Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I have a credit card through KEB/Hana. It has a 3mil limit. I did not put a deposit down.

It took me two trips to the bank to achieve this feat. The first guy struggled harder than a Virginian to "get their moneys worth" at Golden Corral. The second one seemed to have experience or at least read a pamphlet on dealing with not-koreans. It took me less than 15 minutes.

btw, I've been with KEB for 4 years when I did this so YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I also have a credit card through KEB/Hana, I had no issues getting the card, other than having to wait until I had 6 months of residency for them to give me one.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
My gf also got one through KEB/Hana. Similar limit. If you don't want to do a deposit card they seem the easiest. I just got my Shihhan credit card with a 20 mil limit with some fun things like movie tickets, discount on chain coffee, and 20-30% off any sort of transit from bus to KTX to taxi. I save about 30-40k a month in average spending with a 12k annual fee, can deduct up to 1 million off my taxes at the end of the year because I use my credit card as Tmoney and I never have to refill the drat thing.

Shinhan had me have a higher salary in order to get one without collateral. Got it right before looking for a new job, so good timing. Samsung still says I make too little, don't have a high enough status job, don't own property, and/or my company doesn't have enough stake in Samsung. My law firm wasn't one of the ones on their list. I've given up on the Samsung card. Was easier at one time.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
This seems almost like the wrong thread to ask, but does anyone have any Korean language Japanese lesson websites around? Meaning, I'd like to learn Japanese via Korean instruction.

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

This seems almost like the wrong thread to ask, but does anyone have any Korean language Japanese lesson websites around? Meaning, I'd like to learn Japanese via Korean instruction.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/lesson/korean/learn/benefit/basic/basic.html

You mean like this?
This is NHK website but instruction is in Korean.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/lesson/korean/download/

일본말 첫걸음 lesson download.
I am laughing at lesson 23 title, 엄마한테 혼났데 I got scoldes by my mother.

http://www.edupure.net/v/a2/n0701.asp?course_type=C8502000

You pay to watch educational video but it is okay.

You are not going to take EJU or anything like it?

Gilgamesh_Novem fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 20, 2016

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
If you're indomitable, they'll usually give you a card just to get you to go away.

Maxsmart fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 21, 2016

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
One of my friends and I may be up in Seoul mid March for the 3 day weekend. Anyways, I was wondering if there is anywhere besides Noksapyeong and Itaewon that has a high concentration of places with craft beer.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Hongdae and the surrounding areas have a lot these days. Magpie, Craft One, Nubar, On Tap, Al tap (just read about this one), and I am sure more than I am not aware of.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Gilgamesh_Novem posted:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/lesson/korean/learn/benefit/basic/basic.html

You mean like this?
This is NHK website but instruction is in Korean.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/lesson/korean/download/

일본말 첫걸음 lesson download.
I am laughing at lesson 23 title, 엄마한테 혼났데 I got scoldes by my mother.

http://www.edupure.net/v/a2/n0701.asp?course_type=C8502000

You pay to watch educational video but it is okay.

You are not going to take EJU or anything like it?

Oh no, I'm visiting Japan and I figure since Korean and Japanese grammar-wise is similar, I could learn some intro-Japanese that way. This is perfect though :)

I figure its also a good way to enrich myself since my Korean is getting rusty without daily calls to my mother.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 25, 2016

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Talked about this in chat but might as well post it here too just because it was a funny lucky thing to happen.

Riding my bicycle around the other day I found a bunch of furniture that someone moving out was throwing away. Included In the mess was an upright piano. They had the proper paper for throwing things away and the piano was listed with it all. I put a note on it saying "Please do not throw this away! I will pick up by Wednesday." and left my phone number. Contacted a friend who has a similar piano in his bar and he put me in touch with his friend who helped move that one. Went by the next day and while the city had picked up everything else they left the piano. After some delays by the moving guy and some (understandably annoyed) messages from the owner of the house who just wanted the thing gone I finally got it picked up and moved into my house today for 60k. Not a bad price for a perfectly working upright piano. I've gathered a lot of random furniture and stuff from the street but this is by far my favorite.

