Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

There are new gestures for "select" and "back" so you can look even more ridiculous in public.

Still waiting for it to show up on my OG 360 though the battery life is really bad on it now, I can't use ambient at all and today it died after six hours for some reason. Can't wait for the 360 v3 or whatever else shows up this year.

Funnily enough I was just thinking about how my OG 360 battery is way better nowadays compared to what I used to get.

I go from 8AM to 10PM and have 35%-45% battery with ambient on.

However, this might be due to the fact that it was acting funny a week ago and I factory reset it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Tunga posted:

There are new gestures for "select" and "back" so you can look even more ridiculous in public.

Video demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xZr0-_QvJA&t=265s

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I got 6.0.1 on my OG 360 yesterday morning. Seems to be nice. It's been on my wrist all day, but I'm WFH so more sedentary than usual, and I'm at 77% since about 7:30am EST'

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I guess I don't understand the way the wifi works . I have a constant message I'm disconnected from the phone when I'm not close enough for Bluetooth range. But randomly it will connect and grab some notifications even though I'm around 50 meters away from the phone and this being with the phone in a locker.

The other issue is twice now I have glanced down and the watch is completely off and won't turn on unless I put it on the charger. It's a moto sport so I have had it about a month.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I guess I don't understand the way the wifi works . I have a constant message I'm disconnected from the phone when I'm not close enough for Bluetooth range. But randomly it will connect and grab some notifications even though I'm around 50 meters away from the phone and this being with the phone in a locker.

The other issue is twice now I have glanced down and the watch is completely off and won't turn on unless I put it on the charger. It's a moto sport so I have had it about a month.

If your phone and watch are on the same WiFi network then Bluetooth isn't used. If your phone doesn't have WiFi always on in the settings what's probably happening is the phone is going idle and therefore dropping off the network disconnecting the watch. When it occasionally reconnects via Bluetooth, you get a notification.

This has to be murder on both batteries.

----------------------------------------

Edit:

One thing I *just* noticed is different on my Moto 360/2 that I haven't seen anyone mention: Ambient Mode is way different. Before it was a point of contention in that it disabled anti-aliasing and thus had a lot of jaggies. This didn't bother me. Now it definitely has at least some anti-aliasing (the watch hands are not rough anymore) but the notification card text looks worse. The text appears to not have anti-aliasing applied as the line thickness varies but what I think is causing it is that the card is now transparent when using a Moto watchface. This is the main reason I stopped using Pujie Black. I really preferred the card face in Ambient Mode being opaque (actually I wish the card in non-Ambient Mode were opaque). I might contact the Pujie Black developer and ask if they can add an option for an opaque Ambient card.

Either way it's obvious Ambient Mode's aliasing and limitations, which I think turned off Tunga to the device, has been changed and likely for the better. It's certainly not jaggy anymore though I have yet to experiment to see if it can do colors.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 13, 2016

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

If your phone and watch are on the same WiFi network then Bluetooth isn't used. If your phone doesn't have WiFi always on in the settings what's probably happening is the phone is going idle and therefore dropping off the network disconnecting the watch. When it occasionally reconnects via Bluetooth, you get a notification.

This has to be murder on both batteries.

I was hoping you were right but wifi always on is toggled on. Funny because I'm getting poo poo battery life on my Nexus 6 since I started using my watch . Like being at 15-20% battery life after only unplugging 5 hours earlier, screen on time being 2 hours. I should probably try a factory reset of the phone since I haven't done that ever and starting fresh

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Either way it's obvious Ambient Mode's aliasing and limitations, which I think turned off Tunga to the device, has been changed and likely for the better. It's certainly not jaggy anymore though I have yet to experiment to see if it can do colors.

