 30 minutes to get wood/cobble' bit so I intend to skip that via JEI cheating :v:

I wonder if you can change the GoG map to have a bonus cheat of a stack of cobble or whatever at mapgen.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

The only part of skyblocks I hate (garden of glass included) is the initial 'sit here for 30 minutes to get wood/cobble' bit so I intend to skip that via JEI cheating :v:

I wonder if you can change the GoG map to have a bonus cheat of a stack of cobble or whatever at mapgen.

I usually just install Storage Drawers, enable cheats on the map, and give myself a creative vending drawer for cobble. (Or I did in 1.7, anyways. Dunno if 1.8 StorageDrawers has it.)

Cobblestone in GoG is "aim at the ground, hold right click, contemplate suicide" and you can get an honest cobblegen setup pretty fast, so I don't mind cheating past the very early game and deleting the vending drawer afterwards, especially considering how much you NEED a mob tower in GoG right away.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

My intro to minecraft modding has been Agrarian Skies 1 and I'm loving it so far. However, I also saw just how extensive the endgame gets and I'm wondering if I should bail now before I invest any more time in it. I read that it gets very grindy later on but what primarily puts me off is just how cluttered and overwhelming it is. For example, hunger becomes irrelevant with a simple mob spawner, a carrot, and one block of dirt (bones > bonemeal > carrot > carrot juice), so why include what looks like hundreds of different foods and recipes? The inclusion of bee breeding and magic wands and whatever seems like the author is trying to cram and showcase as many mods as possible. I guess what I'm looking for is something similar but more "thematically consistent" and something that doesn't feel like a random collection of minecraft mods. Is AS2 any better? I don't know anything else about other mods.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

I usually just install Storage Drawers, enable cheats on the map, and give myself a creative vending drawer for cobble. (Or I did in 1.7, anyways. Dunno if 1.8 StorageDrawers has it.)

Cobblestone in GoG is "aim at the ground, hold right click, contemplate suicide" and you can get an honest cobblegen setup pretty fast, so I don't mind cheating past the very early game and deleting the vending drawer afterwards, especially considering how much you NEED a mob tower in GoG right away.

Good idea too, thanks. Speaking of creative, does anyone else get annoyed as gently caress building mob towers and just /gamemode c for flight then delete the cobble/whatever afterward, or is that just me

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Wolfsbane posted:

Worldgen was a bit hosed for me too (e: in the old version), the first world was just endless forests filled with lava pools, for thousands of blocks in every direction. We had to generate a new world to have swamps (and hence rubber), and it's still not the most diverse ever.

Are you guys doing default world generation?

Bouchacha posted:

My intro to minecraft modding has been Agrarian Skies 1 and I'm loving it so far. However, I also saw just how extensive the endgame gets and I'm wondering if I should bail now before I invest any more time in it. I read that it gets very grindy later on but what primarily puts me off is just how cluttered and overwhelming it is. For example, hunger becomes irrelevant with a simple mob spawner, a carrot, and one block of dirt (bones > bonemeal > carrot > carrot juice), so why include what looks like hundreds of different foods and recipes? The inclusion of bee breeding and magic wands and whatever seems like the author is trying to cram and showcase as many mods as possible. I guess what I'm looking for is something similar but more "thematically consistent" and something that doesn't feel like a random collection of minecraft mods. Is AS2 any better? I don't know anything else about other mods.
Well I guess there's my Baby's First Space Race pack, although it sounds like now you might have to put up with some strange terraingen bugs (consider using the ATG setting for world type).

For AS1, I'd skip bees because the mechanic for them does not apply anywhere else. They're much more tedious anywhere else. All the different food does have some value if you move on to another challenge mod pack that requires you maintain a diverse diet. Knowing how to arrange some of the more elaborate meals is smart. Specifically, dabble in dairy stuff, making pasta, and the tofu. Figure out how to automate that just because. For everything else, if you're playing single-player, I wouldn't try to do the high-production challenges.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you guys doing default world generation?

