Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Man, I'm glad I managed to squeeze the pony out before the new patch went live. The party finder is poppin, but everyone is just running all of the new content. And from what I hear, there's a lot of it. I'm pretty excited for my copy of HW to get here.

Whoa, new page, I didn't expect all this responsibility.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Finished Midas story tonight. Really great and fun run, but I did it with goons (and I think most of them were a static) and I am having a real hard time imagining pugs doing A7 with any consistency for like, a month.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The enemies in Lost City HM are massive sponges. Man that takes a lot of DPS to burn. I guess it's just the new patch smell and people haven't quite gotten up to gear yet. The final boss is pretty easy, though!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

The enemies in Lost City HM are massive sponges. Man that takes a lot of DPS to burn. I guess it's just the new patch smell and people haven't quite gotten up to gear yet. The final boss is pretty easy, though!

After the first boss? There's an area that's lit up that you have to / have the tank put the mobs in and they get debuffs

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ignimbrite posted:

After the first boss? There's an area that's lit up that you have to / have the tank put the mobs in and they get debuffs

Specifically they get damage dealt down, vulnerability, and slow. It's really nice.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The thing is that even if someone like the tank DCs, sometimes you can recover if the healer is on-point (and the DPS can pick up the slack of dragging hate away). If the healer is dumb or goes AFK? There's no recovering from that.

I'm halfway curious if you can run some of the HW dungeons in an all-PLD group. You have four Clemency and Divine Veils, and you can just Provoke rotate and Hallowed Ground bosses when people need to use Riot Blade to recharge.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

The thing is that even if someone like the tank DCs, sometimes you can recover if the healer is on-point (and the DPS can pick up the slack of dragging hate away). If the healer is dumb or goes AFK? There's no recovering from that.

I'm halfway curious if you can run some of the HW dungeons in an all-PLD group. You have four Clemency and Divine Veils, and you can just Provoke rotate and Hallowed Ground bosses when people need to use Riot Blade to recharge.

It's probably possible, it would just be really slow.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Spike aggro for Warrior feels really awkward following 3.2. It's not so bad once you have aggro, but Warrior feels pretty awful compared to Paladin right on the pull or after a tank swap. Warrior had the same issue in 3.0 to a lesser extent, but you could just brute force it. Now, not so much.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

DRK, meanwhile, feels kind of gross right now. I've only done 4-mans since the patch hit but it feels like if the DPS don't have both thumbs up their asses then I can't afford to drop grit at all.
Plus, I know they didn't change it at all (other than not being able to use Blood Weapon because you need grit enmity), but MP starvation feels worse in Antitower than I remember it being.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I suspect that's because Antitower has smaller trash packs so you get less MP from blood price.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
PLD is back, DRK in the trash, all hail 3.2.

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

This white cooldown circle poo poo on every single one of my buttons every single gcd is awful

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Niton posted:

Spike aggro for Warrior feels really awkward following 3.2. It's not so bad once you have aggro, but Warrior feels pretty awful compared to Paladin right on the pull or after a tank swap. Warrior had the same issue in 3.0 to a lesser extent, but you could just brute force it. Now, not so much.

Oh good, it's not just me. I hadn't touched WAR in a while because I was gearing up a NIN and an AST, and everything just felt kind of ineffective. I was throwing a lot more Steel Cyclones than I normally would for aggro purposes.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

I'll admit I thought of Powerman 5000 when I first heard it but just as like a 'haha, sort of reminds me of it.' That's such a drat babycry reaction from the band, I'm not sure any good will come of it for them.

Niton posted:

Tanks (especially warriors) did way too too high a % of a DPS' damage. The normalization was well overdue.

On that note, 3.2 brought us something very interesting! Thanks to Sky/Stone/Sea, we have the first official DPS numbers direct from SE's balance team. It's weird that SMN is so much lower than BLM, but the spread in estimated damage is pretty low across the board.

I was thinking about this today, and one thing to note though is when you compare the tanks you have to consider storm's for the warrior - in most raid groups the DRK/PLD will be benefiting from some kind of slashing resist down too, but for the DPS that 5-8% increase is sort of omitted, so it actually puts the DRK and WAR pretty close. Really though, WAR's strength has always been how loving absurd berserk is and how amazing it was for how DPS windows worked in Gordias and the various trials we've had, it's not super surprising that the tanks stack down near eachother in the sustained DPS game. Also healer DPS being rated significantly higher than tank puts me on tank suicide watch 2016 considering one of those job groups is always attacking and doesn't have a whole other thing to do usually.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Niton posted:

We have our WAR pull with 3.2 instead of a PLD because their aggro gen is better.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

KaneTW posted:

We have our WAR pull with 3.2 instead of a PLD because their aggro gen is better.