I've confirmed that Ambient Mode now has anti-aliasing enabled and colors now work though I don't know the range of the palette.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I was hoping you were right but wifi always on is toggled on. Funny because I'm getting poo poo battery life on my Nexus 6 since I started using my watch . Like being at 15-20% battery life after only unplugging 5 hours earlier, screen on time being 2 hours. I should probably try a factory reset of the phone since I haven't done that ever and starting fresh

Why don't you carry your phone with you? I have a three year old battery in my Nexus 5 so battery life on my device isn't the greatest but Wear has made no difference whatsoever on my phone. Something's weird about your usage or your setup.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

If your phone and watch are on the same WiFi network then Bluetooth isn't used.
This is not right, you have it all backwards. Wi-Fi on a Wear device is only activated if your watch leaves Bluetooth range. It will search for any Wi-Fi network that you have previously connected to on your phone (passwords are synced from your phone and stored) and, if it finds one, connect to it. It then connects to your phone via the cloud. The phone doesn't have to be on the same network, or even on Wi-Fi at all, as long as it has some kind of connection to Google's server it'll work.

LastInLine posted:

Yeah I've read about this on G+ and Reddit, they seem to have fixed it. It can also do colours but the stock Moto watchfaces do not use it.

I'd buy one but the price is still the same as it was at release so I think at this point I'd rather just wait for the various new devices this summer. Looking forward to seeing what gets made with that new Qualcomm chip.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah that's the way I thought the phone worked with Bluetooth and wifi. The battery life on the watch is great. Never below 40% at the end of the day. Of course this is pointless since my phone will die by early afternoon.

And yeah sometimes people don't carry their phone with them. I don't think my specific reasons are important but I use the sport functions of the watch to monitor my heart rates and time my workouts during my daily knee rehab sessions. And I just like to be distraction free so the phone stays in a locker.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

DangerZoneDelux posted:

And I just like to be distraction free so the phone stays in a locker.

Have you actually looked at your battery usage graphs on your phone? Because I'm guessing this probably has something to do with it. Mobile devices don't like being trapped in metal boxes.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So it looks like that with the latest update to the "clock" app the vibrate switch for alarms disables both phone and watch vibration which is loving awesome. It was really annoying to disable vibrate and have your watch happily vibrate away every morning anyway.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Note: If you woke up to your watch is displaying "Syncing... Please Wait" this morning, you can swipe it away to go back to your normal watch face. People are saying that Facer is causing it.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Has anyone gotten the TAG Heuer Connected watch? I'm debating getting a smartwatch and I told myself that regardless of what I buy, I'm getting a TAG Heuer

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't spend $1500 on a smart watch.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Endless Mike posted:

That's the thought I keep coming to

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

KingShibby posted:

Has anyone gotten the TAG Heuer Connected watch? I'm debating getting a smartwatch and I told myself that regardless of what I buy, I'm getting a TAG Heuer

I have so many questions, but I'll start with two:

What inspired this brand loyalty to TAG Heuer?

How much disposable income do you have?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Endless Mike posted:

At least not yet. I don't a problem with the idea in theory but Wear is still very immature and at least 2-3 years away from having hardware where you can say it will last as a long time purchase. Whenever Google gets it's its act together and develops some custom SOC, makes Fit not suck and build in NFC then spend $1,500.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Three Olives posted:

At least not yet. I don't a problem with the idea in theory

By that, you mean "never", and you should have a problem with that, because Wear is never going to become so good that it justifies that cost. PHONES are not good enough to justify that cost.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I have so many questions, but I'll start with two:

What inspired this brand loyalty to TAG Heuer?

How much disposable income do you have?

I'm an IndyCar guy and I support the brands that support IndyCar

Not enough right now to afford $1500, especially after this post

Three Olives posted:

At least not yet. I don't a problem with the idea in theory but Wear is still very immature and at least 2-3 years away from having hardware where you can say it will last as a long time purchase. Whenever Google gets it's its act together and develops some custom SOC, makes Fit not suck and build in NFC then spend $1,500.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Takoluka posted:

By that, you mean "never", and you should have a problem with that, because Wear is never going to become so good that it justifies that cost. PHONES are not good enough to justify that cost.

