Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

http://www.armytimes.com/story/sports/2016/02/22/staff-sergeant-qualifies-rio-olympics-race-walk/80747436/

quote:

Staff Sgt. John Nunn, an active-duty soldier with the Army World Class Athlete Program, qualified for his third U.S. Olympic team Sunday by taking first place in the 50-kilometer race walk trials outside San Diego.

Nunn, 38, finished in 4 hours, 3 minutes, 21 seconds, besting the runner-up by nearly 20 minutes. He defended his 2012 U.S. trials title at the event and was the only American to earn a spot in the Rio de Janeiro Games — no other contestants met the qualifying standard.

I wonder if this dude is like "nah you guys can run I'ma walk" and throws down a 10 minute race walk 2 mile run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I bet NCOs still yell at him to stop walking.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
do they still try to push the "person leading PT does everything the opposite of the formation" thing that came with PRT? When I was in FORSCOM last in 2011 that was a thing some people (not many) took very seriously.

I always thought it was dumb as gently caress. I mean if he is sticking out his left leg, then I'm going to stick out my left leg. IDK why they wanted to change that.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Is this real life? :derp:

http://www.armytimes.com/story/mili...-apft/80566724/

quote:

The Army is on the eve of rolling out new MOS-specific, gender-neutral fitness tests, and new details have begun to emerge.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Because the army is retarded. This is always the answer.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, it sounds odd how and what they want, it doesn't make sense to me, any more than the fitness test they wanted to come out with like 3-4 years ago

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

in my time there were like 2-3 different PT tests, rifles, uniforms, promotion systems and a million other things that according to ArmyTimes were just around the corner

I mean poo poo man you've done like twice as much time as me, it always stays the same gay army

also can't read that because of paywall

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

No, they're just going to get it up to final testing/calibrating or whatever before they throw it all out, just like last time.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i just hope there is a proper event for measuring "heart"

CSM chandler lol what a maroon

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

grader: GIVE ME SOME MOTIVATION AND HEART SOLDIER

Soldier: *makes grimacing face*

Grader: that's an 80/100 grimace score!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

No, they're just going to get it up to final testing/calibrating or whatever before they throw it all out, just like last time.

I actually took one of those new PT tests with a group testing at a large base.

Let me tell you about the standing long jump. If you've ever wanted to injure every muscle/tendon/joint in your body at the same time, that's the thing to do.

Every guy over 20 hurt something. And I don't think a single female was able to pass it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

also can't read that because of paywall

My bad. Here:

quote:

The Army is on the eve of rolling out new MOS-specific, gender-neutral fitness tests, and new details have begun to emerge.

The tests “should be good to go by June,” said Patrick Murphy, acting Army secretary, in a Tuesday interview with Army Times. That plan, and others related to adding women into previously closed military occupational specialties, is contingent on Defense Department approval.

While no final decisions have been made, it’s unlikely every MOS will get its own fitness test, owing to the impracticality of creating and conducting one for each specialty, Army test-developers said. One solution could involve implementing a single test and creating a tiered scoring system — soldiers with high marks could serve in the most physically demanding jobs, while those who eked out passing grades would have their MOS options restricted.

The tests likely will incorporate exercises that soldiers will need on the battlefield, Murphy said, and they are expected to revolve around “advanced individual skills that are MOS-specific, gender-neutral and standards-based.”

quote:

The tests likely will incorporate exercises that soldiers will need on the battlefield

I could make jokes here.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

My bad. Here:

I could make jokes here.

Monkey-fuckers confirmed!

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

It seems like not the worst idea of all time, but maybe that's just me. It's also a good way to give the Ranger Gals a fair shot at the previously segregated spots while denying butthurt males any legit argument about uneven standards.

Drogue Chronicle
Feb 23, 2016

by Cowcaster
The problem is with gender neutral tier 3 standards for minimally qualifying. Either women who just want to be a clerk have to be really physically exceptional or men who want desk jobs will never need to PT in order to pass. Weight regs rather than APFT will be the only real reason to work out for those guys.

