Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Since the Army Marksmanship Unit is here at Benning there's been a push for LT's to go through some extra training thing they put on but I haven't had a chance to go yet. The guys that have been say it's great training, I just hope I can get to do it before I PCS.

Apparently dudes that were shooting marksman were shooting expert by the time they were done, plus they do a bunch of extra stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head. Supposed to be a really laid back course too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

MurderBot posted:

Which is another story in and of itself, there were so many individuals that had to attempt BRM qual over...and over.......and over it was insane. poo poo, even after going to the firing line 3-4 times people had to wait until the next company would go to the range, get shuttled out with them and shoot.

That's pretty much me. I can't shoot well at all and once a year at the range isn't getting me better. I'm pretty sure my main problem is sight picture/ having my glasses fog up and shift while I'm trying to shoot let alone see the 300 and 250 m targets.

I've thought about getting laser eye surgery with marksmanship improvement being the biggest reason why but meh... effort.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Actually, the army marksmanship unit is pretty loving legit. They've got some truly amazing shooters over there, and quite a few Olympic medalists. They've also got an absolutely amazing CNC workshop where they churn out tricked out rifles and handguns. They used to shoot skeet and trap at the civilian range there, and handguns at the little range by the gas station on Dixie road. I used to wander by and they were always down for a chat and even let me play with their toys a little bit, so they are totally dreamy in my book.

Also, dudes rolling around everywhere with Presidents Hundred tabs which is probably only one of 2 army pieces of flair worth an actual poo poo.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

not caring here posted:

Actually, the army marksmanship unit is pretty loving legit. They've got some truly amazing shooters over there, and quite a few Olympic medalists. They've also got an absolutely amazing CNC workshop where they churn out tricked out rifles and handguns. They used to shoot skeet and trap at the civilian range there, and handguns at the little range by the gas station on Dixie road. I used to wander by and they were always down for a chat and even let me play with their toys a little bit, so they are totally dreamy in my book.

Also, dudes rolling around everywhere with Presidents Hundred tabs which is probably only one of 2 army pieces of flair worth an actual poo poo.

I have no doubts that there are some amazing shooters in the military, but I was talking more about an initial entry marksmanship, which I guess makes sense, since shooting is a skill that takes thousands upon thousands of rounds to become proficient at, and is extremely perishable if you don't shoot for prolonged periods of time.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Anyone heard of Advanced Situational Awareness Training? Apparently it's a week long course and I'm taking it before stryker leaders.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

My first time qualifying wearing an IBA was a tragedy. I was behind the rest of the company by an hour at the zero range

Really embarassing since every other time i qualified i always got 33 and zeroed in at most 2 tries

Yeah i never shot a gun outside of the army ever

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

Anyone heard of Advanced Situational Awareness Training? Apparently it's a week long course and I'm taking it before stryker leaders.

I think it's just a week of smoking crack/meth.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

My first time qualifying wearing an IBA was a tragedy. I was behind the rest of the company by an hour at the zero range

Really embarassing since every other time i qualified i always got 33 and zeroed in at most 2 tries

Yeah i never shot a gun outside of the army ever

What you can't shoot when you're wearing the wrong size IBA that will go back into a closet after this range and not be seen for another year, but for right now is riding up the base of your skull and making your neck support the full weight of it's back plate every time you want to look forward? What a shocker. Next you'll tell me that the ballistic eyewear fogging up so bad you can't see the 50 target clearly is a problem or the piece of poo poo jamfest that is your weapon is a problem too.

Guess you're just a terrible soldier and need to fix yourself.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

We were just issued them like a week before (this was during premob at fort dix)

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
fort dicks

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Do people not Qualify with their IBA/body armor anymore?

I did and gently caress that, I was high BRM for the platoon at 33, and the company BRM was like 35.. Everyone else was shooting 10-25

And one dude, god bless his heart, shot a 5. At the end it was him and the company commander on line, and the CO was literally next to him in the kneeling position shooting at targets as well. I mean I know we needed fresh bodies to slay browns in 2005 but lol.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Given a properly sized vest and helmet, it's really just down to how the firing line is set up. Assuming relatively no starting slope you basically make a little ramp in your pit by moving some of the sand/dirt forward so your chest is raised up a bit and your dick is lower down in the dirt. Proper fitting gear plus ensuring your body slopes down slightly away from the rifle will solve the majority of those problems. Past that it's literally just kick your legs out as wide as they'll comfortably go with your heels on the dirt, canted a little bit behind the rifle so you can draw a line through your body and run back midline between your legs, and chill the gently caress out.

Throw the sandbags away, let the rifle rest on the mag (steal some PMAGs or find some STANAGs with the orange Magpul followers if your rifle acts fucky doing this), and gently using your toes put a little bit of weight (aka loading, usually with bipods) into the magazine. That should be the only tension in your body, just the slightest bit of pressure from your toes shifting your body forward and putting a tiny bit of tension on the rifle rest (the magazine in this case). Your firing hand can stay almost completely loose with a relaxed hold on the grip, avoiding fatigue-induced tremors from where most people try to pull the buttstock through their shoulders. Rear bags are a bit too esoteric for most people but you can still just ball your offhand up and rest it under the point of the buttstock, using it to help drop your point of aim when necessary and providing a little more stability. Pivoting on the mag is also really easy for picking up the pop-ups, too.

The biggest thing at the end of the day is seriously just chilling the gently caress out and relaxing, the second you start getting all wound up like a spring and twitchy is the second your shooting will start going to poo poo and just propagating that vicious cycle. I went from never having touched a rifle to shooting the lights out and consistent 39-40s just by doing all of that, it's not like it's some mysterious magical formula.

EDIT: Holy poo poo that's a lot of shooting autism.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 25, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
right now somewhere in the world a a gip goon is standing in formation :help: :gaz: :fag: :petdog: :spiderguy: :quig: :iiniku: :coolspot: :caro: :heritage: :flip: :gop: :30bux:

also man there are some pointless emoticons

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
:30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Tbf that one is petty good because I kept tapping the spoiler bar :downs:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Today everyone on Ft Hood was released early to get ready for family day tomorrow.

This means some GIP goon is trying to disappear while his senior leadership is freaking out, trying to detail a barracks in case the CSM decided he's gonna waste his time inspecting barracks.

I know this is true because at 1630 local some poor fucks were picking up leaves and routing sidewalks even though they were "released" early.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
yeah I didn't realize the potential at first, I guess someone :30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux:blah blah test will use it.

not very convincing though for trickery :(

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
When I was at basic, my eyepro kept fogging on the range. My drill sergeant noticed and told me that while I had to wear the eyepro, as far as he was concerned as long as they were on my face I was still wearing the eyepro wink wink.

I pushed them down over my nose so I could see what the gently caress I was doing and got a thumbs up from him.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MurderBot posted:

Do people not Qualify with their IBA/body armor anymore?

I did and gently caress that, I was high BRM for the platoon at 33, and the company BRM was like 35.. Everyone else was shooting 10-25

And one dude, god bless his heart, shot a 5. At the end it was him and the company commander on line, and the CO was literally next to him in the kneeling position shooting at targets as well. I mean I know we needed fresh bodies to slay browns in 2005 but lol.

Qualifying with the old Kevlar helmet was so loving awful. The ACH is a lot better.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I am a terrible shot. Always have been. It's partly that fogging eyepro and lovely vision makes it hard to see, and also the I'm just bad and or don't care a whole lot about it. If I get whatever is passing (23?) then I am fine.

Not like I'll ever fire my weapon other than on the range anyway.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Shooting slick with regular hats feels so loving good, when you look around and realized you're being treated like an adult about to go secure American interests. No one got shot, it was so weird.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

is eyepro mandatory when shooting now or something

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It's been mandatory for years.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
eye pro is funny, but whats more funny is the people that wear the issue poo poo like 24/7 like a boss.