Well I guess there's my Baby's First Space Race pack, although it sounds like now you might have to put up with some strange terraingen bugs (consider using the ATG setting for world type).

For AS1, I'd skip bees because the mechanic for them does not apply anywhere else. They're much more tedious anywhere else. All the different food does have some value if you move on to another challenge mod pack that requires you maintain a diverse diet. Knowing how to arrange some of the more elaborate meals is smart. Specifically, dabble in dairy stuff, making pasta, and the tofu. Figure out how to automate that just because. For everything else, if you're playing single-player, I wouldn't try to do the high-production challenges.

I should've specified that I'm only interested in single player. Did you mean that the different foods have value in other packs and not in AS1? I'll likely only have time to get involved with one minecraft mod.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

The inclusion of Thaumcraft makes for a few really neat shortcuts (flesh-leather, for instance) and I like how you've managed the bridge between mods there. The one thing I'm going to change in the custom tweaker recipes is giving more order/chaos crystals for the recipe because mana runes are costlier to make and only yield 1 rune while earth/fire/etc yield 2 at once.
I'll probably just use golems to farm cobble, though.

I had to add recipes for the saplings and crystals, otherwise there'd be no way to generate them. I did set the Order/Chaos shard recipes to give 8 instead of the 6 the other recipes give, although I wasn't sure if that was still not enough. Although to be honest, if I had my way, instead of being a vanilla recipe, I'd make it a runic altar recipe of Elemental Rune + 6 Glass = 6 Shards + the rune back (in the case of Order/Chaos, Mana Rune + 8 Glass = 4 Order, 4 Chaos, and the rune back). But that was part of ModTweaker which isn't updated yet, so I can't inject recipes that use the special crafting types for Botania or Thaumcraft.

Ciaphas posted:

I don't have any way at present to do that. Once something like HQM is updated, I kind of want to add a basic "introduce you to all the mods" series of quests that would give additional basic materials to shortcut a bit of the grind, though.

Although I always cheat and break that block of bedrock, myself. It's in the way.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Storage Drawers for 1.8.9 is functionally identical to 1.7.10. He's maintaining feature parity across both, I believe, at least until he decides to give up 1.7.10. Honestly, the pebble-grind is a lot less aggravating than the Ex Nihilo composting grind, to me, and I usually make a couple dozen stacks of cobble while waiting for my first tree to grow, which is usually enough to carry me through to the Nether, or close to it. Remember to use slabs where possible instead of full blocks.

Ciaphas posted:

Good idea too, thanks. Speaking of creative, does anyone else get annoyed as gently caress building mob towers and just /gamemode c for flight then delete the cobble/whatever afterward, or is that just me

I don't, but this is also part of why I included Similsax Transtructors. Look into them, they've very, very handy for building some of the more annoying bits. Combined with a Thaumcraft Builder Wand Foci, and you can build a lot of things while barely having to move.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Serifina posted:

the pebble-grind is a lot less aggravating than the Ex Nihilo composting grind
A million times over. Ex Nihilo is cool for a lot of things but the early attempts to set up a cobble generator absolutely suck. I mean they're not terrible the very first time but now that 90% of skyblocks use Ex Nihilo you have to go through the sapling/silkworm/compost/sifting thing EVERY TIME.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

A million times over. Ex Nihilo is cool for a lot of things but the early attempts to set up a cobble generator absolutely suck. I mean they're not terrible the very first time but now that 90% of skyblocks use Ex Nihilo you have to go through the sapling/silkworm/compost/sifting thing EVERY TIME.

yeah again I intend to cheat my way past that step if I ever play an Ex Nihilo block again because gently caress that for a bag of chips

Serifina posted:

I don't, but this is also part of why I included Similsax Transtructors. Look into them, they've very, very handy for building some of the more annoying bits. Combined with a Thaumcraft Builder Wand Foci, and you can build a lot of things while barely having to move.

