Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
A good way to use old sour kimchi is to make kimchi jjigae (stew) out of it. Basically just throw it in a pot with some water+dashi powder and whatever canned protein you like. My mom likes mackerel, I personally like it with spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

pahuyuth posted:

Saw some jars of herring in wine sauce and herring in cream sauce (both refrigerated) at the grocery today. Anyone had anything like this? I love kippered herring but haven't had it any other way.

Yes, those are nice on crackers. The wine sauce herring is a great anti-hangover breakfast food.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
those KO kippers aint half bad and are substantially cheaper than KO dines

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
brewed up some dashi, threw in half a jar of chopped kim chee and most of a can of mackerel. also some rice vinegar and hot mustard powder. it's pretty o.k., really not bad for pantry/leftovers to soup in, like, less than a minute of work time. wish I'd been less of a lazy gently caress and diluted the dashi properly though. there's umami and then there's umanmi

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
This thread is great and full of wonderfully dadly things. The recent pickle/kimchi talk makes me happy. However, have you heard about the good word of liptauer?

What is liptauer you ask? It is a wonderful dadly concoction of cheese and magical spices, utterly perfect to go with black breads, pretzels, etc. There are recipes out there to make your own, but I will stand by my opinion that the liptauer that Zingerman's makes is the best stuff on earth. Also, if you don't know what Zingerman's is you obviously aren't from the great lakes and I feel sorry for you.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

This thread is great and full of wonderfully dadly things. The recent pickle/kimchi talk makes me happy. However, have you heard about the good word of liptauer?

What is liptauer you ask? It is a wonderful dadly concoction of cheese and magical spices, utterly perfect to go with black breads, pretzels, etc. There are recipes out there to make your own, but I will stand by my opinion that the liptauer that Zingerman's makes is the best stuff on earth. Also, if you don't know what Zingerman's is you obviously aren't from the great lakes and I feel sorry for you.

The Lawson recipe you linked didn't really pique my interest but the Zingerman's one sounds loving delicious. Might have to make my own version of that.

e; the wiki link lead to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obatzda too which is similar but with a cheese like Camembert.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 23, 2016

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Bought some Alshark Moroccan Sardines in Spicy Oil. Will post a trip report in a day or two.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I eat beach cliff sardines day to day (or Polar kipper, which I can get nicer for cheaper than KO but it's not proper dadfood) but KO Mediterranean are my go-to for when I'm feeling fancy.

Beach Cliff in mustard kind of suck, but not nearly as bad as some I've had that cost twice as much.

Also the big tins of sardines you can get at Mexican groceries/aisles are also a legit value that I haven't seen brought up. They're big and a bit flavorless but they're dad as gently caress and are great to assert dominance over any children/wives/co-workers who may be doubting your virility for some reason possibly relating to all the Ace of Base on your gym playlist

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
first tin of KOs in a while tonight. come to the conclusion that they're just too buttery for me. it's seasons or bust.

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer
KO Kippers for breakfast. Tasty, but now my garbage can stinks.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
does not "stink" think of it as marking your territory

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

just too buttery for me

I feel like I should tell you to get out of the dad thread.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sheep-Goats posted:

I feel like I should tell you to get out of the dad thread.

you can't even whip and I'm 8 times the dad you are.

sorry your sissy yuppy olive oil dines don't have enough wood alcohol overtones to satisfy my manly palette .

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

this thread encouraged me to try sardines for the first time so I bought Mediterranean KO + black pepper and mashed em up to put on ritz crackers

pretty good imo, hands, mouth, bowl, fork, all reek of fishs and im okay with that

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Mortimer posted:

this thread encouraged me to try sardines for the first time so I bought Mediterranean KO + black pepper and mashed em up to put on ritz crackers

pretty good imo, hands, mouth, bowl, fork, all reek of fishs and im okay with that

now try them with some dijon mustard or sriracha spread on the cracker!!! 10x better

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

AEMINAL posted:

now try them with some dijon mustard or sriracha spread on the cracker!!! 10x better

Lao Gan Ma

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
bootleg lao gan ma

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

brunswicks are on sale for 99 canadian cents a pop over here

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

brunswicks are on sale for 99 canadian cents a pop over here

Just don't get the tomato ones

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i found that out the hard way

i go for the soya oil or the mustard ones

time to stock up!!!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Just put a huge jar of cabbage for fermenting in the shed. Gonna stink up that shed in three or four days.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

King of Bees posted:

Just put a huge jar of cabbage for fermenting in the shed. Gonna stink up that shed in three or four days.

