Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

syscall girl posted:

This is a prime example of cuckingstone. It only forms when a cuckeurite smashes into common limestone and converts the surrounding minerals into cuckulite. The parents then raise it as their own.

*titters*

E: Oh gently caress this has got to be my worst page snipe ever and I didn't even notice for like 2 hours :cripes:

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 07:20 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

anusite

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
I've been showing my young'un some of the classic Looney Tunes. One of my favorites was "Knight-Mare Hare", the one with the knight and the dragon and Merlin getting turned into a horse.

quote:

Sir O of K: Surrender, varlet. Thou art the prisoner of me lance.

Bugs Bunny: I art? And whomsoever art thou, in thy cast-iron tuxedo?

Sir O of K: I, knave, am Sir O of K, Earl of Watercress, Sir Osis of the Liver, Knight of the Garter, and Baron of Wooster-cester-shister-shyster-schuster-shuster-shister-shire... shire.

Sir Osis of the Liver.

Cirrhosis of the Liver.

:aaa:

Granted, I would never get that as a grade school student, but I'd understood when Bugs replied with "Duke of Ellington", "Count of Basie" and such. Go figure.

Mezzanine has a new favorite as of 08:23 on Feb 15, 2016

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Mezzanine posted:

I've been showing my young'un some of the classic Looney Tunes. One of my favorites was "Knight-Mare Hare", the one with the knight and the dragon and Merlin getting turned into a horse.

Sir Osis of the Liver.

Cirrhosis of the Liver.

:aaa:

Granted, I would never get that as a grade school student, but I'd understood when Bugs replied with "Duke of Ellington", "Count of Basie" and such. Go figure.

One of these days I need to go back and watch as much Looney Tunes as I can to catch jokes I missed as a kid.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Doughnuts. As in

+

Not like a walnut-nut.

EDIT: God loving poo poo-drat.

Lamprey Cannon has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Feb 22, 2016

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Doughnuts. As in

+

Not like a walnut-nut.

Seems like the thread lives up to its title yet again.

Wordorigins.org posted:

The nut comes from the size and shape of these balls, literally nut-like objects made out of dough.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
When people have been discussing the movie "Room" they aren't talking about the movie "the room".

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dr_Amazing posted:

When people have been discussing the movie "Room" they aren't talking about the movie "the room".

They're not talking about http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0258000/ either :|

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Guys, they're talking about Four Rooms ok?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I thought they were talking about Romy and Michele's High School Reunion.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought to myself, "you know, cenotaph is like an empty tomb, and cenote is a kind of hole in the ground, they must have similar etymology".

I literally couldn't have been more wrong. Cenote is from the Mayan, and cenotaph is (kenos = empty and taphos = tomb) from the Ancient Greek. :tmyk:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I didn't just realize it, but it's definitely a Duh Moment that has come to a head again recently since I'm now getting a shoutout on a podcast I support:

My nick here comes from my irl nickname, Bibs. Pronounced as its typed. Lobster bib, MisterBibs.

It took me maybe a few years to realize that such a pronunciation was loving with how people guess-pronounce my full last name. The Bib in my last name is pronounced Beeb.

My only defense in not putting two and two together is that nobody has ever guess-pronounced my last name right in the history of my life anyway, long before I had the nickname. Linguistically, 'Bibwhatever' isn't assumed to be Beebwhatever'.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Mar 1, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Your last name is Bibfortuna?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Your last name is Bibfortuna?

I'm picturing someone with that last name, upset as gently caress over it, and I'd be jealous of it just because, hey, nobody is butchering it all the time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Maybe nobody's butchering your last name, they'll just say "Jabba no badda" all the time.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Dey jabba no wanna wanga.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Two word-related realizations:

Seldom means a lot less than I thought it would. It's synonymous with hardly or barely. This whole time I thought it meant sometimes, like nearly half the time. It's usually used as a negative.