Observations --

What a country where you can just put a note on something to claim it and no one takes it. Of course something as heavy as a piano is a special circumstance but someone did call the day I originally said I was going to pick it up to call dibs on it if I couldn't take it.

I am glad I went with my friend's person who is a pianist and owns an instrument shop and thus knew what he was doing. I was quoted 170k by a moving company and that was just one person who would have had no idea what he was doing and I would have also had to help carry it.

I went to the 주민센터 to buy another sticker for throwing it away because I felt bad to waste the original owner's money and wanted a backup plan in case my plan didn't work out; having the city come to pick up/throw away an upright piano is 15k and a grand piano is 22k. Both prices seem very cheap for such pains in the rear end.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
That's excellent! Also be sure to call around a bit when moving stuff. I had to hire a truck for my larger furniture to my new place (a full five minute drive from my old place) , and got quotes ranging from 300 to 60.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm finally going back to the states after almost three years here. What's the situation with sending money back home? I know the exchange rate is in the shitter right now. Should I wait it out for a better rate or bite the bullet and close my account now, assuming I don't urgently need the money I've earned here?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

:smithicide:
I'm in the same boat. Thankfully I sent a lot back already (in the form of student loan payments...) but my pension is coming in at around 80 cents per thousand won.
In my estimation there's nothing going on in the world now or in the near future that looks like anything other than bad times for Sparkling Corea. Domestic consumption is down, exports are down, international money is getting the gently caress out of Asia, oil prices keep falling, and the dollar keeps getting stronger.
I don't think we'd see 2014 rates for years, maybe a decade. I think maybe you could gamble on a bounce back to somewhere near 0.84, but I think that Korea will see a pretty consistent decline to $0.70/1000₩ or lower within the next year or so. I hope I'm wrong, though.

disclaimer: I am not an economist

e: I should make clear that I have already sent everything home because I don't actually want to wager my pension on a lucky short-term bounce

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 27, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would do it now. China's economy seems to have hit a wall and is likely to drag Asia into recession, while the US economy is the best it's been in quite a while with no signs of slowing down. China's already shifted like a trillion dollars into Japan/the US which is only going to help keep those currencies stronger.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, I'm no economist either, but everything I've read just says it's gonna keep getting worse for a good long stretch.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Korea Megathread VII: The Gravy Train Finally Ended

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012
Just got my TEFL cert, started reading this thread for inspiration and now I'm depressed.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Anyone have experience attending Korea University?

I'm looking at the dual masters program at American University. It looks like a good gig where you spend first year at AU in DC then the second year in Korea or Japan (Kyoto). I've lived in Japan before and had a good time.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Howard Phillips posted:

Anyone have experience attending Korea University?

I'm looking at the dual masters program at American University. It looks like a good gig where you spend first year at AU in DC then the second year in Korea or Japan (Kyoto). I've lived in Japan before and had a good time.

I have a friend who did this. He was complaining that even when in Korea he was still paying the American tuition prices.
I guess he had fun, though. If you have any specific questions I could ask him.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

ladron posted:

I have a friend who did this. He was complaining that even when in Korea he was still paying the American tuition prices.
I guess he had fun, though. If you have any specific questions I could ask him.

If you don't mind asking him:
1. How challenging was the program from an academic standpoint? (I'm not trying to write the next groundbreaking dissertation. Just want a degree and some fun on the side.)
2. How much free time?
3. Housing/living expenses of Seoul for a KU student.

Thanks!

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I started my 된장 and 간장.

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

DontAskKant posted:

I started my 된장 and 간장.

Great job! Two thumbs up!!!!
I wish I have backyard or balcony to be able to do that too.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Howard Phillips posted:

If you don't mind asking him:
1. How challenging was the program from an academic standpoint? (I'm not trying to write the next groundbreaking dissertation. Just want a degree and some fun on the side.)
2. How much free time?
3. Housing/living expenses of Seoul for a KU student.

Thanks!

1 - Not too bad, but not diploma-mill-esque either
2 - Enough, but realize at KU there are a lot of manadory MT (membership training) events that you have to attend. Most of them involve getting ripped on makkoli
3 - This is a super loaded question because there are so many variables. Do you want to live in a slum and eat ramen once a week? Not expensive. Do you want to live in a penthouse and dine on caviar? Probably a lot. Look at housing on craigslist for an idea of what you are likely to spend

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

might be wrong posted:

Just got my TEFL cert, started reading this thread for inspiration and now I'm depressed.