I had no idea what that mod was and after goofing up typing the name into JEI once I stopped caring :v: That's pretty cool, though, now that I know.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bouchacha posted:

AS1 is cool and good in my book. The production challenges are neat because every one can be done just by grinding, but to get them done in a reasonable timeframe you have to get a little bit clever.

AS2 is weird because all those challenges were left out (besides a few token ones that are really easy), which makes it an extremely halfassed tutorial mod pack. Also a lot of weird choices like putting in endertech but taking out openblocks and extra cells.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

They do. This is why I took a look at Agrarian Skies 2 (after having beaten 1) and went "no, gently caress this noise". It's an interesting method but only once.

Ciaphas posted:

I had no idea what that mod was and after goofing up typing the name into JEI once I stopped caring :v: That's pretty cool, though, now that I know.
It's a funky name but it's a damned useful mod and it's basically the ultimate building tool for skyblocks.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

What would you folks recommend to scratch the modded skyblock itch in 1.7? AS1 does it pretty perfectly for 1.6 but it sounds like AS2 is more tutorial-y.
A big part of the fun of AS1 for me and my group was figuring out how to make gigantic production chains for mundane stuff you'd never normally automate, like toast.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Bouchacha posted:

I should've specified that I'm only interested in single player. Did you mean that the different foods have value in other packs and not in AS1? I'll likely only have time to get involved with one minecraft mod.

That is right. Other packs sometimes have Spice of Life, which will remember the last X things you ate and how many of each. Eating more of the same will reduce the effect until it does nothing.

The limits are configurable, so I cannot give you an exact number. However, I think Blightfall was remembering 100 things and forcing you to have 15+ different foods in that chain.

You really cannot have a good time in a pack with that mod without HarvestCraft, which gives you a while lot of variety. Otherwise, you have to improvise with Nature fruit salads and dried meats, MFR meat ingots, and the other scraps other packs have. So tha AS1 quests are good for at least that.

As for playing only one pack, you will probably play another one some day . . .

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

ptroll posted:

What would you folks recommend to scratch the modded skyblock itch in 1.7? AS1 does it pretty perfectly for 1.6 but it sounds like AS2 is more tutorial-y.
A big part of the fun of AS1 for me and my group was figuring out how to make gigantic production chains for mundane stuff you'd never normally automate, like toast.

I've not really played it much, but the only other remotely popular skyblock I've seen people talk about on the FTB forums/subreddit is Project Ozone. I played it briefly and got distracted before really getting into the meat of it, so I can't give much of a review, but it might be worth looking at. Just one tip, lucky cubes are completely suicidal and are never worth opening, early on at least. There might be some way to survive their bullshit later.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I didn't change any knobs there. I did update the RTG mod, so if you're using that one--which comes up in the menu as "Realistic"--then you would get a different experience. That mod in particular tends to deprive people of some important resource of some kind or another. I have had the same settings in ATG for almost a year, and those settings tend to favor hotter temperatures. Hence, it must be your dumb luck. That being said, I think ATG has some mode where moving north and south encourages climate variation, and I think I tried to make that more pronounced. That is, you shouldn't have to travel as much to get a different climate.

(BTW I think RTG is really pretty. I tolerate it putting random village huts in a giant Y=12 hole because of everything else.)

I have added shops to the development server that show up in the tutorial dimension, and one of them would trade money for cactus. I did that specifically for situations like this. Other shops buy whatever random stuff you find for money, so you could just punch a few trees and make the trade. I also have trades for sugar cane, various saplings and seeds, and methods of converting some of the colored cobblestone into regular cobblestone. I wanted to keep them out of the quest book because shopping quests always come up as available/completed in the summary, and confuse people into thinking they have real quest rewards to take.

I was wondering actually if the random reward bags will still random if you buy them from a shop. I would like to have a crazy shop to trade in for whatever random crap.

