Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I saw an article on Facebook about two garbage men who make over 100k each and both of them dropped out of highschool. Lol at student loans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I said come in! posted:

She lived with her parents while doing all of this though.

You must have poor reading comprehension too. :(

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Volume posted:

I saw an article on Facebook about two garbage men who make over 100k each and both of them dropped out of highschool. Lol at student loans

College is a loving joke and the only thing of any value that can come from it are contacts.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

radiatinglines posted:

that article totally reads like it was written by a humble person who has swallowed their pride

I guess she can't look back in pride at what she achieved after the fact?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Volume posted:

That's because nobody wants to be a garbage man. It's all demand and no supply.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

gannyGrabber posted:

That's because nobody wants to be a garbage man. It's all demand and no supply.

I'd be a garbage man if I didn't live in Chicago. Their union here is always striking and getting their shifts cut.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Wizchine posted:

pride is a sin, didn't you go to church?

You seriously read that article and didn't get annoyed?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wizchine posted:

What did she achieve? Her 15 minutes of fame? I guess it's no different than Al Bundy talking about his 4 touchdown game at Polk High.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
She overcame an English degree, earned enough money to live comfortably, has changed careers to something that personally satisfies her, and doesn't whine like a looser. What, she has to make it into the top 1% before she can lecture that daydreaming loser in the OP?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Someone who writes an "open letter" to some schmuck kid who made Twitter news and turns it into a wankpiece about herself is hosed in the head

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey guys, I am going to choose to move to one of the most expensive states in one of the most expensive cities, and refuse to live with roommates, then take a minimum wage job and then cry about it online.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

In my senior year of high school, my pre-calculus teacher told a story about how he'd gotten frustrated with one class's performance and started ranting about how some of of them were obviously doomed to become garbage men. One girl raised her hand and said, "My dad works in New York City as a garbage man and makes 100k a year, which is more than you make." He had to concede that point to her. Although I think a lot of that is actually benefits.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Clochette posted:

In my senior year of high school, my pre-calculus teacher told a story about how he'd gotten frustrated with one class's performance and started ranting about how some of of them were obviously doomed to become garbage men. One girl raised her hand and said, "My dad works in New York City as a garbage man and makes 100k a year, which is more than you make." He had to concede that point to her. Although I think a lot of that is actually benefits.

Yeah, they get all old magazine and newspapers you could ever want! Also first dibs on old couches and mattresses.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Clochette posted:

Garbage man is often a great paying job. It's outdoor work, year-round in all weather which most people find unpleasant. In the winter you freeze, in the summer you roast and have to deal with smells and bugs. In most places it still involves picking up garbage cans and lifting them into the truck, and since other people's garbage cans are dirty and heavy that is unpleasant. It is near the bottom of the prestige ladder, which matters to some people. So yeah, if they want to attract competent people to the job, they pay out the nose for it.

Even robots don't want the job.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Clochette posted:

:vince:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Clochette posted:

No. good chance he got that as a salary.

Angela Christine posted:

Garbage man is often a great paying job. It's outdoor work, year-round in all weather which most people find unpleasant. In the winter you freeze, in the summer you roast and have to deal with smells and bugs. In most places it still involves picking up garbage cans and lifting them into the truck, and since other people's garbage cans are dirty and heavy that is unpleasant. It is near the bottom of the prestige ladder, which matters to some people. So yeah, if they want to attract competent people to the job, they pay out the nose for it.

Even robots don't want the job.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, they get all old magazine and newspapers you could ever want! Also first dibs on old couches and mattresses.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
they should make an autonomous garbage truck that hires nearby people to grab the stuff the robot arm can't, like some kind of reverse uber, but for trash

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Clochette posted:

And that girl's name? Albert Einstein.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

radiatinglines posted:

Someone who writes an "open letter" to some schmuck kid who made Twitter news and turns it into a wankpiece about herself is hosed in the head

so which minimum wage job are you currently filling?

imo as someone who also graduated at the height of the financial collapse i want to give her a high five because that's the poo poo i had to do to get where i am today. everything she said is correct and that needs to be rammed down kids throats. you will get nowhere in life without hard work and determination.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Most intelligent people already know that life isn't fair. There will always be stupid people that need to have their bad choices explode in their face before they learn a lesson. Same as it ever was.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Most intelligent people already know that life isn't fair. There will always be stupid people that need to have their bad choices explode in their face before they learn a lesson. Same as it ever was.

Thats the loving problem. We should tell our kids to learn a trade, instead of going to college.

poo poo. That is what our parents should have told us

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But then who will the for profit university system grind under their heels?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

But then who will the for profit university system grind under their heels?

that is why china has smarter people than us

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, a "useless degree" was not a concept 20 years ago. A whole generation had it pounded in to their heads to go college no matter what. If they had the aptitude and inclination to become a doctor/engineer/whatever out of it then that was swell, but the message on all fronts was simply "get any degree and you will be successful in life". Then when they did exactly that they got laughed at and blamed for not getting a "better" degree.