I don't think it would be terrible, but I can't see the CSMs standing for it.

CashMoneyRimz
Dec 13, 2005
When the TRADOC commander briefed us on this it seemed like the fitness test was not going to replace the APFT. It was only going to be used to qualify people enlisting for a certain MOS and was pretty much the test they make kids applying to the service academies take (basketball throw, beep test, etc)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
so it will be on USAREC to administer this test? LOL, or MEPs, either way, it will never happen.

Drogue Chronicle
Feb 23, 2016

by Cowcaster
I'm sure they'd readminister it at reception or basic. If you're a day zero failure they can kick you back and reclass you through the general BCT pool rather than OSUT. More work for the AG battalion though.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

do they still try to push the "person leading PT does everything the opposite of the formation" thing that came with PRT? When I was in FORSCOM last in 2011 that was a thing some people (not many) took very seriously.

I always thought it was dumb as gently caress. I mean if he is sticking out his left leg, then I'm going to stick out my left leg. IDK why they wanted to change that.

Yeah, the leader is supposed to mirror the formation so if on the first count the left leg goes back, he puts his right leg back. It's dumb as gently caress.

Also the bike alternate event kinda sucked compared to the walk. The times I've seen it done, you get put on a stationary and it has to be calibrated or some poo poo with the right resistance. I hate hate hate doing the walk for pt tests. I'd rather run, but I can't run, but I'm getting out and haven't taken a PT test in 3 years. Suck it.

CQ shift today. Got my last one on Monday because I have to cover for someone. Easy.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

That motherfuckers haircut that is doing the pushup makes me want to soccer kick that oval office in the head.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I wanna cut that vein. It so big :allears:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

spacetoaster posted:

Now the swim, on the other hand, will make you vomit in the pool.

800 meters 22 minutes? That isn't that rough *if* you know how to swim. Knowing correct form and how to do s turn is super important. Otherwise you work against yourself.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

loving lol

“Most women aren’t going to be able to meet the infantry MOS standard, just like most American men can’t meet the infantry MOS standard,” Murphy said.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That's a pretty silly statement. He's kind of correct, but he's forgetting that anybody who gets in shape can pass an APFT. It's not difficult. No, of course the average fatass off the street can't PT to save their own life. :rolleyes:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Infantry is only for the most elite and physically fit operators, just ignore that 260lb E6 with a broken back and kneecaps ground to dust and that 5'9 PFC whos 132lbs soaking wet.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
throw in a 200 pound bench rest requirement to weed out the real twinks and call it a day.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I still say if the Army actually wanted people to be in shape, they'd make the APFT a triathlon.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

If that happens someone will be like:

We gotta make this combat realistic so 45 lb ruck on all 3 events

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Litter carry during the swim, low crawl with your bike the final 200m.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Making a fitness test a prerequisite for certain MOSes is the stupidest loving thing I have ever heard, that's what smokings in OSUT and PUHLES scores are for jesus christ peacetime army is retarded

We had something similar because the BC got a stick up his rear end about copying the test the 75th had, wear an IOTV and carry some ammo cans on balance beams and vault over a wall and bear crawl, because that's not arbitrary and stupid at all. Our 1SG was height-challenged and couldn't vault over the wall despite being in perfectly good physical condition- it's ridiculous.

Want the PT test to be gender-neutral? Just make everyone be graded on the same scale for combat arms jobs. There's no reason women can't do 8 chin-ups or 60-some push-ups or be good at running, the Army just makes everyone think they can't by treating women differently.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

not caring here posted:

That motherfuckers haircut that is doing the pushup makes me want to soccer kick that oval office in the head.

