Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

klen dool posted:

How loving tone-deaf do you have to be to use Pink Floyd to promote trumps ideas?!?!

Like Trump, Pink Floyd is mostly enjoyed by old white men who long for the old days that may have never even existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's a song about walls and Trumps builds 'em. What's not to get?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Is their sorting hat also a oval office?

No, because it likes Peanut Piston.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Slavvy posted:

Yup, school absolutely annihilated any sense of respect for authority I had.

Same, except it was more the common masses. Rules and authority figures never beat me around the head with a brick or broke my fingers.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Like Trump, Pink Floyd is mostly enjoyed by old white men who long for the old days that may have never even existed.

well, good point....

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Pretty sure pink floyd is mostly enjoyed by stoners these days.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

My favourite is the "I like the Donald!" badge.

I imagine someone saying this while a thin rope of drool creeps slowly out of the side of their mouth.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

klen dool posted:

How loving tone-deaf do you have to be to use Pink Floyd to promote trumps ideas?!?!

♫ We don't need no

education... ♫

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
ahahaha if you live in auckland and don't own property you are hosed

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

ahahaha if you live in auckland and don't own property you are hosed

What's happened, have they finally made land owners into feudal lords?

Is all the other property in the region owned by John Key and his network of undeclared secret trusts?

Is 100% of currently unowned land being bought to give away to some git from a country John Key wants to sell milk to?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/bernardchickey/status/702312698566971393
https://twitter.com/bernardchickey/status/702312828338700288

https://twitter.com/bernardchickey/status/702323541430005760

https://twitter.com/bernardchickey/status/702325138658762756
https://twitter.com/bernardchickey/status/702325768173416448

great stuff

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
In some cases, it should be legal to kill people.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We'll only find utopia when cunty old people get recognised as the disease they are and dealt with accordingly.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

As someone who maybe hopes to live in Auckland some day this makes me sad.

Tho in 30 years I'll inherit a share in my baby boomer parents' house in central Auckland which will still be surrounded by other low density houses. So at least I've got that going for me.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Lorde bought a house and she's young.

Case closed

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Wish she'd bought the farm instead.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've been trying to buy for a year now. Great market if you want to rent out a slum to immigrants. Not so much if you want to live there for less than the price of land in the suburbs.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
The weird thing about both Wellington and Auckland is that they are geographically constrained — Auckland is about 10 meters wide and Wellington is surrounded by loving mountains. So you'd think it would be in both cities' interests to have high-density housing (and public transport) where space is at a premium, then have larger quarter-acre suburban places out in far-flung suburbs for families. Especially where you are projecting Auckland's population to grow by a million or so people in the next 5 years.

Instead, there are townhouses and mansions about 5 minutes' walk each way from the city centres. Why would you sell or support high-density housing, if you have a house in Mount Vic or Parnell?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That's essentially Auckland's problem in a nutshell - it's constrained on two sides by the natural barriers that are gentrified 'character' suburbs surrounding the inner city hub, by the harbour itself, and finally by the massive motorways running out of its rear end in a top hat to service the sprawl. It can't feasibly go up very far because of sunlight protections and in Newmarket, where it's managed to squeeze some development out past Parnell nimbys due to the insulating Domain, there's a mandated viewpoint of Rangitoto that sets a severe height restriction across the entire length of the motorway section out to the water. Although it is slowly making its way down Great North.

The only answer is to intensify in the suburbs, which can't be serviced by the existing transport infrastructure and are fought on every single level because of pearl clutchers who think a three-story apartment complex will devalue their asset that's only worth what it is because the market dictates it should be intensified, and it would have years ago if the constant answer from central government weren't to simply release more land for more sprawl because it's easier than explaining to people that their rates are so high because there are so few people living in so much land that's increasingly inefficient and that's why even the beautified areas of the central city that the council is so proud to spend their money on look like a loving dump six months after construction.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
If you wanna live in auckland soon, buy in Hamilton now

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Maybe if they want to do something about Auckland's housing market without building new houses they should implement some sort of capital gains tax or something I'm just spitballing here

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think that would basically be putting a fire out by putting a large log on it. You're still in the situation where you have a growing populace, really lovely building controls and popular opposition to intensification, and a bunch of people at the top who made out large with big property portfolios. The problems are still there, you've just made it so they can't burn as easily for a while by flipping houses - instead they'll simply increase their rents as the competition for housing increases due to the shortfall of new homes, and if they're unlucky might have to sell one to cover mortgage adjustments.

Capital gains alone will do nothing but slice off a piece of the pie for the government. That slice either needs to go straight back to Auckland in first-home affordable housing schemes, or they need to prohibitively impede portfolio owner's access to financing for homes.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Just kill anyone who owns more than one home.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

In other news, Don Brash remains slimy racist/sexist oval office:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11595081

"Was she not charged because she was a woman or because she's Maori? I don't know, but she thought it was a huge joke and was delighted when she wasn't charged."

"Does Don Brash have sex with animals? I don't know, but he's awfully cagey about it and hasn't directly denied it."

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
If that was true it would be the only time being Maori results in someone not being charged.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Taitale posted:

If that was true it would be the only time being Maori results in someone not being charged.

But but but... reverse racism, the m-ow-rees get everything

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Maybe she wasn't charged because it was funny and Brownlee isn't a crybaby.

Not everything is a conspiracy by Minorities.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
She wasn't charged because she is a national hero, and as we know from the ruggers, national heroes don't get in trouble.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Which one of you fuckers called in a bomb threat to my school?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

All I said was that Max Key was going to be DJing there this afternoon.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

To divert the conversation a little, anyone else find it a bit hypocritical that the Aussies are complaining about the NZ crowd being "too abusive" after they a) had 2 players fined during the last test for being aggressive towards an umpire & b) are ok with sledging the Black Caps because they're "too nice"?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/77277090/david-warner-opens-up-on-derogatory-and-vulgar-crowd-abuse-in-new-zealand

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Which one of you fuckers called in a bomb threat to my school?

Seems to be the thing these days. All of the international schools where I am have had bomb threats phoned in. It's an automated message, same one to all of them

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Just kill anyone who owns more than one home.

Does a Bach count?

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

I flat in Parnell, I think I'll go out and scream wordlessly at some wealthy old people on the street. I can't get over the claims that this is a victory for democracy, how the gently caress does that work? I bet if you put it to a citywide vote most people would see the sense in increasing housing density and would vote accordingly; that would be an actual victory for democracy. Needs of the many etc. In any case I think people are too loving self-interested to be trusted with having a voice in the growth of a whole goddamn city especially when they have a vested interest completely counter to what is good for the city's future. I have bile in my mouth and a headache from reading some of the retarded opinion pieces that have come out in response to the council's decision.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

People are too self interested to have a voice in anything that concerns them even indirectly.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghostlight posted:

All I said was that Max Key was going to be DJing there this afternoon.

LOL.

Part of the housing problem is there seems to be very low standard as to what an apartment is. No one wants to live in a poo poo shoe box, but that's what is getting pushed. I didn't mind that too much when I was in Japan where they had the public transport infrastructure to match, but with every poo poo box you are going to need a parking space on top. Half the building is going to have to be a parking lot.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Trompe le Monde posted:

I flat in Parnell, I think I'll go out and scream wordlessly at some wealthy old people on the street. I can't get over the claims that this is a victory for democracy, how the gently caress does that work? I bet if you put it to a citywide vote most people would see the sense in increasing housing density and would vote accordingly; that would be an actual victory for democracy. Needs of the many etc. In any case I think people are too loving self-interested to be trusted with having a voice in the growth of a whole goddamn city especially when they have a vested interest completely counter to what is good for the city's future. I have bile in my mouth and a headache from reading some of the retarded opinion pieces that have come out in response to the council's decision.

I've noticed that there is a tendency for landowners to refer to themselves as 'ratepayers' and therefore they think they have more of a say in things the local and regional government does, because they pay rates. They think that democracy means democracy of the landed gentry only, which of course makes it... not democracy.

They're completely wrong, because anybody who lives in a house and pays rent pays rates, because they pay rent to the landlord, who in turn pays the rates on their behalf.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Trompe le Monde posted:

I bet if you put it to a citywide vote most people would see sense

Vous must bez joking!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

oohhboy posted:

LOL.

Part of the housing problem is there seems to be very low standard as to what an apartment is. No one wants to live in a poo poo shoe box, but that's what is getting pushed. I didn't mind that too much when I was in Japan where they had the public transport infrastructure to match, but with every poo poo box you are going to need a parking space on top. Half the building is going to have to be a parking lot.

Nah this is the argument that gets trotted out all the time and it's bs. Increased density doesn't mean everyone will have to move into 20 sq meter apartments. It just means a 2 storey height restriction in an inner city suburb is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's kind of weird that the scenario from logans run is now almost the only viable solution to 90% of the world's problems

• Locked thread