Amalgam has an accent on the second syllable, not the first. This entire time I've been pronouncing it A'-mal-gam, and I've never heard otherwise. In my defense, this pronunciation totally sounds like its definition, meaning a mixture of stuff (like it's a mixture of random syllables). :colbert:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I pronounce it "Uh-mal-gum" though I knew someone that said it, "Aye-male-gum" but he was from Minnesota.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just figured out :black101: is called "black101" because it's a black metal take on smileys like :eng101:.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Receipt, like the noun, is a past participle of the verb receive.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out - Questionable etymology ITT

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I listened to a ton of Primus in the mid-late 90s.

About 7-8 years ago, I got into Tom Waits and still listen to his music all the time.

I just realised that it was him singing on the song Tommy the Cat. It came on randomly earlier today on Google Play and I had a very much :aaaaa: moment.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Receipt, like the noun, is a past participle of the verb receive.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out - Questionable etymology ITT

And likewise 'reception.'

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Recipes used to be called receipts. I have "Dr Chase's Receipt Book" which is all recipes, no finances involved.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That sound in "Jump Around" by House of Pain isn't a distorted scream, it's a squeal on a trumpet or some other brass instrument.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

I pronounce it "Uh-mal-gum" though I knew someone that said it, "Aye-male-gum" but he was from Minnesota.

I have a theory that the guys from MST3K/Rifftrax deliberately mispronounce words to get angry fan letters or that the Midwest is just utterly horrible at pronunciation.

Every single ep has some horribly mangled words or the emphasis is just so far off that they may have never spoken or heard spoken the words in question.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

syscall girl posted:

I have a theory that the guys from MST3K/Rifftrax deliberately mispronounce words to get angry fan letters or that the Midwest is just utterly horrible at pronunciation.

Every single ep has some horribly mangled words or the emphasis is just so far off that they may have never spoken or heard spoken the words in question.

I never watched it growing up where I did, but if they were nerdy like me, they read more words than they heard & so a bunch of those words would just end up being pronounced however their brain would think it made sense. It's not like spelling makes sense in real life once you get past the really old words.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also sometimes it's fun to mispronounce words, hack yeah.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Memento posted:

About 7-8 years ago, I got into Tom Waits and still listen to his music all the time.

I just realised that it was him singing on the song Tommy the Cat. It came on randomly earlier today on Google Play and I had a very much :aaaaa: moment.

Holy poo poo. I always wondered why it sounded so "off" on live versions.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I read most of an article about snow leopards in Smithsonian Magazine before realizing they weren't talking about clouded leopards.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

I love Primus and Tom Waits.

For those who haven't seen or heard it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OhIU-PmB8

I had no idea Waits was Tommy, btw

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

syscall girl posted:

I love Primus and Tom Waits.

For those who haven't seen or heard it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OhIU-PmB8

I had no idea Waits was Tommy, btw

The origin of furries, I'm pretty sure. I'm the tomcat holding his bandaged tail & bouncing

e: lmao I forgot his weirdly long arms

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 09:06 on Mar 5, 2016

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
No no no, it was Paula Abdul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweiQukBM_k

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_the_Cat_Dancer

Sneaking into the adult comic section of the library in 1991 should have hosed me up more than it did.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also that cat raps like a white man.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Look at everyone in this thread who never saw Fritz the Cat

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Flyinglemur posted:

Look at everyone in this thread who never saw Fritz the Cat

Crumb doesn't count. Man is a walking talking fetish machine.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I still remember reading the one where he's angry at feminists or something and it turns into this weird unbirthing thing where he's crawled all up inside a woman and makes her run around and destroy buildings. I read that poo poo when I was 10. Not into unbirthing.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

While I was aware of this I just made the connection that the cat and Waits are both Tom. I guess I knew but it never really occured to me, never clicked if you will.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The jingle for a shoe store here (the Shoe Shed) is very roughly to the tune of Footloose.
And moments after I realised that, it's probably a roundabout pun. (Shoe/Foot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

how much better a compressor effect makes my guitar playing sound