I have no idea what could possibly out-threat the Berserk-Unchained opening, it was so potent before the blanket tank damage nerf that I could open with one maim and one BB combo with it then afk and never lose threat if I wanted.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

brennon posted:

I have no idea what could possibly out-threat the Berserk-Unchained opening, it was so potent before the blanket tank damage nerf that I could open with one maim and one BB combo with it then afk and never lose threat if I wanted.

Yup.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Failboattootoot posted:

Finished Midas story tonight. Really great and fun run, but I did it with goons (and I think most of them were a static) and I am having a real hard time imagining pugs doing A7 with any consistency for like, a month.

I dunno if you are one of the one's I cleared tonight with, but I wholeheartedly agree.

I can't imagine public folk being able to coordinate that poo poo consistently. A5 and A6 you can probably squeak by with a good healer. A8 is hilarious but mostly do-able. A7 requires a lot of coordination and really tight windows (compared to anything in A1-4).

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
A7 punishing lovely tunnelers is the best part about it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Skaw posted:

A7 punishing lovely tunnelers is the best part about it.

Everyone gets punished by the broad hand of Yoship.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm a PLD in VIT so this patch was a buff for me! :haw:

Same, it became increasingly obvious as Heavensward went on that they were tuning damage around VIT builds.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Niton posted:

Klades posted:

DRK, meanwhile, feels kind of gross right now. I've only done 4-mans since the patch hit but it feels like if the DPS don't have both thumbs up their asses then I can't afford to drop grit at all.
Plus, I know they didn't change it at all (other than not being able to use Blood Weapon because you need grit enmity), but MP starvation feels worse in Antitower than I remember it being.

Welcome to the hell Paladins have been experiencing since the start of 3.0

It was loving impossible to switch out of Shield oath for more than 3-4 GCD's and getting quick aggro was a nightmare (esp on big groups).

Welcome to my lovely toilet zone from which there is no escape, the Tank Toilet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rexicon1 posted:

Welcome to the hell Paladins have been experiencing since the start of 3.0

It was loving impossible to switch out of Shield oath for more than 3-4 GCD's and getting quick aggro was a nightmare (esp on big groups).

Hmm, it's weird but unless I was running with some really geared synced people I didn't have trouble swapping into Sword Oath early on and staying there for most 4-man bosses, even pre-patch.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
The paladin in my raid group uploaded our sephirot extreme kill. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/HWaQDr335J0

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hmm, it's weird but unless I was running with some really geared synced people I didn't have trouble swapping into Sword Oath early on and staying there for most 4-man bosses, even pre-patch.

If I was grouping with anyone semi-competent, especially melee, they would start to take aggro from me within a couple combos. Plus, having STR accessories to make up for the DPS meant that the boss would dumpster me a bit faster.

Eventually I just became lazy and stayed in Shield because it never seemed worth it unless FoF is up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Speaking of tanks, I could use tips for getting over this weird cycle of tank anxiety I have. I have confidence in my ability to do what tanks need to do, runs typically always go smooth and I have no problems with things and yet I still go back into that state of being nervous about loving poo poo up in a way that healing or DPSing don't.

I assume the answer is alcohol.

You zone in the dungeon and see the tank ignoring picking up fresh adds who slowly kill the healer to death, or would if the healer didn't heal himself. You see Dark Knight tanks permanently not using Darkside presumably because it's too hard for them to upkeep. You see Paladins never using their cooldowns for anything they come across.

So basically helps when you realize: you will be better than any given tank in the duty finder, don't sweat it.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

So here's something I've been thinking about:

Since Feast is actually going to force compositional balance, and the 4v4/8v8 format brings classes into focus instead of it just being a massive zerg shitshow, balance between classes in-role and as a whole is going to actually need to be a thing. With the double nerf on tanks with the stat slamdown AND the removal of the free 10% (? forget if this is correct) PvP damage bonus on the stones, I'm not sure how great DRK and WAR are any more. WAR still has the almighty holmgang and a healing down debuff, but tanks in FFXIV don't actually have a pvp role like strong control options or a high threat style that develops over time like they do in other MMOs or conceptually similar games like MOBAs. It feels like DRK (and WAR to a lesser extent) might need the ability to actually apply the heavy debuff almost on command, or have some kind of ramping damage or something that outputs consistent pressure, otherwise they are just going to be pretty ineffective HP bags that don't do a whole lot of anything. Weirdly enough, I kind of think PLD is going to be the go to tank now that tank damage in PvP has been insane shitcanned because they can just crap out stuns, can easily get clemency off if being ignored, and have testudo and cover, and their niche utility abilities (pacify on swipe and tempered will) can be extremely strong when deployed against other players.

Also sleep and bind going to be so furiously imbalanced people will realize the true terror of CC.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

MohShuvuu posted:

The paladin in my raid group uploaded our sephirot extreme kill. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/HWaQDr335J0

Haha, that loving achievement name. :allears:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I love Antitower, but also I only run EXDR with friends now, because it is true hell as a healer in roulette if you get people who don't want to do mechanics. With friends I can at least scream at them over voice chat to kill the meteors no stop I don't care about your blood of the dragon go go go

I got the weird inverse of this where during the second boss of Lost City HM, the tank insisted on eating the ancient magic circles whilst he had the corresponding elemental debuff. It gets kinda dicey when the tank is suddenly losing 13k HP in one shot.