This is ignoring that fact that even a loving engineering degree isn't a sure ticket nowadays. I'm sure there are engineers right now being told "you should have gotten a degree in civil engineering, not mechanical engineering you IDIOT."

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 25, 2016

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, a "useless degree" was not a concept 20 years ago. A whole generation had it pounded in to their heads to go college no matter what. If they had the aptitude and inclination to become a doctor/engineer/whatever out of it then that was swell, but the message on all fronts was simply "get any degree and you will be successful in life". Then when they did exactly that they got laughed at and blamed for not getting a "better" degree.

This is ignoring that fact that even a loving engineering degree isn't a sure ticket nowadays. I'm sure there are engineers right now being told "you should have gotten a degree in civil engineering, not mechanical engineering you IDIOT."

You can't make big money unless you have big friends.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I hate yankees posted:

so which minimum wage job are you currently filling?

imo as someone who also graduated at the height of the financial collapse i want to give her a high five because that's the poo poo i had to do to get where i am today. everything she said is correct and that needs to be rammed down kids throats. you will get nowhere in life without hard work and determination.

lol jesus loving christ

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

And that girl's name? Albert Einstein.

I can see why you would think that if I claimed this girl was my classmate and I witnessed it firsthand, but I just heard it secondhand from my math teacher. And I can't imagine he would make up a story that made him look stupid and underpaid.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

I still don't understand the mindset of people who can't imagine living anywhere but San Francisco, even if it means essentially living in poverty. Doesn't having no money kind of negate all the benefits of living in a city with lots to do since you can't afford to do anything but go home and sit in your tiny your studio apartment?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
yeah honestly you're better off in the burbs on that income because you might be able to do something

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Death By Yogurt posted:

I still don't understand the mindset of people who can't imagine living anywhere but San Francisco, even if it means essentially living in poverty. Doesn't having no money kind of negate all the benefits of living in a city with lots to do since you can't afford to do anything but go home and sit in your tiny your studio apartment?

poo poo like the bay is fun if youre 25 and single and are out fuckin' and drinkin' four nights a week. it's a terrible place to be normal or raise a family unless youre a multi millionaire

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Clochette posted:

I can see why you would think that if I claimed this girl was my classmate and I witnessed it firsthand, but I just heard it secondhand from my math teacher. And I can't imagine he would make up a story that made him look stupid and underpaid.

I'm just joshin' yah.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I can second the "get a degree" thing that was pushed a lot. In fact, people who worked with their hands were looked down upon quite often "oh yeah they just weren't good at school". It's pretty dumb. Really it should be about playing to your strengths. Not every kid is going to excel at math at the same time not every kid is going to excel at building things. I know I would have never been able to work a trade. I failed every single project in shop class, not a drat thing I made worked or fit specifications. Thought I was handicap for the longest time growing up.

naem
May 29, 2011

It's not like there are infinite jobs in the trades either, there are construction booms and busts just like in any field

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My buddy got a union job 5 years ago at Ford and he's making +$100k a year already. Just regular blue collar work in a factory and a bunch of overtime. There's not a day that goes by that he doesn't regret spending 4 years in college instead of just taking that job right out of high school like he had originally planned, but was talked out of by a guidance counselor. I didn't go to college and now I'm a limited partner in a pretty large financial firm. There's only 3 of my friends that use their degree for their career and they are in music and education.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
There's more to college than just job training :ssh:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Big City Drinkin posted:

really?
How long has it been since you had a real job?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I think he was referring to, like, SEX

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

really?
How long has it been since you had a real job?

0 milliseconds?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big City Drinkin posted:

Right, and that's the trap. A lot of students study things that are interesting, rather than things that are useful. Stuff that helps you make witty conversation, not stuff that helps you get a good job. Which is fine if your family is independently wealthy and you are just going to school to pick up class markers and make connections. It's not such a great idea for the lower middle class who have no college fund and are going tens of thousands into debt because psychology or english lit is super interesting.

As a dumb first year student I remember thinking that since I struggled with high school math (got Cs) that I'd probably be bad at calculus and college level science, so I shouldn't do that. I was really good at sociology, cultural anthropology, and psychology and those subjects are interesting to me, but they don't lead to any particular careers. I cleverly decided that if I didn't go to college at all I would be poor, while if I went and took something not-career related I still might not get a very good job and be beggared by debt, but at least I'd bee well educated. Being poor and educated is better than being poor and ignorant, right? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
people who only have a high school diploma are pretty unbelievably hosed in the U.S. and it's silly to point to a small handful of high paying union jobs that are not remotely accessible to most people as any sort of challenge to that

• Locked thread