Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh I thought HyperV was just a service running on top of a base Windows server. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Oh I thought HyperV was just a service running on top of a base Windows server. My bad.
Well depending on your deployment scenario, it can appear to be that. Hyper-V runs on the bare metal, and the initial windows install becomes a more privileged guest.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

mewse posted:

Quoting myself from a few pages back.

This same coworker now wants me to use a Workstation license for the server because we have licenses for Workstation available.

Can someone give me quick bullet points to why I should use the free hypervisor instead of Workstation?

I'd rather have a bare metal hypervisor and I don't think Workstation will work with our Veeam install.

e: crap I just read that the free hypervisor locks out the APIs for Veeam as well

e: maybe I will check out hyper-v.....

God drat, find a new job.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I left out the part where he told my supervisor 3 times that the free hypervisor can't be used in a production environment and I couldn't contain myself and said "that's not my understanding" and he blew up on me, ending the conversation with "FINE I GUESS YOU KNOW MORE THAN ME", turning his back and shaking his head.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can use the free hypervisor in production. I just got my VCP last week, so your co-worker can suck my left nut.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also, stop being cheap fucks and just get the VMware Essentials package. That will give you the storage APIs you need and gives you the option of adding more hosts if you ever need too. Plus you can open paid incident support cases. It's $560.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
You have two options:

One is to deploy a hypervisor you're not enthusiastic about because some guy is on a power trip to protect his kingdom.

The other is to have a conversation with your boss, without this guy present, where you clearly lay out that the free version can be used. And that proceeding with Hyper-v or workstation is unnecessary, and penny wise but pound foolish even if it weren't because you're throwing away resiliency, expandability, and expensive veeam and other external tooling (in the case of workstation) or introducing a split infrastructure where other employees cannot take over your duties if something happens and there's no knowledge transfer (Hyper-v). Plus, can you use Hyper-v veeam backups on VMware or vice versa?

It's very simply a business case. Ignore the technical aspects, except to point out that you can use this.

Either way, start job hunting

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

mewse posted:

Quoting myself from a few pages back.

This same coworker now wants me to use a Workstation license for the server because we have licenses for Workstation available.

Can someone give me quick bullet points to why I should use the free hypervisor instead of Workstation?

Less resource usage
Less surface exposure to attack
Technically less patching/outages
It can be upgraded via key inside the VMware ecosphere vs having to migrate a big chunk of data.

Is the $500 essentials kit still around on the new pricing model something you could look at?

Depending on your workload you could look into Azure Stack https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/azure-stack/ It's in technical preview so beware, and i'm unsure if any pricing structures are out there yet.

If I had sometime back at a prior employer that sounds like your current place, I would of stuck with the XenServer (or another KVM solution) and invested more into a better SAN/infrastructure vs VMware route.

Which speaks to an issue if you don't have some kind of shared storage your not going to gain a huge amount as your weak link will still be the host hardware. Your going to be putting all your eggs in one bare budget solution being workstation or any hypervisor solution.

e;fb

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Nitpick: XenServer is not KVM.

Serious comment: if you can't afford a SAN, you should at least run Nutanix CE or something so you can easily expand later. Even a spare server providing NFS or DFS+CIFS is better than local (though you could throw that server into Nutanix or whatever if you can get access to it)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Option C: a so-so hit man will run you a cool 25k. Weigh your risk and ROI.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

mewse posted:

I left out the part where he told my supervisor 3 times that the free hypervisor can't be used in a production environment and I couldn't contain myself and said "that's not my understanding" and he blew up on me, ending the conversation with "FINE I GUESS YOU KNOW MORE THAN ME", turning his back and shaking his head.

Nothing in the license agreement stopping you from running production/revenue generating applications on it. Should really look at dropping 500bux on vSphere Essentials at a minimum:

"The vSphere Essentials Kit licenses are perpetual and does not expire. It includes 6 CPU licenses of vSphere Essentials (for 3 servers with up to 2 processors each) and 1 license for vCenter Server Essentials"

Most 3rd party tools will integrate with vCenter instead of ESXi directly.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

KillHour posted:

You can use the free hypervisor in production. I just got my VCP last week, so your co-worker can suck my left nut.

The best part is this dipshit is probably running Microsoft software in production illegally via an Action Pack or MSDN license or something. Because everyone I've ever encountered in IT who massively overestimates their abilities is doing that, pretty much without exception.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't think we can buy essentials because we have an existing vSphere + vCenter VDI infrastructure with 900 desktops

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

mewse posted:

I don't think we can buy essentials because we have an existing vSphere + vCenter VDI infrastructure with 900 desktops
Unless something has changed recently, they'll sell you as many as you want to buy, you just can't attach the hosts to a non-Essentials cluster. You have to manage each Essentials cluster separately. (Essentials editions do not support Linked Mode.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That becomes slightly relevant if you're buying Veeam - you can only have one Veeam Essentials license per company.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Would our existing Veeam deployment be able to hook up with a new, separate vsphere essentials instance?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Well the guy went around me and my boss tells me I'm using workstation so nevermind

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

mewse posted:

Well the guy went around me and my boss tells me I'm using workstation so nevermind

Hahaha. Running a production VoIP server within Workstation?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mewse posted:

Your boss doesn't respect you, and this guy is impossible to work with.

New job time!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Moey posted:

Yes

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Fight back on this and do anything else.

What is the software? Does it have built in database backups? Maybe roll with the free ESXi license, then get nightly database backups with the software itself, then use GhettoVCB to get weekly full backups of the VM? I have no played around with GhettoVCB in years, but it claims to support the free version still.

Also take a look at these, not sure if they are still relevant at all though. http://www.v-front.de/2014/05/free-backup-for-free-esxi-thinware.html

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Moey posted:

Oh god audio in workstation is terrible. I tried to run a radio station (using liquid soap and icecast). icecast running in the VM caused the stream to crash every 15-20 minutes complaining about hardware access. Running liquidsoap in the VM caused occasional delays but the buffer was big enough to handle it and throw warnings. None of these issues happened using the same setup on the host OS. This was a personal project so running icecast on the host ended up being acceptable.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Document your concerns about why this a bad idea and send it to your boss. Don't be adversarial, just state your case for prosterity.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I went and spoke to my boss about it when angry guy went for lunch. I printed out the vSphere pricing whitepaper and highlighted the relevant sections.

She was receptive to the whitepaper and I hopefully killed the idea that the free hypervisor can't be used in production. There is a table that lists the features included with vSphere, the first item is "Hypervisor", I explained when you first install the software it includes all those features on a 60 day trial but then when you apply the free license key it disables all of them and just leaves the hypervisor with a permanent license.

I also made this spreadsheet:

She likes being presented with options so I used this spreadsheet to illustrate all the ways we can go. She didn't know that our existing license for 2008R2 Standard includes the ability to run a copy of itself inside Hyper-V, she thought it would require an additional Windows license as well. She didn't understand what I was saying until I explained that Enterprise includes host + 4 VMs.

She also seemed receptive to the idea that Workstation is inappropriate. I said "Workstation isn't designed to run servers, that's why it's called Workstation" and she seemed to agree.

She also listened to my explanation of coworker blowing up on me (supervisor witnessed it anyway) and I don't think she is impressed. I explained I'm not going to argue with him about hypervisor anymore.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Having a licensed copy of workstation does not imply that you have support for workstation, so I'm not even sure what the benefit of using Workstation is supposed to be, absent other information about the support entitlements associated with the licenses.

mewse
May 2, 2006

She started saying we don't have paid support for the hypervisor and I pointed out we don't have paid support for Workstation either

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Why not just do a physical server if you're resorting to using workstation?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mewse posted:

She also seemed receptive to the idea that Workstation is inappropriate. I said "Workstation isn't designed to run servers, that's why it's called Workstation" and she seemed to agree.

Don't tell her about Workstation Server. :ninja:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
GSX is dead :eng99:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Barely competent coworkers don't like it much when their junior employees show them up in front of their boss.

Dot your i's, cross your t's and show up early for the next two weeks or so. If management is still listening to your presentations it sounds like you're in their good graces, but you definitely have a new enemy for the next three weeks or so.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing though.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

evol262 posted:

GSX is dead :eng99:

Workstation does everything GSX ever did, except isn't free. The webUI for Server 2.0 was horrible too. Not that the webUI for ESX is any better. You think we would have learned our lesson.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I was joking about Server Workstation, but I see that's a real product. GSX lives :eng101:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

evol262 posted:

I was joking about Server Workstation, but I see that's a real product. GSX lives :eng101:

Yup, with hostd. Ugh. Such a horrible mess of code, but that is another story.

That said, I love Workstation and Fusion for running small little "servers" at home. I have a mac mini with several VMs for running poo poo like Minecraft and 7 Days to Die. For stuff like there, there is no real benefit to running ESX. Throw Fusion on a mac mini, and enjoy the 6W per hour power consumption when your VMs are idle.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It helps that esxi is free :)

Unless there's free versions of Workstation?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

It helps that esxi is free :)

Unless there's free versions of Workstation?

Player would probably work. That is only for Linux/Windows though. I guess you can create VMs with it now too. I haven't paid much attention to it in a few years. You don't get features like connecting to ESX, and probably stuff like clones, but that might now be a big deal. You also can't use it commercially. The benefit of doing that over ESXi would be support for a wider set of hardware and being able to run it on an OS you wanted for other stuff. I still use my mac for ssh and connecting to my work machines with VNC.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gotcha. I forgot player was a thing.

On the note of desktop pc hypervisors that do other stuff, I moved to Win10 on my htpc and set up Hyper-V as a second, dicking around hypervisor.

My family had trouble using vSphere's thick client, but understood hyper-v manager almost completely by intuition.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Does anyone have a recommendation on a Z170 chipset motherboard that supports vt-d? I'm interested in doing PCI passthrough. Specifically, run a Linux host and pass a graphics card (980ti) directly to a Windows guest.

I've heard some manufacturers, namely ASRock, have a better record of fully supporting vt-d/iommu than others, like Asus.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anecdotal, but my ASRock X99 board works without a hitch.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Win8.1/10 hyper-v role is pretty drat good for running testing VMs for sysadmin purposes. When we refreshed our laptops in IT a few months ago, I made sure to get 16gigs of ram. Switched to using hyper-v instead of an old laptop for my test machine, much cleaner and faster to fire that up off the ssd to test group policies or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DevNull posted:

Player would probably work. That is only for Linux/Windows though. I guess you can create VMs with it now too. I haven't paid much attention to it in a few years.

It's been a few years since I screwed around with it, but I think snapshots are the thing you're most likely to miss on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure it can clone, and your definitely can create VMs. Setting up different virtual networks is trickier, but it can be done. I think the utility for changing those settings isn't included with Player, but it can be pulled out of a Workstation install.