And then the normal version where he really didn't want to move the final boss out of its murderdome.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

voltcatfish posted:

You zone in the dungeon and see the tank ignoring picking up fresh adds who slowly kill the healer to death, or would if the healer didn't heal himself. You see Dark Knight tanks permanently not using Darkside presumably because it's too hard for them to upkeep. You see Paladins never using their cooldowns for anything they come across.

So basically helps when you realize: you will be better than any given tank in the duty finder, don't sweat it.

Did a bit of tanking through various roulettes and a Somn Al and I'm already starting to feel less and less funky about stuff. Maybe I just needed to force myself to keep at it a bit more. Thinking of all the horrible, terrible DF tanks I've had in the past helps too though.

It was a good night.

Other than that one instance where I was a massive idiot and was tanking the last trash pull of Somn Al and forgot about the additional dragons that fly in and kind of let our bard kite 2 of them for like 5 minutes. Oops. :derp:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

brennon posted:

Weirdly enough, I kind of think PLD is going to be the go to tank now that tank damage in PvP has been insane shitcanned because they can just crap out stuns, can easily get clemency off if being ignored, and have testudo and cover, and their niche utility abilities (pacify on swipe and tempered will) can be extremely strong when deployed against other players.

Also sleep and bind going to be so furiously imbalanced people will realize the true terror of CC.

Paladin's been the best PVP tank for.. probably always, actually! All the reasons you listed combine to make a pretty phenomenal defensive class.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Niton posted:

Paladin's been the best PVP tank for.. probably always, actually! All the reasons you listed combine to make a pretty phenomenal defensive class.

Yeah but there are three tank classes in this game. What are WAR and DRK going to do in PvP? What is the role of tanks in PvP in general? Maybe this is more tank suicide watch 2016 stuff but I really have no idea what the expected role of the tank for PvP is, does SE think enmity exists against other players or something? I certainly hope the role isn't 'mediocre dps you kill last'

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
When is a good time to start gathering/crafting?

Is it like WoW where you will regret it if you don't take your gathering professions early on and keep them roughly leveled to the areas you're in? Or is there basically no difference if you start when you already have a combat class to 60? I heard gathering puts all your skills on cooldown for like 1min so it seems like a huge pain; is that true?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Gathering classes are significantly more closely tied to crafting classes that combat ones. I mean, it's nice if you spot a good ming spot as you're clearing out a quest in a new area and can go mine it, but ultimately they don't really have much of an effect on combat.

Having gathering classes makes crafting significantly easier and cheaper, however.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

You can start gathering and crafting whenever you want. Gatherers always have a relevant level of stealth to avoid enemies entirely. Also unlike WoW you're never searching for nodes. If you want to gather you're basically going in a circle in a small area with predefined spawns.

Unrelated note: Sephirot Ex is rad.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

brennon posted:

Yeah but there are three tank classes in this game. What are WAR and DRK going to do in PvP? What is the role of tanks in PvP in general? Maybe this is more tank suicide watch 2016 stuff but I really have no idea what the expected role of the tank for PvP is, does SE think enmity exists against other players or something? I certainly hope the role isn't 'mediocre dps you kill last'
Tanks in PvP are horribly annoying assholes who go in and do irritating things like holmgang or blind you and never ever ever die. See also: healers with VIT rightsides.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Healers who don't have VIT rightside are corpses.

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!

Clairetic posted:

[...] I heard gathering puts all your skills on cooldown for like 1min so it seems like a huge pain; is that true?
The 1min CD is just job switching when out of a sanctuary zone.

Gathering isn't a thing you do for a couple seconds while you're running around doing quests. It's a whole different class that you level, and it has its own quests and gear and all that jazz.

Until you get to "endgame" gathering, and then it can be a thing you do for a couple seconds while you're doing other stuff.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Servers are back up with a 17mb patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The cooldown is 30 seconds, so it's really not that bad.

Plus, most miner/botanist skills won't go on cooldown since they're disabled completely until you hit a node IIRC.

Volume posted:

I can't speak for every one but I'm always nervous as gently caress during healing. I feel like I'm the one most likely to cause a wipe because of my gently caress ups. DPS fucks up? What ever it just takes and extra minute to clear (I actually cleared Snowcloak with just my WHM, a DRK, and SCH). If the tank fucks up, then what ever the healer just stops DPSing and focuses on healing only. But if the healing fucks up, every one just eventually dies.

This is the reason I play healer. If I get a terrible tank or dps, I can probably still finish this poo poo without any real issue.

Terrible healer that dies in 4 man content? I hope you're a SMN.

• Locked thread