You seem to be caring there.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

New PT test: See how many green weenies you can fit up your rear end. If it's less than 4, non combat arms.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Making a fitness test a prerequisite for certain MOSes is the stupidest loving thing I have ever heard, that's what smokings in OSUT and PUHLES scores are for jesus christ peacetime army is retarded

We had something similar because the BC got a stick up his rear end about copying the test the 75th had, wear an IOTV and carry some ammo cans on balance beams and vault over a wall and bear crawl, because that's not arbitrary and stupid at all. Our 1SG was height-challenged and couldn't vault over the wall despite being in perfectly good physical condition- it's ridiculous.

Want the PT test to be gender-neutral? Just make everyone be graded on the same scale for combat arms jobs. There's no reason women can't do 8 chin-ups or 60-some push-ups or be good at running, the Army just makes everyone think they can't by treating women differently.

So like it was pretty tough when you were in but now it sucks huh

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Army Thread: I'll have dick with a side of dick, please.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm a page late to swim chat for fitness tests, but I might have some insight into the passing time calculation. When they were setting the passing time for various age ranges in the navy, they tested various service members of all ranks and age groups for the (at the time) two cardio events, running 1.5 miles and swimming either 500 yards or 450 meters (different times for each) depending on the pool setup. Even today the numbers persist. For a 17-19 year old, they have to do the 1.5 mile in 12:30 or swim 500 yards in 12:45 (450m in 12:35) at a minimum and max at 8:15 and 6:30 respectively.

As you get older, the numbers get bigger for the run, but no so much for the swim. Age 35-39 men have to run between 9:25 to max and 15:00 as a minimum (2.5 minutes of more time) vs swim where the max/min shifts only to 6:53 and 13:23. You have to get to the 60-64 age bracket to break 14 minutes max time on the swim yet they get almost 19 minutes on the run.

The reason the run numbers get significantly easier but the swim times never do is that the people who were the samples for the swim test are your lifetime/almost daily swimmers. No one else volunteered for it. These are also the only people who use the swim test.

EDIT: I don't know why I spent time typing all of this up for a bunch of people who certainly don't care. I blame the dayquil.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
So what you're saying is that the army is dumb as gently caress

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Wasabi the J posted:

You seem to be caring there.

Normally I have a standard level of zero fucks. That dickhead gave so many, many fucks that it forced me out of my non gently caress status into a positive gently caress position so the only sound mathematical solution is to kick that gently caress in his fucks thus unfucking the gently caress super position, and releasing all those pent up fucks into the wild.

Also, here's 4 things the army sucks at teaching / doing so no one should be surprised when they suck at it.

1. Physical fitness and strength
2. Gun stuff and shooting junk
3. Driving
4. Winning wars.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
But they're super loving top notch at teaching people how to grind their feet and knees into a fine, arthritic paste!

Hey guys Monday we're gonna ruck 10 miles with 50 pound packs and no lead up events. Then Wednesday we'll do trail runs in combat boots and Friday we'll relax with a brigade run event where you progress forward slower than a walking pace, if not a complete stop or slightly backwards, but you slam your feet up and down with the cadence caller the whole time or your a poo poo bag.

That is an actual week I had in Korea. Ask me about the plates and screws holding my foot together and what traumatic arthritis in the knees and back is, go ahead.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I remember learning absolutely nothing about shooting in OSUT. The only saving grace of the entire thing was that we were exposed to so many ranges, and simulation ranges to learn how to zero and get a proper sight picture that when it came time to qualify people actually made it through.

Which is another story in and of itself, there were so many individuals that had to attempt BRM qual over...and over.......and over it was insane. poo poo, even after going to the firing line 3-4 times people had to wait until the next company would go to the range, get shuttled out with them and shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SumYungGui posted:

But they're super loving top notch at teaching people how to grind their feet and knees into a fine, arthritic paste!

This is crazy, but I support PT mostly on your own as long as you're passing your APFT. With fitness training/classes by people who are actually certified in personal training.

• Locked thread