Well don't post any pictures or anything you fucken cur

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Stopped off at the local Asian market today to get some good soy and fish sauce and saw these lil bastards.

Oh sweet christ they were disgusting. They weren't crispy like advertised, more like stale pretzel and they didn't remotely taste at all like a canned anchovy. They had a kind of sweet yet metallic taste.

I washed the taste away with some delicious dried and smoked squid though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DiggityDoink posted:

Stopped off at the local Asian market today to get some good soy and fish sauce and saw these lil bastards.

Oh sweet christ they were disgusting. They didn't taste at all like a canned anchovy and had a kind of sweet yet metallic taste.

Oh lord, are those even meant to be snacked on or are they meant for sauces/cooking?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Oh lord, are those even meant to be snacked on or are they meant for sauces/cooking?

They were in the snack section so I figured they were meant to be. Afterwards I'm not sure, but the can is in the garbage now.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

DiggityDoink posted:

They were in the snack section so I figured they were meant to be. Afterwards I'm not sure, but the can is in the garbage now.

If you want to snack on sardines, just get some "Shrimp" crackers you weirdo.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Sheep-Goats posted:

Well don't post any pictures or anything you fucken cur

poo poo. I'll do so tomorrow. Very UN dadlike to not take a picture of my projects. :(

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

King of Bees posted:

poo poo. I'll do so tomorrow. Very UN dadlike to not take a picture of my projects. :(

Remember, it's not a proper dad project unless it involves a table saw

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

DiggityDoink posted:

Oh sweet christ they were disgusting. They weren't crispy like advertised, more like stale pretzel and they didn't remotely taste at all like a canned anchovy. They had a kind of sweet yet metallic taste.

Dude you don't just eat them you mix those with other snack type stuff then eat it. Like you roast and salt some peanuts then fry up some chiles and kaffir lime leaf and put that on there and then scatter some little fishes on there and then eat it. Only like a 70 year old Asian widower wearing a sarong in a rice field staring at a water buffalo would eat those unmixed.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Dude you don't just eat them you mix those with other snack type stuff then eat it. Like you roast and salt some peanuts then fry up some chiles and kaffir lime leaf and put that on there and then scatter some little fishes on there and then eat it. Only like a 70 year old Asian widower wearing a sarong in a rice field staring at a water buffalo would eat those unmixed.

A 70 year old Asian widower wearing a sarong in a rice field staring at water buffalo, and DiggityDoink

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

They would have been just as disgusting in a snack mix as they were by themselves. It was a $2 crapshoot at the Asian market. I'm not worried

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Bipolar Transistor posted:

If you want to snack on sardines, just get some "Shrimp" crackers you weirdo.

I got some shrimp seaweed chips too. They're pretty fuckin tasty.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sardines with rice and soy sauce is a pretty easy meal

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ColoradoCleric posted:

Sardines with rice and soy sauce is a pretty easy meal

Pan fry this with a bit of sesame seed and nut your way to Valhalla.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Here dat shed kraut. ¡Living food! I loving gently caress gently caress love science arrrgh! :argh:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Has anyone tried pan frying up some dines with sauerkraut?

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Motherfucker eating pilchards straight out of the can next to me at work

I mean dude I know you're trying to "hit your macros" but drat it fuckin stinks here

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Huge_Midget posted:

I am going to have this in my face. I love sheep milk cheese. Once a Slovak exchange student stayed with us and I made bryndzové halušky from scratch, but I had to use feta because I couldn't get bryndza.

Also kimchi and definitely jiggae are totally pro-dad.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Clamps McGraw posted:

Motherfucker eating pilchards straight out of the can next to me at work

I mean dude I know you're trying to "hit your macros" but drat it fuckin stinks here

Are tins of fish suddenly cheaper than boneless skinless chicken breast, 'cause I find it hard to believe.

Given what this thread has claimed, that dude is just trying to out-dad you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SopWATh posted:

Are tins of fish suddenly cheaper than boneless skinless chicken breast, 'cause I find it hard to believe.

Given what this thread has claimed, that dude is just trying to out-dad you.

Chicken breast has like zero fat which is vital as well and provided in spades by wonderful oily fish

Also yeah, dude's the office beta now, he's been out dadded. Take down your John Wayne movie posters it's all over