If you're trying to get a cactus for the green dye, you can always make that by blending blue and yellow. It's the only thing I think in the quests that requires cactus green. IIRC I made mention of that in the Galacticraft quest text somewhere.

I suppose this gives me some motivation to release all that. I was waiting to send an update on verifying that new games start in the tutorial dimension. We were having trouble with that. You can see what's going on in the Private Game Server thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765024

Heck, you could help me with testing! Can you see if this version of Lockdown starts you in the tutorial dimension when you create a new world?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1sq79zkhwp2yuyw/Lockdown-universal-1.7.2-2.0.1.bfsr.jar?dl=1

Make sure any existing one is gone from your mods folder.

or you should be able to use the petals ground up from the green botania flowers so maybe make the HQM quest allow anything GREEN

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I don't have Botania in yet, and I think I do not even detect for cactus anywhere. The only place it matters is a galacticraft component, and there it just wants the dye.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
I've a mechanical question if anybody's interested:
In Regrowth, how would I go about using a mana pool as a button? I want it to act so that being completely full turns on a redstone signal that lasts until it's drained completely, then turns off and stay off until it's full again. I've most of Automagy unlocked if that helps any. I specifically don't want to 'cheat' with an hourglass; work must only begin with a full mana pool.

I'm building an automated orechid/hobgoblin koboldite dust generator, and I want to have the manapool recharge be downtime where all my machinery is turned off.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Edminster posted:

I've a mechanical question if anybody's interested:
In Regrowth, how would I go about using a mana pool as a button? I want it to act so that being completely full turns on a redstone signal that lasts until it's drained completely, then turns off and stay off until it's full again. I've most of Automagy unlocked if that helps any. I specifically don't want to 'cheat' with an hourglass; work must only begin with a full mana pool.

I'm building an automated orechid/hobgoblin koboldite dust generator, and I want to have the manapool recharge be downtime where all my machinery is turned off.

There's no ready-made solution for this, but you can get what you want using some standard redstone circuitry.

Use a comparator to read the mana pool. The output of the comparator gets shoved into a solid block (like cobblestone.) This strongly powers the block. Perpendicular to the block, place another comparator reading the block, and a redstone torch on the opposite side. Something like this:

code:
[ C ][ B ][ T ]
     [ C ]
     [ M ]
C = comparator, M = mana pool, T = redstone torch, B = solid block
The second comparator, run a strength-15 redstone signal into. (Another redstone torch and a single unit of redstone dust will work for this.)

Run the lead from the second comparator's output to the SET input of an RS-NOR latch. Run a lead from the redstone torch to the RESET input of an RS-NOR latch.

The effect of this is when there is no mana in the pool at all, the RS-NOR latch is turned off, then waits for the pool to fill up again. When the pool is full, the RS-NOR latch is turned on.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

ptroll posted:

Sky Factory (which I think is on ATLauncher but frankly they all blend together) is not terrible. Unlike AS1 and AS2 they don't use HQM so you don't get rewards when you complete quests, but it's still pretty good.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Glory of Arioch posted:

There's no ready-made solution for this, but you can get what you want using some standard redstone circuitry.

Use a comparator to read the mana pool. The output of the comparator gets shoved into a solid block (like cobblestone.) This strongly powers the block. Perpendicular to the block, place another comparator reading the block, and a redstone torch on the opposite side. Something like this:

code:
[ C ][ B ][ T ]
     [ C ]
     [ M ]
C = comparator, M = mana pool, T = redstone torch, B = solid block
The second comparator, run a strength-15 redstone signal into. (Another redstone torch and a single unit of redstone dust will work for this.)

Run the lead from the second comparator's output to the SET input of an RS-NOR latch. Run a lead from the redstone torch to the RESET input of an RS-NOR latch.

The effect of this is when there is no mana in the pool at all, the RS-NOR latch is turned off, then waits for the pool to fill up again. When the pool is full, the RS-NOR latch is turned on.