About the only thing more lame is the 3 or 4 guys I saw in my life wearing the trench coat with street clothes

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm trying to break the habit of calling everything "gay" and it made that last post make no sense so I apologize please understand this is a difficult process

also "retarded"

those are 50% of my vocabulary :(

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 26, 2016

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Better have your eyepro on when you walk to the shitter, Soldier!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Naked Bear posted:

God loving dammit trigger warning that poo poo, you're making me remember my time in Bagram. 24/7 eyepro for a year if you were outside.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My biggest issue with the eyepro is that I wear glasses, so i have those dumb snap-in corrective lenses that go behind the eyepro lenses, so there are two layers of plastic with a layer of (usually) humid air trapped between them, so it fogs up and there's poo poo I can do about it. I also sweat like a bitch, especially when wearing a helmet and full gear so sweat gets trapped in there as well. It's a wonder I even know which direction is downrange from the tower.

At least I know which way to load the magazine, I guess. That alone puts me above some of my peers.

Naked Bear posted:

Reminds me of a SGM who locked one of our SCIF guards up at parade rest so he could berate him for not having his eyepro on. He kept yelling, "Why aren't you getting your eyepro?!" and when the guy tried to head into the building to get it, the SGM would yell, "Don't walk away when I'm talking to you!"

Oh, Army...

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Just get contacts man, everything is so much worse with glasses in the army.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Just get contacts man, everything is so much worse with glasses in the army.

The last range I went to, people got chewed out for wearing contacts. :v:

"They're not allowed when deployed and you're training like you fight HOOAH NO CONTACTS!"

I also already checked and I'm not eligible for corrective surgery because I have calcification on one of my eyes. The docs are afraid it'll get aggravated during the procedure and potentially blind me in one eye. So that'd be kind of bad.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Aranan posted:

I am a terrible shot. Always have been. It's partly that fogging eyepro and lovely vision makes it hard to see, and also the I'm just bad and or don't care a whole lot about it. If I get whatever is passing (23?) then I am fine.

Not like I'll ever fire my weapon other than on the range anyway.

This. I also wear sunglasses and claim they are ballistic. Eyebrows is gonna do gently caress all on the range. Also lol at the people who have to wear eyebrows in garrison. I feel so bad for them

1 CQ shift down, 1 more to go. Then no more ever.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I dont know, I wore contacts every day in the army after basic and nobody gave a drat ever. The only time I ever wore glasses after that (BCGs, ironically enough) was for the two times I had to go into a chamber with VX gas, and they're REALLY stringent for that.

edit yeah if you have some kind of eye problem then stay away from contacts holy cow, my bad

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

This. I also wear sunglasses and claim they are ballistic. Eyebrows is gonna do gently caress all on the range. Also lol at the people who have to wear eyebrows in garrison. I feel so bad for them

1 CQ shift down, 1 more to go. Then no more ever.

Look at the thread title. I'm sorry.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If I were still in, the new thread title would possibly be terrifying. I'm out though and it :feelsgood:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Icon Of Sin posted:

If I were still in, the new thread title would possibly be terrifying. I'm out though and it :feelsgood:

:coolspot:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

edit yeah if you have some kind of eye problem then stay away from contacts holy cow, my bad
No worries. "Get rid of the glasses" is solid advice for a ton of poo poo in the Army, or even just physical activities outside of it. Deadlifts in particular usually result in my glasses falling off of my face, so I just do it mostly blind. Luckily that's not a big deal.

Icon Of Sin posted:

gently caress the title. No way. 455 days. Uuuugh.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You're all getting stop lossed

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I regret never getting Lasik or PRK/whatever when I got out. I'm an idiot and plan to go back in, so during OCS i'll be wearing those god drat glasses.

My eyes are both -5 .something which means each would cost around 3k to fix....per eye.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I paid about $3600 for both eyes PRK about five years ago and it was the best goddamn money I ever spent. They gave me a military discount even though I told them I was out. Nice people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mike-o posted:

Look at the thread title. I'm sorry.

Nah. PEB came back saying "no loving way is this dude staying in." Just waiting on ratings. Then orders :getin:

• Locked thread