Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The best part is if the iPhone/icloud account is "unhackable" that just means icloud call center in Bangladesh isn't allowed to reset passwords, so nobody can get back in their accounts or phones, so the logical/rational thing to do for the user is to literally write down the password and pin and keep that on their person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

broken clock opsec posted:

i love it

they're going to make a phone that's going to be an absolute nightmare in terms of userfriendliness

pitching the toys out of the pram

as it were

the phone will require a 16 digit alphanumeric password with mixed case and special characters in addition to a fingerprint and facial recognition

touch id will also check your heart rate to make sure you're not unlocking the phone under duress

unauthorized accessories, opening the phone, or failing the unlock three consecutive times will ditch the keys

out most secure phone ever!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Sorry your too much of a tech slave to use only local tech products, and then think it's unfair when the country you import luxury goods from has the gall to do anything you don't like
the only local tech products i could buy are herbal vaporizers. and i already have 3

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

infernal machines posted:

add a feature that lets them enter a pin over the lightning connection

Lol why not ask for a pony? Hey phone company i want a wiretap and b&o headphones to listen to it too, chop chop!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
B&O ftw

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Kelly cartoon of the police eating bon bons and crying lady liberty holding Tim up while he codes away

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
wat wait i got it

they could use THE BLOCKCHAIN to verify phone ownership

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

no loving poo poo. what does that have to do with the encryption?

are you retarded

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

maniacdevnull posted:

Lol why not ask for a pony? Hey phone company i want a wiretap and b&o headphones to listen to it too, chop chop!

they are flexible. they said Bluetooth or wifi was acceptable as well.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

are you retarded

without a doubt, you should still learn the difference between encryption and security tho

otherwise you might say something loving stupid on the internet when you're trying to act like you know what you're talking about

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
he clearly said numerous times that the security is only as strong as its weakest link and hes right

you can encrypt something with a million rounds of sha-256 and if the password is password1 your still hosed how do you not get this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i do get it, my whole point has been that the encryption is not being affected. reading comprehension is important

apple, despite the headlines and the protestations of yosposters has not been asked to backdoor their encryption

words matter. learn words

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

gargle chome posted:

the security of the system depends on the whole system and this is a backdoor around a security feature.

words matter. learn words

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so did i disagree with him, or did i ask what his post had to do with encryption?

for extra credit, explain specifically in technical terms how bypassing a pin lockout weakens encryption specifically.

not device security, the data encryption

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 25, 2016

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

so did i disagree with him, or did i ask what his post had to do with encryption?

... so you are retarded.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quite probably, but i also know that encryption and security are not synonyms

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
you're the only one who's claiming they are

apple is not "OMG HAXXORING SHA" the way your straw man keeps shouting, they're being asked to create a tool that will let the police brute force a passcode and render any encryption moot

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

A Pinball Wizard posted:

create a tool that will let the police brute force a passcode and render any encryption moot
256 bit aes encryption is cracked already?

can you finally war drive around the neighbourhood at warp speed?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THC posted:

the only local tech products i could buy are herbal vaporizers. and i already have 3

If your country is so small it doesn't even have local PC or other device manufacturers, you're literally an insignificant peasant on the global scale and you should be lucky you can afford an iphone, plebe.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
just thank god Canada doesn't mandate blackberry.....yet

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
lol you go infernal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

you're the only one who's claiming they are

apple is not "OMG HAXXORING SHA" the way your straw man keeps shouting, they're being asked to create a tool that will let the police brute force a passcode and render any encryption moot

nice alarmism, but no, if you have a good password this won't do poo poo. don't use a simple pin if you have stuff to hide

here's a hint, if the combo to your luggage is 12345, you're probably hosed anyway, if not, you're fine and your dick picks and reddit memes are as safe as ever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

zen death robot posted:

no one uses a huge loving password on their phones

of course they don't because realistically, they don't care if the FBI looks at their phone with a valid reason, after receiving a court order, by judicial authority

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what's the point of a pin or encryption if the cops or anyone basically can hack into it in 5
minutes. I mean that's what is going to happen when apple release this hack

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fraping is going to go through the roof

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zen death robot posted:

no one uses a huge loving password on their phones

Um... yo.

with touchid it isn't like you have to type it in all that often.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah i have a good password in my phone too because it is super easy to never enter it with touchid

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
and by good i just mean like alpha and special char and like 10 digits and not dictionary based

its super easy to just type it once a month when i reboot

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
you reboot your phone once a month? phone janitor much?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

If your country is so small it doesn't even have local PC or other device manufacturers, you're literally an insignificant peasant on the global scale and you should be lucky you can afford an iphone, plebe.
yes i am very lucky to be able to buy great Apple products under the benevolent gaze of Tim Cook

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

tim's giving the feds the finger. also the FT reported that apple is gonna make icloud more secure too so they have zero knowledge. not sure if they'll do that by default or make it an option tho cause if u lose ur pass ur screwed

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/25/technology/apple-is-said-to-be-working-on-an-iphone-even-it-cant-hack.html

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

tim pls ship the iPhone 5se tho

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

kwinkles posted:

yeah i have a good password in my phone too because it is super easy to never enter it with touchid
:agreed:

seriously though, how easy is it to crack like a 12 alphanumeric non-dictionary based 256 bit aes encrypted stuff? is it on the same level of WEP for wifi?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

zen death robot posted:

cremnob you must post your own thoughts without using links to news articles from now on in this thread

thats what i did retard

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

less than a year after launch

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zen death robot posted:

cremnob you must post your own thoughts without using links to news articles from now on in this thread

can he also not post his thoughts?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Stymie posted:

can he also not post his thoughts?

That's a lot more assumptions than im prepared to contemplate

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

zen death robot posted:

to be more specific, no you did not because you pasted a link to a news article - i know this is probably very nearly a completely subconscious thing you do and you're not in control of it or whatever but you know, you did - it's there, in your post.

ok i dont care cause ill continue to post links news articles

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cremnob posted:

thats what i did retard

stfu fucktard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cremnob posted:

ok i dont care cause ill continue to post links news articles