Thanks a million! I've never done any redstone logic beyond 'turn off endoflame feeder when pool is full' so this was a bit terrifying complex to me. Just to make sure I've got this right, here's what I have:

I'm dead certain there's a more compact way to do this, so I'm going to see if I can figure out something by watching the milliard youtube tutorials on RS NOR latches.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Edminster posted:

Thanks a million! I've never done any redstone logic beyond 'turn off endoflame feeder when pool is full' so this was a bit terrifying complex to me. Just to make sure I've got this right, here's what I have:

I'm dead certain there's a more compact way to do this, so I'm going to see if I can figure out something by watching the milliard youtube tutorials on RS NOR latches.

I am not sure that RS-NOR latch will do what you're thinking.

I came up with this design:

sandstone: floor
orange: 1 block above floor
purple: 2 blocks above floor
green: output lead

http://imgur.com/a/4Qlpa has some shots of it from different angles.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Glory of Arioch posted:

I am not sure that RS-NOR latch will do what you're thinking.

Oh? I ran it through a cycle of the mana pool and the remote comparator on the right feeds the pool strength to the cobble, which turns off the 'drained reset' line when there is any mana in the pool while also powering the next comparator which only propagates signal on a full pool thanks to the overriding redstone torch. If the comparator propagates, then the 'filling' line turns off and the 'draining' line activates. When the pool is drained, there is no signal coming from the remote comparator so the reset line turns on, which in turn switches on the 'filling' line as that's what the mana pool is doing. Well, technically at that point the mana pool is sitting idle, but either way it's not draining. What did you think I thought I was doing?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Edminster posted:

Oh? I ran it through a cycle of the mana pool and the remote comparator on the right feeds the pool strength to the cobble, which turns off the 'drained reset' line when there is any mana in the pool while also powering the next comparator which only propagates signal on a full pool thanks to the overriding redstone torch. If the comparator propagates, then the 'filling' line turns off and the 'draining' line activates. When the pool is drained, there is no signal coming from the remote comparator so the reset line turns on, which in turn switches on the 'filling' line as that's what the mana pool is doing. Well, technically at that point the mana pool is sitting idle, but either way it's not draining. What did you think I thought I was doing?

Oh, if it works, then you should be fine. I didn't look at it too closely.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So how is one supposed to get Vitium essentia in Garden of Glass?

Also as much as I love the new golems you really have to jump through hoops to get your first ones up and running.

E: Also wow drat I have not had to build a drop tower in ages. Time to look up a decent design that allows for spiders and endermen.
E2: Goddamn I need a lot of string or a sheep.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 26, 2016

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Vitium is found in tripwires I think. That is if you're using TC5...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Also as much as I love the new golems you really have to jump through hoops to get your first ones up and running.

E: Also wow drat I have not had to build a drop tower in ages. Time to look up a decent design that allows for spiders and endermen.

You can get a unit of vitium from salis mundis. It's pretty awful to grind out, but it's an option.

e: regarding mob drop towers, I just make the bog standard one that has four arms and spawning platforms that you'd normally fill with water. However, I don't put the water in, and I make the ceiling 3 tall. This allows endermen to spawn. Mobs, including spiders, eventually find their way down to the bottom. In Garden of Glass, I usually make the drop 22 blocks, which is not quite enough to kill the mobs (spiders excluded, if they don't catch the wall during their fall.) This will make creepers and skeletons one punch from death, zombies two, and witches/endermen can be cleaned up with a sword.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 26, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
All right, just hope for the best then? I might try it.
Also I can't get any passive mobs to spawn on my grass platforms I've built in the surrounding areas. One was in Taiga so I thought that might be the problem, so I made another in the Forest biome but still nothing. I guess spawn rules have changed? I was hoping I could bypass the cocoons but it seems that's not an option. Oh well.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Vitium is found in tripwires I think. That is if you're using TC5...
It's not. I mean taint, maybe you're thinking of vinculum, the trap essence?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure if TE is in that mod pack but if so you can get it from buckets of sludge.

edit: whoops guess it's not in there. Tainted soil?

Danger Mahoney fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 26, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Can't you just dump a bunch of junk in a crucible and let the flux goo spawn thaumslimes?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Not anymore, no. And there's no tainted soil in this pack either.

Best bet might be to either make, plant, and grow crystal shards, in order to later taint them by pumping flux into the atmosphere, or just make a really isolated spot waaaay out there and dump so much flux the area gets tainted (and/or smelt down enough balanced shards to make liquid taint), then lay out a bunch of dirt/stone and let it become the tainted variant before silk touching that. Does equal trade (or botania's version) count as silk touching that I wonder? Time to find out!

E: Nope, no such luck. Equal Trade specifically avoids swapping with taint, and Botani's Rod of the Shifting Crust simulates breaking those blocks instead of putting them in your inventory, so it yields no drops. drat.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 26, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

In TC5, you can still do the "pollute the hell out of the environment to cause a tainted-hellscape" thing. For best results, plant and grow a bunch of trees before dumping zillions of cobblestone into a cauldron. You can then fight the taintacles, taint swarms, and other stuff that spawns, as well as pop the little taint blisters that appear (these are new to TC5.) They'll drop the taint items that anyone who played Blightfall is familiar with. You can also plant crystal clusters in the tainted area, and they'll convert to tainted shards. Once you have one tainted shard, scan it, and you'll unlock a recipe to create them via alchemy. This takes more vitium than you get out of it, but it at least gives you a way to make all those goddamn morphic resonators you need for building other stuff.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Can't you also plant a taint crystal in a regular biome and have them grow by absorbing flux in the aura? I figured that would be a good way to keep your flux under control in an area where you are running a lot of thaumcraft machines.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Demiurge4 posted:

Can't you also plant a taint crystal in a regular biome and have them grow by absorbing flux in the aura? I figured that would be a good way to keep your flux under control in an area where you are running a lot of thaumcraft machines.

I've never had this happen at my main base. Then again, I was using silverwood trees to spawn flux-scrubbing pure nodes, so that might have had something to do with it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I found it easier to corrupt existing shards in the world, then use alchemy by harvesting the pustules growing on the trees in tainted lands. Use a ender chest to safely get them out of your bag before they poison you.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, for those of you playing Sky Magic, I will be updating it again in the next day or two. ModTweaker finally got updated, so I can finally reset the shard and sapling recipes to what I want them to be, and I'll be adding recipes for ways to get the late-game Thaumcraft stuff (namely, I'll be adding ways to spawn the Thaumcraft bosses so you can get Primordial Pearls.)

Vib Rib posted:

Go through the nether, and open a new portal so that you can have an area a couple thousand blocks away from your actual island (so it remains unloaded when you're not present). Build yourself an island for taint creation - dirt, trees, etc. Make it reasonably large-ish but make sure to partition off your portal so you have a safe zone. Throw a crucible down, and overload the ever-lovin' hell out of it. (If you've gotten auto-cobble production, three inventory loads of it should do the trick.)

Once taint begins to generate, anything tainted will have Vitium. In addition, if there's still an excess of Vitium in the aura (more than the little marker at the top of the thaumomemter's readout) you can plant shards and have them get tainted.

Logs in particular are a good thing to have tainted and collect, so bring an axe.

Also I seriously cannot stress enough don't do this at your home area. Once you taint an area it will take forever to clean up properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, it's a little irritating that so many of these mods gate their really cool stuff behind end-game challenges but then don't add any reason to use the cool stuff afterwards. Yeah, you can have this super sword, but the thing you have to beat to get it is harder than anything else in the game, so you probably didn't need it anyway. Yeah, you can have this diamond-detecting mega pickaxe but the resources required to get it are way more than you would ever need otherwise, so you're probably pretty well stocked anyway. Here's a great way to move mana around but getting it is literally the only thing you need to move so much mana around for.