You're better off going to Japan.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
You're better off not doing TEFL.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Counterpoint, I've loved my time here.

Unless you have a specific attachment to Korea there may be better choices for starting ESL. I know a bunch of people who've switched to Vietnam for better contracts and are loving it there.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

ladron posted:

1 - Not too bad, but not diploma-mill-esque either
2 - Enough, but realize at KU there are a lot of manadory MT (membership training) events that you have to attend. Most of them involve getting ripped on makkoli
3 - This is a super loaded question because there are so many variables. Do you want to live in a slum and eat ramen once a week? Not expensive. Do you want to live in a penthouse and dine on caviar? Probably a lot. Look at housing on craigslist for an idea of what you are likely to spend

Thanks for response, very helpful.

Yeah question 3 is very dependent lifestyle choices. I will do my own research here. Was kinda looking at living in Dondgdaemon area. Seems ethnic and rather affordable.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

AmbientParadox posted:

Korea Megathread VII: The Gravy Train Finally Ended

I dunno man, it's pretty sweet about now.

Oh, heh, forgot you aren't suckling off Uncle Sam's teat like me and get paid in USD. Sorry brosef.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I may now have to sell/give away everything I own in the next two weeks. Let me know if you want anything email ladron@hotmail for pictures, model numbers, etc).

washer/dryer
medicine cabinet
big plastic storage box
2 bookshelves
shitload of spices
small cabinet
rice cooker
toaster
electric kettle
shitload of pots/pans/silverware
3 fans
2 big rear end tvs
clothes rack
box of electronic goodies
like 5 mirrors
korean style low cabinet
2 rugs
bed and blankets
5 closets
mountain bike
2 camping chairs
sofa
lip sofa
office chair
ottoman
awesome comfy spinny chair
comfy chair
2 tv stands/ cabinets
shoe closet
coat stand
computer desk
2 grills and a bunch of charcoal
decent size fridge (not like a tiny dorm fridge)

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

how did you wind up with 5 closets?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

ladron posted:

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I may now have to sell/give away everything I own in the next two weeks. Let me know if you want anything email ladron@hotmail for pictures, model numbers, etc).

washer/dryer
medicine cabinet
big plastic storage box
2 bookshelves
shitload of spices
small cabinet
rice cooker
toaster
electric kettle
shitload of pots/pans/silverware
3 fans
2 big rear end tvs
clothes rack
box of electronic goodies
like 5 mirrors
korean style low cabinet
2 rugs
bed and blankets
5 closets
mountain bike
2 camping chairs
sofa
lip sofa
office chair
ottoman
awesome comfy spinny chair
comfy chair
2 tv stands/ cabinets
shoe closet
coat stand
computer desk
2 grills and a bunch of charcoal
decent size fridge (not like a tiny dorm fridge)

no microwave? because I was just looking for one.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

superm0nk posted:

how did you wind up with 5 closets?

Like those korean closet armoire things

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

nervana posted:

no microwave? because I was just looking for one.

Microwave is going back to costco

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ladron posted:

Like those korean closet armoire things

Okay but how do you have 5?

Edit: Oh wait, you mean one of the big five piece sets. I see.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 2, 2016

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Bugblatter posted:

Okay but how do you have 5?

Edit: Oh wait, you mean one of the big five piece sets. I see.

Yeah, 3 of them have drawers in the bottom. One is by the door for coats and gloves and poo poo. The others are in the bedroom for actual clothes

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Youre in seoul right? Wanna get that bike.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

E_P posted:

yep, near sookdae. It's your if you want it. Needs a new tube (I think) for the front tire

kakao = ladron if you want pictures

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

E_P posted:

The secondhand shop is coming on Monday to scoop everything up, so if you want it best get at me this weekend

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

ladron posted:

The secondhand shop is coming on Monday to scoop everything up, so if you want it best get at me this weekend

Do you have best estimate of pricing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

DontAskKant posted:

Do you have best estimate of pricing?

what they're giving me? No, but I assume it's a pittance.