Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If Blissey became a fairy type I would cry, and no one wants to see that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Cuckoo posted:

Why is anyone surprised the Ice megas and new ice types range from poor to awful when Gamefreak has had a hate boner for Ice types since Gen II?

Apparently in Gen 1 there were a whole bunch of subtle differences in Ice that made it better. Like I think Fire hits were neutral, Blizzard's accuracy was higher, stuff like that.

Fire hits were neutral because almost all Ice types from Gen I are also Water types. :v:

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I'm honestly just shocked that Ice has no real resistances to speak of for 6 whole generations. You know. ice. The relatively hard stuff.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Veks posted:

Fire hits were neutral because almost all Ice types from Gen I are also Water types. :v:

Hits against fire were neutral, though. That resistance only came into being in Gen 2.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Geostomp posted:

Totally forgot about her. She kinda fades into the background as a retroactive stone evolver (from one of the rarest stones) and being contrasted with her horrifying counterpart Glalie. Maybe if she got a mega, that would change.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if she got one after Gallade got one as well.

And Ice/Ghost would be a decent offensive typing - though hilariously shut down by Pyroar and Azumarill of all Pokemon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Talks like this make me really, really wish Gamefreak would bite the bullet and remake the entire type chart with something like each type being strong against and weak/immune to a certain number of others. Make something approaching balance instead of running off moon logic.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Hits against fire were neutral, though. That resistance only came into being in Gen 2.

It only came into play because people were sick of it being super effective against their Charizards. :colbert:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Geostomp posted:

Talks like this make me really, really wish Gamefreak would bite the bullet and remake the entire type chart with something like each type being strong against and weak/immune to a certain number of others. Make something approaching balance instead of running off moon logic.

Asymmetrical balance is cool and good though (not that the type chart wouldn't benefit from an overhaul, but giving everything the same number/proportion of strengths and weaknesses is something only autists care about.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gabriel Pope posted:

Asymmetrical balance is cool and good though (not that the type chart wouldn't benefit from an overhaul, but giving everything the same number/proportion of strengths and weaknesses is something only autists care about.)

Yeah I agree minus mental illness as a pejorative

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Filthy Haiku posted:

I'm honestly just shocked that Ice has no real resistances to speak of for 6 whole generations. You know. ice. The relatively hard stuff.

if ice is so hard why can i break it with my teeth

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

if ice is so hard why can i break it with my teeth

Your teeth are Rock-type :colbert:

Ice should resist Grass and Flying at the very least, and maybe Dragon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Alabaster White posted:

Ice should resist Grass and Flying at the very least, and maybe Dragon.

Yeah, literally the last loving thing Grass needs is more things that resist it.

Have Ice resist Fighting and Ground.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Zore posted:

Yeah, literally the last loving thing Grass needs is more things that resist it.

Those make sense, or at least as much sense as dragon being ice weak does. Those would be some loving excellent immunities too, it would give all of the ice types cursed with physically defensive stats something to do besides die.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cuckoo posted:

Those make sense, or at least as much sense as dragon being ice weak does. Those would be some loving excellent immunities too, it would give all of the ice types cursed with physically defensive stats something to do besides die.

:ssh: Dragon's weak to ice because the ice age killed the dinosaurs.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The only weakness I've never been able to figure out a reason for is Psychic > Poison. Everything else is pretty self-evident or has a clever explanation, but that one is just :shrug:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Alabaster White posted:

The only weakness I've never been able to figure out a reason for is Psychic > Poison. Everything else is pretty self-evident or has a clever explanation, but that one is just :shrug:
Mind over matter?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Alabaster White posted:

I always assume that sort of stuff comes from weird japanese folklore.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I think that if there's a move that only a lower evolution can learn, and you evolve it, with a stone for example, before that level, it never learns it and thus can't re-learn it.

Sacred Sword can only be learned by doublade, so if you evolve it into aegislash too early you're hosed.

No, Aegislash has Sacred Sword in its move list so you can go to the Move Reminder for it. All the gen VI stone evos have this QOL feature, other examples are Moonblast on Florges and Electrify on Heliolisk.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I like the theory of Psychic's weaknesses being based off of common fears--bugs, ghosts, and the dark.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if she got one after Gallade got one as well.

Slowking too then

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Theta Zero posted:

I like the theory of Psychic's weaknesses being based off of common fears--bugs, ghosts, and the dark.

evil is also a pretty big fear

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Alabaster White posted:

No, it's common knowledge that teeth are Dark-type.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alabaster White posted:

The psychic Pokemon are using their mind powers to rupture the venom sacs inside of the poison Pokemon. This cause's the venom to leak out and damage other internal organs.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Aithon posted:

No, it's common knowledge that teeth are Dark-type.

Yeah that's why Bite and Crunch got retyped to Dark.

Unless you have elemental teeth like Fire Fang/Thunder Fang/Ice Fang

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kurieg posted:

:ssh: Dragon's weak to ice because the ice age killed the dinosaurs.

No it's because dragons are cool but ice is cooler

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

Ice should be immune to Water. Also, Dragon should be weak to Steel and Grass should resist Rock and lose the weakness to Flying (with Flying losing its Grass resistance). Toss in Water being weak to Poison.

Edit: Steel weak to Electric as well.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 25, 2016

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

EDIT ^^^ those type changes make so much more sense

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The psychic Pokemon are using their mind powers to rupture the venom sacs inside of the poison Pokemon. This cause's the venom to leak out and damage other internal organs.

Does it make me a terrible person to want to see this animated ingame whenever a super effective Psychic attack hits a Poison type? :unsmigghh:

I'd bet the weirdish holdover types like Psychic/Poison are holdovers from Gen 1 where after figuring out the ones that would make the most sense, like Water being not very effective to Grass, they had a bunch of types left over with no obvious weaknesses and went "uhhh gently caress it" and glued the rest together.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh dear.

The Sun and the Moon
I cannot say that I was ready for this.
But when worlds collide,
and all that I have is all that I want.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mega Solrock and Mega Lunatone

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well I guess the completely new Pokemon reveal was kind of a giveaway.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Oh dear.

The Sun and the Moon
But when worlds collide,

Lol they are really running out of creative ways to imply Red and Blue aren't they?

Still, ohshitohshit maybe this means we actually will get some news regarding the main games soon :dance:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Oh dear.

The Sun and the Moon
But when worlds collide,

I guess this means good things for sun and moon themed guys like Espeon and Umbreon.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Hmm, judging by the names alone those might actually be Gen 7 games.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Geostomp posted:

I guess this means good things for sun and moon themed guys like Espeon and Umbreon.

I bet you all my pokedollars that there will be 2 box legends related to the sun and moon but Espeon/Umbreon/Solrock/Lunatone/any older Pokemon already relating to day/night will be completely forgotten.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cuckoo posted:

I bet you all my pokedollars that there will be 2 box legends related to the sun and moon but Espeon/Umbreon/Solrock/Lunatone/any older Pokemon already relating to day/night will be completely forgotten.

There's always mega evolutions. Wonder where we're going this time, Poke-Mexico?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Rip Gen 6, you were ok

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Cuckoo posted:

Primal Sunflora incoming

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Oh my god I'd love a Poke-Mexico :swoon: Aztec-inspired Pokemon and dungeons would loving rule.

less laughter posted:

Primal Sunflora incoming

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Geostomp posted:

There's always mega evolutions. Wonder where we're going this time, Poke-Mexico?

To the surface of the Sun, obviously. The only playable character will be Magcargo.

• Locked thread