Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I doubt they will take it away from heavy weapon squads or predators. The wording is pretty intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
A predator with a TL assault cannon turret,and assault cannon sponson, and Pintle still looks silly.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I will give the Blood Angels credit for somehow making dreadnought assault fist-cannons, but I don't see that rule surviving even one revision. It might take a while though. :v:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

After reading the last 250 posts in the 40k thread; I have a deep appreciation for how not hosed this game is. My 40k armies won't be leaving their cases for a while

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

After reading the last 250 posts in the 40k thread; I have a deep appreciation for how not hosed this game is. My 40k armies won't be leaving their cases for a while

You're just saying that because the new Deathwatch devastator got a frag cannon that is somehow superior to the one that Dreadnoughts carry.

I mean it's not like GW makes things up as they go along with no care or consideration.

Right?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Hixson posted:

Same. Same.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I havnt really unshelved my nids for probably 5 months up until last week when one of my FLGS asked me to participate in a league of theirs to get another experienced player in the pool, (theres a couple there but there are a LOT of new dudes)
30k best K, also just got book 6 is the mail, poo poo is boss.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Does anyone have any idea when the new red book is going to drop? Is it the crusade army list or the legions book?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It's gonna be the new Legions book, called Age of Darkness. I've heard that the Crusade Army List is due for an update later this year though.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah legions book, expect pre-orders to show up mid to late March since that's when the first batch of pre-orders from the weekender are expected to ship out.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, sweet, so it is happening relatively soon.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just sold the last of my red books in anticipation. I learned this trick from some goon on here. Dude sold his 6th edition rule book a month before 7th dropped and basically got a free update.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can someone please explain to me why you'd want to take an Achilles Alpha over a regular Achilles? The twin-linked multi-meltas get switched out for twin-linked volkite culverins and it can re-roll dangerous terrain all for 25 points more. Those are the only changes as far as I can tell. The quad mortar is already so good at blowing up infantry that I'm not really sure the volkites are needed and with Machine Spirit the meltas can target something else. Or, assuming the standard pattern also has shatter rounds, you could just blow the gently caress out of a tank or two. Maybe it's because I am wrongfully assuming marines vs. marines, but I think the standard Achilles might be better.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

IIRC the alpha has -1 on the damage chart and is immune to melta and maybe lance naturally. I could also be horribly wrong so there is that.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

IIRC the alpha has -1 on the damage chart and is immune to melta and maybe lance naturally. I could also be horribly wrong so there is that.

Yeah, both variants have that. The alpha just has more words in an otherwise identical description.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Any goons wanna get a funsies hh game in at AdeptiCon?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muggins posted:

Any goons wanna get a funsies hh game in at AdeptiCon?

Hells yeah. The grey tide is coming.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

So when making an armored breakthrough list should I bother with some infantry? I'm thinking 6 predators for troops, and tactical vets for some implacable advance elite choices, but how should I kit them? With sniper and heavy bolters? Or like outflank with melta. Since I'm taking Perturabo (and by the restrictions required to take The Tormentor) they can cruise on in turn 1 if I reserve them. I was originally thinking some terminators to teleport with him but then I technically have to take a land raider for them.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
If you're doing armoured breakthrough and you have infantry my goddamn immersion will be ruined.

But recon teams would be kinda fluffy. Bikers?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

LordAba posted:

Hells yeah. The grey tide is coming.

=) gray as in kids of Horus?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

If you're doing armoured breakthrough and you have infantry my goddamn immersion will be ruined.

But recon teams would be kinda fluffy. Bikers?

Tanks without any infantry support was a lesson learned in like WW2, and all infantry models are required to buy a DT it it's available so it's still dudes rumbling in tanks, and predators are expensive, you look at eBay and see either complete garbage at $20, or you hit what I could buy it for locally. If you can even find autocannon preds, they are all lascannons.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Hencoe posted:

If you can even find autocannon preds, they are all lascannons.

If you cut the autocannon turret's muzzle tip at an angle like a lascannon, it's effectively a lascannon conversion.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Besides Tomb King bits and Kromlech, does anyone make good Kopesh style swords?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

koreban posted:

If you cut the autocannon turret's muzzle tip at an angle like a lascannon, it's effectively a lascannon conversion.

No, I'm trying to find autocannon predators, but just about all the ones on eBay are lascannon, sheer garbage with sides missing, or $40+ after shipping, which is about the same price i can get them in town.
As much as I like the demios pattern look the plastic ones are more practical to get cheap.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Do troops automatically score? So do the predators score in that ROW? That's the crux of it, basically. If they do then you only need like 1 other infantry choice. If they don't you'll need about 2.

How many autocannons do you need? I have a few. Also I have some spare predator diemos turrets laying around, but they don't come with any matching weapons.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

I have 3 predators so far, and a demios plasma one. Just going to get the other 3 at the local nerd shop since they do 20% and another one the next town over has an old shadowsword kit I can probably get for cheaper. Super stoked for this actually. Autocannon predators are troops and I'm doing heavy bolter sponsons with SHRAPNEL SHELLS BECAUSE ITS SUCH A FUN UNIQUE EQUIPMENT.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 24, 2016

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muggins posted:

=) gray as in kids of Horus?