How do you "justify" a fashion accessory that happens to be functional? Current Wear hardware just isn't advanced enough that if you buy it today you will be happy with it in 3 years but the hardware isn't that far away from serious diminishing returns on upgrading like where we pretty much are with cellphones. If you are going to wear it almost every day for years why not spend $1,500? It's probably a better ROI then a decent pair of shoes.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I wear clothes everyday, nice clothes even, and I don't think I've spent $1,500 on clothes in the past decade, much less on a watch.

That said, I forgot who I was talking to, so carry on.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The killer for me would be the battery. I suspect the battery in that expensive TAG will steal wear out in a few years like any other small rechargeable. That leaves you with a really ugly $1500 bracelet.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The killer for me would be the battery. I suspect the battery in that expensive TAG will steal wear out in a few years like any other small rechargeable. That leaves you with a really ugly $1500 bracelet.

That would arguably be one of the benefits of going with a high end brand like TAG, they are most likely going to stick with supporting and making parts for their smartwatches much like they do their mechanical watches, i.e. long, long after LG and Motorola tell you to gently caress off and buy a new one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

That would arguably be one of the benefits of going with a high end brand like TAG, they are most likely going to stick with supporting and making parts for their smartwatches much like they do their mechanical watches, i.e. long, long after LG and Motorola tell you to gently caress off and buy a new one.

Counterpoint: Every German luxury car ever made.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Three Olives posted:

No, TAG will ask to your spend an additional $1500 to swap your wear device out to a traditional watch.

No, this is not made up. That's the actual EOL migration plan that's a selling point for it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

No, TAG will ask to your spend an additional $1500 to swap your wear device out to a traditional watch.

No, this is not made up. That's the actual EOL migration plan that's a selling point for it.

That's the only thing they have announced and it's swapping it out for a watch that starts at $3k so for a high end buyers that's basically getting to use the smartwatch for 2 years for free.

No, don't buy a $1,500 smartwatch right now, again, the platform is immature, lacks badly needed custom SOC at a minimum. I'm just saying that it is easy to imagine that in a few years time the hardware will be advanced to the point where we won't see significant major hardware upgrades very often and a $1,500 smartwatch is a long term investment. Just not right now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

If anyone wants to make fun of my girlish wrists again my Urbane came in:

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

It's too big on your wrist.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It's too big on your wrist.

Don't worry, I have a plan:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Three Olives posted:

That looks like a nice watch.

You have small wrists.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Don't worry, I have a plan:

Your wrist is too big

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I like the subtle "Look at the pool outside my condo."

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

KillHour posted:

I like the subtle "Look at the pool outside my condo."

Oh come on, it's a window to get better lighting, I can't help that my pool happens to be outside the window. Also this is Texas, even shithole apartment complexes that accept section 8 vouchers have swimming pools.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Hey, do you live in a condo?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Hey, do you live in a condo?

With a swimming pool. :eng101:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Three Olives posted:

Oh come on, it's a window to get better lighting, I can't help that my pool happens to be outside the window. Also this is Texas, even shithole apartment complexes that accept section 8 vouchers have swimming pools.

In my city having the luxury of two bedrooms requires you to be a millionaire. :(

Pool not included, but there is lots of rain!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

In my city having the luxury of two bedrooms requires you to be a millionaire. :(

Pool not included, but there is lots of rain!

Yes but your fine country gave us the gift of Sandra Rinomato taking people outside such homes so we could watch their hopes of ever living in them be crushed.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So now that the TAG Heuer had to step up production to meet demand and the Apple Watch is the Woot item of the day, is it time to pick a new thread title?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Ahahaha holy poo poo people are buying those loving things :psyduck:

Throw me thread title ideas, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
This is completely baffling. I mean, I get wanting a smartwatch (I have one {Watch Urbane}), but at those prices? Whyy?