Unpainted. :P Emp children when I get around to it.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I promised that I'd post pictures of my spacemans that I've been slowly working on. A lot of the delay came from trying to find suitable replacements for EC's Phoenix Spear legion weapon. Basically, you want it on everything that can take it, but the bits are only available on the Phoenix Guard Terminator kit.

My solution wound up being GK Warding Staves, the Wing bits from the Sanguinary Guard sprue (with blood drop cut off) and standard terminator Power Sword bits.

This is my generic Praetor, built out of the Centurion in the BaC set. I swapped the maul for the spear conversion, added an Iron Halo vis a vis the top of the Warding Staff with the skull cut out, and a combi bolter instead of the plasma Pistol.

Here's the squad with vox and vexila. I put the upgreyyd chestplates on the sergeant and vexila, the rest are basically BaC mkIV with EC heads/shoulderpads, extra weapon and bolt pistol bits attached for wysiwyg modeling.

Suuuuuper lovely cellphone pic of the space dudes with my 2 mkI rhinos that I've built so far. I'm working on my second tactical squad which will basically mirror the first. I'll probably edge the bases in different colors to differentiate. After that comes a Legion Champion with Jump Pack and Palatine Blades with jump packs. I need to source some single-engine jump packs first though.

e: Oh, and I have the derpy dreadnaught with 2 Kheres arms, but I don't have a good base for him yet, so he's still half-built.

koreban fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 25, 2016

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

LordAba posted:

Unpainted. :P Emp children when I get around to it.

What NO

You could be loyalist survivors at istvaan. I can loan you Orlynor

These are my bros

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Also we did a battle report empies kids vs Alpha Legion

https://youtu.be/lUhSrv6UDoE

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dude, nice batrep. I had no idea you did fresh coast videos.

You should have tied that game. Your friend made a pretty common 40k -> 30k error. Only troops score and there is no obsec. That means dedicated transports are only denial units. Since he kept his scoring units inside the rhino they didn't score in your deployment zone :)

30k becomes pretty insane at high points levels. We play mostly 1000-2000 and I am just dreading dealing with LOW. He brought a pretty solid AL list.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Dude, nice batrep. I had no idea you did fresh coast videos.

You should have tied that game. Your friend made a pretty common 40k -> 30k error. Only troops score and there is no obsec. That means dedicated transports are only denial units. Since he kept his scoring units inside the rhino they didn't score in your deployment zone :)

30k becomes pretty insane at high points levels. We play mostly 1000-2000 and I am just dreading dealing with LOW. He brought a pretty solid AL list.

Thanks man! Have you watched our other vids ? I actually made the scoring mistake and didn't really think I would win if we went to a 5th turn anyway... That typhon was pushing my excrement in

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just watched some more and they're solid! Thanks for sharing dude. Can you tell more about Fresh Coast gaming?

I love the Typhon. It's like the most Iron Warrior unit in the game and it's amazing for the points. I'm avoiding getting one because I just don't want to be that guy. No Spartan and no Typhon for me. If I ran a Typhon and Scoria it would be just as fun as going against a wall of knight titans.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I love the Typhon. It's like the most Iron Warrior unit in the game and it's amazing for the points. I'm avoiding getting one because I just don't want to be that guy.

#1 reason I havnt bought a typhon yet, the idea of the tank is so awesome, but fielding it is like punching your friend in the face, over and over again.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Just drive your Typhon forward and run over the enemy warlord, including Primarchs, because it's hilarious. Instead of leaving it in the backfield.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I just watched some more and they're solid! Thanks for sharing dude. Can you tell more about Fresh Coast gaming?

I love the Typhon. It's like the most Iron Warrior unit in the game and it's amazing for the points. I'm avoiding getting one because I just don't want to be that guy. No Spartan and no Typhon for me. If I ran a Typhon and Scoria it would be just as fun as going against a wall of knight titans.

Let's have a Typhon v. Warhound Grudge Match.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Saw a game of 40k Harlequins VS Emperor's Children earlier in the week. Turns out that Harlequin leadership shenanigans are really, really useful in 30k. Makes me want to get an army done even more now that I've seen how many locals are into it, too. All I have is a sea of assembled grey plastic so far, but Blood Angels are going to darken some traitor's skies soon enough.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

FCG is our club here in Michigan. We play a ton of different games and blog and shoot video battle reports for them. Mostly professional 30s age dudes some with kids. We started HH at AdeptiCon because a lot of us are dissatisfied with 40k right now and hate money

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Besides Tomb King bits and Kromlech, does anyone make good Kopesh style swords?

Going to be joining the psychic master race?

muggins posted:

Also we did a battle report empies kids vs Alpha Legion

https://youtu.be/lUhSrv6UDoE

Finally got a chance to watch this, owns. Please keep doing 30k battle reports!

Also I'm jealous as hell of anyone with a good HH club :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I'm really struggling with the armor some of my friends bring. The art is like seas of Marines running at each other to prove who is the better space fascist but I see like, a Spartan, typhon, multiple dreads, sicarans , etc each game. I ordered a primaris lightning to use the nuclear bombs it drops :pipe: